03 & 05 in O gauge

steve fay

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JeffP said:

And then paint that and blend it in?

Sigh...I  suppose.

I didn't know Gaugemaster did chimneys, or that they weren't trading.

Gaugemaster are taking over selling Heljan spares in March so theoretically you could buy a spare blue cone chimney.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/02/2020 at 06:48, neal said:

That looks nice.  

03 121 was always the more elusive of the Bath Road 03’s (often hidden away at the back of the sheds),  and at the time I was ‘spotting’ rarely seen on Lawrence Hill trips.  I don’t recall it ever being as well turned out as 382.

Please post an image when numbered and weathered...

Neal

As promised 

20200312_204431.jpg

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Gilbert said:

My weathering effort - I've also installed a Digitrains sound project on a Zimo decoder. Very pleased.

MSP1010888.JPG

MSP1010890.JPG

Looks really good

The cabside window looks a bit loose (in case you haven't noticed)

It seems that the Bristol locos are a very popular choice!     I've done D2121 in blue as well.    Looking at photos oh her, she was fitted with a bell on the hood below the cab horn.    I made one from plastic rod, but I'm not sure that it worked too well. Does anyone know if its possible to buy a small bell casting that would do the job?   

Edited by Clarky1000
Typo

4 hours ago, Clarky1000 said:

It seems that the Bristol locos are a very popular choice!     I've done D2121 in blue as well.    Looking at photos oh her, she was fitted with a bell on the hood below the cab horn.    I made one from plastic rod, but I'm not sure that it worked too well. Does anyone know if its possible to buy a small bell casting that would do the job?   

I was going to look at some of the Maritime modelling suppliers,  I used a brass top hat bearing for my 4mm model so the same logic may apply in 7mm?

On 22/01/2020 at 11:07, Maybachmd655 said:

Digitrains supplied a small cube speaker which just fits.  Sound is OK.  I bought a little plug as recommended in the thread on sound fitting the Heljan 128.  This fits into CN6.  The stay alive is on the cab floor.  I have posted a little video on YouTube.

Pleased with the sound

Hi Maybach, Which 128 thread was this, as i can't find it, and where did you source the plugs from that fit CN6 ?

• RMweb Gold

I got this from Maybach..

The topic is on page 2 of Heljan titled class 117/121/120/128 dmus.  The chip fitting is discussed on page 4 of that thread.  The relevant bit is this:

”I've made the same experience with the Heljan AC Railbus. The PCB looks very much like the one implemented in the AC Railbus, probably a standard type. And yes, "CN6" is the correct port for the speakers. The next issue is finding the corresponding type of plug. You (and others) will need this item

http://uk.farnell.com/jst-japan-solderless-terminals/02sur-02sur-32w150/lead-2way-0-8mm-150mm/dp/3852313?ost=02SUR-02SUR-32W150&iscrfnonsku=false&ddkey=http%3Aen-GB%2FElement14_United_Kingdom%2Fsearch”

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 15/03/2020 at 10:28, Clarky1000 said:

I'm also looking at doing D2121 in blue with mine,I've got pic from eBay a while ago of it and D2122 together and that also had a bell fitted,not ordered anything yet but the Cornwall Model Boats website has  various sizes listed that should do the job.

Rob

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, deltic17 said:

I am surprised someone hasn't come out with the bits to convert one of these 03's to an air braked example. Looks like I am going to have to do some scratchbuilding……!!

If your experience is like my Presflo build you will be safe in the knowledge that your scratch build will prompt Heljan to announce an RTR version. Should be a nice project though.

• Funny 1

There were some brass bits suitable for that on ebay recently, taken off a Bachmann Brass air-braked version.

I don't think they sold.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

What recommendations for number transfers do folk have, suitable for applying D2127 to an unnumbered Heljan plain green 03?

I'm not used to diesel numbering fonts, so any help to point me in the right direction is appreciated.

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

What recommendations for number transfers do folk have, suitable for applying D2127 to an unnumbered Heljan plain green 03?

I'm not used to diesel numbering fonts, so any help to point me in the right direction is appreciated.

There were at least a couple of different fonts used, do you have a photo?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mark Forrest said:

There were at least a couple of different fonts used, do you have a photo?

Several of the loco but none that show the number. 

Edit... Appears to be the earlier font.

Interesting colour shot of D2127 in Sept 66 with red shed plate:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/110691393@N07/13854089785

Close up of the cab side sheet appears to show the early number style like the Heljan one??

rps20200625_211832.jpg.8f0e20af3d945a85362057366a637255.jpg

rps20200625_205551.jpg.e43eb6174685fe1c58fe2c5be77ab71c.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Willoughby Glen said:

Looking to model boston 03s and not sure if its lowflats or conflat wagons they have.  Can someone please advise?

Thanks in advance

Based on a quick perusal of Google images, looks like a conflat L to me, which I dont think anyone does so with have to convert or scratch build.