The mast has been shortened and a better representation of the shorter boom and support pivot made with the help of some of the bits which arrived yesterday. Rigging needs to be added between the various pulleys once painted (the brass pulleys on the boom are particularly tiny). 

20200505_150727.jpg.cae4f2e8d84d732244234a0e28a16372.jpg20200505_150803.jpg.cf9993349be383bbbc8b4aee8358f6e5.jpg

20200505_152804.jpg.593cb3196eb601e9891430aabf537e58.jpg

A superb new image of Auld Reekie from 1975 has come to light on their Facebook page:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2928088713976216&id=743677685750674

Which is very helpful in showing the correct colours for that time, along with the additional safety fencing, boat stowage etc. It means I will have to get the paints out again too! 

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 15:34, Signaller69 said:

The mast has been shortened and a better representation of the shorter boom and support pivot made with the help of some of the bits which arrived yesterday. Rigging needs to be added between the various pulleys once painted (the brass pulleys on the boom are particularly tiny). 

20200505_150727.jpg.cae4f2e8d84d732244234a0e28a16372.jpg20200505_150803.jpg.cf9993349be383bbbc8b4aee8358f6e5.jpg

20200505_152804.jpg.593cb3196eb601e9891430aabf537e58.jpg

A superb new image of Auld Reekie from 1975 has come to light on their Facebook page:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2928088713976216&id=743677685750674

Which is very helpful in showing the correct colours for that time, along with the additional safety fencing, boat stowage etc. It means I will have to get the paints out again too! 

Nice work here again..:good:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very slow progress on "Auld Reekie" in between other projects. A few more details added along with name transfers knocked up on the PC. The makeshift safety fence along the hull was soldered up in situ.

20200601_180156.jpg.f6bb726ac0523bed6edc0b94554b70f9.jpg20200601_180209.jpg.6c0f8644a2e34b557e8326604865a472.jpg20200601_180711.jpg.2e8e35516e334c083d44dfe6fbe93e7f.jpg

I would imagine the small boats atop the hold were held in place by some form of wooden blocks or cradle but photos are inconclusive. They are still loose currently.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold

I don't want to be rude, but are the name transfers temporary, or awaiting some decal softener? I say this with massive respect, because everything else is to really high quality and I feel the name transfers let it down.

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

I don't want to be rude, but are the name transfers temporary, or awaiting some decal softener? I say this with massive respect, because everything else is to really high quality and I feel the name transfers let it down.

Thanks for your comment, they were intended to be permanent. I sealed the transfers with matt varnish which caused some cracking issues when they were wettened and applied, particularly on the stern. I should have used gloss varnish followed by over coating with matt once dry so I might give them another go to see if they can be improved. I find black printer ink on white decal film particularly troublesome to seal effectively.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

No point in spoiling the ship for a ha’pennorth o’ gloss varnish...

Fair does to you, though. Printing decals is something I have so far managed to avoid having to do!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Regularity said:

No point in spoiling the ship for a ha’pennorth o’ gloss varnish...

Fair does to you, though. Printing decals is something I have so far managed to avoid having to do!

I don't usually have any problem with them, but black on white I have always found rather a trial by fire. The issue seems to be that once sealed and cut out, when wettened, black leaches from the cut edges leaving a white border around the edge. In itself this isn't a particular issue as it can be touched up with black paint, but it means a reasonable border has to be left around the lettering, making the decal larger than it really needs to be. But in this instance a reaction occurred after leaving the decals for several days causing the aforementioned cracking of the surface; I can only put it down to the varnish as I usually use gloss acrylic sprayed on, but used a matt spray this time (which worked fine on other coloured decals on the same sheet). Any solvent/softener is a no-no on home made ink-jet decals I'm afraid.

I always save the decals in my documents, so it's just a matter of hitting print again, I'm happy with the font and size. I can't promise any major improvement but will see if I can obtain a better finish. Failing that, some weathering will be employed!

Martyn.

No further on with "Auld Reekie" due to other projects etc.

I did find a nice 1972 Scottish information film on YouTube, of the Kyle line. Different area to Crinan of course, but something of a similar era and the usual spectacular scenery, and quite a bit of Sulzer action to boot, with pre tops class 24 and 26 action, for those interested in such things...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

pre tops class 24 and 26 action

Including an apparent change from one to the other whilst the train was en route - despite possessing the single line token!

• Funny 2

7 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Including an apparent change from one to the other whilst the train was en route - despite possessing the single line token!

Yes the continuity isn't the best, nice to get the variety though! Enjoyable film I thought and at least the sounds are authentic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hi,

the video brought back many happy memories of weekend trips my brother and I di to Kyle in the early to mid 70's!

Iirc the itinery went like this:

Friday

16.05 train Goxhill - New Holland

16.20 Ferry New Holland - Hull

17.20 Hull - York

18.50 York Edinburgh

23.10 Edinburgh - Inverness

Saturday

arr Inverness between 04.15 and 04.45  The later the better, got more sleep on the train!

06.10 Inverness - Dingwall

07.05 Dingwall - Kyle

arr Kyle 09.30ish for breakfast

11.00 Kyle - Inverness

arr Inverness 14.00ish for lunch

16-20 Inverness - Edinburgh

22.20 Edinburgh - Kings Cross (as far as Doncaster)

Sunday

04.40 Doncaster - Hull (newspaper)

arr Hull around 05-30

08.00 ferry Hull - New Holland

08.20 walk 3 miles home! (unless we could persuade our dad to collect us!)

The times are fairly accurate, but relying on memory as we never thought to keep a note.  We had one memorable journey in November, in the frost and cold, when the train from Inverness to Edinburgh was in the hands of a cl40, 10 on and no heating and no replacement loco!  My brother and I were sat in the last carriage, well wrapped up against the cold. Just before the off the guard came down and suggested we move down nto the front 3 coaches were the rest of the passengers were, but we declined as we were warm enough, so he aid "fair enough" and left, returning half an hour later with free coffee for us!  We had free coffee and soup all the way to Edinburgh!  We stopped our little jaunts when the price of a Weekend Return (remember those?) from Hull to Kyle went up to £17.40 which was beyond our pockets!

Happy days!

Roja

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

the video brought back many happy memories of weekend trips my brother and I di to Kyle in the early to mid 70's!

Iirc the itinery went like this:

Friday

16.05 train Goxhill - New Holland

16.20 Ferry New Holland - Hull

17.20 Hull - York

18.50 York Edinburgh

23.10 Edinburgh - Inverness

Saturday

arr Inverness between 04.15 and 04.45  The later the better, got more sleep on the train!

06.10 Inverness - Dingwall

07.05 Dingwall - Kyle

arr Kyle 09.30ish for breakfast

11.00 Kyle - Inverness

arr Inverness 14.00ish for lunch

16-20 Inverness - Edinburgh

22.20 Edinburgh - Kings Cross (as far as Doncaster)

Sunday

04.40 Doncaster - Hull (newspaper)

arr Hull around 05-30

08.00 ferry Hull - New Holland

08.20 walk 3 miles home! (unless we could persuade our dad to collect us!)

The times are fairly accurate, but relying on memory as we never thought to keep a note.  We had one memorable journey in November, in the frost and cold, when the train from Inverness to Edinburgh was in the hands of a cl40, 10 on and no heating and no replacement loco!  My brother and I were sat in the last carriage, well wrapped up against the cold. Just before the off the guard came down and suggested we move down nto the front 3 coaches were the rest of the passengers were, but we declined as we were warm enough, so he aid "fair enough" and left, returning half an hour later with free coffee for us!  We had free coffee and soup all the way to Edinburgh!  We stopped our little jaunts when the price of a Weekend Return (remember those?) from Hull to Kyle went up to £17.40 which was beyond our pockets!

Happy days!

Roja

Happy days indeed Roja!

My first trip to the Highlands was as a 13 yr old with my Dad in 1983. Left Prestatyn around 22.00 to Crewe, overnight train to Inverness (81009 iirc, with a 47 from Mossend), think it was a late morning train to Kyle (26032 up front), ferry then bus to Armadale on Skye, for a night at the Ardvassar Hotel. Next day, armed with a packed lunch from the hotel, we walked to catch the ferry over to Mallaig where 37114 in the early version of Large logo livery (still with small numbers and arrows) took us to Fort William, then 37175 to Glasgow Q.S. followed by a quick walk over to Central for the train back to Crewe and the last train of the day back to Prestatyn. Not sure what it cost Dad, but due to the family Railcard my ticket was £1, which I thought good value!

Martyn.

• Agree 1

I'm loving reading these tales as I never got to do it. Dad always said it was to far. He's never really been that adventurous. I didn't get there until a camping trip in 1997 having a sabbatical from my interest in railways at the time.

Martin I believe that it was 37 112 that took you to FW. 37 027, 111 and 112 were painted in this style in 1981 but only 112 was left this way in 1983. I have my own version which will be a regular performer on my layout once completed. I think 37 114 had moved on to Inverness by 83. 

Andy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mallaig1983 said:

I'm loving reading these tales as I never got to do it. Dad always said it was to far. He's never really been that adventurous. I didn't get there until a camping trip in 1997 having a sabbatical from my interest in railways at the time.

Martin I believe that it was 37 112 that took you to FW. 37 027, 111 and 112 were painted in this style in 1981 but only 112 was left this way in 1983. I have my own version which will be a regular performer on my layout once completed. I think 37 114 had moved on to Inverness by 83. 

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info, just checked my old 110 film photos, you are absolutely correct. Not sure where I got 114 from, effects of time probably, it was about 37 years ago after all.

20200611_153410.jpg.86411d811166ea4958c68f19915a89f2.jpg20200611_153830.jpg.e2ecda118322d7b65ae87bece4e2009e.jpg

Istr it was around September or October 83.

Saying that I think 37175 was on a trip the following year rather than that occasion too.

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

Thank you for posting those photos. I haven't found any of 112 at Mallaig so you have unwittingly made my day! Fantastic.

I have only just discovered this thread and started reading from the start. Wow your layout is very impressive. I shall be following from here on in. If my layout of Mallaig turns out half as good I'll be happy. Great inspiration. 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, mallaig1983 said:

Hi Martin,

Thank you for posting those photos. I haven't found any of 112 at Mallaig so you have unwittingly made my day! Fantastic.

I have only just discovered this thread and started reading from the start. Wow your layout is very impressive. I shall be following from here on in. If my layout of Mallaig turns out half as good I'll be happy. Great inspiration. 

Andy

Hi Andy, no problem, glad the photos are of interest. 

Thanks for your kind words about Crinan, they are much appreciated. I can't work on the layout currently as it lives at my local Club, hence doing other projects which will see use on the layout. 

Mallaig is a great layout subject, I helped my Dad with his 'O' scale version set in the 80s, which he built in the 90s, sadly long dismantled. You may have seen it but there is a useful thread on the subject:

Regards,

Martyn.

• 5 months later...

It is some months since I last did an update; the Clyde "Puffer" remains to be completed and I am currently still unable to access the layout, which lives at our local Club. 

But I am still working on rolling stock and have been fortunate to purchase a few more locos through the year which will be available for Crinan:

20201124_155845.jpg.803cfe71ca29bc50bd26fc48833ec45a.jpg20200703_141954.jpg.fb479182bf80af9b85080e1237e705f9.jpg

The 26/1 would be a rare sight on the West Highland, but they did make the occasional visit. The 27 in Economy Green is one of the non-boiler freight locos, which would no doubt also double as a passenger loco in the summer season if required......

Both are Heljan and await weathering.

20201113_233148.jpg.ce7c76e40a192063bfc12b5837d5d36c.jpg

D5188 is a detailed Hornby class 25, also in economy (unlined) green, with much work having been done on the underframe and cab ends, along with revised exhaust position and a Shawplan etched roof fan grille plus some weathering. Extra pickups have been fitted, but it is perhaps a candidate for remotoring at some point.

20201126_010826.jpg.edbc4b9b1bcb32d01384c3807ab55cca.jpg

Shown earlier on in the year, my modified Hornby green class 29 had the cab front further rebuilt to portray the unique disc headcode specimen D6123. Seen here with my scratchbuilt Plasser Duomatic Tamper, which uses a Bachmann 4w maintainence vehicle chassis.

The layout in progress, on which the locos are shown, is a lockdown micro test track stabling point for home use, for which I have started a thread:

I am looking forward to being able to work on Crinan again at some point, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Stay safe.

Martyn.

20201126_011517.jpg

Edited by Signaller69
Add new layout thread.
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• Signaller69 changed the title to Crinan
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin,

Always a pleasure to view Crinan.

I like your choices on the additions to the fleet all of which I worked on in my time at Glasgow Works, the less said about the Cl.29 the better, all I will say is they were a nightmare to work on, the panels surrounding the drivers controls must have had at least 50 probably more self tappers securing them and of course you never got the original panel to refit so all the holes in the framing had to be re-drilled and ended up looking like a cullender! 

Keep up the good work and stay safe.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, 67A said:

Hi Martin,

Always a pleasure to view Crinan.

I like your choices on the additions to the fleet all of which I worked on in my time at Glasgow Works, the less said about the Cl.29 the better, all I will say is they were a nightmare to work on, the panels surrounding the drivers controls must have had at least 50 probably more self tappers securing them and of course you never got the original panel to refit so all the holes in the framing had to be re-drilled and ended up looking like a cullender! 

Keep up the good work and stay safe.

Hi Mike, many thanks, I wanted to respond with the "Thanks", "Useful/informative " and "funny" emojis! 

I had read the NBL's had many "assembly quirks" (such as chassis cross member variations made some suitable for re-engining and others not) and I think your comment regarding the control panels confirms it, perhaps corners were cut in drilling holes to a set standard ("just drill some holes and get it fitted, sharpish!")?

Hope you are keeping well, stay safe.

Martyn.

• 2 weeks later...