Long Melford and Hadleigh Light Railway - the "South Suffolk Light"?

justin1985

Progress on my little plank layout of Snape Maltings ground to a halt over the winter because of a combination of distractions from a new job, and the fact that my modelling kit lives in a rather cold garage. Before things stopped entirely 2mmMark very kindly made me a wagon turntable, which I'm just getting around to fitting. I'm also starting to look into getting some custom windows etched or laser cut to suit the buildings for the layout - I'll try and post some details on the thread for that soon.

In the meantime Jerry (queensquare) very kindly agreed to let me take on an unfinished layout - "Vobster" - which was originally to have been the first in the North Somerset light series. Hopefully I'll be able to collect the layout soon, but in the meantime Jerry has sent me some pictures. This set me off thinking how I might adapt the layout to suit my modelling interests. 

post-3740-0-12631200-1462310509_thumb.jpg

A few months ago I was flicking through the recent Oakwood Press volume on the Hadleigh branch, and noticed that a light railway had been authorised in 1901 to join up that short branch from the Great Eastern mainline to the Stour Valley Marks Tey - Cambridge line at Long Melford (also the junction for the branch to Bury St Edmunds). Digging a bit deeper, I tried to trace the line, and traced the rough route of the line from the villages named. The engineer of the line was none other than H.F. Stephens. Needless to say, it was not built.

Today I finally got around to taking a look at the documents related to the Light Railway Order at the National Archives. As suggested in the other thread, this was only quite general information - primarily relating to the land required to be purchased to complete the line. There is an excellent set of plans and general maps showing the proposed centre line of the track, and limits of deviation. Surprisingly no details are given of the proposed stations (although there was a condition to the act specifying that the company would not be required to provide any shelter at them!). The villages that it passes close to include Great and Little Waldingfield, Milden, Monks Eleigh (where it joined the valley of the river Brett), Chelsworth, Nedging, Semer, Kersey, and finally Hadleigh. 

post-3740-0-96634000-1462311596_thumb.jpg

TNA MT54/238 

Kersey and Monks Eleigh are particularly "chocolate box" villages - and are tempting subjects for a model. In fact despite not having been on, or near, the railway at all, Kersey was feature on one of the famous BR posters for Suffolk. And Monks Eleigh would be a great subject, just to see people try an spell it!

post-3740-0-60327800-1462312346.jpg

So, I'm now thinking of a scenario where the Light Railway was built, but like the Mid Suffolk Light, ran out of money and ended in a field short of its destination. The existing track plan of Jerry's layout has a definite light railway feel to it, and I think could quite easily be adapted to represent the kind of facilities at Laxfield (the terminus of the Middy). Rather neatly, the projected Melford-Hadleigh line passed very close to the rather picturesque Kersey Mill (and maltings), which could sit quite nicely on the long headshunt siding and act as a scenic break. The station buildings could follow Mid-Suffolk or general Colonel Stephens practice (i.e. lots of corrugated iron) and a ramshackle engine shed could replace the turntable.

post-3740-0-63086800-1462312552_thumb.jpgpost-3740-0-66948400-1462312911.jpeg

The layout could be operated with the same stock as Snape - GE locos such as a Buckjumper and a J15 with Wisbech & Upwell tramway coaches (from David Eveleigh kits) most of which still reside in my gloat box - together with a Dapol Terrier or two, and a Farish J39 that I've already converted. The era would be generally some point between c.1910 and 1930. But ... does it all sound just a bit too much of a cliche of Iain Rice's plans? 

Justin

• Like 9

Lovely to see this thread as we lived in Hadleigh for many years from the late 70's.  The poster of Kersey brought back many memories as it was always on our 'tourist trail' for any visitors staying with us.

Very interesting stuff with the laser Nick! I actually bumped into Gary Fletcher (who is building St Pancras and a fleet of 2mmFS Midland Spinners) at the National Archives yesterday. While we were oogling the original Gilbert-Scott plans for St Pancras we also had a fascinating chat about his home laser cutting and 3D printing equipment.

It looks like embossing brickwork with a laser is really starting to set the standard - the poplar ply image on your thread looks amazing. Being able to incorporate header rows and arches etc into the same layer seems like a game changer. I know Mike Randall has also used this method for the new potato store on Copenhagen Fields goods yard. Not sure I've seen any fully finished and painted and weathered in 2mm though?

Still, somehow my instinct would be to use brickpaper for buildings like that mill though - the surface looks very flush to me.

I'm actually wondering about laser cut strips of self adhesive label, kind of like the York Model making slates, to model the "weatherboard" with some relief. Has anyone tried that?

Justin

• RMweb Gold

Excellent stuff Justin, I'm really pleased it's going to a good home, particularly as it's another plausible Colenel Stephens project. I wouldn't worry about it being heavily influenced by Iain Rice, I make no secret of the fact that my, and many other layouts, have been influenced by Iain over the years.

Likewise the fact that Martyn Welch picked up the same might have been. My own North Somerset Light is essentially the same fictional scenario as Captain Kernow's S&D layouts and I know of at least three versions of the nearby Nettlebridge Valley Railway.

I look forward to progress on this.

Jerry

Many thanks for the comments. I wasn't aware of Martyn Welch's layout - my MRJ collection only starts with issue 145! Just ordered a copy of 106 from eBay so I look forward to seeing it. I wonder if he went for a Stephens-esque light railway or a "heavy rail" GER branch in the manner of Rice's might have been Hadleigh to Bradfield St Clare (Cockfield) line plans?

Justin

• RMweb Gold

Nice project Justin. I would echo Jerry's comments about being influenced by Ian Rice I think we all have been he was such a prolific writer. I suggest plenty of perusal of other real railway photos to get the atmosphere.

Don

It looks like embossing brickwork with a laser is really starting to set the standard - the poplar ply image on your thread looks amazing. Being able to incorporate header rows and arches etc into the same layer seems like a game changer. I know Mike Randall has also used this method for the new potato store on Copenhagen Fields goods yard. Not sure I've seen any fully finished and painted and weathered in 2mm though?

Justin

I think the station buildings on 'Highclere' were finished using laser-cut card or paper for the brickwork. There are some photos from 2008 in the RMweb archive thread here;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23703url

Many thanks for the comments. I wasn't aware of Martyn Welch's layout - my MRJ collection only starts with issue 145! Just ordered a copy of 106 from eBay so I look forward to seeing it. I wonder if he went for a Stephens-esque light railway or a "heavy rail" GER branch in the manner of Rice's might have been Hadleigh to Bradfield St Clare (Cockfield) line plans?

Justin

I'm pretty sure that Martyn modelled the line as a GER branch line. From the photos I've seen it looks a beautiful layout.

Anyway, this sounds an interesting project, and I look forward to seeing it progress.

Andy

Thanks for all of the kind comments and suggestions. The back issue of MRJ with the article on Martyn Welch's "Monks Eleigh" arrived today. It was indeed a GER "1865" style layout, with a station building modelled very closely on Cockfield - so much more like the plans in the Rice "Finescale in Small Spaces" book - so quite unlike the Colonel Stephens look that I'm going for. 

Over the weekend I was able to collect "Vobster" from Jerry at the Salisbury exhibition. Considering that its been in a loft for a few decades, its in remarkably good condition. The Ratio plastic levers and wire in tube point mechanisms worked fine after a few spots of oil - well they all did until one of the wires snapped. I was tempted to replace the wire with some phosphor bronze I have in stock, but ordered some spring steel to do it properly. It also took a few hours to sort out a very perplexing short on the turnout at the end of the platform loop - I think it turned out to be a dodgy microswitch that seemed to be working when tested on a meter but caused a short in practice - at least it worked once I'd replaced the switch. That turnout also needed some adjustment - the crossing rails weren't bonded to the vee and some extra feeds were needed across a now permanently joined board joint, so 0-6-0s were getting stranded.

post-3740-0-68658300-1462824041_thumb.jpg

I'm sure Jerry won't mind me saying its fascinating seeing the "archaeology" of the layout. It seems like it was first built as 4 x 2'x15" boards, and then permanently fixed together as two pairs. The front and rear sides of the board also show the signs of several changes in design, with extra bits cut out and added back in. I'm tempted to leave the structure essentially as is, but cut plenty of circular holes in the front and back with a hole saw to relieve the weight, and then stick\screw on some light 4mm birch ply for the final front profile to tidy it up. Does that sound like a good idea? I'm also planning to build an extension of around 6" on the back to allow some depiction of the village behind the station and support a curved backscene. 

post-3740-0-60969200-1462824027_thumb.jpg

The turntable well sits in a section of hardwood thats cut into the earlier particle\furniture board and ply baseboard top. I'll remove this and fill the hole back in to reuse that siding as an engine or carriage shed road. (or would that central siding make a better goods shed siding, with the loco and coach facilities on the parallel pair of sidings?). I'll need some plain strip rail to match - I've only worked with bullhead before.

For now, apart from the broken wire in tube, all runs very nicely with both a Dapol 73 with turned down wheels, and the J94 on association chassis that I finished a while back (well, it still needs detailing and painting ..). Very chuffed!

Justin

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff Justin, I'm pleased it all seems to be working. I built the layout in the early nineties (25 years ago!) when I first moved back to Wiltshire from Cornwall. We had a little cottage and the layout was stored under the stairs hence it's being on 2' long boards. I'm pretty sure it was originally just three making a 6' layout, becoming 8' when I made it into an L shape.

Regarding the track, I'm pretty sure it's bullhead soldered directly to the sleepers - the same as on Highbury. Old hat now but carefully painted and ballasted does give a good representation of the light rail used on this sort of line.

When I tested the layout at home I was amazed that, after twenty years in a loft, the wire in tube still worked. The wire is probably guitar string - I had, and still have a steady supply! I'm even more amazed that the plastic Ratio levers have survived and they are certainly something I would replace.

Really looking forward to seeing this progress.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Definitely have a look at the point wires in the tubes. Richard had a problem with some on Lambourn which is 1987/88 vintage.  Even the ones on British Oak (dating back to 2004) were getting a bit sticky, so I dribbled some Plus-Gas penetrant fluid down them which cut a path for some proper lubricant. I used ACF50 which is a very good anti-corrosive lubricant.

If it were my layout, I'd be tempted to make a feature of the turntable, modelling it as taken out of use, with a pit full of weeds.

Mark

If it were my layout, I'd be tempted to make a feature of the turntable, modelling it as taken out of use, with a pit full of weeds.

Mark

That's an interesting idea. Maybe leave the turntable in place but locked in position? So that it acts as an extended siding?

Edited by garethashenden

Definitely have a look at the point wires in the tubes. Richard had a problem with some on Lambourn which is 1987/88 vintage.  Even the ones on British Oak (dating back to 2004) were getting a bit sticky, so I dribbled some Plus-Gas penetrant fluid down them which cut a path for some proper lubricant. I used ACF50 which is a very good anti-corrosive lubricant.

Mark

Hi Justin,

I like the Vobster look!

As Mark mentioned Lambourn suffered at AP with a wire in tube, we got it back to TFWs on the Saturday for a repair. Basically active flux had finally eaten thro the wire at the point it connected to the lever, so repair was thankfully straightforward. Tonight I am trying to sort out an electrical issue with the goods shed siding in readiness fo next weekends outing to Bognor (I don't want to be in the position of repeating what the old King is reputed to have said!)

My new workshop is making good progress, and should be back in action after Bognor , I can't wait!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

As its a Light Railway, a turntable is probably inappropriate.  Might be a good location for a loco shed instead?

Just a thought,

Dave.

I'd tend to agree. When it was first conceived as Vobster it was a fully fledged S&D branch, my Light Railway fantasy came later. Bridgwater and Wells both originally had small turntables so I thought it not unreasonable.

The kick back siding was to serve a wharf on the ill fated Dorset and a Somerset canal, Vobster Quarry was off scene being some way from the village - I drew up another scheme for the exchange sidings there called Vobster Cross inspired by the real exchange sidings at Hapsford.

Jerry

• 11 months later...

Well its probably been a year since I took this layout on, but unfortunately I haven't had the chance to make any progress. I have been focusing on making some progress on Snape in the last few weeks, now the teaching term at work has ended. But I've still been kicking around ideas for returning to "Vobster" \ "Monks Eleigh" when I get the chance. I'm definitely learning towards filling in the turntable and extending that road to a small engine shed, and using a mill on the kickback siding as a scenic break on the end hand side. I'll fit a slither of scenic extension along the back and fixed back\end boards as per Bambrick's book. I'd probably also convert the fiddleyard to connect end-on, rather than in an L shape.

One thing I've been wondering about is the turnout operation. I might have given up on fitting the Scalefour lever frame to Snape, where space under the layout is very tight, but I do like the idea of using one to operate this layout. However the existing brass tubes are all set up to feed to the front of the boards right in front of the station area, where fitting much larger Scalefour levers would be a bit awkward. So I've actually been considering switching to electric point motors (probably Cobalt, to save space). That way I could have a single panel of levers (two of the Scalefour kits) at the fiddle yard end of the layout to operate both boards, and save having to re-route wire in tube over quite long lengths to the ends of the boards where the lever frames would fit.

Would fitting Cobalt \ Tortoise arms directly to the existing tiebars be a bad idea? It would allow me to remove the existing above baseboard cranks, which should simplify ballasting and scenics, but I'm a little concerned whether the PCB tiebars would be able to take the force of a stall motor? First thought was a 90 degree bend in the point motor wire to pass through the existing side-on tiebar, but maybe actually soldering on a short length of brass tube to the tiebar might give a gentler connection, and easier removal for maintenance etc. Any experience welcomed! 

Cheers

Justin

Edited by justin1985

Never had a problem with Tortoise direct drive into a hole drilled into a PCB tie bar.

From my brief experience of Cobalts, they don't stall so you need switches that have a centre off.

Thanks! The not stalling thing does sound a bit worrying though - but I just found this old thread that describes the same problem, and a solution. Apparently excess flash on a moulding pip can hold the casing apart and allow the gears to continue spinning, rather than stalling. I bought one Cobalt the other day to test with. I'll try on a spare turnout on a plank before committing! I don't think there is the depth under the existing boards to install a Tortoise :( 

Justin

If space is tight for the motors, its possible that DCC-Concepts new "stepper motor" turnout motor might do what you need.   The actual motor is very small, then that links back to a control board.  Typically two motors per control board.    Then, your choice of control of that control board - conventional switches, DCC commands, etc..

I've not used one of the new motors (I've not seen one "in the flesh" yet), so no comment on reliability, etc...

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Thanks! The not stalling thing does sound a bit worrying though - but I just found this old thread that describes the same problem, and a solution. Apparently excess flash on a moulding pip can hold the casing apart and allow the gears to continue spinning, rather than stalling. I bought one Cobalt the other day to test with. I'll try on a spare turnout on a plank before committing! I don't think there is the depth under the existing boards to install a Tortoise :(

Justin

Hi Justin. 

I had a few early cobalt point motors which suffered from this issue, but the more recent cobalt iP versions have, so far, been problem free. 

Tom. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Essex and Suffolk News, Saturday March 10 1900 (issue 1717), p.4

We are pleased to record one of the most gratifying local events which it has been our lot to chronicle for some years past. On Friday last the Light Railway Commissioners granted an order in favour of the construction of a Light Railway from Long Melford to the town of Hadleigh. The inquiry was held in the Lectur[e] Hall of the famous parish, which is rapidly becoming an important centre of railway communication. The leading promoters of the line, and many of the principal landowners, solicitors representing the different parties and many others were present. Mr Allan, barrister, opened the proceedings at some length on behalf of the promoters. Mr Stephens, the engineer, was examined and gave a very able resume of the construction of the line, and the parishes it would traverse, the total distance being about 15 miles. The line, he said, would start from Long Melford Station, having a platform of its own, it then ran about a quarter of a mile, crossing over the G.E.R. on the Sudbury side, then turning sharply to the right proceeded in an easterly direction past Rodbridge Corner, into Acton, about 100 yards south of Acton vicarage; then into Great Waldingfield. Passing then to Monks Eleigh, the line went on through that place close to the main road, on to Chelsworth. Then the road was crossed on to Bildeston, where there would be a station about 500 to 600 yards away. Then turning again to the S.E. to the parish of Nedging, thence to Semer Bridge, then to the parish of Whatfield. It then proceeded into Kersey close to the mill, and next to Hadleigh, where it joined the G.E.R. siding. The passenger station would be on the side of the road to the passenger station of the G.E.R.

The line seems to be well planned to suit the population, and well as the contour of the land and the most easy gradients and cuttings. The wishes of the leading residentsm farmers and landowners have been considered, there will be several bridges, and where there were level crossings there would be gates and a man with a flag for the protection of the public. The population to be served is about 15,000 but of course a large number of people will use the line coming from all parts. It will certainly be a great advantage to the town of Hadleigh, which at present is quite cut off from the towns of Sudbury and Bury St Edmund’s, as well as an important communication with the north. We believe that the goods traffic, which will include a large amount of farm produce, will be found remunerative. It will certainly tap a wide district of country sadly needing railway communication. Although a Light Railway may not be considered equal to a regular line constructed by a great company like the Great Eastern still it will afford accommodation and convenience sufficient for ordinary purposes by the travelling community, farmers, merchants, and others.

Sir Cuthbert Quilter, the member for the division, detailed the inconvenience he had experienced during an election, having to traverse the country on wheels. He considered the light railway to Hadleigh would be very beneficial to the district.

Mr William Biddell also considered the railway most necessary and would be most useful.

Sir William Parker also supported the proposed line.

The inquiry was altogether most satisfactory, well drawn maps and plans laid on the table and every objection (which were only slight) duly answered.

Sir Cuthbert Quilter, as member for the Division, has done much to help the scheme for the construction of the line, and to him indeed the main credit is due for its successful inception.

• Like 3