Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What railwayana/train junk do you have in your house/garden?

As well as quite a number of WTTs and various bits of paperwork I have a handful of larger items.

A semaphore signal lamp holder. 

The disc only from a lower quadrant ground signal.

A Stationmasters cap, possibly from Nailsea and Backwell.

Most of a cast nameplate from an engineers grampus wagon.

And a very heavy cast sign 'Beware of the Engines'

cheers 

• Like 1

I have a section of FB rail, pandrol clip, and a screw, plus a few lumps of coal. Not railway related but I also have a danger of death sign off a pylon, reflective road stud, public footpath sign, red & green man from some traffic lights. I used to have a keep left bollard but don't know what happend to that.

Saw a 4 aspect signal for sale in a junk shop but it was silly money.

Mark

• Like 1

i did have; a 5 inch length of rail, an almost completely rusted away LMS lamp, a spike chair and 3 spike to go with it, and some mile post plates. They sat on our back step but i wasnt allowed to take them with us when we moved except for the milepost plates which are at the back of a cupboard or draw somewhere in my room, here they were on the backstep

this is the only photo ive got of them and theyre in the background of a pic of my cat so the quality and the size isnt good

post-9948-0-70957200-1463237483.jpg

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 1

A drivers side sliding cab window and frame from 55007 'Pinza'.  I bought it at the Ashford Chart Leacon open day in August 1982 from Collector's Corner who had a stand there.  It just about fitted in the boot of my Dad's Mk 3 bronze 'Life on Mars' Cortina.

Also, a domino headcode panel from 31262 (I think).  This came from the Euston Collector's Corner for £5.  I remember proudly managing to get it home to the south coast via the tube at rush hour as a 15 year old in 1984.

And a deltic engine reduction gear and a several piston rings (Collectors Corner), a class 47 exhaust valve (Crewe open day 2005).

• Like 1

Collectors corner!

OMG - what an amazing place that was. You remind me I have brought a double arrow still on its transfer sheet, along with a bunch of destination strips from the boards at Victoria when they ripped them out. The sound of the flapping of those boards as a train was displayed is a memory long forgotten until just then.

I also forgot my door number is one of the SR number stencils like Judge Dredd - but not so elegantly displayed.

• Like 1

Of course - those flappy destination boards.  I bought half a dozen of those too, in fact my favourite was a blue one for the Manchester Pullman (from Euston I guess).  I'd forgotten all about those, and have no idea if I even still have them.

Yes, collector's corner was an experience.  I can remember class 47 nameplates leant up against the wall - £600 for 'Confederation of British Industry' (47595), which to a 15 year old seemed like a fortune at the time.

I had my eye on a Deltic sliding cab door and drivers seat but alas couldn't work out how to get them home on the train.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Collectors corner was excellent when it was at Euston, the one that replaced it York was rubbish not surprised it didn't last long. I had a bit of a run in with the owner as I didn't think they should be selling master keys to the public for a fiver. The transport police agreed!

Collectors corner was excellent when it was at Euston, the one that replaced it York was rubbish not surprised it didn't last long. I had a bit of a run in with the owner as I didn't think they should be selling master keys to the public for a fiver. The transport police agreed!

I know one lady whom was grateful when the York store closed :angel:

Paul

I have a couple of cast iron signs, a metal GWRsign, a hardboard GWR sign, a GWR glass fronted noticeboard, GWR 3 aspect lamp, LNER roller towel and a GWR metal cash box.

Also some parcel labels, BR1 notebook (unused, maroon colour), BR pencil, BR1 notebook unused blue and a BR buffet green mug.

Edited by lightengine

I have a broken Caledonian signal finial. It wasn't broken, until it succumbed to a stray football. Can you stick cast iron back together?

John

Someone could certainly weld it.

• RMweb Premium

I might have found this old signal lamp by the track bed of a closed railway about 40 years ago.

post-31-0-67674600-1463410463.jpg

Last year I finally got around to 'restoring' it and bolted it to a cast iron trivet so that it can stand in the fireplace.  It's got a battery camping lamp inside it, although the battery always seems to be dead when I want to demonstrate it!

post-31-0-25738000-1463410535.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

In one of those strange quirks of international trade BR used Solari indicators made at Udine in Italy. If you go to Italy, you find UK-made equipment.

I never really liked the Solari as they replaced the much nicer wooden versions at Waterloo and Victoria.

In one of those strange quirks of international trade BR used Solari indicators made at Udine in Italy. If you go to Italy, you find UK-made equipment.

I never really liked the Solari as they replaced the much nicer wooden versions at Waterloo and Victoria.

The wooden version from Brighton was taken to the US and was at Universal Studios in 1986 when I visited. My colleague and fellow guard, Tony McLeod, visited Universal Studios and adjusted all the columns correctly as the Yanks had made a pigs ear of them.

Edited spelling of McCleod to McLeod.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 2

An LMS wagon "D" plate (spent the weekend cleaning it up and repainting it - it's like new now)

An LMS "rebuilt 1920" loco plate...yes, I know the LMS was formed in 1923, but it is genuine; the LMS replated everything in a full re-branding exercise and kept the original rebuild dates for passenger locos at least

A few other random cast iron wagon plates in various colours and shapes

All the above are for the outside garage wall to jazz up the garden a bit.

I also have an LMS home signal arm, sadly with no spectacle plate.  I may rig it up on a 4x4 post or something.

Finally, a BR (E) three-aspect guard's paraffin hand lamp which works perfectly.

Various bits of cast iron. These are some of them:

post-1771-0-03401600-1463438807.jpg

For nostalgic reasons, I would actually prefer to have 66 and 67 district plates, but with the current price of such things, that's not going to happen now.

• Like 3

i have a one foot long length of flatbottom rail that made an excellent lump of ballast in the front of my old skoda rapide now makes a bloody good anvil and somewhere i have a couple of semaphore repeaters