Jump to content

Coiled RJ45 lead?


Recommended Posts

Two years on, I am resurrecting this again. I too would really like one or three for my Prodigy. The Farnell one is showing as no longer manufactured. There are a few from the US on eBay, but is anyone aware of a UK supplier?

 

 

I'd like one as well.

DCC Supplies do sell them but they are not in stock at the moment.

It's listed as "Curly cable Gaugemaster/MRC Prodigy 1.5m (8 wire)" - Product No. 102091. They also do a 3m version but again not in stock.

I've clicked the "Email when back in stock" button in hope.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like one as well.

DCC Supplies do sell them but they are not in stock at the moment.

It's listed as "Curly cable Gaugemaster/MRC Prodigy 1.5m (8 wire)" - Product No. 102091. They also do a 3m version but again not in stock.

I've clicked the "Email when back in stock" button in hope.

I did ring Gaugemaster yesterday. I was told they were not available in this Country. Walthers don't list them either and MRC only show uncoiled ones on their website.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Farnell one is showing as no longer manufactured. There are a few from the US on eBay, but is anyone aware of a UK supplier?

 

You will find there a number in stock at Farnell if you bother to follow the link for the whole category "telephone cables" on the page for the out of stock item.

 

It's better to teach a man to find his own link to a cable than to give him the link :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like one as well.

DCC Supplies do sell them but they are not in stock at the moment.

It's listed as "Curly cable Gaugemaster/MRC Prodigy 1.5m (8 wire)" - Product No. 102091. They also do a 3m version but again not in stock.

I've clicked the "Email when back in stock" button in hope.

Just had a look and it said there were three 3m ones in stock. But not any more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have the relevant crimping tool and sources of RJ45 plugs if I had a source of coiled CAT5 cable looks like something feasible.

 

If coiled cable acts like many of those attached to phones with RJ11 connection they get twisted and have some ridiculous nots in them.

 

I think I'd probably prefer to have cable plugged in the base unit extending to afixed location where you can plug in the handset with a short cable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...

Hello all, sorry this is quite a few years over due, however, i too have the annoying long cable from Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2 to the Handset, having Googled it to death, i found a super cheap UK supplier of RJ45 Double Ended Curly Cords, the gentleman at BCE products was very helpful trying to establish what cord i needed as they sell 3 different options of pin outlets

 

Today Monday 7th September, such cord arrived, But.......when plugged into the controller got the error meassage SVDA or what ever it is

 I called Gaugemaster and spoke to a Teckky, who emailed me the following:

 

Thank you for the call earlier today, with regards to the pins on the DCC02, It uses all 8 but is wired in a mirrored 4 way wire system. Which means that if you by a 1-4 pin of a 5-8 pin cable the controller will still work. The thought here is that the curly cord, although a space saving idea, is not the best cable to use as when you extend the cable you will put strain on the plugs or even pull the base unit along from where it is situated as it is not very heavy.

 

To me this email doesn't really mean anything as i don't quite get the technical part of the connections on the RJ45 cable

I forwarded this to the guy at BCE Direct and i am awaiting his answer, hopefully he understands the connectivity and can advise of the correct cable,

Here is the link to the 3 Curly Cord Options:

https://www.bcedirect.co.uk/search?q=RJ45+Curly+cord

 

If anyone is technical and knows which pin option would work, can you kindly let us all know

Regards

Neil

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I see it, it depends on which cable you have of the 3.

 

IIRC, its pins 1=8, 2=7, 3=6, 4=5 from belling out their extension plate so only the 1234 combination of this one is likely to work. If the above pin mapping is correct then with the other two, your only connecting two of the four pins.

Edited by BokStein
Connection nomenclature clarified
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/09/2020 at 01:04, Neil0202 said:

Hello all, sorry this is quite a few years over due, however, i too have the annoying long cable from Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2 to the Handset, having Googled it to death, i found a super cheap UK supplier of RJ45 Double Ended Curly Cords, the gentleman at BCE products was very helpful trying to establish what cord i needed as they sell 3 different options of pin outlets

 

Today Monday 7th September, such cord arrived, But.......when plugged into the controller got the error meassage SVDA or what ever it is

 I called Gaugemaster and spoke to a Teckky, who emailed me the following:

 

Thank you for the call earlier today, with regards to the pins on the DCC02, It uses all 8 but is wired in a mirrored 4 way wire system. Which means that if you by a 1-4 pin of a 5-8 pin cable the controller will still work. The thought here is that the curly cord, although a space saving idea, is not the best cable to use as when you extend the cable you will put strain on the plugs or even pull the base unit along from where it is situated as it is not very heavy.

 

To me this email doesn't really mean anything as i don't quite get the technical part of the connections on the RJ45 cable

I forwarded this to the guy at BCE Direct and i am awaiting his answer, hopefully he understands the connectivity and can advise of the correct cable,

Here is the link to the 3 Curly Cord Options:

https://www.bcedirect.co.uk/search?q=RJ45+Curly+cord

 

If anyone is technical and knows which pin option would work, can you kindly let us all know

Regards

Neil

 

 

You could buy yourself a tester and see what the existing connections actually are, rather than just guessing. Then you can order or make the same ones. I'd buy, as best off factory made.

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-Ethernet-Broadband-Connection-Capability/dp/B06XT1Z7CH/ref=pd_day0_23_1/261-6694731-8679663?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06XT1Z7CH&pd_rd_r=794ef19e-e408-47b4-b503-feb2d15cb177&pd_rd_w=9hAwF&pd_rd_wg=69hrF&pf_rd_p=7a03931e-321d-47c9-b06d-7182e9d48016&pf_rd_r=FJR4KRD5YJJZHPA9NJJD&psc=1&refRID=FJR4KRD5YJJZHPA9NJJD

 

Edit to add

 

Strictly speaking these cables are NOT RJ45, since such cables are 8 wires and 8 pins. 4 wire cables are intended for phones.

Edited by kevinlms
More info
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Edit to add

 

Strictly speaking these cables are NOT RJ45, since such cables are 8 wires and 8 pins. 4 wire cables are intended for phones.

 

RJ45 merely defines the type of connector used; what the cable is between them and how its configured is down to its intended use. 4, 6 and 8 pin (not all the 8 contact positions are populated) variants of RJ45 connectors exist!

 

To refer to an ethernet cable as either Cat5, Cat6 or RJ45 is akin to referring to a Dyson (other makes are available) vacuum cleaner as a Hoover.

 

Strictly:

 

RJ45          Cat5 / 6          RJ45

  1--------------------------------1

  2--------------------------------2

  3--------------------------------6

  4--------------------------------4

  5--------------------------------5

  6--------------------------------3

  7--------------------------------7

  8--------------------------------8

 

= ethernet

Edited by BokStein
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, BokStein said:

 

RJ45 merely defines the type of connector used; what the cable is between them and how its configured is down to its intended use. 4, 6 and 8 pin (not all the 8 contact positions are populated) variants of RJ45 connectors exist!

 

To refer to an ethernet cable as either Cat5, Cat6 or RJ45 is akin to referring to a Dyson (other makes are available) vacuum cleaner as a Hoover.

 

Strictly:

 

RJ45          Cat5 / 6          RJ45

  1--------------------------------1

  2--------------------------------2

  3--------------------------------6

  4--------------------------------4

  5--------------------------------5

  6--------------------------------3

  7--------------------------------7

  8--------------------------------8

 

= ethernet

Except what you have drawn is a crossover cable, which for computer network purposes, is virtually extinct. Nearly all equipment auto detects polarity these days, so straight through cabling is standard.

 

https://www.canford.co.uk/TechZone/Article/RJ45ConnectorWiring

I should point out for clarity, that while the UK & USA use the 568B standard, much of the rest of the world including Australia, uses the 568A standard.

Very confusing when an American business, flies in their cablers and wires up to their standards in OUR country. Been caught out by that - it's no fun scratching your head trying to work out why it doesn't test right!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Except what you have drawn is a crossover cable, which for computer network purposes, is virtually extinct. Nearly all equipment auto detects polarity these days, so straight through cabling is standard.

 

Are you sure?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

suggests that in a crossed cable, orange and green pairs are swapped to give:

RJ45          Cat5 / 6          RJ45

  1--------------------------------3

  2--------------------------------6

  3--------------------------------1

  4--------------------------------4

  5--------------------------------5

  6--------------------------------2

  7--------------------------------7

  8--------------------------------8

 

However, we digress.

 

The curly lead for the Prodigy requires:

RJ45          Cable             RJ45

  1--------------------------------1 or 8

  2--------------------------------2 or 7

  3--------------------------------3 or 6

  4--------------------------------4 or 5

  5--------------------------------5 or 4

  6--------------------------------6 or 3

  7--------------------------------7  or 2

  8--------------------------------8 or 1

Edited by BokStein
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BokStein said:

 

Are you sure?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

suggests that in a crossed cable, orange and green pairs are swapped to give:

RJ45          Cat5 / 6          RJ45

  1--------------------------------3

  2--------------------------------6

  3--------------------------------1

  4--------------------------------4

  5--------------------------------5

  6--------------------------------2

  7--------------------------------7

  8--------------------------------8

 

However, we digress.

 

The curly lead for the Prodigy requires:

RJ45          Cable             RJ45

  1--------------------------------1 or 8

  2--------------------------------2 or 7

  3--------------------------------3 or 6

  4--------------------------------4 or 5

  5--------------------------------5 or 4

  6--------------------------------6 or 3

  7--------------------------------7  or 2

  8--------------------------------8 or 1

Well, we ARE talking entirely at crossed (sorry for the pun) purposes, as the link Neil0202 provided for BCE, in all 3 configurations, shows only 4 conductors in the curly cords. So none of them will make an 8 way connector.

 

Also the correct terminology for these types of connector aren't 'RJ45', but 8P8C, where means 'P' equals number of Pins and 'C' means the number of Conductors. So you can commonly find 8P2C, 8P4C and 8P8C varieties, and all legitimate and can be purchased off the shelf. The first 2 are generally for phones & phone systems, the second 2 for data.

 

From what you have said, any standard 568A patch cable will work fine, a 568B will also be fine, as long as both ends are the same (i.e. not a crossover).

While in theory, you can wire up a cable how you wish, as long as you keep the pairs right. It is of course much better to conform to a standard, so you can repeat and exchange at will/need.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.