Not much new visible work to show on Crinan, although the current phase of wiring mods is more or less complete. In the meantime I have made some progress with the remaining signals to be done, namely the Home signal with various route arms:post-28743-0-57651400-1467542841.jpgpost-28743-0-06843400-1467542816.jpg

Left to right routes are the Goods/Loco Release Loop; Platform 1; Platform 2; Goods yard entrance.

Build is an elderly Ratio LNER lattice signal kit with Alan Gibson signal arms, operated by fine steel piano wire. Movement will come from 4 small servos purchased for the job. Some detailing to be finished yet . . .

• Like 4

Absolutely love the canal scene !

I'd like to do Banavie as it was in the late 90s - oh for the space !

Many thanks Rob, yes Banavie would make a good subject, especially if the road swing bridge and canal locks could be incorporated, maybe even squeeze in the nearby paper mill/ aluminium plant for added operational interest?

• Like 1

Also on the workbench currently are a pair of Cambrian Kits "Sturgeon" rail/sleeper wagons. Undoubtedly the most time consuming plastic wagon kits I've done thus far. Not unduly fiddly perse, just the adding of 14 wire handrails, 14 bump stops AND 14 door springs per side means these wagons are not a one evening build! However the 1 piece bogies are superb, as is the provision for NEM compatible couplings (Kaydees in my case). Probably finish one in black and one olive with heavy weathering. Waiting on the Cambridge Custom Transfers to arrive now.post-28743-0-11999500-1467979906.jpgpost-28743-0-69070000-1467979934.jpg

• Like 5

As promised a few more photos, taken with my phone so please excuse the quality!

post-28743-0-10491800-1468361474.jpg

The Station entrance (a la Mallaig/ Fort William) leads onto the concourse. The buffer stops of Platform 1 are beyond the fence and various poster boards. This view is normally not available owing to the end backscene but an extension is planned to allow the station frontage to be seen.

post-28743-0-02146500-1468361750.jpg

View looking from the other direction, across Platform 2, towards the Station Building. Passengers shelter from the elements blowing in from the Sound of Jura.

post-28743-0-52980200-1468362083.jpg

The lone piper prepares to great a train; has he been brought in for a VIP perhaps? Its unlikely he's there for the lone elderly gentleman who appears to have been shopping. . . ! What appear to be milk churns are actually water carriers for the small stations en-route, which do not have their own supply. The practice of supplying water by train was once fairly common in the Highlands.

post-28743-0-67322300-1468362282.jpg

Meanwhile, a hiker has found a handy perch for his backpack while awaiting his train. The Brute trolleys will be filled tomorrow morning from the early mail train, whence they will be loaded onto the Jura ferry for onward dispatch.

post-28743-0-41441100-1468362626.jpgpost-28743-0-20789500-1468362659.jpg

At the end of the platforms the local P. Way section have their "bothy" and sheds; The foreman and a colleague are discussing the day's work. Nearby is the Signalman's cottage with a gate onto the walkway (old sleepers, not great in the wet. . . !) which is beyond the point rodding runs. The garden appears to have unofficially extended to flower beds outside the fence. Cottage chimneys still to be fitted I remind myself!

post-28743-0-50883600-1468363400.jpg

In the goods yard all is quiet. The crew of the 05 are on a break, having picked up a Steel High ready to add to an outgoing freight. Although officially withdrawn, this loco has become a local "pet", amid rumours it is being purchased by the Crinan Distillery to supplement their Sentinel which isn't always up to the job. . . ! General fishing equipment lies on the quayside in the foreground.

post-28743-0-81616500-1468363891.jpg

It is also a quiet moment at MacLeods Fuel supplies, the lorry must be out on a delivery. As well as Coal, Macleods have the only petrol pumps in Crinan, although marine fuel which arrives by rail is served by a different concern. (MacLeods was named after a work colleague from the Clan of the same name, which heralds from this area.)

post-28743-0-88421400-1468364212.jpg

At New Custom House the seagulls on the flat entrance roof don't appear to be disturbing a conversation on the steps, or the Postie about to empty the Post Box; it appears to be a Ford Anglia Van meet!

post-28743-0-31286300-1468364547.jpg

The Up Starter signal guards the Canal Bridge and is next to the Signal Box, which is based on that at Arisaig. The Token exchange stand allows the Signalman to collect/pass the Token safely to traincrew. Point rodding lies beneath the wooden walkway. The Signal Box has a detailed interior, including Token Machine and is usually lit, though not today, must be sunny for a change!

post-28743-0-72018300-1468365104.jpg

A Secondman appears to be contemplating the old days as he stares at the overgrown Turntable pit. Staff cars now stand where the approach track once was, and a small fuel point has replaced the long demolished small wooden Loco shed just off to the left. The Supervisor's office still stands however, being the focal point for the remaining Train Crews.

post-28743-0-47990800-1468365566.jpg

Finally, for present, the quayside sees 3 men engrossed in conversation. The Fordson tractor is used to pull boats up the slipway. The 05 still sits idle, for now.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 18

Hi Martyn,

What a great layout, it really has that Scottish feel to it, with some great looking stock too. The sturgeon are looking good  too I quite fancy getting a few myself at some point.

The signal looks great, are the post from a kit?

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Martyn,

What a great layout, it really has that Scottish feel to it, with some great looking stock too. The sturgeon are looking good too I quite fancy getting a few myself at some point.

The signal looks great, are the post from a kit?

Cheers Peter.

Thankyou for your kind words Peter. The Sturgeon are nicely thought out kits, though time consuming with all the handrails, springs and doorstops. Weathering is currently progressing on them, using nothing more than a cheap acrylics set and which is turning out to be quite an enjoyable exercise!

The signals are from the Ratio LNER kit, with Alan Gibson BR standard style arms and worked by fine steel piano wire. The existing ones use redundant Lemaco/Fulgurex point motors, although I have picked up some small servos for the Home signal build as this needs 4 motors in a fairly confined space. Once in place I really need to add a "Shunt Ahead" arm to the Up Starter signal by the Signal Box, though I fear I may have to build a complete new signal as removing it to work on may not be easy!

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The amount of detail in this layout is quite simply outstanding. A key feature to my mind is the thickness of the lattice members, which are so often excessively thick and spoil some excellent layouts, not so in this case. Nicely done sir,  and a pleasure to see.

Dennis

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One of the things about RMweb is you occasionally stumble across a gem of a layout by accident. For me this is one of these cases . What a superb layout just oozing West Highland atmosphere. Really astonished that the scenic section is only 8' as from the shots it appears much bigger. Love the track layout and the station with it's overhead trestles. Just superb. Captures the era I was growing up , I'd probably be 8 so it just seems much more evocative than many other layouts. I also know the area slightly having passed it on way to Campbeltown . The HB Viva just takes me right back to holidays and days out with my Mum and Dad. Just superb!

As others have said, more pics please when you have the time

I can also add as a Glaswegian it would be lovely to see this layout at Model Rail Scotland. Organisers, you are out there, what you waiting for. If not Glasgow, maybe Perth .

Edited by Legend

One of the things about RMweb is you occasionally stumble across a gem of a layout by accident. For me this is one of these cases . What a superb layout just oozing West Highland atmosphere. Really astonished that the scenic section is only 8' as from the shots it appears much bigger. Love the track layout and the station with it's overhead trestles. Just superb. Captures the era I was growing up , I'd probably be 8 so it just seems much more evocative than many other layouts. I also know the area slightly having passed it on way to Campbeltown . The HB Viva just takes me right back to holidays and days out with my Mum and Dad. Just superb!

As others have said, more pics please when you have the time

I can also add as a Glaswegian it would be lovely to see this layout at Model Rail Scotland. Organisers, you are out there, what you waiting for. If not Glasgow, maybe Perth .

Thankyou for your very generous comments. The scenic section is actually 10' long, with an envisaged 2' extension at the station end to allow the actual Crinan Canal locks (into Crinan Loch) to be modelled.

And yes, exhibition invites always gladly received!

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Like 2

The amount of detail in this layout is quite simply outstanding. A key feature to my mind is the thickness of the lattice members, which are so often excessively thick and spoil some excellent layouts, not so in this case. Nicely done sir, and a pleasure to see.

Dennis

Thanks very much Dennis!

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Signal is superb: well done. Have you given any thought as to how the signal wires might have got from the box to the signal given the swing bridge? Clachnaharrry used to have a contraption that was (I think) point rodding to the far side of the bridge with a mechanical engagement on each side of the bridge. That was only for one signal: how it would work with four or more 'wires' across the bridge I don't know. Sorry I can't post a photo.

Note that this is just me being difficult; your modelling is superb and far above my standard.

Paul.

• Like 1

Signal is superb: well done. Have you given any thought as to how the signal wires might have got from the box to the signal given the swing bridge? Clachnaharrry used to have a contraption that was (I think) point rodding to the far side of the bridge with a mechanical engagement on each side of the bridge. That was only for one signal: how it would work with four or more 'wires' across the bridge I don't know. Sorry I can't post a photo.

Note that this is just me being difficult; your modelling is superb and far above my standard.

Paul.

Thanks for your comments Paul, Yes the method you describe seems to have been a common solution to the problem of operating signals across swing bridges, I recall a photo of such an arrangement at Yarmouth, in fact it may have been the same at Banavie which had a protecting signal on the opposite side from the Signal Box. Presumably, and this is just my conjecture (perhaps someone with specific knowledge can confirm), the rods ran from the signal lever, pushing the one on the bridge section which in turn pushed another on the far side to operate the signal; the signal, being weighted, would then push the rods back to their "normal" position when the signal lever was replaced. There would be interlocking to prevent the bridge opening if the rods were not in the correct position, and of course if the bridge was open for the canal the signal could not physically be cleared by mistake.

In the case of "Crinan" I would assume the rods run under the bridge walkway so only the runs either side would need representing thankfully!

In theory a signal may have undergone conversion to be electric motor worked possibly, the cables being under the canal, but I'm not sure if this was actually done anywhere.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 1

This image on Flikr shows that Banavie bridge did appear to have such an arrangement for operating the protecting signal (which can be seen above the roof of the first coach) back in the day before RETB signalling came in.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24041160@N02/15489544366

The upper b/w image shows the "point rodding" above the bridge decking to the left side, with associated raised switching equipment; there appear on close inspection to be several rods either side of the track, possibly for the distant and home signal with others for interlocking; the aligning rods can be seen at the top of the raised stands where one butts up to the next, there being no physical connection so relying purely on alignment. It has clearly been removed in the lower image post resignalling, though there is still a locking bar mechanism going into the bridge platework, as well as the one in the 4ft. Looks like I will have to model it in full view after all. . . ;-)

Edit to add more info.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 1