Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What railwayana/train junk do you have in your house/garden?

I've got a chair from the Croesor tramway.

...... ah - but I've got FIVE; both intermediate (narrow) ones and joint (wide) ones, and with spikes (albeit somewhat corroded). One-upmanship in railwayana; I really shouldn't - sorry!

I located a length of rail in the stream, but I didn't have a hacksaw or waders with me. Shame, a joint between two lengths of rail would have made a nice garden feature.

Was yours 'liberated' from the turf in the village car-park? It would seem that, after abandonment, the rails were 'recycled' into fences by local farmers, but the chairs were left in-situ - presumably no-one could think of a way of 'recycling' them.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 3 months later...

I have quite a nice old GCR tinplate notice formerly attached to a wagon directing it to be sent to Hickleton Main Colliery. Which suggests that some company wagons may have been effectively "thirled", as was once the practice in parts of Scotland. Because such a notice would not carry the railway company name if attached to a private wagon.

my eldest lad just bought a property 8 doors down from me, built sometime in the 30's

When we took the alcove boarding out in his front room, the funny looking girder that supports the fireplace in the back bedroom..... when viewed upside down is part of the old SDJR track that ran through Bawdrip approx 150m from where it is now.

Currently planning to paint it and leave it as a feature...... mind you if it ever goes missing he'll know it's in my man cave  next to the raised vegetable beds built from old sleepers.

Yours Aye,

Giz

just found a ticket from the Nene Valley Railway.

No 0350 Second Return (Child) from Wansford to Ferry Meadows.

Don't know the date but it must be before Feb 75 as I remember going on the bus with my grandad and he snuffed it then....as one would say.

Yours aye,

Giz

Couple of years ago stayed in a VERY nice B&B within walking distance of the Eden project and whilst munching toast at the breakfast table and chatting to the Landlady, happened to look a bit closer at the paddock fence containing her horse and said to her ...........

"That looks like the metal channel we use for point rodding on the railway" ...........................

"It is - my Dad was a Driver at St Blazey" .....................

• Like 1

Two of my items come to mind seeing this thread.

First, a white BR guards van side oil lamp.  This was the twin white aspect with a red filter that could be dropped in to turn the rear light red.  I have added an electric light so that my son can use it has bedroom light.  I have added an earth connection to the metal lamp and used all plastic light holder.

post-4412-0-89659900-1510522382_thumb.jpg

post-4412-0-41667400-1510522392_thumb.jpg

Second is a cast GNER crest that came off one of the HST Mk3 coach sides.  These were taken off when GNER lost their franchise.  GNER staff were give first refusal to get hold of these and a small number then appeared on online auction.  I was rather lucky to get this as it was being sold as "buy now" rather than a bid auction.   It is solid brass (i think) and pretty heavy.  I would wall mount it, but it is actually curved as they where shaped to the Mk3 side.  So I plan to shape a piece of wood and paint it GNER blue to one day mount it.  I love than fact I have a piece of real railway history.

See the third photo on this page for the coach mounting and also a bit of in-site in to the history  https://thebeautyoftransport.com/2014/05/14/along-the-line-blue-and-gold-gners-corporate-visual-identity-vignelli-associates-1997/

post-4412-0-56318800-1510521984_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jaggzuk
  • Like 5

Of course I forgot about indoors, this is one of my biggest treasures . Genuine SNCF steam loco headlamp from Rennes MPD.

I managed to find the correct glass chimney to go inside, modified a tubular wick and now as you can see it works just as it should, on paraffin .

post-15168-0-33021000-1510607920_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The shortest piece of preserved railway in the UK ?

this short piece of track is fantastic. I MUST get one of these to step over as the entrance to my train room as it will match the SDJR sleepers used for my raised veg beds.

absolutely awesome.

Yours Aye,

Giz