03 & 05 in O gauge

steve fay

2 hours ago, JeffP said:

Not all.

Those done at Doncaster weren't 

23 hours ago, JeffP said:

I wanted a blue vac brake one with cone chimney. 

But for some reason HJ has done that one with black buffer beams. I never saw one so painted. 

I know they existed, but weren't common, so why, HJ?

The following had black buffer beams from around 1979-80. 03017, ex works from Doncaster in 1979. 03021, 03022, 03026, not known if painted at Doncaster or Swindon. Just to add that 03034 was also ex-works from Doncaster in Nov 1979 with black buffer beams, although has the flower pot chimney.

Paul J.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Paul.

I was basing my comment on a search of my photos. I took quite a few of 03's, since I had a soft spot for them, (looked a bit like a steam loco), but cannot find a single example of one with a black buffer beam.

My photos were taken all over the network from 1973 until their eventual withdrawal.

All I can conclude is that black must be correct, but was maybe rarer than Heljan thought. I'd love to know why they chose it. Maybe worked from a photo supplied to them that had the black buffer beam.

Added to say: just spent ten minutes on Google images. Found ONE photo from Paul Bartlett's site of 03170 so painted in capital stock. ALL the other photos showing black buffer beams are in preservation.

I wonder if that's what HJ were given, or saw?

If you go to Brian Daniel”s site on Flickr, the O3 album has quite a few with black buffer beams, though most are yellow,

Class 03

Doesn’t help if you are set on yellow though.

Loved the Flickr link from Swindon 123.   Wish I had thought to take a camera to work in the 1980s.  All memories.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Has anyone any recommendations for a speaker for DCC ? The digitrains decoder arrived today along with the loco.

I assume the socket marked cn6 is for the speaker ?

thanks

Roger

Digitrains supplied a small cube speaker which just fits.  Sound is OK.  I bought a little plug as recommended in the thread on sound fitting the Heljan 128.  This fits into CN6.  The stay alive is on the cab floor.  I have posted a little video on YouTube.

Pleased with the sound

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Back from Bristol show and having now seen one of the Class 03's in person I have decided not to buy one at present.

What has put me off is the running board is not straight. It bows upwards in the middle. I spoke to a Gent who had bought one and he pointed this out to me. Having looked at all the examples on offer at the show, they were all the same. If you look at photos on various large vendors sites you will see what I mean when viewed square on from the side.

Not sure if this can be rectified?

Cheers, Ade.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Back from Bristol show and having now seen one of the Class 03's in person I have decided not to buy one at present.

What has put me off is the running board is not straight. It bows upwards in the middle. I spoke to a Gent who had bought one and he pointed this out to me. Having looked at all the examples on offer at the show, they were all the same. If you look at photos on various large vendors sites you will see what I mean when viewed square on from the side.

Cheers, Ade.

I don’t think it’s a massive problem. When I got mine I had a wonky running board and when viewed head on the loco leaned to one side. I took the body off and the running board is really flimsy I’m going to reinforce it with brass strip and that will work. I packed one side up and all is not leaning now. I understand your thoughts but honestlly it’s an easy fix and a cracking loco.

36 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Cheers, Ade.

I checked mine and there is a bow on one side but as deltic fan says it is easily fixed.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

Has anyone carried out the small modifications to the 03 mentioned in RM and REM reviews to remove the parts distorting the footplates?

Chris

I hadn't seen those articles - can anyone explain the detail behind how to do this potential solution?

4 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Has anyone carried out the small modifications to the 03 mentioned in RM and REM reviews to remove the parts distorting the footplates?

Chris

Not yet Chris, going to wait until my blue one arrives and then do them both. It looks simple having read the RM article though; body off, file bits sticking up, replace body?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 37114 said:

Not yet Chris, going to wait until my blue one arrives and then do them both. It looks simple having read the RM article though; body off, file bits sticking up, replace body?

Thanks - I'm sure I'll get one for Bakewell Street but I'm interested to see what needs doing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

Thanks - I'm sure I'll get one for Bakewell Street but I'm interested to see what needs doing

Assuming my Blue one arrives tomorrow, I will try and have a go tomorrow and stick some photos on here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1