Played with the front end detail this morning.

Added the lost wax tail lights which have come out really nice and the 3d printed headcode disc carriers. 

These were a feature on the Co Bo and have proven in the past to be an absolute pain to recreate. Thankfully with 3d printing they've come out OK but may look a bit over scale? Won't really know until it's all painted but it's a major improvement on my previous designs. 

post-25294-0-81577700-1465632204.jpg

If anyone's interested in the preserved Co-Bo I can try and get a progress report. The body is still sheeted over and a picture can be found here https://www.flickr.com/photos/61107233@N06/26922085332/in/album-72157662986268382/

The loco is not on public view as it has moved from Castlecroft and is now in the sidings in the shed yard at Buckley Wells. The Diesel group are good at advertising which loco is running for those interested so keep an eye on their website at http://www.elrdiesel.info/index.php. The loco is in the care of the Class 15 group whose website is at http://www.d8233.org.uk

Ian

I'd be interested for one thanks, having followed its progress since seeing the poor thing in decrepit condition on a rainy day in Swindon back in the 80's...

It is good to see it back on its overhauled bogies and I gather much work has occurred inside, though the website updates have concentrated on D8233 recently.

AFAIK the power unit is being worked on as and when in a large tent like structure, using a V12 version of the same Crossley engine to replace life expired/damaged parts of the original V8.

Body cleaned and sprayed ready for painting. 

I'm going to add the roof detail and some sundry front end stuff afterwards. 

Next job is to sort out the bogies but I'm awaiting funds to purchase the motor/gearbox etc. Hopefully those will arrive during the week.

post-25294-0-34478600-1465669810_thumb.jpg

Really pleased today to sell another Co Bo meaning I can now afford both the paint and the motors! 

While I'm waiting to sort these out, (which will now be Wednesday) I started making sense of the under-frame pipework. The larger diameter pipes are the steam heating equipment and the smaller, the air brake feeds. 

post-25294-0-75533700-1465842306_thumb.jpg

Frustrating time recently. Unexpected bill (Bills, the curse of the modelling classes) forces me to wait a bit longer to purchase motor/gears etc...... However did spend the time painting the inside of the cab's. 

I'm never 100% certain what colour the inside of cabs actually were. I think the early days saw a cream/white upper with green lower scheme, but I have no info on the Co Bo. So I used Humbrol white 22, which is an off-white and hope that'll satisfy everyone. When this is done it'll run on my preserved line layout so I guess I'll get away with it.

I also bought the body colour paint. Halfords Rover Brooklands Green. For £6.99 it's not bad, I like the quality and I think it looks pretty accurate. It's a semi-gloss too.

In the bag behind the loco are the masters for the Clayton Class 17, which will soon be released. 

post-25294-0-13825000-1466173725_thumb.jpg

Whilst I'm raising funds for the motors etc, I'm decorating the body. 

I'm modelling D5700 as first built, so this is plenty of Duck egg Blue and light grey. 

Here I've painted the roof panels prior to detailing and added the body side strip using a bow pen and small brush. Bit of cutting in still to do. Decided to let this dry before I paint the grills, as in the past, I've managed to smudge numerous areas. 

post-25294-0-55668900-1466360097_thumb.jpg

Creeping forward - here the grills have been painted and should be dry by tonight meaning I can do the reverse side.

Still a bit of touching up to do but that can all be done at the end. 

Now I haven't fitted the Ventilators yet as I'm going to do a trick with those. 

post-25294-0-40146400-1466509290_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How time has flown since my last post! New job, Brexit, and as usual England crashing out of yet another tournament. All this means progress on the Co Bo has been halted until today when I finally got some time spare.

Today I concentrated on decorating the cab ends. This involved painting the buffer shanks and the window frames. I did the front windows with a bow pen using Humbrol 11 as the colour. It wasn't that difficult either as I just guided the pen round the aperture.

Because the side windows are printed I could easily paint those then just glue them into place when dry.  

post-25294-0-75524000-1467549439_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Can't believe it's been so long since I last posted! Sadly new job has got in the way. 

Today saw some movement regarding the roof detailing. These are the various vents and radiator fan. What I've done is prime these items first then paint each component. Once that's done I'm going to try a weathering trick with the vent's.

Still can't yet afford the motors and gears but hoping to get it all ready in time for Telford. 

post-25294-0-60375900-1469370294.jpg

Tonight I had time to fit the remainder of the cooling group. These radiators are a key feature and sit back noticeable from the body side.

Now this is what I think makes my kits unique. I bother with this type of depth of detail as I feel it adds a life and soul to the model.

But the best news today was the sale of one of my new Class 17 kits meaning I can now afford the motor and gearbox sets yeah! 

post-25294-0-75742900-1469650178_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't done much these past couple of weeks as been busy packing for Telford.

But here's the co Bo on it's bogies testing clearances etc. I think the Co bogie is a bit to far in board but that's easy to rectify.

I have the motors and gears ready to install, this will now be done towards end Sept' as I'm on holiday for 10 days right after telford.

This loco as you see in the picture will be at Telford on my stand for those who wish a closer look.

Ah! yes I see why - got the centre assembley round the wrong way!!!!  :boast:

post-25294-0-72780100-1472740538_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

At last I can now complete this loco. Telford has come and gone and so did my holiday. The latter way too quickly of course. 

I've never been happy with the bogies I made 1st but thankfully did have spares. So I got the bits together and made a new start. Firstly I built the gear box and motor. This is a 26:1 gearbox and Mashima 1833 both supplied by Markits. The gearbox fits together really well and runs very smoothly. I'm now going to use these as standard in all my kits from now on. They will be the preferred choice. The wheel sets are via Roxley moulding (ex-Home of 0) and are insulated on one side. 

Next I added the Delrin cog. I'm only going to drive the middle and rear axles of this model but there's plenty of room to drive all three. If you do it's inner to middle, then middle to outer.  

Finally the tricky bit. I pushed the bearings onto the axles then added some spacing washers between frame and bearings and carefully slotted the wheels into position. This is best done by drilling three holes in a lump of wood so the bearings sit upright. I then soldered each headstock in place before springing the axles in place. Lastly I soldered the bearing shells in ensuring all was square. Tomorrow I'm going to add the pick ups and do a test run before adding the bolsters and sideframes.

That's enough for tonight as I'm still a bit jet lagged, but it's good to get started again. 

post-25294-0-25239400-1474311220_thumb.jpg

post-25294-0-36284900-1474311221_thumb.jpg

post-25294-0-19915700-1474311222_thumb.jpg

Bit more work tonight.

Fitted the Delrin drive and secured the remaining bearings. The first photo shows the spacing washers and the room there is.

Then I've Araldited the bolsters in place ready to accept the side frames and headstocks. These will also be Araldited in to place, probably tomorrow.

Pic up's on the negative side will be via wipers and phospher bronze strips glued onto the bolsters. Would have done that tonight but guess what: no electrical wires. Trip to Maplin's tomorrow I think.

post-25294-0-79531500-1474398539_thumb.jpg

post-25294-0-34823500-1474398540_thumb.jpg

Tonight I worked on the Bo chassis.

I kept the sideframes but changed the headstock etch. The bolster ws the prototype version and has been changed to a slightly narrower version. Note how the motor sits perfectly on the centre stretcher, great design! (Even if it was in error! :stinker: ).

The pick ups have been Araldited onto the print and will dry over night with a test run tomorrow. 

post-25294-0-26226800-1474998463_thumb.jpg

One think I need to address is the fact I don't have a white metal soldering iron. This causes problems when joining white metal parts to each other. So I've araldited these parts which is not ideal but this is a prototype and a demonstrator so I can live with it. 

Here the primary springs, damper and brake cylinders have been added. Once I've added the etch compensating beams I can start on the complex brake gear. 

post-25294-0-10819000-1475145326_thumb.jpg

Archived