Little Salkeld on the S&C

Hi,

I'm building an exhibition layout based on Little Salkeld which is one of the smaller, less well known stations on the S&C and which will be predominantly focussed on the 1960-65 period.

The layout is a bit of a hybrid in that its N gauge but the track will be a mixture of all hand built points (copperclad etc) and fiNetraX track components all using the finer code 40 rail. The station track layout has been temploted and little or no compression is required.

I'm looking to make an accurate as possible model and to that end I have collected a few highly relevant books such as the late David Jenkinson's 'Rails in the Fells' and 'Stations and Structures of the S&C Railway' by Anderson and Fox (both very good for the modeller), however what I'm really lacking is information and pictures covering Little Salkeld station - I'm not surprised as its a lesser known station.

I'm planning a weekend in the Little Salkeld area to do a bit of 'on the ground research' in the not too distant future, but thought I would also ask here if anybody has any information/pictures to share or can point me in the right direction to obtain it.

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

It's always good to see another addition to the S&C line on here. Welcome.

I've had a glance through a number of S&C related books and can find very little that would enhance the photos in the Anderson & Fox book. Plate 144 in "The Settle to Carlisle: A Tribute" by Roger Siviter shows a snowy view of the station buildings in January 1983. Sorry, I don't have a scanner to put the image on here for you.

I'll keep looking and see if anything else comes up.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure you've been told at club that modelling the Midland could have you barred, I understand there is to be a specific clause to that effect in the new constitution and rules.....even if written in crayon

:blum:  

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure you've been told at club that modelling the Midland could have you barred, I understand there is to be a specific clause to that effect in the new constitution and rules.....even if written in crayon

:blum:  

Worry-ye-not, Paul.

If you are thrown out of your club for modelling the mighty Midland then it's a price worth paying!!  :danced:  :danced:

Jeff

Worry-ye-not, Paul.

If you are thrown out of your club for modelling the mighty Midland then it's a price worth paying!!  :danced:  :danced:

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Many thanks for your assistance on the S&C info.

In respect of Midland versus other (lesser) railway companies..... just ignore those rufty-tufty Great Northern fans!!

Regards

Paul

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

You have another Midland (Well S&C) fan as I bought the Graham Farish Cumbrian Mountain Express a few days ago.  I bought it because it reminded me of the haulage I had over the S&C behind Dutchess of Hamilton in 1983, between Leeds and Carlise, seated in one of the SLOA Pullman coaches.  Had a Class 45/1 for the return.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

You have another Midland (Well S&C) fan as I bought the Graham Farish Cumbrian Mountain Express a few days ago.  I bought it because it reminded me of the haulage I had over the S&C behind Dutchess of Hamilton in 1983, between Leeds and Carlise, seated in one of the SLOA Pullman coaches.  Had a Class 45/1 for the return.

Julian Sprott

Would of been better with the Peak both ways surely......

Sure that's not a typo and it's the Cambrian.

Sure that's not a typo and it's the Cambrian.

Cumbrian to Cumbria... the Cambrian is a few miles away from Midland territory.

Edited to note that being a fellow MR & S&C fan I'll be watching with interest!

​I visited Little Salkeld in the 70,s  and found it to be an extremely modelable station on a magnificent line ,as to being barred from modelling thee Midland don't worry I once belonged to a staunch GWR club but changed ther attitudes that green is best  no way!

I'd suggest a site visit will be hugely benificial.  If you want to stay in one of the Medium stations, Long Marton's station is a B&B.  In N, I'd guess 16' long of a model?  I looked at N, and thought about it for Long Marton, and then went with OO because that's what I already had.  There was somee serious thought about changing to N gauge, because of the scenery:railway ratio being so much better in N than OO.  The layout is meant to be a part of the scenery, and as such, the smaller scale works better IMO.

There are photos of Long Marton on my Flickr account- but I'd recommend that you get site visit photos of little salkeid rather than using generic photos.  The Fox book (Stations & Structures) is a really good reference for the line.  

James

Archived