Oak Road - 2013 to present (a fictitious place somewhere in Somerset) - Raising Money for Meningitis Research

Just thought I’d drop a comment as I’ve been following this layout for ages and thoroughly enjoying seeing the progress both on Facebook and on here every now and then. Really fantastic modelling, makes me want to order some bits and get cracking on my own project to restart some modelling mojo. Hopefully a north west show one day, if not if I can I’ll make the trip north to railex NE.

Keep up the good work

Tom

Just thought I’d drop a comment as I’ve been following this layout for ages and thoroughly enjoying seeing the progress both on Facebook and on here every now and then. Really fantastic modelling, makes me want to order some bits and get cracking on my own project to restart some modelling mojo. Hopefully a north west show one day, if not if I can I’ll make the trip north to railex NE.

Keep up the good work

Tom

Or you could come to DEMU Showcase in 2020 :-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We've been having a few issues out on the road with the layout which needed addressing before Taunton, so I've made a snagging list and have slowly started working though it.

The main problems have been track power and points not throwing, which I think is down to the former, so I got a Tam Valley 5amp Booster from Kevin at Coastal DCC, which should hopefully address this. One of the Cobalts was still out to lunch at Worthing too but this looks to have been a wiring fault (DCC Concepts gave me a new one before I put my hand up and said it was my shoddy workmanship - not the Coblat) and that too has been fixed. The Conrad motors on the fiddle yard boards seem to get a right battering during transit and the tops come loose making them jam up. so to stop this, I've made a plate that sits over the motor body to see if it helps.....if it does, I'll be making up another 22! 

The branch fiddle yard track needs completing so that we can run more than one train backwards and forwards too and I'm tempted to permanently fit a programming tack and a wheel cleaner to one of the boards.

One of the other things that seems to take a right bashing are the legs - people knocking (or kids hanging off) the layout has caused the braces to come unstuck so I'm going to add some little triangles to the joints too.

After all that, I'll get the trees in the copse finished and make everything else touch the back scene so that I don't have any unsightly gaps. Photo updates to follow....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday was a good day - I had a nice HST ride from Didcot to Bristol Temple Meads....and a not so good ride back on an 800...so I got off at Swindon and let 5 other trains go through until I could get back on an HST  :laugh:

While I was there I got some pictures of a buffer stop and the two end of line marker lights to copy....

post-18825-0-12338300-1539268643_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-74526100-1539268654_thumb.jpg

I just need to practice soldering up tiny leds to some brass tube now!

On the layout front, I've installed this....

post-18825-0-31440100-1539268860_thumb.jpg

...so now there's 5amps supplying the track and hopefully fixed the power issue.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

There's not long to go until Taunton now and as mentioned previously, I thought it would be more beneficial to concentrate on reliability first, rather than making everything look pretty, so that's exactly what I've done.

The board joints have had their wiring sorted out and now there's full power to everything. Next on the list were the legs - these have nearly all been glued together now and hopefully I can add some strengthening braces at the weekend for added security.

One thing that's been driving me nuts for months now is the signals, not just lack of operation but how they looked. When I got the original signals, I didn't like the cages and set about making my own.....which didn't get any further than one signal. I've since ripped that cage off too and replaced it, along with adding cages to the others....

post-18825-0-46556700-1539786669_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-28069200-1539786662_thumb.jpg

....all the cages are now complete. If I'm honest, the wire (0.51mm) is a little oversize but the thinner stuff was just too fragile. On the real signal, there's a second ring at the back that I've not added, purely because I'm not sure if I'm sticking with these, or badgering Matt at Absolute Aspects to make me some with thinner posts. 

I've opted to manually control their operation so a friend of mine made up some boards with latching relays and switch panels for the grand summer of a Tenner!!  

post-18825-0-73930400-1539786675_thumb.jpg

Self explanatory really, Red, Yellow, Green...no frills, just good old fashioned push buttons with LEDs to confirm illumination. I'll tidy up the holes and make them nice and square at some point.

The next job is to put the whole layout up and check the fiddle yard operation and fix down some lose track.....then I can tidy up the glaring holes between the scenery and the backscene boards ready for the long old trip to the West Country.

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

The Taunton countdown has begun, but due to work constraints, and other things, I've not been able to do a lot to the layout, so it's in exactly the same condition as it was for Worthing except for the signals. To be fair, I've apologised to Steve Pike but he's not overly concerned so if he isn't worried, then that's a weight off of my mind.

I've spent this weekend getting the stock boxes ready - there's three 64L boxes full to the brim with various bits and pieces all snuggly tucked up in foam trays from JBs Model World - not the cheapest option but when you're lugging twenty grands worth of stock to an exhibition it needs to arrive in one piece.....and Jon is a thoroughly decent chap too.

post-18825-0-53204400-1540202714_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-49483300-1540202491_thumb.jpg

...and I also managed to bodge up some more trays using the discarded inserts and off cuts....

post-18825-0-96818800-1540202477_thumb.jpg

In between the boxing up, I started weathering the 70 I acquired at Folkstone....

post-18825-0-88733500-1540202342_thumb.jpg

...and weathered, detailed and modified the couplings on my Royal Skip... 

post-18825-0-65513600-1540202352_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-29161800-1540206562_thumb.jpg

Finally, here's the electronics made up by Graham to operate the signals....

post-18825-0-42578200-1540202620_thumb.jpg

Well that's about it barring any last minute amendments so for those of you that are going, we'll see you at the weekend where the crew will be myself, Dave and Rhys, with Richard Slate (Mud Magnet Models) and Steve Cox (Readham) making an appearance on Saturday, and on Sunday Ian will be back helping to keep things in order. As always, we'll be running some random nonsense and doing our usual 'throw back' 70's, 80's and 90's running for those of you that still think BR Blue is Modern Image!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Why not add some barriers using the same method as Ian? Spring doorstops with a piece of dowel a foot long and then some cord?

Definitely recommended. Used it too on a previous layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So this is what the modified signals look like....

post-18825-0-87217700-1540287777_thumb.jpg

...this picture shows how shoddy my painting can be at times and an area that I want to improve my skills in!

Here's the lights working - ignore the blutack holding them in place....

post-18825-0-10496400-1540287796_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-55941900-1540287787_thumb.jpg

The lights are quite dim compared to other makes (and other CR signals for some reason) and another annoying issue is that the light hoods are too low making the light not appear circular. On the plus point, they are probably as close to scale as you'll get without scratch building them, and good value for money.

Last night I also managed to start weathering the other loco I picked up at Folksestone....an absolute bargain from Ray Heard......which Nicky has bought me for Christmas (it'll be wrapped up after Taunton ready for December 25th  :laugh: ). 

post-18825-0-03125800-1540287815_thumb.jpg

• Like 17