A few photos taken at various stages of construction and subsequent alterations.

post-28743-0-89364000-1462946924_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-09688700-1462947083_thumb.jpg

A couple of shots of the station building and canopy based on Mallaig, the building fairly closely (although a mirror image), the canopy less so being butchered Airfix/Dapol kits with Plastruct lattice girders linking to Ratio retaining walls. The canopy roof has been re-clad with embossed plasticard which looks similar to that on the original.

post-28743-0-40206100-1462948045_thumb.jpg

Early shot of the swing bridge being tested in position. It is motorised (although a better mechanism may be forthcoming at some point due to reliability issues). Square section locking slide fitted at one end is operated by a Lemaco point motor. Scratchbuilt Bridge structure based on Banavie. The canal surface is cheap gloss varnish from Poundland, scored when almost dry to give a slight ripple effect, with further layers added later.

post-28743-0-78246000-1462948666_thumb.jpg

The Canalside cottage acts as a viewblocker to the fiddle yard entrance, with the level crossing (User Worked for access to the cottage) visible beyond. Cottage is built from card and plasticard, with fine sand applied onto PVA to give the pebbledash finish before painting. Wills windows were used. The Hornby barn on the other side of the track hides the Distillery branch where it cuts across the back corner to enter the fiddle yard.

post-28743-0-61418400-1462949856_thumb.jpg

The more or less completed canal scene. The Signal Box is scratchbuilt and based on Arisaig on the Mallaig Extension. The yacht is also scratchbuilt, based on images found on the internet. My scenario is that the canal turns right beyond the bridge, running behind the station area, before turning right again into locks which link with Crinan Loch; effectively the station is on an island between canal and Loch (said "island" is real, I just stretched reality by building a railway into it! :-) ).

Thanks for looking!

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this - cracking layout with lots of nice touches and scenes.

Do you have a track-plan? you can get a reasonable idea from your photo's - but I love a trackplan :-)

Could I also ask the dimensions of the layout?

I'm not aiming to copy it - but I always like to get an idea of what can be achieved in certain spaces.

Regards,

James

• Like 1

Hi, Thanks for sharing this - cracking layout with lots of nice touches and scenes. Do you have a track-plan? you can get a reasonable idea from your photo's - but I love a trackplan :-) Could I also ask the dimensions of the layout? I'm not aiming to copy it - but I always like to get an idea of what can be achieved in certain spaces. Regards,James

Thanks James, afraid I'm not familiar with Templot etc, this is as far as I've got with drawing the trackplan so far:

post-28743-0-31892800-1462968612.jpg

Must get it finished and coloured. I appreciate it isn't very clear as I have yet to label anything but you should hopefully get the gist of the track layout. The scenic section (backscenes highlighted red) is 10' x 2'. A 2' scenic section is planned beyond the station (left end in the image) featuring not railway, but the canal locks into Crinan Loch and the station forecourt.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for the info - nothing wrong with a nice hand drawn track plan - most of us are not neat enough with the pencil to publish our scribbling's until they are transferred to a program!

I had not noticed the alternative exit to the fiddle yard until I saw the track-plan and re-examined the photos.

I thought it looked like the scenic section was longer than 8 feet, but my guess was 12 - you've done a cracking job in the space available. I particularly like the idea of a dis-used turntable.

Looking forward to following your progress.

Cheers,

James

Edited by jamest
  • Like 1

Great Layout Martyn! Would love to see more picture.

I'm especially impressed with the way you worked out a way of having an extra branch line running back into the fiddle yard, I do need to remember that one. It looks great!

• Like 1

Great Layout Martyn! Would love to see more picture.

I'm especially impressed with the way you worked out a way of having an extra branch line running back into the fiddle yard, I do need to remember that one. It looks great!

Many thanks! The Distillery branch gave me some headaches as the simple way would have been to hide it under scenery, however the canal runs into the backscene so the only option was to hide it behind the backscene, thankfully I realised this before cutting the baseboard to size!

• Like 1

Hi Martyn

Just thought I'd add my appreciation to all that above. A lovely layout with lots of West Highland atmosphere.

Just one thing - more pics please!

Cheers,

Dave

Many thanks for your kind words Dave!

Crinan recently moved into its new home in the Rhyl & District MRC Clubrooms, I just need to finish a small amount of rewiring and then will have a running session and take some more photos. Watch this space . . . !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just spotted this layout today, really enjoyed your photographs and I would love to see it at the Glasgow Show.  There have been many West Highland themed layouts on the go in recent years, this is easily one of the best I have seen, really captures the unique atmosphere.

Jim

• Like 1

Just spotted this layout today, really enjoyed your photographs and I would love to see it at the Glasgow Show. There have been many West Highland themed layouts on the go in recent years, this is easily one of the best I have seen, really captures the unique atmosphere.

Jim

Hi Jim, many thanks for your kind comments. I would certainly be interested in doing Modelrail Scotland if an invitation comes along at some point. Had some tentative invitations to shows further afield than my usual North Wales/North West England over the next year or 2 so you never know!

• Like 1