Oak Road - 2013 to present (a fictitious place somewhere in Somerset) - Raising Money for Meningitis Research

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Southwich said:

Thanks Mike! I assumed they were - I don't suppose you've got any photos of how you've wired them up? Have you used the circuit they provided or an alternative?

Somebody made them for me Will so I’m sorry, I couldn’t tell you. I know they use latching relays.

On 11/02/2019 at 10:10, scoobyra said:

Oak Road is going back to Fareham Rotarail for the second time in two years! Chris Thomas has invited me back and will donate the money raised for the exhibition to the Meningitis Now Charity - this is another amazing gesture to help me raise money for Meningitis research.

that is quite something Mike.  well done for what you're doing for the charity.  You've certainly got some amazing support from the guys on here and especially Chris at Rotarail.    No pressure to be the best in show then...   (even if its not something they officially award as its all for charity...)  great news all round.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I got a bit busy over the weekend and scratch built a pipe that was missing from one of the sheds I got from Graham (the one at the top of the picture)

836655819_ShedRepairs.jpg.156341a64e2fcbc7aed504cd3d0e1137.jpg

...and I finally got around to adding some discharged toilet roll to the track....

1298076542_DoNotFlush.jpg.4497f2125c97b1d5df75e1a0768316bd.jpg

1527790201_MoreDoNotFlush.jpg.a67745fdefa5ae04e490c8c5b6d235c8.jpg

82097653_FullyFlushed.jpg.a377395732de5b7510ecd01e05d469b3.jpg

It still needs some work, along with some nice sloppy effluent (model form, not the real stuff!) and some litter.

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

ERM ... :) shouldn't that be a bit more brown... :) 

Only when ‘fresh’.  The brown washes away leaving the white behind. 

Choice of word intentional!

Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've had a break from spreading sh!t around and have added a new feature for Swansea - fully working stone sidings complete with auto uncoupling!

After Ian told me about putting magnets under the track (Brian Kirby uncoupling) I did some Google and YouTube searching, and then put my own spin on it (probably the same ideas that everyone else has) so it would work with the non standard coupling hoops on the 66s, and it works really well. There's a bit of tweaking needed so that I don't need to back the loco up so much but I'm pleased with the outcome. It means for the first time ever (with the relaid track) stone trains can run in without derailments, from either the down main or branch (or even be backed in from the up main) and the loco can uncouple itself and run round. Coupling back up needs a bit more thought but it won't be too much of a problem once I've modified the coupling hoop.

There's a bit of an issue for the operator though as they can't technically see where to stop the train, so I may need to add a few more magnets to give a larger target area.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Following on from the stone sidings post, I decided it was time to give the rails a coat of paint! 

198875016_Stoneentrance.jpg.9ef866fccb8e1738949768f5e8290e82.jpg

199712078_StoneHeadshunt.jpg.aeca50f279ca61699804c69c8d19bc33.jpg

They still look a bit too 'pink' so I may need to tone them down a bit, and to be honest, I really should've taken a fibreglass pencil to the rail to remove the ballast that's stuck to the side of them!

I've got some fishplates to add to the outside edges of the rail joins but going on previous experience, I'll leave the inside ones off and just add some greasy looking paint.

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Iron Horse said:

My God, how long did that take? Any particular colour?

Difficult to say Ade - I painted the sleepers back in June 2016 (I can't quote the post as there's no numbers on them anymore!) It took me around an hour to paint 3ft of rail sides last night with a paint brush though.

The layout is constantly evolving, just like the real railway because I'm forever digging stuff up and replacing it. I don't always blend it back in either which makes for a more realistic effect. Other stuff has had paint applied on top of paint, possibly 4 or 5 times over, which again, adds depth to what would normally be one block of colour.

For reference, most things can be replicated with Black, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, White, Light Grey, Dark Grey and Antique Gold. There's also a bit of Purple and Red thrown in somewhere too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, scoobyra said:

I can't quote the post as there's no numbers on them anymore!

You can, the numbers were removed as they could change, but if (on the post you want to quote) you click on the little triangular symbol to the right of 'Report Post' it will give you the web URL to that specific post, which you can then paste (or link) into your message, there by making it easy for people to back to a post on the same thread, or any other thread.

Superb modelling as ever, always enjoy popping and seeing what's going on.

Rich

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've not really done much of late due to work commitments and the loss of my 'Oak Road' mojo - it get's like that every now and then, so I just need to down tools for a while and do something else, in this case, practicing some weathering on some O Gauge track, and designing a 5'x4' Setrack Roundy Roundy based on the layout that Chris Nevard has just built for the new Kernow store in Guildford, which when built, will be auctioned off to raise money for the Meningitis Now charity.

I've also done some more work on the remaining IOAs....

IOA.jpg.a9ae47cf2f2ac7614a2c0480e36e127f.jpg

1044015307_MoreIOAs.jpg.83272d0d66f4b583fd4f9f1b2c650dee.jpg

315032687_Inservice2.jpg.b455c8f88daeb8b3029c397a3850ca5c.jpg

593095721_Inservice.jpg.09650f8af8041ca33e927f4076fddd47.jpg

Before my mojo went awol, I relaid some more of the fiddle yard and painted the rails in the stone sidings. Last night I added a catch pit and some fresh ballast to the mainline.

1193446670_CatchPit.jpg.a9b6b4ffbfe24226aae8aa6f47a9fa07.jpg

1436632164_FreshBallast.jpg.dd687eec2e12b92d5b62b94ca2619f6e.jpg

I'm away with Ian (Rhys, Paul and Nigel) this weekend with Tidworth - we're at Wimrail if anyone wants to pop along and say hello, and then next weekend I'll be heading to Penzance behing the new GBRf 50's, and the following weekend, there's a big football match for the lower league teams at Wembley, so there may not be much else done for a while..........I'm sure Steve Flint is supposed to be coming to take some pictures soon!?

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 26/02/2019 at 13:20, scoobyra said:

I got a bit busy over the weekend and scratch built a pipe that was missing from one of the sheds I got from Graham (the one at the top of the picture)

836655819_ShedRepairs.jpg.156341a64e2fcbc7aed504cd3d0e1137.jpg

...and I finally got around to adding some discharged toilet roll to the track....

1298076542_DoNotFlush.jpg.4497f2125c97b1d5df75e1a0768316bd.jpg

1527790201_MoreDoNotFlush.jpg.a67745fdefa5ae04e490c8c5b6d235c8.jpg

82097653_FullyFlushed.jpg.a377395732de5b7510ecd01e05d469b3.jpg

It still needs some work, along with some nice sloppy effluent (model form, not the real stuff!) and some litter.

So Oak Road will be electrified with "turd rail?"  (LOL)

Maybe a little gloss varnish on a couple of sleepers to represent a fresh flush?

Excellent modelling.

Regards,

C.

• RMweb Premium

Meant to mention to you earlier Mike, they are now using the side tippers for bulk ballast work, to Westbury. They have some labelling on them that states that they don't / aren't for side tipping anymore - I will endeavour to get a photo, if you need one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

One of the jobs I've been meaning to get around to is fitting brass tubes in to the platforms to locate the lights in to. I can't glue them in permanently because they're so fragile and get broken easily by little hands, or clumsy people trying to take pictures or holding themselves up with their hands (or elbows) on the layout, so I needed a practical solution. Luckily, the Albion Alloys thin wall brass tubing that I used for the posts slots perfectly in to the next size up, so I've cut some up in to platform height lengths and glued them in. 

1567958678_Thereturnofthelight.jpg.5895bf2ecf9dc3e7cd01df53375b5f3d.jpg

One day I may even get around to making them illuminate!

• Like 12

On 17/03/2019 at 22:17, ba14eagle said:

Meant to mention to you earlier Mike, they are now using the side tippers for bulk ballast work, to Westbury. They have some labelling on them that states that they don't / aren't for side tipping anymore - I will endeavour to get a photo, if you need one. 

Have you seen the set that says pea gravel only it, but loads with ballast? Think we've got 4 sets for ballast and one for pea gravel as a spare. All get used for ballast. Using sidetippers is awkward at times, only just fits in the run round loop and needs pushing in or splitting to offload. Didn't think I'd miss the Mussels!

Mike, nice weathering on your Mussel fleet, they really are looking battered these days. Your track images just get better and better!

Jo

Edited by Steadfast