Oak Road - 2013 to present (a fictitious place somewhere in Somerset) - Raising Money for Meningitis Research

• RMweb Gold

That's all coming together really nicely, love both the track and the platform. How did you do  the correct width platform edge please?

Hi Adrian

I used the same method as you did with the Peco platform edging and laid an extra strip of plasticard up against the coping stones to increase the width. I then scored it with a razor saw to match the Peco slabs. 

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Cool, thanks Mike, reference for my next layout.......how did you paint the line? I keep putting off doing mine.......lol!!!!

That's the EASY bit buddy. Get yourself some decent masking tape and stick it down 1mm (three inches) from the edge and splosh some paint on......literally! Then after a minute of two, remove the masking tape before the paint is completely dry and you should end up with something resembling a white line painted by a workman that doesn't care about his work (apologies to anyone that does this for a living.......I was joking).

• RMweb Gold

The platforms are looking great Mike - that paint effect on the slabs looks very realistic, when you remember how you did it, do share!!

Makes me realise I might need a bit more tonal variation on mine....

Cheers,

Chris

It's all done with cheap acrylics Chris, from The Range (or similar shop), they're about £1.25 each.

I painted the 'slabs' all one colour and then dry brushed different greys, browns and blacks over them. The Sandy / Orange ones on the up platform were painted with some weird yellow colour, almost like an ochre and then had the same process done to them. Different brushes seemed to give different effects so I just randomly dabbed, scratched, brushed and rubbed the paint on. 

Here's a picture of it now that I've redone the slabs and added the H&S lines - ignore the AWS Ramp, it's not finished yet which is why it looks like a bit of plastic. I still need to weather the lines too and remove the excess white paint from under the yellow one!

post-18825-0-47280300-1478095432_thumb.jpg

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

As someone suggested in an earlier post, I should be able to run a fair few different HST combos and various other trains so I've been running through a stock list.

Currently in the cupboard I have:

Harry Patch HST

Unnamed FGW HST

Corps of REME HST

GWR HST

XC HST

Enough MK3s to make two complete 8 car sets in blue (with buffet, micro buffet, no buffet and 1st/2nd composite), one complete GWR set, and one complete XC set.

Virgin 220 Voyager

XC 220 Voyager

XC 221 Voyager

FGW 57

Complete sleeper set (including correct buffet and BFO)

158 (to be resprayed in to GWR)

2x DRS 37s plus short set (fictitious replacement of units for branch)

DBS 59

12x IOAs for ballast train.

2x JIA China Clays (I need another 8)

So I'm assuming in addition to the above, I'm going to need some 150's 150/1 + 150/2), a 153, a 144 (or 143), a Steamer and a Charter Set, and some EWS 66s. Can anyone think of anything else that would run through Taunton apart from the Network Rail HST and Track Care stock?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Edited by scoobyra

Hi,

While in Exeter (with work), I have seen twice x2 Class 56's with a full rake of FGW HST coaches, I don't know if it's a stock move or going to the works somewhere (the last one I saw had the ex Fastline 56).

Also earlier this year I saw a rake of Autoballasters top and tailed with Colas 70's, these were going to Westbury from St Blazey.

There is a stone train that goes into the Riverside yard from the mendips (normally a DBS 59 or 66), but the wagons are not currently available.

You may wish to get a DRS class 57 for when the FGW one breaks down.

If I see anything else on my travels I'll let you know.

Regards

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

While in Exeter (with work), I have seen twice x2 Class 56's with a full rake of FGW HST coaches, I don't know if it's a stock move or going to the works somewhere (the last one I saw had the ex Fastline 56).

Also earlier this year I saw a rake of Autoballasters top and tailed with Colas 70's, these were going to Westbury from St Blazey.

There is a stone train that goes into the Riverside yard from the mendips (normally a DBS 59 or 66), but the wagons are not currently available.

You may wish to get a DRS class 57 for when the FGW one breaks down.

If I see anything else on my travels I'll let you know.

Regards

Nigel

Thanks Nigel

Not sure how the 57s every break down.....they only make a couple of trips a day!!! Hahahahaha

• RMweb Gold

Here's a picture of it now that I've redone the slabs and added the H&S lines - ignore the AWS Ramp, it's not finished yet which is why it looks like a bit of plastic. I still need to weather the lines too and remove the excess white paint from under the yellow one!

attachicon.gifUp Platform.jpg

Brilliant work mate, could easily be mistaken for the real thing.

Al.

GWR/FGW do seem to be having reliability issues with their Class 57's. The other month I saw the Night Riveria and there was a DRS 57 I think called the Pride of Carlisle. I smiled to myself as Carlisle is probably one of the furthest towns from Penzance in England. During the summer Saturday daytime trains to Exeter their was one in the newer blue and greenie fading livery (don't know the correct description).

a quick look on flickr shows

colas 56 & timber - https://www.flickr.com/photos/47500cdb/10315683046/

DBS 66 on fuel - https://www.flickr.com/photos/peteryoungrailwayphotos/11250894183/

The search also throws up DCR 31's but always as light engines and charters mainly in the hands of DBS 67 or DRS 37's

Hope this helps.

Mark

Colas 56 on the logs.........I can here the scream already  ;)

There has also been a DBS 66 with MEA's loaded with sand from Cornwall to Bow in the last couple of years and cement to Burngullow (Colas) should be starting again soon if what I have read elsewhere is correct!

Edited by Iron Horse

• RMweb Gold

The Peco AWS Ramps are pretty poor so I had a go at doctoring one. 

This is a rough effort which will look a whole load better once I've straightened it out and weathered it properly although it's still a bit too wide!

post-18825-0-70326500-1478213377_thumb.jpg

Once I've finished it I'll add the cables and stick it down. 

Note to self: STOP DOING THE DETAILED BITS AND FINISH THE BASICS!!!

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

As someone suggested in an earlier post, I should be able to run a fair few different HST combos and various other trains so I've been running through a stock list.

Currently in the cupboard I have:

(list snipped)

Don't forget the test trains......

In particular 950001 that pretty much will go anywhere

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Here's the AWS Ramp after a bit more messing around......it's still WAY too wide so Harry The Hacksaw my get a call to cut it down to the right width! I could of course buy some that were the right size from Shapeways but then I'd be shelling out a million quid in postage and with all the HSTs I need to sound chip, every penny counts! 

Colour needs a bit more work too but it's going in the right direction.

post-18825-0-39284400-1478295722_thumb.jpg

• Like 9