Whilst cleaning the rail heads in readiness for Rainhill Show, I inadvertently managed to damage the Starter signal; being a Ratio kit some Mek Pak was all that was required along with an unobtrusive sliver of plasticard to strengthen the join. This signal is in line for replacement as it should also have a "shunt ahead" miniature arm for shunting moves, so an etched replacement may appear in due course.

20190228_132436.jpg.d6e999950375fe7d1c889b0a0c958355.jpg

The piece of paper is to ensure the operating wire does not stick to the post.

A mooring line had also come loose from the fishing vessel "Lucky XI" in the lock, giving the crew cause for concern so this was reafixed with a drop of PVA.

20190228_133931.jpg.41a685ca8c211c1eed75edec4478ef3f.jpg

And a photo of the very simple wooden folding sector plate fiddle yard extension which adds about 18" of length without taking any extra transit space as it folds into itself; due to the pivot point being a few inches in from the end it is self supporting. Phosphor bronze strips make contact with copperclad sleeper strip to avoid wiring.

20190228_132632.jpg.fc30e973ba58918f9d6c6d1571b6dbf1.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

14 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Ingenious mod to the FY, I like it a lot. I did notice you were a bit cramped in the FY department last time I saw you.

Paul.

Thanks Paul, this incarnation of the fiddle had been on for a while now, its a bit "chicken and egg"; if you extend the platform length you then need to extend the fiddle yard! The folding part could be replaced with an even longer version fairly easily, but platform lengths are now at the longest possible without major rebuilding or extending, which I don't wish to do. I like to have a good variety of stock to provide variety so usually 6 or even 7 of the fiddle roads are occupied, but then what is a fiddle yard for, if not to be crammed full?!:mocking_mini:

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 2

Home again after a very enjoyable weekend enjoying the hospitality of Rainhill MRC and chatting with folk in between playing trains; thanks to all who stopped by.

Today saw the Crinan Distillery Open Day organise a "Brake Van Shuttle" between Station and Distillery using a mix of their own motive power viz the Class 05, Sentinel and Fowler diesels plus a Peckett 0-4-0T (Mike's new purchase!), in various "Top & Tail" combinations and running from the Fish Dock to avoid disruption on the "main line"; the one freight with wagons for the Distillery had to be shunted into the goods sidings to await forwarding in the evening.

20190303_093728.jpg.a8d1f5ab31688e69198808505a4b1482.jpg20190303_093815.jpg.6458a8ffa5ddb80c800165c32d8192ac.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Martyn,

My mate and I managed to have a couple of chats with you and your mate today (I'm Mike who worked at St. Rollox & Derby Loco works then moved to Toton). As mentioned I always enjoy watching Crinan at the various shows I've seen it at, the layout is full of interest and the operation keeps the viewer wanting to see more. It was quite uncanny that the loco's featured just happened to be classes I worked on at St. Rollox: 08, 20, 24, 25, 26*, 27 and the dreaded 29! (*not sure if I actually saw a 26 on Crinan but no matter). Keep up the good work and the appearances at the shows as my chat with you has stirred me to consider reviving my Bermuda Road layout - time will tell!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, 67A said:

Hi Martyn,

My mate and I managed to have a couple of chats with you and your mate today (I'm Mike who worked at St. Rollox & Derby Loco works then moved to Toton). As mentioned I always enjoy watching Crinan at the various shows I've seen it at, the layout is full of interest and the operation keeps the viewer wanting to see more. It was quite uncanny that the loco's featured just happened to be classes I worked on at St. Rollox: 08, 20, 24, 25, 26*, 27 and the dreaded 29! (*not sure if I actually saw a 26 on Crinan but no matter). Keep up the good work and the appearances at the shows as my chat with you has stirred me to consider reviving my Bermuda Road layout - time will tell!

Thanks Mike for your kind comments, it was great chatting to you, particularly as you were at St. Rollox in the time frame that Crinan is set. I don't think either my 26 or 17 turned a wheel yesterday to be honest! 

Your aptly named Bermuda Road sounds a most intriguing layout, I would be most interested to see it so let's hope the inspiration continues!

Regards,

Martyn.

• Thanks 1

One small job has been to relocate one of the Kadee uncoupling magnets; since Platform one was extended by 6" or so when the canal lock extension was added, four Mk.1 coaches and a loco can now be accommodated. Three plus a BG was no problem but if using four full length vehicles, when the loco uncoupled at the far end, this end was over the magnet making coupling impossible.

As these magnets are designed to sit on the sleepers of code 100 track, sleepers on code 75 track need cutting away between the rail chairs, and the magnet fixed to a thinner spacer (a piece of balsa in this case). The sleepers were cut through with a Stanley knife and removed along with the ballast to leave a clear slot (after vacuuming) and the magnet, having been prised from it's original location with a screwdriver, fixed into place. The pieces of removed sleepers were then glued into place with UHU to fill the gap at the old position and a little ballast applied. Dilute PVA had just been applied in the photo, showing where the magnet had been originally.

20190305_215226.jpg.7e158f8eca80492c4c711126523a9989.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

3 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Nice neat job that, if it weren't for the wet PVA you'd be hard pressed to know that anything had changed.

Al.

Thanks Al, once fully dry a little more weathering should hide all traces; being an area where locos frequently stand I'm thinking a little oil staining won't go amiss.

Istr at one time some terminus station platforms had what looked like fabric sheets laid in the four foot, presumably to catch oil, anyone else remember seeing these?

Edited by Signaller69
Slight text alteration.
  • Agree 1

On 07/03/2019 at 12:32, Signaller69 said:

Thanks Al, once fully dry a little more weathering should hide all traces; being an area where locos frequently stand I'm thinking a little oil staining won't go amiss.

Istr at one time some terminus station platforms had what looked like fabric sheets laid in the four foot, presumably to catch oil, anyone else remember seeing these?

I remember these at Carlisle in the two north bays, IIRC sleeping cars were berthed there and the sheeting was to allow the use of the toilets while stationary so they would catch the general effluent!  Now there is a modelling challenge!

Jim

• Funny 2

• 2 months later...

Been a while since much happened with Crinan, but there is a little work going on. Having used 2mm rod Neodymium magnets on my new project "Dunnington DVR" I am going to install them on Crinan too, in place of the big, highly visible Kadee magnets. First job therefore was to remove the Kadee ones and infill the gap left with cut sleepers and ballast, much as shown a post or two back.

20190507_214541.jpg.29955f8c208d6ad31c60bd19b0b23030.jpg20190507_213647.jpg.5b5a027fb88ff8ed1edff7a7de35d9c5.jpg

Once the ballast has dried and the excess tidied, 2mm holes will be drilled where required and the new magnets fitted, much as shown below on Dunnington:

20190503_160414.jpg.c1aa5c050f491684fd473c0291078deb.jpg20190503_160318.jpg.ca7fdaf2d8e8ce0f1af5be9adf9113ee.jpg

This will be followed by a little paint to blend everything in. I have about 8 or 9 such magnet swaps to do on Crinan, but I think the visual effect of losing the chunky uncouplers will be worth the trouble.

Thanks for looking,

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
Link to "Dunnington DVR": https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/143582-dunnington-dvr-track-laying-in-progress/page/3/
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 08/03/2019 at 12:39, luckymucklebackit said:

I remember these at Carlisle in the two north bays, IIRC sleeping cars were berthed there and the sheeting was to allow the use of the toilets while stationary so they would catch the general effluent!  Now there is a modelling challenge!

Jim

They had them at Paddington too until fairly recently to collect the "bangers and mash"

• Funny 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Coming home from church last Sunday I saw this.  I thought you might like it. 

525519194_190714Macbraynes.JPG.84f5a2588491d7fa4158513b8b90f353.JPG

Paul. 

Edited by 5BarVT
Photo reload.
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Oh, forgot to show you this, the puffers fuel store:

Img_0174.jpg.db07c1680f0d789c385197b2eb87f38d.jpg

It did make me wonder where that lot had come from... China maybe? :)

Al.

Hmmm, could be, or maybe Welsh Steam Coal? Or Germany perhaps. Or there again, Ayrshire?

Edited by Signaller69
Slight text alteration.
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

With the outing to Darlington show fast approaching, jobs are continuing. A Wills Crane has been added to the quayside, something I felt was lacking. The old Peco loading gauge has been replaced by a much finer Ratio kit built one; whether it survives quite as well remains to be seen.

Hidden white paint marks have been added to rails so that the Operators can see where the new uncoupling magnets are; touching up of the back-filled (former magnet) areas remains to be done, but I think the area looks much better without the bulky Kadee magnets.

20190731_125559.jpg.61800e7bcfd3207a87c093a788a74433.jpg20190731_130243.jpg.74e9411484da624fb7adf0b45983c92e.jpg20190731_130919.jpg.2c3f4832330f7b7046e25ecdf3dc8776.jpg

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/10/2018 at 15:42, Signaller69 said:

I have been thinking that MacBraynes should really have a ticket office near the Station and the Ferry pier, so I have made a small depot building based on that down the road at Ardrishaig:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Macbrayne_bus_Ardrishaig.jpg

post-28743-0-37874500-1538403913_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-94253700-1538403995_thumb.jpg

It is a fairly traditional construction of a card shell, overlaid with Slaters Plastikard stone walling, and Wills corrugated roofing and windows. Signs were made on the computer, printed onto paper and then stuck to thin card backing using a Pritt Stick. I am still thinking about where it will go as the choices are quite limited; probably by the Lighthouse where the Bus Turn-around is, as I'm not too keen on the current arrangement; although this probably won't happen until after Wigan Show.

Thanks for looking.

Hi. Lovely building there. But in the context of the layout,being set in the 70's MacBraynes Ceased to exist as a result of the 1968 transport act. The exception being the road haulage operation which continued as a standalone company until the late 80's when it became Kildonan MacBrayne under Billy Walker's ownership. Part of the mass disposal of state owned assets by the Thatcher  government.MacBraynes shipping became part of Caledonian-MacBraynes and the buses went to Highland except for the Campbeltown service which went to western SMT All the MacBraynes buses went to Highland. Western using Black and white Y type bodied Leyland Leopards.  Regarding 'puffers' apart from the two preserved ships there were no steam lighters (Puffers) still sailing in the seventies. The 'Eilean Eisdale' A former steam VIC but converted to diesel was still trading. She is now preserved as 'The vital spark of Glasgow' and usually based at Inverary. But rest assured the 66' puffer sailed right out to the outer hebrides and the Irish Coast By the 70's only the Hays four Kaffir, Anzac, Lascar and Spartan plus the Lady Isles and Lady Morven, (And of course Eilean Eisdale) all converted to motor ships and all by then owned by Glenlight, were still trading in general trade. (Spartan is now preserved at the Scottish Maritime Museum in Irvine) I hope this is of assistance. It would be nice to see 'Crinan' at the SEC some time!