Oak Road - 2013 to present (a fictitious place somewhere in Somerset) - Raising Money for Meningitis Research

The break disks do look good I have some in a box as I was planning on doing this also but its taking me all my time to work on my layout ......  after just over 12 months away from doing anything on it im back on the case as they say so should make some progress over the coming months ( but more likely years lol ) 

• RMweb Gold

The break disks do look good I have some in a box as I was planning on doing this also but its taking me all my time to work on my layout ......  after just over 12 months away from doing anything on it im back on the case as they say so should make some progress over the coming months ( but more likely years lol ) 

You'll have fun doing the brake discs Anthony......it takes ages..... I've one 12....I've still got another 36 coaches to do!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've actually just noticed that Hornby have very kindly supplied the coaches with loco hauled bogies and not HST ones.....however, all is not lost. It just means I'll need to get the file out.

Still, it could've been worse....they could've supplied the sleeper coaches with HST bogies....then I would've been in the poo cart!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well it's nearly Christmas and the next few days are going to give way to buying presents and getting ready for a couple of days of absolutely nothing except stuffing my face and getting drunk! Therefore, I'd like to wish the 60 followers of my thread (still not sure why 60 people would be interested in what I'm doing?) a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year........and thanks for giving me advice, criticism, help....or banter. It's gratefully appreciated. 

Cheers

Mike

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas Mike, you have an excellent layout developing there..........that's why you have 60 followers :sungum:

Thanks Adrian. Have a Great Christmas too!

Merry christmas to you Mike, Look forward to more fantastic modelling in 2017.

Graham.

Happy Christmas to you too Graham. Have a good one!

Merry Christmas and a Happy new year Mike, you have a cracking layout developing btw

Ben

Cheers Ben. Have a good one yourself!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Happy New Year Everyone!

I should've been working hard on the layout over the Christmas holiday but all I did was eat food, eat more food, eat everyone else's food and have lots to drink. I think the fact that I've got so many things on the go (My layout, Club Layout, My mate's layout, O Gauge HST Project, etc) that I just needed a bit of time to do absolutely nothing. This actually worked out quite well because I managed to get round to doing something else that's been bugging me for ages.....

.....some steps for the MK3s

post-18825-0-66304700-1483523409_thumb.jpg

They're not quite right as they're quite a unique shape and unless I got somebody to make some etches, there was nothing commercially available that looked anywhere near correct. They look a bit too low in this picture but that's just the angle of the camera - they're in exactly the right place and look pretty good from the side  :laugh:

I also managed to fit all of the detailing parts to one of my 37s (what a pig of a job that was) and add a coupling ring to allow the use of the snow ploughs.........Bachmann, please take note....you really shouldn't have the detailing parts as an after thought - the hoses (you've also forgotten one) get stuck behind the buffers and stop the bogies moving when the ploughs are fitted!

post-18825-0-10748200-1483523423_thumb.jpg

I also plucked up the courage to attack my FGW Power Cars too and make them look less like toys.....

post-18825-0-03683000-1483523429_thumb.jpg

...with the end result meaning I had something that actually looked like it should do...

post-18825-0-69558300-1483523416_thumb.jpg

Right, I'd better pull my finger out and get cracking on the layout!

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Power car looks fab  :sungum:  what techniques did you use?

Hi Adrian

I'm not sure I know how to describe what I did because I've pinched just about everyone's tips that I possibly could.

To start with, I painted the running gear with frame dirt and then sprayed it with matt cote. I then used a 50/50 mix of matt cote / enamel thinners (as per the Humbol YouTube video) with some light brown powder and let that dry too. The final touch was to add more powder directly to the underframe and finish off with a light spray of matt cote.

The roof was done in a similar fashion whereby I painted it matt black and then dry brushed some roof dirt on to it. When that was dry, I added a dry mix of black / dark brown powder sealed off with more matt spray. The cab roof was just dry powder sealed with the matt cote again.

It's far from perfect and there's still more I need to do but I'm happy with it as a starting point. 

Probably not the best explanation but this is one area that I really don't know what I'm doing!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just read this through and love your self deprecating approach to modelling. Take heart as doing things just twice means you have learnt loads. I have one bit of layout that must have taken 6 or 7 attempts.

One question I either missed or its not in the text. Is the plan to build this full circle with fiddle yards in the rear or will it be a yard at either end?

Fareham is not the longest journey so may have to make a trip in October to see this.

• RMweb Gold

Just read this through and love your self deprecating approach to modelling. Take heart as doing things just twice means you have learnt loads. I have one bit of layout that must have taken 6 or 7 attempts.

One question I either missed or its not in the text. Is the plan to build this full circle with fiddle yards in the rear or will it be a yard at either end?

Fareham is not the longest journey so may have to make a trip in October to see this.

Hi Steve

It's going to be roundy roundy but the fiddle yard will sort of run as an end to end system due to the fact that most of the trains are HSTs and Units.

I'll try and put a plan up shortly.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

looking good so far, although the Hornby mk 3 bogies arnt the best part of their model, not too sure either about their odd flush glazing, which partially is the reason they look so toy like, so when will we see the GWR HST?

NL

Totally agree with you there Nick, and why they had to make it (the glazing) so bloody dark I'll never know! I've started to file off the little pips at the bottom of the bogie so that it looks like an HST one and not a Loco hauled effort. You'd have thought that they could've also provided a bag of detailing bits for the jumpers, hoses and steps..........no, hang on, that's far too sensible!

As for the Green HST.....it's on it's way but I think they've messed up the yellow panel form the image they put out yesterday. 

Edited by scoobyra