16'' Manning Wardle 0-6-0 (Corby design)

Hi All.

Starting to look like something now...

post-5089-0-76574100-1480777690.jpg

A few little jobs meant the soldering iron came out again, but a quick scrub and clean afterwards has meant the castings are now fitted. I've had to modify a few of them, in particular the safety valves (later photos of MW1762 show Ross-Pop style valves parallel to the cab).

The elaborate hand rails have gone on too. 

post-5089-0-03786600-1480777689.jpg

A lubricator was sourced from DMR products, and a vague representation of the associated plumbing attached to the footplate either side.

post-5089-0-94602700-1480777686.jpg

The last photo shows the buckeye coupling holes opened up, and the first of my Sergent Engineering buckeyes it-situ. These are clamped between 2 nuts, mounted on bolts soldered to the chassis. This means their height can be adjusted by a mm or two, if required. 

Currently the wheel-balance weights are being glued to the wheels. The Center wheel set balance weight needed drilling out, as this sits around the crank pin.

Hoping to get the boiler barrel and High Level gearbox in before the new year as well. 

Paul A. 

• Like 7

Hi All,

post-5089-0-71095100-1481404504_thumb.jpg

High Level gearbox now in (Loadhauler+ 80:1). Mashima M1224 with flywheel in the boiler barrel, with the reduction gears sitting vertically in the firebox, running to the rear wheel set. The photo is a tad misleading, the motor actually sits a couple of mm higher.

The gusset plates for behind the buffer beams are on order (austerity ones will have to do!), and before painting I'll add some archer water slide rivets to the frames.

Paul A.

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Like 10

• 1 year later...

Not that much further other than the application of the base colour, cab-side plates and completion of the chassis.

post-5089-0-11774300-1513725638_thumb.jpg

I need to fix transfers to the bunker when the weather improves and add a coat of varnish. Then I can add the black/red/brass/copper... 

Paul A. 

• Like 8

• 6 months later...

Hi All, 

Just an update on this build. Most of the painting is now complete, bar a few details. 

post-5089-0-30054900-1530559257_thumb.jpg

I've still got to fit the safety chains and dump car couplings. I'll take some photos in the sunshine once it's complete. 

What's next? Well, here's a teaser

post-5089-0-87388900-1530559721_thumb.jpg

Paul A. 

• Like 10

Wow! That is a stunning piece of work, take my hat off to you.

It takes me straight back to the final years of steam in the mines when the last of the Kitsons were eking out their final days in the face of the impending invasion of the diesels. They were quite distinctive, even to a four year old, as the “little” engines as opposed to the “big” engines which were the RSHs.

Great to see it finished and best of luck with that next little project.

STAMFORD 0-6-0ST AE 1972/27  New to Pilton Quarry, now at the Rutland Railway Museum  -  perchance ????

Blimey, that didn't take long. Right you are PGH - I'll start a new thread for this one next week. 

Paul A. 

Blimey, that didn't take long. Right you are PGH - I'll start a new thread for this one next week. 

Paul A. 

An excellent choice I think, look forward to your build.

Edited by PGH

Hi all, 

The addition of safety chains and dump car couplings means that the model is now complete. I'm sure she'll get coaled at some point too. 

post-5089-0-08197900-1530970361_thumb.jpg

It has been an enjoyable and educational build and was my first foray into the world of etching and assembling artwork. 

post-5089-0-06616800-1530970261_thumb.jpg

Many thanks to those who provided drawings/information either by post or by PM. I have two other Stewarts and Lloyds minerals Corby locos quietly waiting to be build, so I'll be back...

Paul A. 

PS. The real Manning Wardle 1762 of 1910 DOLOBRAN is currently under restoration at Ruddington - get along and see the real thing!

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Like 11

• 1 month later...

Hi All, 

I've been approached by a couple of RMweb members who have asked to purchase a set of the etches I have used in this build. These compliment the Agenoria kit as discussed previously, allowing the modeler to adapt a smaller 15'' outside cylinder loco into the larger (longer tank, footplate, frame, rods etc) inside cylinder 16'' design.

post-5089-0-19707200-1535276088_thumb.jpg

If anyone else would like a set please let me know via PM - I'd rather order them all in one go to save on postage etc. I am looking to order in early October. 

Cheers

Paul A. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 26/08/2018 at 10:42, 1whitemoor said:

Hi All, 

I've been approached by a couple of RMweb members who have asked to purchase a set of the etches I have used in this build. These compliment the Agenoria kit as discussed previously, allowing the modeler to adapt a smaller 15'' outside cylinder loco into the larger (longer tank, footplate, frame, rods etc) inside cylinder 16'' design.

post-5089-0-19707200-1535276088_thumb.jpg

If anyone else would like a set please let me know via PM - I'd rather order them all in one go to save on postage etc. I am looking to order in early October. 

Cheers

Paul A. 

Love the tank filer hand rail. Very similar to the Ackton Hall Hunslet.

On 05/11/2019 at 18:57, Corbs said:

Hi Paul,

Please would you be able to tell me the wheel spacing for this loco?

EDIT - I found the driving wheel diameter for 'Carnarvon' which is 4ft 0in

Hi Corbs

Wheelbase is 12' with 5'9'' from front to centre and 6'3'' from centre to rear. 

The wheels were definitely 3' 6'' on all the locos whether MW, Kitson or RSH built. 

Kind regards Paul A. 

• Informative/Useful 1