03 & 05 in O gauge

steve fay

• RMweb Premium

I sometime despair at the antics of some of the members of the Gauge O Guild. I posted a link to Andy's latest photos of the 03 and came back from a few days away to find that a member had questioned if I had contravened their 'Rule 6'. I suppose I did by not adding a disclaimer stating that I was not an employee of Heljan or had any connection with a retailer of their products !

6. You are not permitted to post or link anything that serves to promote any goods, services, transaction or commercial entity that you have any involvement with until express permission is sought from the forum administrator. Factual comments are permitted if accompanied by an appropriate ‘disclaimer'.

You would have thought that they would have been grateful for the information (some were and noted their thanks) but it really makes me wonder why should I bother . . !!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Mike has my support for doing the right thing as ever.

The G0G Rule 6 about not providing information about new products etc is completely batty and they will have to change it if they want to stay relevant.

Possibly they were over-concerned about superannuated members being mis-sold overpriced loco products they didn't need? Not that Heljan is the biggest offender here, look at some of the brass locos where you can do better in Gauge 1 or even 5" gauge if you choose carefully.

Anyway I'll be off to Guildex this Sunday but not shopping for Heljan, a Minerva Manning Wardle + a long shopping list is going to cost me quite enough.

Dava

Any GOG forum members will obviously have to cover their eyes at this point then.

We’re delighted to report that our Gauge O Class 03 diesel shunter is progressing well and can now confirm the details of the first production run due in 2019. This superb model is likely to be extremely popular for layouts large and small spanning the steam/diesel transition era through to the 1990s. Features will include fine detail, a 21-pin DCC interface, working lights, sprung buffers and couplings and a highly detailed cab interior. Suggested retail price (SRP) is £349.00 each, making it excellent value for money. No fewer than 14 versions of these eagerly awaited models will be released in BR green (with or without 'wasp' warning stripes), BR blue and industrial yellow or dark blue, with both unnumbered and fully decorated versions available. Those versions will be decorated as follows with either conical or ‘flowerpot’ exhausts (see below). Look out for further updates on these models over the coming months.

Heljan Class 03 liveries.jpg

Looking at the forthcoming 7mm 03, the livery choices seem odd.

Out of twelve proposed models, only FOUR are in blue, with the blue/chevrons conical chimney for some reason having a black buffer beam? That was a combination I NEVER saw, and I saw most of the 03's in blue.

Meanwhile, I was hoping to model this:

post-13196-0-19750600-1535967643_thumb.jpg

03008, Cambridge, circa 1977

Always found the shot atmospheric, hidden as it was, at the rear of the depot.

Edited by JeffP
  • Like 4

Looking at the forthcoming 7mm 03, the livery choices seem odd.

Out of twelve proposed models, only FOUR are in blue, with the blue/chevrons conical chimney for some reason having a black buffer beam? That was a combination I NEVER saw, and I saw most of the 03's in blue.

Meanwhile, I was hoping to model this:

attachicon.gifDiesels 70's and 80's681.jpg

03008, Cambridge, circa 1977

Always found the shot atmospheric, hidden as it was, at the rear of the depot.

Buffer beam colour is always a difficult choice, as they could change over the years.. ie. 03017 with a black buffer beam,  https://flic.kr/p/gtVXxQ   or with a yellow buffer beam,

https://flic.kr/p/yHdqRF

03022 was another one that couldn't decide on the colour.

https://flic.kr/p/pFEruW   with black BB.

https://flic.kr/p/iiK3r2      with yellow BB.

I must admit a Black buffer beam colour is a strange choice, as it is not as easy to paint a yellow buffer beam over black, as it is to paint black over yellow.

Paul J.

Hi,

Does anyone know if the 03’s ever worked in Cornwall, and if so, what loco numbers? These look really good, but don’t know if they would be plausible for my Cornish layout?

Thanks, Nick.

Laira had about half a dozen.

Not sure if any made it to Cornwall.

I'm now very tempted to get my name down on the 03 :)

I saw very few 03's in my 1970's & '80's spotting days, and of the few i do have pics' of only these have Black buffs' 179, and 399 if it helps in any bodies modeling.

03 073 was in a terrible shape at Doncaster works on 26th Sept '82. Covered in cement by the look of it?

post-31611-0-16780500-1536057728_thumb.jpg

073 is in a much better looking condition and now with Black Buffs' at Crewe on the 12th Oct' 1991 and by then preserved i assume? 

post-31611-0-67960000-1536058119_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Does anyone know if the 03’s ever worked in Cornwall, and if so, what loco numbers? These look really good, but don’t know if they would be plausible for my Cornish layout?

Thanks, Nick.

Found a couple of pics of D2127 on the Wenford Bridge branch in 1965. It wasn't up to the job and was replaced by an 08. So there was at least 1 in Cornwall...

• Like 1

03170 black buffer beam, chimney pot Birkenhead Docks 87-01-03  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/diesel03-04/e2728e7f5  

03073 black buffer beam, chimney pot York TMD 83-04-23 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/diesel03-04/e27d08546

03063 black buffer beam, chimney pot Gateshead TMD 88-09-24 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/diesel03-04/e3085c01b

Paul

Repainting a buffer beam should be within the scope of us all I would imagine. Even then, personally I wouldn't worry too much about it :)

Heljan have done un-numbered locos in the past, I wonder whether it might happen for the 03s. Different type of chimneys often seems a mindfield for the class mind.

It should prove as popular with modellers as the Dapol 08, although obviously the pricing is not as attractive.

• RMweb Premium

Repainting a buffer beam should be within the scope of us all I would imagine.

Heljan have done un-numbered locos in the past, I wonder whether it might happen for the 03s.

I think the issue is matching yellow rather than ability to paint! They have already announced un-numbered ones unless I’m misunderstanding.

Edited by Hal Nail

Different type of chimneys often seems a mindfield for the class mind.

The conical or flower pot chimney on the 03's is pretty straight forward. Loco’s D2000 to D2032 (03004-03029) fitted with a conical exhaust. This batch also included Departmentals 91 & 92 later D2370 & D2371 and even later still 03370 & 03371. From D2033 onwards “Flower Pot” exhausts where fitted. A couple of these later loco’s acquired conical exhausts. (D)2162 acquired a dumpy shorter version which it kept as 03162 into preservation and 03129 acquired one in December 1979 at a Doncaster Works overhaul which it retained until scrapping. D2070 was also noted with a conical exhaust in industrial use at Queenborough. 

Paul J.

Edited to add note on 03370 & 03371 into text.

Edited by Swindon 123

I'm now very tempted to get my name down on the 03 :)

I saw very few 03's in my 1970's & '80's spotting days, and of the few i do have pics' of only these have Black buffs' 179, and 399 if it helps in any bodies modeling.

03 073 was in a terrible shape at Doncaster works on 26th Sept '82. Covered in cement by the look of it?

attachicon.gif2011-07-23 17.57.57.jpg

073 is in a much better looking condition and now with Black Buffs' at Crewe on the 12th Oct' 1991 and by then preserved i assume? 

attachicon.gif2011-07-23 17.59.36.jpg

Not cement Bob but the result of many trips through the carriage washer at Hull Botanic Gardens depot.

Rob

I wonder if anyone is thinking of bringing the bits out to convert the standard Heljan 03 to an air braked example....that would be handy.....otherwise I've got to make them myself!!

Edited by deltic17
  • Like 1

The conical or flower pot chimney on the 03's is pretty straight forward. Loco’s D2000 to D2032 (03004-03029) fitted with a conical exhaust. This batch also included Departmentals 91 & 92 later D2370 & D2371. From D2033 onwards “Flower Pot” exhausts where fitted. A couple of these later loco’s acquired conical exhausts. (D)2162 acquired a dumpy shorter version which it kept as 03162 into preservation and 03129 acquired one in December 1979 at a Doncaster Works overhaul which it retained until scrapping. 2070 was also noted with a conical exhaust in industrial use at Queenborough.

Paul J.

Thanks that is really useful.

I don't think I will be able to justify one really but, based on that information, I'll check what type some of the Darlington and Gateshead examples were... just in case I am tempted!! ;)

Cheers

Edited by south_tyne