Sleet Locomotive kit in 4mm scale - if the demand is there!

At last, the missing link for those of us interested in the classic postwar period of London Transport's Railways could be filled by Radley Models. The sleet locomotives (ESL100-117) were built between 1938 and 1941 from 1903/4 vintage Central London Railway motor cars and then most lasted another 40 years! They were allocated to most lines with open sections to enable de icing fluid to be applied when freezing temperatures were predicted, and for clearing snow and ice already lying on conductor rails. During the winter months night crews were rostered to take them to the outlying branches when the weather dictated, whilst during the day they might be moved within the depot to be refilled with fluid from a storage tank or be loaded with drums of it. During the rest of the year they rarely moved except for being made available for crew training purposes on Sundays during the autumn, when we would usually move one back and forth from where it was stabled after being shown over and around it.

post-14054-0-86896600-1462211081.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Was it one of these stabled in the up bay at Rickmansworth in the 70s?

Not sure if my Dad might have driven these from Neasden Shed in the 60s and 70s before his diabetes meant he was confined to ticket collecting duties. I know he drove battery locos. I remember this maroon loco in the bay at Ricky which never seemed to move much.

Best regards

Matt Wood

I recall seeing both types parked up (but never together) in the Rickmansworth bay.. I regularly saw the tube gauge ones until 118a/b were converted towardst the end of the T stock era. After that I rarely saw the small ones on the Met mainline.

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

ESL118a/b were based at Ricky as late as 1974 where I learnt them! In the winter of 73/74 the old Central Line units were indeed used on the Met main lines. I recall seeing one get stuck on the northbound main at Preston Road one evening rush hour! the local lines seemed to be ok at they had  amore frequent service in those days.

I learnt the Central Line units at Ealing Broadway in 1970 as a guard.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I want one but only if I can get the body for less than £35 and can get a set of the 4 bogies for less than £16. I know where I can get the wheels and I can sort out the powering, glazing shouldn't be an issue. To reduce costs would a frame like tjf4375 be possible? It would make construction more fun and inscentivise actually building the insides, which leads me on to who has pictures of the insides? Thanks!

• 4 months later...

After finding this thread I had a go at one in N Gauge, depending on the minimum radius curve its meant to go around the inner bogies might have to be dummies as they are on mine.

post-1381-0-21692000-1517505499_thumb.jpg

its to be powered by a Kato Shorty chassis by the way.

Steve.

• Like 3