Oak Road - 2013 to present (a fictitious place somewhere in Somerset) - Raising Money for Meningitis Research

• RMweb Gold

Why don’t you add some barriers like Ian has on Tidworth to the front to keep fingers away from the lamps? They are fast to pop on and if you paint them to match the front they don’t distract attention. 

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Why don’t you add some barriers like Ian has on Tidworth to the front to keep fingers away from the lamps? They are fast to pop on and if you paint them to match the front they don’t distract attention. 

I have thought about it Paul, and I've also had some of the pull out type, crowd control barriers on my radar.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Agree with PaulRHB it doesn't need to be over-engineered. Not seen the Tidworth example he quotes but the flexible dowel arms attached with door stop springs and then a rope run parallel with the board front works well. Takes up almost no space in the van, cheap to do, and they fit in minutes. Also as the arms are springy there is (a) minimal safety issue and (b) that they are flexible reduces wobbling of the actual layout you get from anything fixed and rigid.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold
On 28/03/2019 at 19:29, KeithHC said:

New train for you to model after today. How about the Royal Train it came to Castle Cary today bringing Her Majesty for a visit. Something a little different.

Keith

I'm already half way through the Royal Train Keith. I did ask the station guys if she was coming in on the Royal Train but they didn't know. Gutted I missed it.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, scoobyra said:

I'm already half way through the Royal Train Keith. I did ask the station guys if she was coming in on the Royal Train but they didn't know. Gutted I missed it.

They won't, the schedule is closely guarded until the last minute, disciplinary offence to reveal it due to security anyway ;) 

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, scoobyra said:

The train from what I can gather left from Euston the night before.

Keith 

Edited by AY Mod
Security sensitive info removed.
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 23/04/2019 at 16:18, scoobyra said:

This is probably the hardest bit of modelling I've ever done, even though most people would find it a piece of cake. I couldn't get the paint right and no matter what I did, it still looked garbage. It's not perfect by any means but it looks ok from a distance when it's whizzing around so I'm happy to let it loose on the layout.

And here it is again waiting to leave Oak Road - Paul RHB kindly photoshopped a background in for me and it makes such a difference...

029.JPG.190c89ac91e109ca01ead2d2d2b237ad.JPG

Now if you can just repaint the next coach into blue and grey, and maybe the following seven .. oh and the other power car, it will be a good Livery on the best train yet!! :)

Great work on the repaint tho, I personally cannot see any problems or queries with it? The whole layout is looking superb as ever. Great modelling.

Rich

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Now if you can just repaint the next coach into blue and grey, and maybe the following seven .. oh and the other power car, it will be a good Livery on the best train yet!! :)

Great work on the repaint tho, I personally cannot see any problems or queries with it? The whole layout is looking superb as ever. Great modelling.

Rich

It's funny Rich, the livery really suits the power car and makes it stand out in model form, even more so than the Swallow / Exec versions. Personally, I just don't have the budget, or the space to go down the 70's / 80's route but with the help of my friends, we can do a pretty good late 80's early 90's effort - something I'd like to do for half a day, possibly at Trainwest 

• Like 2

43002 looking very smart Mike, my finger's hovering over the 'Buy' button for a Dapol set to respray as that and 185. 

Glad to hear the layout is coming to Trainwest 2020, I'll have my fingers crossed to be there. Work got in the way of this year's show sadly.

A workmate mentioned to me about this great layout he'd seen on Facebook, he got his phone out to show me and lo and behold it was Oak Road! Definitely captures the scene very well

Jo

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, scoobyra said:

It's funny Rich, the livery really suits the power car and makes it stand out in model form, even more so than the Swallow / Exec versions. Personally, I just don't have the budget, or the space to go down the 70's / 80's route but with the help of my friends, we can do a pretty good late 80's early 90's effort - something I'd like to do for half a day, possibly at Trainwest 

If you did want to do a day in 80's mode, I'd be over the moon to help you out with stock (fairly rigidly 86 & 87 - no triple grey!)  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apologies for the lack of updates again.....I had a little accident in my car resulting in a dose of whiplash that's getting possessively worse by the day! 

So. before the drama kicked off, I decided I'd replicate the 50 Tour...literately! So both of my 50s are heading for the mini Arlington and having a nice new paint job - some of the paint is still wet in this picture....

226875367_GBRf50.jpg.48b8eba6ee94389dc0ad3a841269cdcd.jpg

I also bought this....

1570789898_DonorShell.jpg.42d8a18411d4d486342a8dad5647248c.jpg

....and did this....

Louvres.jpg.3d260e68f8ab30e903d1e4ee26aa160f.jpg

....which in turn lead to......

1708662594_LouvresFitted.jpg.eb8fc0e2e3fd88f13755da182c09e2e7.jpg

...and finally this.....

969083510_LouvresPainted.jpg.41323c2762f1ad30904dae7a2cfc1b15.jpg

They're not perfect but they look way better than the Hornby ones. I may also have them for sale soon!

So on to the coaches, and after Dave at Wicor Models supplied me a Railroad BSK for the cost of a Bacon Roll and a Cop of Tea, I turned it in to the Generator Coach.....

1177965157_GennyCoach.jpg.891704f686470e916d145940288ef3eb.jpg

I'll do my usual Bachmann Commonwealth bogie conversion later.

Here's coaches B (the one Ian was in) and A (the one myself, Rhys and Stu were in) - luckily, we were right behind the locos for the thrash from Penzance back to Exeter....

219162366_CoachesAandB.jpg.566dc7227fccd94ad50bfcd8ca46781f.jpg

So that leaves me with the layout. Unfortunately, I've had to vacate the workshop as it's been let to a customer, meaning the layout is now stored in the office, and with my neck and shoulders wishing to cause the rest of my body as much hassle as possible, I won't be doing anything else to it anytime soon, even if I do get the use of another workshop as I'm signed off work!

Before I took it down though, I did manage this....

2071086041_Facsia1.jpg.1e6b480753daa0335951b45e21d7d014.jpg

2071168480_Facsia2.jpg.307b8d102bcfb93cc4a37eb996f3fb9e.jpg

A big thank you must go to Eurocell of Fareham for supplying the UPVc fascia board. I wanted something durable and lightweight, and this fits the bill perfectly. Justin made me up some gussets for the supports and he's also supplied me 80 smaller ones to strengthen up the legs! If it looks like the fascia is rising up in the middle, that's because I've set the angle of the middle support at 92 degrees - this will compensate for hanging Tim's Nameplate from it and levelling it back out.

Right, that's about it for now...hopefully it won't be too long before I'm on the mend and back at it for the Swansea show where we'll have a new crew member as Graham has joined the team to help cover for Dave.

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 05/07/2019 at 18:45, Rich Papper said:

Hi Mike. This just pinged into my inbox. Not sure if you have this one - 43041 Meningitis Trust - on offer at Rails.

Rich

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35930/Hornby-r3685-oo-gauge-gwr-class-43-hst-power-cars-pack-43041-meningitis-trust-support-for-life-and-43005

I've been offered one by Hornby (amazing gesture) but I'd already made it from 43188 a day beofre they released the official model! :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1