Crook street.

stevescan

Thanks Steve

Its that first step!  Jumping in and wrecking something.  With being O gauge and the higher cost of things, i don't want to wreck anything!  Do you airbrush yours?  If so, do you mind if i ask what you use?

Rich

Hey Rich,

i know what you mean i have been doing this for years on my armour, aircraft and ship models, i do use an airbrush it is a Badger 200 detail single action one, i have had it for about five years, it is easy to use and has never let me down. For primer and varnishing i use the MR aerosols these are excellent, also use their primer aerosols as well. for masking i use Tamiya tape. paints are either Tamiya or Testors acryilics, i use Tamiya thinners and retarder in their paints and Testors acrylic thinners with Vallejo retarder in the other makes. The BR blue is the Humbrol acrylic one which i brought back from England but have to say it is terrible to use, unfortunately it is difficult to get this colour here due to shipping restrictions so i am on the look out for an equivalent colour that i can buy here, i also use the pre- shading method that armour, aircraft etc. modellers use, hope this is of some use to you and if you work patiently and apply thin coats to slowly build up the finish you are happy with, you will be fine, there is unfortunately no replacement for actually doing it, practice on something of no value once you get the hang of it you will not look back,

Steve.  :good:

My first thoughts on seeing this were Chadderton Coal Yard. About as North-West as you could get.

thank you exactly the idea bouncing around in my head, think I need to have some redundant coal staithes and other detritus in there yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Some major alterations to Crook street the last few weeks, was increasingly un happy with the viaduct and one road fiddle yard, so i carried the track around to my right and into a two road fiddle yard which also gives me several more feet to run locos on and the area around the now head shunt will have terraced shops/ and houses overlooking it and terraced houses on the lower level on the other side, i feel it gives me an even better feeling of the close relationship in urban enviroments, i also got sick to death of trying to find detailing sets for the loco buffer beams, so i decided to start building my own, not as nice as the Hornby ones but better than the Craftsman ones, i will also have a go at the trunking etc.later,

20160623_115538%207743_zps2uvtbjae.jpg

20160623_115602%207742_zpsvsctioot.jpg

20160623_115610%207741_zpsjbfbrovi.jpg

Thanks for looking, Steve.

• Like 2

Very nice Steve.

I thought I could remember going round Crook Street early one Sunday morning on one of the organised weekend spotting trips by coach back in the 1970s. We travelled up on the coach overnight then spilled out bleary eyed at a variety of stabling points in some pretty desolate parts of the North West. I have checked my notes and cant find it so it must be a figment of my imagination!

Mind you I have got a photo similar to the second shot of 40169 taken on my Kodak Brownie camera where I have managed to cut off both noses!

cheers

Very nice Steve.

I thought I could remember going round Crook Street early one Sunday morning on one of the organised weekend spotting trips by coach back in the 1970s. We travelled up on the coach overnight then spilled out bleary eyed at a variety of stabling points in some pretty desolate parts of the North West. I have checked my notes and cant find it so it must be a figment of my imagination!

Mind you I have got a photo similar to the second shot of 40169 taken on my Kodak Brownie camera where I have managed to cut off both noses!

cheers

I never saw Crook st myself but it was just to the side of the old Gt. Moor st. station, i have not attempted to copy it in anyway but the idea of re-use for a different purpose and typical Bolton street names, just seemed to help me fix a look in my mind of the mid to late seventies where i grew up.

Edited by stevescan

Steve,

This has taken me back to my spotting days sat near Orlando Bridge in the 70's and the plethora of filthy diesels going about their tasks.

Cracking little layout, very atmospheric,

Karl

• Like 1

Steve,

This has taken me back to my spotting days sat near Orlando Bridge in the 70's and the plethora of filthy diesels going about their tasks.

Cracking little layout, very atmospheric,

Karl

Thanks Karl, i remember Orlando st. bridge well  exactly what i am trying to potray here, i am glad you like it,

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Ballasted and painted the new track and added an extra section, much more operating potential now, upper level built and terraced house row partly constructed,

20160706_184956%2064147_zpsxzn5aidv.jpg

20160706_184747%2063869_zpsnmhsijt6.jpg

20160706_184740%2063870_zpse2uv3bst.jpg

20160706_184711%2063871_zpsbuiafore.jpg

Lots to do yet and this is only a small layout!!

• Like 3

very nice layout.

full of atmosphere. at the time we had no idea just how grotty the 70's and 80's were.

thanks for sharing.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, agree it wasn't untill i got stuck into the different elements of this that i realised just how rough and run down things were, yet i kinda miss much simpler times like these,.

a small update, terraced row ready for detailing and weathering, second terraced house on lower level fairly advanced, added an extra section on the headshunt thus allowing a loco to be parked there without interfering with locos using it and added a little more greenery, will have to get seriously into weeds etc. soon,

20160710_200913_zpsyoqwod8z.jpg

20160710_200826_zpsgjuthbrk.jpg

20160710_200742_zpspwdglkzj.jpg

20160710_200735_zpsgp23u0j6.jpg

20160710_200522_zpsh7te4bt7.jpg

as always thanks for looking,

Steve.

• Like 5

More of the BR stuff Steve :good:

Yep though i picked up a large logo 37 this week and i am repainting another 37 into large logo, so i will have to move the time period forward a few years now and then, not many though. :)

What a cracking layout you are building here the weathering of the card kits is excellent, be good to see more on this subject it's very convincing will follow with interest 

Thanks guys, nothing special with the card kits really, i cover the roofs with a different roof slate paper, add gutters and down pipes from Evergreen plastic rod and angle then using dark grey and greens gently weather them up using my airbrush, i usually open up door or two or a gate and there are some people just visible in one or two of them.

Steve

• Like 2

A bit more work done this weekend, both sets of houses nearly finished, concrete street laid under terraced houses, worked on the porta cabin and skips and some groundwork,

20160717_144325_zpssb9oh5t2.jpg

20160717_142224_zpstdshqz09.jpg

20160717_141752_zpsqat3lzbd.jpg

20160717_141540%20121869_zps1of4f8rr.jpg

20160716_150625_zpslalbwdke.jpg

As always thanks for looking,

Steve.

• Like 6