Oak Road - 2013 to present (a fictitious place somewhere in Somerset) - Raising Money for Meningitis Research

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned, Train-Tech have made something for me and a nice box of goodies turned up at Grapefruit Towers....

993746983_Boxofgoodies.jpg.065e6940da6f5f7a253ce49bac5f8109.jpg

...inside this box is 12 modified flashing tail lamp units that flash at twice per second, as with the modern MK3 Dorman lamps. They come with a battery and a very bright LED, but I use them to power the DCC Concepts rear lamps (filed down to make them look like MK3s) and they work a treat! Obviously, they're only good for trains working in one direction, so I've got some other wagons fitted with decoders for reversible trains. The part number is AL4 and although they're not on the Train-Tech website, you can order them by phone, or by email. Here's the unit bodged in to the bottom of an IOA....

136741780_FlasherUnitInstall.jpg.56fc29b0ebccaa1adb7c622b2b08e89e.jpg 

I'll clean the hole up once I've finished.

Next up, the 166 donated by Rhys is coming along nicely...

1528864464_166FGW.jpg.e675941af43c688c07f739b08a891c6a.jpg

and so is the 'old faithful' 158....

589120388_GWR158.jpg.61d9d35c9f9262795415653ea1005054.jpg

My painting is definitely dire but I'm kind of beyond caring now.....my arm hurts too much and I want some more units available for Swansea.

So that brings me to this........

18596667_Louvrestaketwo.jpg.1e4a30bfe203dbe6c99fc4db3628cb86.jpg

....replacement louvres 'take two'! These are a much better fit than the first attempt and they're away for casting and will hopefully be available for the end of September.

As far as the layout goes, there will be very little, if not any work done before Swansea, which is a shame, but with a knackered shoulder, and work being manic, it is what is is unfortunately.........but it all works, and we'll have lots of trains running :D

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well guys, the Swansea exhibition is this weekend and the layout hasn't really moved on much since Taunton last year. It does however, have it's nameplate and fascia!

I'm a bit miffed that I got superglue bleed on the extreme left fascia board so I need to try and cover it up somehow. 

1583970722_Fascia1.jpg.88160d4210809f5860c3d9658e8da3b1.jpg

1778283830_Fascia2.jpg.77d2784275055ede0127c23058d518bf.jpg

I need to do a bit more painting and then it'll be packed up ready for the show.

There's no layout sign on it so if you're travelling to Swansea, just look for the HST nameplate, or, 4 lunatics in bright orange and white T Shirts crashing trains in to each other! The team this weekend is your's truly, Ian, Rhys and Graham. 

Cheers

Mike

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Oak Road is now back at Grapefruit Towers and it can quite happily sit there for a while too because the weekend didn't go completely as planned. Unfortunately, Graham had to cancel due to family commitments but to be fair to him, with the traffic getting to Swansea taking us nearly 7 hours from Portsmouth, via Ian's, he may have arrived on Sunday! When we did get in to the venue, I'd realised I'd left the leg braces back in the workshop, and the space allocated for the layout was only 16'! Luckily, I had some wood in the van that Ian cut up (too short - my measurements not his) and we made some leg braces 'on the fly' which held up well, and we shoved the layout up as close as we could to the next one (Bradwell Point) to make sure we weren't stuck halfway across a walkway.

It took a few hours for things to settle down on Saturday but after that, other than two point motors not behaving, Ian and Rhys did a great job of running the trains, with a mix of present day and 90s stock all weekend, and I'm very grateful for their help. 

There's now a list of priority things to do before the next show to aid reliability, and make putting the layout up and taking down easier, and again, a huge thanks to Ian & Rhys for putting up with me being an argumentative miserable git after Sunday lunchtime.

I can relax and help operate a layout that works on Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th October as Tidworth and it's new extension makes it's debut at Fareham  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• Tempfix

Don't worry, we've all been there. My second ever exhibition I managed to short out the entire layout about half an hour in. I tried everything I could think of to get it going for about 5 minutes with rising levels of panic but to no avail. Then a very kind passer by leaned over my traverser, flicked one of the bolts and it all came to life again. Turned out I had managed to build it so that the bolts that locked the traverser in place were able to touch the adjacent track. Only by about half a mm but I would never have spotted it!

rich

• Friendly/supportive 3

Hi Young Mike, Great to meet you and the Tidworth Crew at the weekend, some REAL modelling going on here, which is way above my skills level but always fascinating to see. Also like the look of your Bass Axe and the Acoustic  in the background as well.

Keep up the good work and the keep the pics coming.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Thanks 1

Hi Scoobyra, been looking through your thread and I'm sure I've said it before but I love looking through your pics. Your layout immediately creates the atmosphere of the 'modern day' GWR. Great stuff!

Steve.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/10/2019 at 08:13, Andrew P said:

Hi Young Mike, Great to meet you and the Tidworth Crew at the weekend, some REAL modelling going on here, which is way above my skills level but always fascinating to see. Also like the look of your Bass Axe and the Acoustic  in the background as well.

Keep up the good work and the keep the pics coming.

Cheers Andy, and likewise.

'Young Mike'? I could get used to that! :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been a bit of a busy bee over the last few days, just whiling away the time with some basic modelling.

Some drivers  for the 'still work in progress' WCR 47...

2136771386_WCRCrew.jpg.250cd4192bb21e28342e5dce015a8bf7.jpg

.... and weathering up my birthday present form Nicky....

564197019_RedArrows.jpg.15bb1679b35e26bb8bbb9cce12dc82d9.jpg

After some prompting from Nigel, I also acquired some Kernow / Revolution JNA-Ts at the weekend which I've started to weather too....

JNA-T.jpg.c8b53ee35e478b36dd7143a2be4ea7fe.jpg

....but there's a couple of jobs that have given me the most satisfaction. 

I've been scratching my head for ages after being told I couldn't exhibit Oak Road at a 'finescale show' because I had tension lock couplings....which I find a bit hypocritical considering sprat & winkle couplings are no more prototypical....but it did get me thinking. The wagons I run have screw links in real life, but in model form, this gives rise to two major issues, firstly, there's no available option for sprung buffers on JNAs or IOAs, and secondly, myself, Ian and Rhys don't want to spend 4 hours coupling up a rake of 20 wagons! Cue my cunning plan....

146579379_JNACoupling.jpg.7e622720c6f49636c4c18d279c340ff7.jpg

..this is a cut down Bachmann pipe coupler, with two tiny magnets glued to each half. The wagons can negotiate radius 2 curves (not that I have any on the layout) without falling off the track, and because of the design of the Dapol coupling cam, I could reduce the gap even further if I wanted to. The magnets are also very strong and I managed to tow a box of M8 bolts along without them separating.

So cue the next bit. The MK3 coaches have been driving me bonkers with the overly large D Ring couplings, so I tried the pipe connector with the newer NEM pocket Hornby MK3 bogies....this didn't work because they didn't float - if one bogie tilted, then then the connected one would do the same. I'd looked at various ways of retro fitting the Bachmann cams but they weren't long enough for the 75' chassis, so I bit the bullet and bought some Keen Systems coupling cams. These aren't for the feint hearted as the coach floor needs to be cut out, and with the price of these coaches going through the roof, it was a difficult decision to make....actually, I lied, it was more difficult to work out where to cut the floor, than actually doing it! 

Standard D Ring....

1461527886_MK3TensionLock.jpg.c00d8b7cf1989d6fcb4fd25260db34e2.jpg

Keen cam and socket.....

1668544415_MK3Keen.jpg.daa65d45f6ba1e1f02c75d04dc4c23f1.jpg

...this is how they look coupled up.....

2123454382_PipeConnector.jpg.eff7057abb0581558a4b4e8cd3999472.jpg

I was a bit dubious as to whether they would work but I brought them in to work this morning and they work perfectly! Unlike the wagons where I've cut one side of the pipe connector off, I've left these as the double width, and the next step is to add some 3x2x1 rectangular magnets to them. The power cars will need a bit of thought due to the tanks but I have a plan!

Referring back to the XC coaches, Hornby made a livery error (really??) and left the black band off of the bottom of the tumblehome - this makes the coaches look completely wrong, so I've added it (well to two so far)....

1474437868_XCMK3Tumblehome2.jpg.352991c9ba1487386089b1bc028d8073.jpg 

....it makes the body side look shallower and the coach look longer. I've also added some emergency steps too....

XC MK3 Detailing.jpg

One more thing of note is that I've bought a new type of point motor to trial as a replacement for the unreliable Conrads - I'll post an update later on in the week once I've had a chance to fit it.

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, scoobyra said:

The power cars will need a bit of thought due to the tanks but I have a plan!

I've gone for Symoba coupling conversions from DCC Supplies on my HST sets, good for the power cars as you don't have to cut into the floor, just the middle of the air tanks to make space for the slider.

symoba2.jpg.86f484643369d381f6e9211e25911357.jpgsymoba1.jpg.f81e7475de8f04ce049515fcd9278a36.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Red Fox said:

I've gone for Symoba coupling conversions from DCC Supplies on my HST sets, good for the power cars as you don't have to cut into the floor, just the middle of the air tanks to make space for the slider.

symoba2.jpg.86f484643369d381f6e9211e25911357.jpgsymoba1.jpg.f81e7475de8f04ce049515fcd9278a36.jpg

That'll do nicely for the PCs. I've not seen them before - how do they cope with being coupled gangway to gangway and negotiating radius 2 curves? Mind you, having just checked, they're bloody expensive!

Edited by scoobyra
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/10/2019 at 14:45, scoobyra said:

That'll do nicely for the PCs. I've not seen them before - how do they cope with being coupled gangway to gangway and negotiating radius 2 curves? Mind you, having just checked, they're bloody expensive!

I've not been particularly adventurous with testing them on curves as I only go as far down as radius 3 and I don't have mine gangway to gangway as I used kadee 18's, I could probably have gotten away with 17's (didn't have any at the time) on r3 or even a solid bar.  My principle goal was just to get rid of the awful Hornby coupling arrangement on the HST's!

gwr4.jpg.3971cf3819772ad7cffa63617fbc5c2b.jpg

• Like 2