New London Underground Layout

Alex_7753

Those latest pictures do look good, probably better than I could achieve.  The traffic lights look like they could be 3 printed; where did you find them? 

Being very picky - well I have to with my handle . . .

The cracked paving slabs - I guess that you may have used a black fine liner.  If you could make the odd crack more of a break with the broken bit slightly tilted - then put a passer by stepping on the uneven bit . . .

The "When Red Light Shows" sign should be in the road in front of the barriers - but given the available road width at the works site, I feel that it's unlikely that they'd bother with traffic light control.  You need a bigger road works?  Or ditch the sign??

The kerb stones look wrong to me.  Firstly for most of London memory suggests that they should be narrower and longer.  (I would estimate about half the width of a paving slab and perhaps twice the length?  They are also much deeper - but that would not be apparent unless you had some paving repair work visible.  Secondly they tend to be mottled grey and white (Granite?) and give a darker effect than the paving slabs.

The cracks were part of the scalescenes kit, but I will most likely add some bigger cracks. There is not that much I can do to fix the kerbs as they are printed from a scalescenes and I used my schools art printer and with having left school I have no way to print them. The roadworks sign is being changed to a pedestrians footpath closed sign with arrow (I just put it there to get and idea), I had originally planned on making a bigger lane closure with temporary traffic lights but the temporary lights I bought were far to small and needed to be 1.5x bigger to be scale accurate.

• 2 months later...

Well, it all seems to have gone quite with your layout. I keep checking to see any updates but nothing, hope you're still working on this?

Could I ask if this is a diorama or will it be a working running layout? If working do you have a trackplan?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it all seems to have gone quite with your layout. I keep checking to see any updates but nothing, hope you're still working on this?

Could I ask if this is a diorama or will it be a working running layout? If working do you have a trackplan?

Thanks

I have been busy recently studying the Highway Code for my theory test, I should be doing some more work on this next week. It is a diorama, the tube stock does not have any motors and I only have a few tube cars. As for the track it is just 2 straight length of tracks.

I am looking for some working lamp posts as well so if anyone has any recommendations it would be appreciated, I was thinking on going with kites lights.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all its been awhile since I have made an update, As I previously mentioned I have been busy doing car theory test revision along with a few other things. Just a small update today, as always sorry about the bad photo quality my Iphone 4's camera seems to be slowly getting worse, I Will try to get some proper good quality pictures sometime this week.

post-27694-0-87590500-1475703735_thumb.jpg

The junction traffic lights are now in place, not painted or glued in position yet.

post-27694-0-14721900-1475703800_thumb.jpg

I am still deciding where to put the roadworks although I do like the idea of having the traffic light being worked on.

post-27694-0-17445600-1475703882_thumb.jpg

The tactile paving is also now in place, I have decided to place the station further along so that I can have an access to the station on the other side of the platform to make it more realistic. I have also made some construction panels to go up so that I can have an access under the arches being worked on.

post-27694-0-99652100-1475704065_thumb.jpg

I have also made the platform surface using the scalescenes kit, The platform edging is actually from Open BVE (a very simple train simulator) from the new central line route. The textures are very detailed meaning that it actually has readable mind the gap writing.

That is it for today, I am going to try and get more done over the following weeks. As always comments and suggestions are very appreciated.

Alex

• Like 6

Wow, great progress. Layout is looking great. I am intrigued as to how you grabbed the platform Edging from BVE? Would appreciate if you could reveal your method.

Keep up the good work, and hope your driving test goes well.

• RMweb Premium

I have been busy recently studying the Highway Code for my theory test, I should be doing some more work on this next week. It is a diorama, the tube stock does not have any motors and I only have a few tube cars. As for the track it is just 2 straight length of tracks.

I am looking for some working lamp posts as well so if anyone has any recommendations it would be appreciated, I was thinking on going with kites lights.

Alex

Try Gaugemaster, they have an excellent choice of LED street lamps, some of which are height ajustable.

Wow, great progress. Layout is looking great. I am intrigued as to how you grabbed the platform Edging from BVE? Would appreciate if you could reveal your method.

Keep up the good work, and hope your driving test goes well.

The platform edging texture is found in openBVE\UserData\LegacyContent\Railway\Object\Central Line\Ban. I used serif page plus to import the scalescenes PDF platform kit, I then imported the platform edging file and scaled it down and then placed it along the edge of the platform texture. I then just duplicated it until it went along the whole length of the page. I am planning on using the files for wall advertisements and a few other things, I will have to find another program to scale them down in as I used serif page plus from school and I am now 18 and have left. I have however used paint.net which is actually really useful for making custom signs.

Another good source of Images and signs is the official London Underground standards PDF's that can be found on TFL's website.

PhilJ W, I shall have a look at the gaugemaster street lamps.

Alex

Edited by Alex_7753

Another good source of Images and signs is the official London's calling standards PDF's that can be found on TFL's website.

Thanks for the reply. I cannot find these on the TFL website, any chance of a link? Many Thanks in advance.

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks good! You need drains, man hole covers, 'Look Left / Right' stenciled on the tarmac at the crossing... and lots more crap lying around, litter, etc