Got around to adding point rodding on the swing bridge, this being the means of operating the signals on the other side remote from the Signal Box, as per the top photo in this Flickr link (and as mentioned a few posts back): https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3932/15489544366_4cfbac5f66_b.jpg

post-28743-0-16377800-1473716420.jpgpost-28743-0-94704100-1473716461.jpgpost-28743-0-09041900-1473716440.jpg

The canal side footpath foot level crossing will now need a step over the rodding to be made (and hence why the foot boards are removed in the second photo), a piece of Plastruct channel should do the job.

I was a little concerned over clearance from passing trains due to the curvature at either end of the bridge but all seems well thankfully.

Martyn.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

You're some man! I thought I was being very picky when I mentioned the rodding. Those are absolutely brilliant.

Looking at the photos of Banavie got me thinking about the bridge bolt: with the clamp lock driven version it's easy to do the far side as the cabling just goes under the canal. What I don't know is what was done in mechanical days to drive the bolt on the far side of the bridge. Any takers for that question?

Paul.

You're some man! I thought I was being very picky when I mentioned the rodding. Those are absolutely brilliant.

Looking at the photos of Banavie got me thinking about the bridge bolt: with the clamp lock driven version it's easy to do the far side as the cabling just goes under the canal. What I don't know is what was done in mechanical days to drive the bolt on the far side of the bridge. Any takers for that question?

Paul.

Thanks Paul, to be honest your earlier post was the impetus to dig out the pack of Wills point rodding I had put aside for the job!

I'm only guessing here but I suspect that pre electrical operation, the far locking lever was operated by one of the rods crossing the bridge (in conjunction with the near side one) in a similar way to the signal operation. I should probably have at least one more rod on my interpretation for that reason but clearance is too tight. I could add it on the opposite side of the track but that would mean having to add further rodding under the track by the Signal Box etc. Maybe a rainy day project!

A better picture of the modern locking system is here:

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/04/79/94/4799440_12aed8f7.jpg with a mirror image at the opposite end thus:

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/03/05/02/3050261_49f5e300.jpg

Cheers,

Martyn.

After much trial and error owing to the very tight space I have fitted the reciprocating point rodding carrier at the far end of the bridge, made up from bits from the junk box. It is assumed this apparatus converts the push movement of the rod to a pull movement of the signal wires. It is freelance compromise as I have yet to find a photo of an equivalent prototype, but far more cramped space-wise than would be the case in reality (a compromise necessary to feature the signals at all). The small wall around the signal has also been rebuilt.

post-28743-0-43400500-1473837601.jpgpost-28743-0-92498800-1473837581.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Whether or not it follows the prototype, it looks believable to me, and superbly modelled as always.

Really enjoying this thread Martyn, I'm a regular visitor to the real Crinan, and love how you've captured the feel of the area.

Al.

Whether or not it follows the prototype, it looks believable to me, and superbly modelled as always.

Really enjoying this thread Martyn, I'm a regular visitor to the real Crinan, and love how you've captured the feel of the area.

Al.

Much appreciated thankyou Al. I'm hoping to start work on the small extension beyond the Station soon, which will include the Crinan canal to Sea locks, I would like to include an interpretation of the Art Deco Crinan Hotel but I don't think space will allow it unfortunately. Also a renewing of backscenes is on the cards, something more resembling the wooded slopes around Crinan than distant hills as at present. The ID Backscenes "Forest Hills" are looking favourites so far.

Anyone who took my details before June regarding Crinan attending your exhibition AND WHO I HAVE NOT BEEN IN CONTACT WITH SINCE THEN, can you please make contact through this thread or via PM as my contact details (email & address) will have changed since then.

Many thanks,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn

What an absolutely stunning little layout. I cant believe I've missed this up until now. Cant beat a lovely Highland terminus layout.

The level of detail is superb and I really love the swing bridge.

Shall be following along now with interest.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus, much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So, these turned up in the post today:

post-28743-0-69185700-1479562132.jpg

I was only discussing them with John from ID Backscenes (aka "Art Printers") yesterday, and bang! they arrive this morning, thats what I call service!

I wanted more of a close to mid distance hilly forest feel than the current one (which currently is a mix of ID and Gaugemaster) on Crinan, so the "201 Forest Hills A & B" packs were ordered which should see quite a transformation hopefully. Can't recommend them highly enough. Link here:

http://www.art-printers.com/

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Couple of pics from today at Pontefract, layout has performed well barring a few "human errors" and the odd sticky coupling and seems to have gone down well with viewers. :-)

attachicon.gifIMG_20170128_115542.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20170128_115744.jpg

I don't bother with many shows but glad I did Pontefract on Sunday, some excellent layouts with Crinan up among the best on display in my opinion.  Excellent scenery, well detailed rolling stock from my favourite era, and plenty going on.  Thanks

I don't bother with many shows but glad I did Pontefract on Sunday, some excellent layouts with Crinan up among the best on display in my opinion. Excellent scenery, well detailed rolling stock from my favourite era, and plenty going on. Thanks

Many thanks for your comments Kingmoorkid, glad you enjoyed it!

Martyn.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martyn

Layout is looking awsome. So full of atmosphere!

Have you any other shows booked for this yrear? I presume you will be aquiring the Bachmann 24/1 in Blue, as well as the 29 from Dapol? :locomotive:

Simon

Thanks Simon, nothing currently booked this year as of now, next year have had verbal feelers for York, Newcastle and Wigan and a few other "possibles" but will update on here as and when, at least it gives me time to get some work done!

As for the Bachmann 24/1 and Dapol 29, not sure. Depends on funds etc mainly. SLW may (or may not) be doing a 24/1, Bachmann don't appear to be doing a Highlands version (cabside token apperatus, headlights, 5 slot boiler grille covers etc), plus I already have one which I'm quite attached too. Similarly having given up waiting for Dapol, my two 29s (third in the "works", can be seen in my workshop thread) have received a lot of personalising work, rechassis etc with follow up work to be done following the latest ones "heavy overhaul" so its unlikely they will be replaced, without even thinking of the costs involved with buying multiple Dapol ones. However, never say never!

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

A third Hornby Class 29 has been added to the fleet (6107) which has had major surgery including deepening the cab ends, which led to the other 2 (6121 & D6129) having the same treatment (full details in my workbench thread).

post-28743-0-59746100-1489775240_thumb.jpg

6107 is currently unpowered to use for double heading, the other 2 have Bachmann Class 25 chassis, although all are interchangeable if desired.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...