Oak Road - 2013 to present (a fictitious place somewhere in Somerset) - Raising Money for Meningitis Research

If you are operating the layout in October to December, have you considered a Railhead Treatment Train.

I was at Exeter St Davids earlier this morning and 66160 & 66238 (loco numbers were only just visible and I was stood about 12 feet away) were on an RHTT, they arrived from the Cowley Bridge direction into platform 2 then back out towards Cowley Bridge and Taunton (just an idea).

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nigel. It's kind of set in the spring / summer I guess given the way I'm doing the scenery but there's no reason why I couldn't run anything - people like watching trains go by and this is half the reason I've built it.

With no disrespect to the guys that build fantastic steam era layouts, and people like yourself with end to ends, kids love to watch trains whizz by, and if I'm honest, even at 50, so do I. So my thought process was to build something where I could have everything.....non stopping, stopping, reversing and all stuff that young people would relate to......maybe I'm still trying to contain the child within myself? But it seemed like a good idea and I'm hoping people will like it when they see it but not take it too seriously.

Please keep the train movement ideas coming because living in Portsmouth, I never get to see anything except Desiro's and 158s!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

After seeing Simon's AWS Ramps on Norwood Road at Wycrail, I'm not going to bother with the Peco ones as they stand - they're way to chunky all round and not the correct shape, so this leaves me with three routes.

I can either completely modify the Peco ones by narrowing them, build some new ones from scratch, or get a couple of Simon's 3D printed ones.

My gut feeling is to do the latter, given that they are the correct size and look the part. The downside is that it'll cost me a small fortune due to the cost of postage from Shapeways!

Watch this space......

Edited by scoobyra

• RMweb Gold

I had a bit of time on my hands today so I managed to do the wiring on the second station board (except the last point motor) and I'm pleased to say that trains run smoothly across the board joint with no clonks or derailments. I did, however find something that needs attention.....after all, it wouldn't be me if I didn't do everything at least TWICE!

Given the length of an HST, the poor old guard can't get any bikes or pushchairs in to the TGS because it's still somewhere in the next county  :O  :O  :O meaning that I need to move the signal away from the platform by another 120mm (approximately 4 3/4 inches for the senior members - I think  :laugh:) which is a little awkward as it's getting a bit too close to the point for the bay / stone terminal.

While I'm contemplating what to do about it, I took a few shots of the HST to cheer me up...

post-18825-0-36067600-1479078562_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-61389200-1479078557_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-54762500-1479078549_thumb.jpg

I doubt that I'll do much now until after Warley.....unless I get bored!

Mike

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 13

Hi Mike

See, I missed your layout too. Absolutely superb attention to detail. One thing that really did catch my eye was your IOA wagon. I work these regularly at work either to Stud Farm or Mountsorrel. I have to say that you've got the markings / damage on the side absolutely spot on mate. Top work indeed.

Shall now be following along with interest.

All the best

Marcus.

I just read your comment about your IOA. I think sometimes when we do things we are not happy with it takes someone else to decide if it looks right or not. Trust me I'm always working with them and I think it looks just right. If you want some prototype pictures close up I'm on the Mountsorrel job on Thursday. Should be able to get some close ups whilst I'm stood in Humberston Road.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I just read your comment about your IOA. I think sometimes when we do things we are not happy with it takes someone else to decide if it looks right or not. Trust me I'm always working with them and I think it looks just right. If you want some prototype pictures close up I'm on the Mountsorrel job on Thursday. Should be able to get some close ups whilst I'm stood in Humberston Road.

Yes please mate, that would be brilliant!

Mike

• RMweb Gold

PANIC ALERT!!! PANIC ALERT!!!!

Our club exhibition manager has just asked me if I'd consider taking Oak Road to our Fareham RailEX 2017 in October.

Great.......except I've got a lot of plywood still showing on all four boards  :O  :O  :O 

Time to pull my finger out and get the station finished. Still, on the plus side, at least trains will run on it and everything works. There's a lot to be said about DCC and a simple layout plan :crazy:  :crazy:

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

So, inspired by James Making (and the rest of the Loftus Road Nutters), I thought I'd have a go at some 'interior' modelling.....and due to the fact that my Ratio 'Castle Cary' station building wasn't the straightest building in the world, I dismantled it and set about correcting it.

Now on the two times I've been to Castle Cary, I didn't think to take any pictures of the inside of the building so therefore I've created something from memory that'll do the job.....

post-18825-0-82109500-1479419274_thumb.jpg

Ok, I know this is never going to win any prizes for being the best or neatest bit of modelling but if I don't have a go, I'll never improve. Hopefully, I can tidy it up a bit and once the roof is on, and the lights installed, nobody will notice my errors.

In the meantime, if anyone has any pictures of the seats in the waiting room at Castle Cary, or happens to know what they look like, I'd be very grateful as I need to make some!

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 13

Sorry Mike 

Ended up with a different job yesterday. Didn't think some pictures of JGA's would be much use. I'll try and get some next week mate.

Cheers

Marcus 

• RMweb Gold

Well, here's a not-so-good update.

I managed to build the rest of the station platforms but not all has gone according to plan. After running out of liquid poly, and no other shops being open except Hobbycraft, I had to make do with some Humbrol stuff instead of my usual cheapo brand. This was the first not-so-good bit because the Humbrol stuff absolutely stinks and......it started to distort my platform edges!

Ok, there may have been a bit of user error whereby I used a bit too much but it almost turned it to chocolate!!!!!!

I didn't follow my own example of using filler for the tarmac and instead opted for plain sheets of plasticard because it was a larger area, this was the second not-so-good bit. It's dead flat and looks like the stuff that comes out of a dogs backside (I'm being polite and leaving my Tourettes this side of the keyboard). I'm not sure how to remedy this because there's a third not-so-good bit too.......I've not put the right number of paving slab rows in and looks complete tosh too!

It's all a learning curve I guess so as per my usual method.....that'll be me redoing it again then.

• Like 1

Hi

Don't quite know what to say......

Except when previously you've had a problem the replacement/repair has always turned out superb.....

Keep smiling......

We're all appreciating your undoubted modelling skills & I certainly have learnt from your experiences/techniques....

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Don't quite know what to say......

Except when previously you've had a problem the replacement/repair has always turned out superb.....

Keep smiling......

We're all appreciating your undoubted modelling skills & I certainly have learnt from your experiences/techniques....

Cheers Bill

What a nice comment....Thanks Bill

Edited by scoobyra

Having been away from my layout for over a year and not logging into the forums either its always nice when you do come back to find something new and exciting to look at and this is one of those times ..... 

Makes me totally jealous as I have made nowhere near the amount of fantastic progress in the last 4 years that you have made since starting this and you appear to be exceptionally good at this ( which is sickening really )  but I am really looking forward to more updates. 

Well Done.

:biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Gold

Having been away from my layout for over a year and not logging into the forums either its always nice when you do come back to find something new and exciting to look at and this is one of those times ..... 

Makes me totally jealous as I have made nowhere near the amount of fantastic progress in the last 4 years that you have made since starting this and you appear to be exceptionally good at this ( which is sickening really )  but I am really looking forward to more updates. 

Well Done.

:biggrin_mini2:

Not really sure I'm exceptionally good at buddy but thanks anyway!

• RMweb Gold

Note to self: When working on two boards that join each other, make sure they're joined together and not in different rooms..........it'll avoid the platform being the wrong height and the wrong colour. You'd have thought I'd have learnt my lesson from getting the ballast the wrong colour........obviously not!!

post-18825-0-80193900-1480014069.jpg

With that rectified, I set about redoing the tarmac sections that I messed up yesterday. They're not quite finished yet so I'll post an update for anyone that's interested when I get back from Warley.

To brighten my mood, I thought I'd take a picture of my bargain Olivia's Sound Voyager bought from a trader called Mr Creswell at the Worthing Show. I wouldn't normally mention names but the Voyager had a couple of niggly issues and he was quite happy to take a fair chip on the asking price, unlike a few other people who'd rather cut their nose of to spite their face. Top Man!

Anyway, the train now standing at Platform One is the 19:08 Cross Country Service to Radiator, calling at Radiator only! It's only got to travel 18 inches but I bet it'd still be late....and stink of s...! 

post-18825-0-84002100-1480013813_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Note to self: When working on two boards that join each other, make sure they're joined together and not in different rooms..........it'll avoid the platform being the wrong height and the wrong colour. You'd have thought I'd have learnt my lesson from getting the ballast the wrong colour........obviously not!!

attachicon.gifDown Platform Join.jpg

With that rectified, I set about redoing the tarmac sections that I messed up yesterday. They're not quite finished yet so I'll post an update for anyone that's interested when I get back from Warley.

To brighten my mood, I thought I'd take a picture of my bargain Olivia's Sound Voyager bought from a trader called Mr Creswell at the Worthing Show. I wouldn't normally mention names but the Voyager had a couple of niggly issues and he was quite happy to take a fair chip on the asking price, unlike a few other people who'd rather cut their nose of to spite their face. Top Man!

Anyway, the train now standing at Platform One is the 19:08 Cross Country Service to Radiator, calling at Radiator only! It's only got to travel 18 inches but I bet it'd still be late....and stink of s...! 

attachicon.gifXC Voyager.jpg

those platform tops with tarmac really do look the part mate great job.

platforms really do look the business mate! really taking some inspiration from them for my own i have to say! 

What do you use for the paving sheets, is this wills?

and Mr cress well is a top man and does stuff at great prices, have purchased from him several times. Had a couple of Bachmann HTA's at £19 - which is unbelievable nowa days, can't go wrong at that price...

• RMweb Gold

platforms really do look the business mate! really taking some inspiration from them for my own i have to say! 

What do you use for the paving sheets, is this wills?

and Mr cress well is a top man and does stuff at great prices, have purchased from him several times. Had a couple of Bachmann HTA's at £19 - which is unbelievable nowa days, can't go wrong at that price...

Thanks buddy.

The paving sheets are good old Slaters hacked around to fit the curves etc, the Wills ones were a bit too big for the look I wanted. Castle Cary has a really odd assortment of slabs in strange colours and laid in weird ways - it looked different to the normal 'regimental' paving and I figured it would be easier to model something less uniform as people wouldn't notice the mistakes.

I'm still playing around with the tarmac surfaces though because I'm not 100% happy with them. The darker colour in the picture above looks good on that section of the platform but on the larger sections it looks wrong. Obviously the colour can vary from one end to the other or in sections but I'd like to try and get it somewhere near believable.

Mike