03 & 05 in O gauge

steve fay

Right curiosity got the better of me so I just had a go at my green one, only took 30 mins but a couple of bits are fiddly. First off a before picture which shows the distortion, it is worse on the driver/nearside:

thumbnail_20200220_180932.jpg.51f3c36c94335ef2bffb11bdef7e956c.jpg

First off remove the body, there are 4 screws, 2 under the cab, 2 at the bonnet:

thumbnail_20200220_181117.jpg.fdd0e08ca4493ea5bf7938ddf3ec6cd3.jpg

When the screws are undone first the body can be lifted off although it is still attached by the cab lights. Next the running plate lifts off, this is fiddly. You need to gently pull the bottom of the buffer beam at the cab end backward and lift up the rear of the running plate over the motor casing then slide the running plate forward. There is a flat triangular strengthening piece attached each side of the chassis, carefully push them upwards so the steps pass in front of them and slide the running plate forward until the footplate is clear of the triangles and the LEDS.

thumbnail_20200220_181309.jpg.60e79f58da9023e90e370d8f307df133.jpg

With the running plate out of the way the offending mounting points can be seen:

thumbnail_20200220_181336.jpg.fc9903b26a11b8401f872bacdfcb554c.jpgthumbnail_20200220_181443.jpg.c388b4ad6a6ceee6abd125e71c0ad903.jpg

5 mins later with a needle file they were flat:

thumbnail_20200220_182021.jpg.088626761dac2a8196f233ff7e6fc6d2.jpg

As the Haynes Manual says, "Re-assembly is the reverse of disassembly". I found I needed a magnetic screwdriver to get the cab screws back in. Circled below is the cab light switch for those who hadn't found it and don't use DCC.

thumbnail_20200220_183100.jpg.becbdd91aec6067d6f8ee7d5ff120582.jpg

The end result, one straight running plate, note how the horizontal pipe is no longer visible.

thumbnail_20200220_183152.jpg.a412302eebe674c2d7c421f7329639ef.jpg

It is quite straightforward and only took me 30 mins including getting the tools and loco out of the box.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, AeBor said:

Does anyone know if the model of 03107 has the running plate issue?

Funnily enough I have emailed Rails about the very same loco...I'm happy to do the fix but I'd prefer not to....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 37114 said:

My Blue one just arrived, looks great and doesn't appear to have the running plate issues thankfully. Just needs some numbers (03121) and weathering.

That looks nice.  

03 121 was always the more elusive of the Bath Road 03’s (often hidden away at the back of the sheds),  and at the time I was ‘spotting’ rarely seen on Lawrence Hill trips.  I don’t recall it ever being as well turned out as 382.

Please post an image when numbered and weathered...

Neal

1 hour ago, neal said:

That looks nice.  

03 121 was always the more elusive of the Bath Road 03’s (often hidden away at the back of the sheds),  and at the time I was ‘spotting’ rarely seen on Lawrence Hill trips.  I don’t recall it ever being as well turned out as 382.

Please post an image when numbered and weathered...

Neal

Thanks Neal will do. I have done some research and I will need to replace the arrow and data panel as they were in different positions on 03121 compared to the Heljan model. 

14 hours ago, 37114 said:

I think it might be ok, it should be the same base model as my un-numbered blue one 

Many thanks 37114. I have one or order and I am still going ahead with my purchase even if it happens to be a little distorted 

I know Heljan locos have a reputation for being difficult to renumber or remove printing without taking off the colour underneath but I tried T Cut and a cotton bud today on my blue one and had no problem just removing the arrow without damaging the paint underneath. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Got my blue ones today

Lovely model in terms of shape, flush glazing etc, can't really fault it (apart from the horrible thick arrows of indecision they have applied - so that needs removing and replacing with Fox ones)

BUT,

I really do think they should be somewhat more controllable at low speed (in particular as they are a shunting loco). They run smoothly once going but starting off from stationary is a bit too jerky for my liking. Maybe it will perform better on DCC? but I have my doubts somewhat.

The Dapol 08 is a much smoother runner and a fraction of the price.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, deltic17 said:

Got my blue ones today

Lovely model in terms of shape, flush glazing etc, can't really fault it (apart from the horrible thick arrows of indecision they have applied - so that needs removing and replacing with Fox ones)

BUT,

I really do think they should be somewhat more controllable at low speed (in particular as they are a shunting loco). They run smoothly once going but starting off from stationary is a bit too jerky for my liking. Maybe it will perform better on DCC? but I have my doubts somewhat.

Railtec are now doing the bespoke class 03 transfer sets, I have just received my set for 03121, it also includes the BR arrows. Have yet to run my ones to report back on the running but disappointed to hear yours are not that smooth. 

Heljan seem to have done every possible combination of colour and chimney...except cone chimney, blue.

I know they have done that combination with black buffer beams, but that seems to have been a minority of locos, so it's a common loco not included.

And since paint shade is VERY  difficult to match, a simple repaint isn't going to be easy...even if I could get yellow to cover black without obliterating a lot of detail.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, deltic17 said:

Got my blue ones today

BUT,

Mine also arrived yesterday. Time on the rolling road seemed to improve things as did a tinyy bit of lubrication.

Interesting fact - the red and white lights are on at the cab end only whatever direction. What have others found? I will be installing DCC so hopefully that will be resolved...

It is a very nice looking loco and any footplate issues were minimal. I think handling needs to be "thoughtful" however...

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Mine also arrived yesterday. Time on the rolling road seemed to improve things as did a tinyy bit of lubrication.

Interesting fact - the red and white lights are on at the cab end only whatever direction. What have others found? I will be installing DCC so hopefully that will be resolved...

It is a very nice looking loco and any footplate issues were minimal. I think handling needs to be "thoughtful" however...

Chris

On mine the shunting lights are on at both ends permanently as it runs along which is how it should be.

I agree handling is tricky - I am resorting to lifting it carefully using the 4 steps at each end of the loco...

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, deltic17 said:

On mine the shunting lights are on at both ends permanently as it runs along which is how it should be.

I agree handling is tricky - I am resorting to lifting it carefully using the 4 steps at each end of the loco...

Just had a re-look in less bright conditions and  - yes - mine are OK.

As for handling I think it will stay screwed to the base for things like weathering.

Received my blue un numbered one today.  Runs reasonably well but makes a bit of a grinding noise at slow speed which will hopefully improve with running in.  Very slight distortion on the running plate but hardly noticeable.

Is there a suggested DCC chip for best use and assume there is no need for a large decoder and a normal decoder will do as only single motor?

E

• RMweb Premium
On 26/02/2020 at 08:05, JeffP said:

Heljan seem to have done every possible combination of colour and chimney...except cone chimney, blue.

I know they have done that combination with black buffer beams, but that seems to have been a minority of locos, so it's a common loco not included.

And since paint shade is VERY  difficult to match, a simple repaint isn't going to be easy...even if I could get yellow to cover black without obliterating a lot of detail.

Probably easier to buy a flower pot one with yellow beams and then a spare cone chimney when Gaugemaster are up and running.