Bachmann DBSO driving brake second open

class37418stag

But I wonder how interested Hornby are. Didn't Mike at C&M Models say some time ago that he had asked Hornby about producing Scotrail Mk3s as a limited edition but was turned down, yet Hornby has produced limited edition runs of Mk3s in GWR livery for Kernow MRC.

Possibly more chance of being interested now than they were back then.  The DBSO's have now arrived so if Hornby are aware of what we know today (the Oxford Rail coach livery debacle) that wasn't known back when those discussions were taking place with C&M) then maybe Hornby could be interested in a run if they have the slots available. 

Afterall so many here have now cancelled their order with OR for ScotRail Mk3's (setting aside the fact that we know the railway modelling world exists outside the 4 walls of RMWeb).  To me it seems like a no brainer - I cant think of a downside.

Possibly more chance of being interested now than they were back then.  The DBSO's have now arrived so if Hornby are aware of what we know today (the Oxford Rail coach livery debacle) that wasn't known back when those discussions were taking place with C&M) then maybe Hornby could be interested in a run if they have the slots available. 

Afterall so many here have now cancelled their order with OR for ScotRail Mk3's (setting aside the fact that we know the railway modelling world exists outside the 4 walls of RMWeb).  To me it seems like a no brainer - I cant think of a downside.

Pretty sure it was Durham Trains of Stanley who had mock ups of photos of  Hornby Mk 3s in Scotrail at Glasgow a few years ago.  Sadly nothing came of it. 

Regarding Hornby now stepping in and doing ScotRail Mk 3s, had OR not announced them I guess it was possibility, but lets not forget their light grey on the Intercity versions is not that good either.  However with OR doing them I think there is virtually no chance of Hornby doing them any time soon.

Likewise had OR not announced them I suppose someone like Harburn may have thought with the Bachmann 47 and BDSO there would have been a market.  I can't see them taking a risk on that now.

This is what makes the OR colour issue so annoying, not only have they failed to match the colour themselves most likely they have prevented anyone else from having a go and entering what is quite a niche market.

Still think the best option is flush glazed Lima ScotRails

Edited by Waverley47708

There do not appear to be too many photographs around of the Scotrail liveried DBSOs but, in those I have seen, it would appear that Bachmann have got the coach number font too small.

Am I correct in thinking that the numbers should be larger than those on the model?

John

There do not appear to be too many photographs around of the Scotrail liveried DBSOs but, in those I have seen, it would appear that Bachmann have got the coach number font too small.

Am I correct in thinking that the numbers should be larger than those on the model?

John

Don't appear to be that far out size wise ? questionable maybe.........

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151257534@N04/38359438171/in/album-72157665650258679/

Thanks tractor_37260. Just that I have some Fox transfers for re-numbering one of my Scotrail DBSOs and they are certainly a larger font than the one on the model.

The model appears to have a font size more akin to the Intercity Swallow coach font size.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hallo,

Off topic, what were the HST services at Queen Street? Was that part of a diversion?

Thanks in advance

es grüßt

pc

From what’s been written in the comments, the 7 car set is the daily Cross Country working to the south west but which was also used during layovers to do an extra GQS to EDI peak run.

The 8 car sets were ECML workings diverted from Central due to Electrification work

It looks very odd with them blocking the running lines doesn’t it

• RMweb Gold

There has been much talk about the contrasting liveries of the Bachmann DBSO and the Oxford Rail Mk IIIs.  Although not a perfect match, they do work perfectly well together IMHO.  Here, on test at Doncaster, is my set (which, when being propelled, would not complete a circuit without derailing until I replaced the couplings with Roco auto couplers.  Now, derailment is a thing of the past).

post-3981-0-76920300-1546246607_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

not sure but that photo above of the DBSO cab interior light gives the impression that Bachmann may have positioned it more over the drivers side and it looks all the better for it.  you can imagine the non driving side being much darker as there would be no real purpose for the lighting that side up.

regarding the HSTs that used GQS -with the leading power car beyond the signal how did the drivers know he had the road into the tunnel?   was it via a series of guard communications via phone or buzzer?

Edited by ThaneofFife

There has been much talk about the contrasting liveries of the Bachmann DBSO and the Oxford Rail Mk IIIs.  Although not a perfect match, they do work perfectly well together IMHO.  Here, on test at Doncaster, is my set (which, when being propelled, would not complete a circuit without derailing until I replaced the couplings with Roco auto couplers.  Now, derailment is a thing of the past).

attachicon.gifIMG_0391.jpeg

and whats a push-pull doing in Doncaster!

Its on test (at least that's my excuse).

There is a photo (in Flickr?) of a Deltic at York hauling Scotrail blue/grey MK3s - although only two are in the photo - so with a bit of artistic licence there could be a DBSO at the other end.

es grüßt

pc

Edited by Padishar Creel

The furthest south they got was before the service launch in 1979 when the prototype set `(the only one complete) formed 47704 / 12029 / 12023 / 12004 / 12017 / 11007 / 9701 was used for functional tests around Derby.  After that the furthest we got south was Berwick-upon-Tweed on Brake Tests.  They were just too few and too precious to be let go for any of the usual off piste workings.....  Of course as mentioned elsewhere, Rule 1 applies!  Prior to the service start, the maintenance set got pinched for a run down south, seen in at the photo at York.

Ok so I tried to put the Roco style couplings in my FO the socket and the bit underneath holding it in broke and now it sags and wont rotate.. whats the best way to mend it please?

oops just realised this is the wrong thread

Edited by Tiddles47

regarding the HSTs that used GQS -with the leading power car beyond the signal how did the drivers know he had the road into the tunnel?   was it via a series of guard communications via phone or buzzer?

Driver entered cab and setup, once setup stood at the door looking for the route signal (on the reverse of the signal)

Once the route signal was received, closed the door and then departure as normal

If you are happy with the quality of Lima Mk3s, they did some in Scotrail Livery and they are available on Ebay now and again.

Jim

I have Scotrail Cl47 and 3 coach Lima set produced a few years ago by Harburn Hobbies.   I purchased an additional two coaches at the same time and now that I have my Bachmann Scotrail DBSO I have an Edinburgh/Glasgow set.  One small point I would appreciate guidance on.   The Bachmann DBSO has the roof colour down to the orange line whilst on the Lima coaches the roof colour stops a little way up the roof so that you also have the coach side colour above the orange line BUT, on the recent videos on this thread at Glasgow QS et al the roof colour on all coaches comes down to the orange line.   Was taking the roof colour down to the orange line a later painting alteration or this a painting error on the Lima coaches??

Malclom

I have Scotrail Cl47 and 3 coach Lima set produced a few years ago by Harburn Hobbies.   I purchased an additional two coaches at the same time and now that I have my Bachmann Scotrail DBSO I have an Edinburgh/Glasgow set.  One small point I would appreciate guidance on.   The Bachmann DBSO has the roof colour down to the orange line whilst on the Lima coaches the roof colour stops a little way up the roof so that you also have the coach side colour above the orange line BUT, on the recent videos on this thread at Glasgow QS et al the roof colour on all coaches comes down to the orange line.   Was taking the roof colour down to the orange line a later painting alteration or this a painting error on the Lima coaches??

Malclom

On the some of the early re-paints of the PP stock into ScotRail Exec livery the Exec Light Grey upper band was extended above the orange cantrail line up to the weld line across the roof this included some DBSO's also, this was first used on Exec HST trailers.

On later PP re-paints the light grey band was narrower and applied below the orange lining,and not extended onto the roof.

AFAIR Lima produced both versions over the years, both being correct depending on timescale.

HTH

On the some of the early re-paints of the PP stock into ScotRail Exec livery the Exec Light Grey upper band was extended above the orange cantrail line up to the weld line across the roof this included some DBSO's also, this was first used on Exec HST trailers.

On later PP re-paints the light grey band was narrower and applied below the orange lining,and not extended onto the roof.

AFAIR Lima produced both versions over the years, both being correct depending on timescale.

HTH

Thank you

Malcolm

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I thought I’d resurrect this thread to ask, what do you think the chances are of Bachmann releasing the DBSO in Anglia and Network Rail liveries, with the corridor connection removed and blanked off?