GWR ground signals

As my layout will require quite a large number of these and I can't find a reasonaby priced model for what is something that is only a few millimetres tall I thought I'd have a go at drawing some up myself with the aim of having them 3D printed.

I've started with the double signal (as again I will need quite a few of these).

The model is based on plans in Vaughns  A Pictorial Record of Great Western signalling, but is meant to be more representational then wholly accurate - after all the model will only be some 12 mm high

I've uploaded it to the Shapeways site and a single one will cost about £4.50 in FUD. However four together with a strut underneath costs only £5.50 ( and eight at only £7). So obviously the more the merrier to make a saving on costs.

It will be interesting to see how a single one prices up. Once I've designed that I'll get some printed and share the results with you all.

All comments welcome

post-7075-0-62833800-1462306554_thumb.jpg

post-7075-0-28374100-1462306561_thumb.jpg

Edited by rovex
  • Like 8

I've just finished drawing up a single ground signal. Unfortunately  couldn't find any drawings for this one and so its "inspired" by photos in VAughans book and elsewhere.

post-7075-0-92420800-1462647116_thumb.jpg

post-7075-0-35403200-1462647124_thumb.jpg

I've created a fret that includes eight of these and eight of the double ones and I've uploaded this to Shapeways and ordered it. I'll share the results with you when it arrives (hopefully it will arrive).

I was thinking that if this comes out succesfully that I mgith make them available. I only know of two sources of these items the Ratio kits which only represent the single type and some whitemetal ones that I've seen on ebay. Both are relatively expensive for what you get.

These come out even in FUD quite cheap. In fact only a little more expensive than the postage. I thought if I bought in bulk and sold them on Ebay at then I can absorb the postage costs.

What do people think

Dean

• Like 6

Hmmmm.... I wonder how much work it would take to make them operational?

Gordon A

I suppose its possible. I've designed them as one piece units. But I suppose it wouldn't take much to remove the moving parts. To be honest the discs themselves and the counterweight arms would be best in etched brass.

Dean

Welcome to the world of printing small things...

You don't say what scale you are printing, but for the pricing, I'd guess 4mm? I had some WR disks printed in FXD 'print it anyway,' that came out pretty well, having holes in all the right places to make everything work. I'd be interested if you run into 'wire' issues too with them.

In the end I'm not sure about the robustness of the material, hence why I haven't done anything further since last year. I just envisage that a over zealous track cleaner would shear it clean off from the the base.

post-15793-0-18117200-1462839714_thumb.jpg

Best Regards,

Chris.

Nice work Chris. Although I can imagine in 2mm they would be about 6mm high and extremely fragile.

Shapeways have confirmed my order is now in production so hopefully they print ok. Still be over a week before the order arrives. I'll post pictures as soon as they get here. Although they'll photograph better once painted

Dean

These apparently printed ok and are now in packing. Something else I've ordered is still in production so will be a few days yet.

Will keep you all informed.

Dean

• 2 weeks later...

Finally the printed ground signals have arrived. I have photographed them with my phone (surprisingly I can get much better close ups on my phone camera then with my ordinary - although somewhat old by modern standards - camera).

There seem to have printed quite well. The only problem that I can see is that on some of the single signals the rear blinker has not printed.

Anyway here are the photos. I'll need to paint a couple and post photos of those that will show the detail better.

Anyway I'm quite pleased with them. I think I can sort out the blinker issue.

Let me know what you all think as I value your feedback.

Dean

post-7075-0-45159200-1464810241_thumb.jpg

post-7075-0-22963300-1464810248_thumb.jpg

post-7075-0-89509100-1464810251_thumb.jpg

post-7075-0-16804400-1464810258_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

They definitely look like what they are meant to look like and that is the most important thing and what will be noticed.  The surface finish showing in the two lowest photos doesn't look marvellous but that might be down to lighting and angle of view - not so bad on what were cast components but on the representation of stove enamelled disc it might be a noticeable shortcoming but equally maybe it would clean up.

It will be interesting to see what they look like when you have painted some but it is definitely a good start I think.

Thanks,Mike.

I'm hopeful that once they've had a cost of enamel paint the discs will look smoother. We shall have to wait and see. I've done the bodies in black and will grime them up.

• Like 1

Here are the painted examples - as you can see I am no Michealangelo - all painted black, the disc painted white (a more careful hand than mine would have kept the paint out of the lenses, and then a red strip (of varying widths).

The whole thin then given a wash of very diluted track colour. I'm inlcined to think that I should just have painted the bodies in track colour since they probably got filthy.

The painting (stray dog hairs aside) does at least make it easier to see how well these have printed. You can also see the problem with the rear blinkers on the single disc signals. I've tweaked the file and reuploaded it to Shapweays and I think this is now resolved.

So what do you think. Anyone interested in a set?

post-7075-0-07164500-1465418335_thumb.jpg

post-7075-0-01544900-1465418342_thumb.jpg

post-7075-0-50498600-1465418348_thumb.jpg

post-7075-0-46699100-1465418355_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

To be honest I know what you mean. But when I compare it to what is available in either white metal or plastic I do consider them to be a great improvement. For my purposes and at a viewing distance of at least a foot its probably not even noticeable.

These items are probably only twelve to fifteen mm high

Hmm, I like the idea very much so. I don't have a steady hand at all as I only have limited use of my leading hand. Would it be possible to include a fine line/ ridge as a guide to direct the paint or would that be impossible? If you were to release them for sale then I am in the market for around 15 if the price is right.

I can certainly amend the disc to include to include a paint guide. It would have to be very fine.

Because of shapeways postal charges I was thinking of buying say ten lots at a time and selling the frets, so eight of each for about £15 to £18 via ebay or perhaps through the sale feature on here if I'm allowed to

• Like 2

never judge 3D printing by photos alone.For something so small, better to see them on a layout. 

As for selling, ideas sound good, but also consider exhibitions, and even some shops. Bulk versions could be made only available via yourself, with smaller packs available direct. Anyone wanting in effect a wholesale order would contact you, and then you take payment and supply them. Being small items there should be enough money to keep everyone happy.

never judge 3D printing by photos alone.For something so small, better to see them on a layout. 

As for selling, ideas sound good, but also consider exhibitions, and even some shops. Bulk versions could be made only available via yourself, with smaller packs available direct. Anyone wanting in effect a wholesale order would contact you, and then you take payment and supply them. Being small items there should be enough money to keep everyone happy.

All good points I hadn't really given it that much thought.

I created these mainly because I was going to need a lot of them for my layout. The only ones I had found were very expensive for a small number and I hadn't found any of the double ones readily available.

Having made them and realised that the more I put on a sprue the cheaper they became, my thoughts turned to making them available if there was a market for them. I know Shapeways allows you to do this using their site, but to be honest the cost of their postage would effectively be the same or a little less than the cost of the product, thus making them less competitive. Buying in bulk myself would allow the postage cost to be spread across the order. It then becomes about how you contact your market.

I can see that I shall have to give it some thought and perhaps mock up a section of track with ballast etc to show them in situ.

Hmmm... I wonder if they could be made to work....?

It would be simple enough to amend the drawing to remove the disc and blinker and put a hole in for a spigot. Scale Link I think provide suitable parts on their brass fret of GWR signals, but quite how you went about making something that is about 13 mm high work in a durable fashion I would have to leave to others.

Happy to produce the amended frame but others would have to source the necessary moving parts and work out how to mechanise them.

• RMweb Gold

It would be simple enough to amend the drawing to remove the disc and blinker and put a hole in for a spigot. Scale Link I think provide suitable parts on their brass fret of GWR signals, but quite how you went about making something that is about 13 mm high work in a durable fashion I would have to leave to others.

Happy to produce the amended frame but others would have to source the necessary moving parts and work out how to mechanise them.

Working ones have been made in 2mm (yes, TWOmm) scale - probably by magicians - but it has been done and I have seen one which seems to work quite reliably.

Working ones have been made in 2mm (yes, TWOmm) scale - probably by magicians - but it has been done and I have seen one which seems to work quite reliably.

They obviously have finer fingers than me  :smile_mini2:

• 4 years later...

Hard to believe I posted this four years ago and only last week put them on my shapeways shop!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/S3LS96ZUS/gound-signal-double-stack?optionId=166325804&li=shops

I originally ordered them in superfine plastic - see above - never got round to putting them on the layout and after some rough handling some of the lever arms snapped. I expect they would be fine if actually installed. However I've also made them available in steel which I expect would be sturdier.

Rovex