Larkrail - Sat 16th July 2016 - Bath

Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

Lesley's Scrumptious Railway Refreshments will be available in the hall.

I gather that The Captain's Curvaceous Crusts are also being served on the day.

Mrs I. Beet-On

Will there be bananas?

• RMweb Premium

Paul Marshall Potter has just confirmed his attendance at this year's show on the 16th July with the late Chris Matthewman's "Bawdsey" EM layout.

Simon

https://bawdsey.wordpress.com/2011/07/30/the-back-story/

The layout was originally known as 'Strove' based on Aldeburgh, I then changed it to 1950's era BR and renamed it to 'Bawdsey'.

Edited by PMP
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Is there a 'Park&Ride' that will take me to the venue?

Regards

Not directly, P&R buses will take you into the centre but you will then need to find your way to either the bus station or to stops on the 6, 7 or 13 routes towards Larkhall.

Bath Park & Ride

Edit:

If you're coming into Bath by car from the London direction there's no point driving to a P&R as they're all on the wrong side of the city. You'll be able to drive and park near the venue from the A4 and M4 via the A46 (we don't have a P&R on the east side of the city).

post-1328-0-08145400-1466266340.jpg

Edited by Tim Dubya

Not directly, P&R buses will take you into the centre but you will then need to find your way to either the bus station or to stops on the 6, 7 or 13 routes towards Larkhall.

Bath Park & Ride

Edit:

If you're coming into Bath by car from the London direction there's no point driving to a P&R as they're all on the wrong side of the city. You'll be able to drive and park near the venue from the A4 and M4 via the A46 (we don't have a P&R on the east side of the city).

LarkRail Road Map.jpg

Thank you for that, but traffic into Bath in the summer is just plain horrendous, hence the request for info about Park and Ride. I haven't visited this show since it moved from Bradford-upon-Avon and it doesn't look as I'll be doing so anytime soon.

Have a nice show, I'm sure it will be most enjoyable, but a show in Bath in the summer is a big no no.

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for that, but traffic into Bath in the summer is just plain horrendous, hence the request for info about Park and Ride. I haven't visited this show since it moved from Bradford-upon-Avon and it doesn't look as I'll be doing so anytime soon.

Have a nice show, I'm sure it will be most enjoyable, but a show in Bath in the summer is a big no no.

You could always park in Bathford or Batheaston, right on the edge of the city and use the No: 13 bus as an alternative to a park and ride bus.  

If you come via the M4 get off at Chippenham and get on the A4 to either village and avoid the traffic.  

post-1328-0-28409000-1466359001.jpg

If you ask the bus driver, they will let you know when you've got to Lambrige, just cross the London Road via the pedestrian crossing and walk along to Lambridge Street, then up it past via the Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop on to the venue.

Service 13 Timetable.pdf

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

You could always park in Bathford or Batheaston, right on the edge of the city and use the No: 13 bus as an alternative to a park and ride bus.  

If you come via the M4 get off at Chippenham and get on the A4 to either village and avoid the traffic.  

attachicon.gifLarkRail 13 Bus.jpg

If you ask the bus driver, they will let you know when you've got to Lambrige, just cross the London Road via the pedestrian crossing and walk along to Lambridge Street, then up it past via the Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop on to the venue.

attachicon.gifService 13 Timetable.pdf

Just to put the distances into perspective, David, it's no more than a 3 minute walk from the bus stop on the main road (A4) on the map above, to the centre of Larkhall and the exhibition venue.

Have you perhaps thought of driving to somewhere else with a railway station and catching the train to Bath. There is a good bus service from Bath Bus Station (right next to the railway station), out to Larkhall, and I know that quite a lot of people choose this mode of transport.

Having said that, driving down from the M4 to Larkhall, even on a Summer Saturday, isn't too bad, especially if you take the 'old A46' from a point approx 3/4 of a mile from the A4, down to the A4 itself. I've done that myself, many times, and it's no real problem. Hopefully a few minutes waiting to turn right onto the A4 from the 'old A46' won't put you off attending?

I'll even give you a special offer on the sandwiches!

Just to put the distances into perspective, David, it's no more than a 3 minute walk from the bus stop on the main road (A4) on the map above, to the centre of Larkhall and the exhibition venue.

Have you perhaps thought of driving to somewhere else with a railway station and catching the train to Bath. There is a good bus service from Bath Bus Station (right next to the railway station), out to Larkhall, and I know that quite a lot of people choose this mode of transport.

Having said that, driving down from the M4 to Larkhall, even on a Summer Saturday, isn't too bad, especially if you take the 'old A46' from a point approx 3/4 of a mile from the A4, down to the A4 itself. I've done that myself, many times, and it's no real problem. Hopefully a few minutes waiting to turn right onto the A4 from the 'old A46' won't put you off attending?

I'll even give you a special offer on the sandwiches!

Don't you think this is more than a little condescending?

Sorry; I just think that is an appalling response. But I'm sure the information provided will be of use to others so it wasn't just wasted on the ungrateful.

• RMweb Gold

We all have our own ways of getting to exhibitions/shows/whatever but if the place is unfamiliar I think it can be helpful to get advice from those familiar with the area - whatever mode we use.  The first time I attended the Larkhall relocation of Simon's excellent event I had a heck of a job trying to find the relevant 'bus information on the 'net.  I expect it has got simpler to find 'bus times but Tim Dubya, and others, have given very useful advice for those unfamiliar with the area and the rail/local 'bus option is extremely simple even if you have to wait a little while for the 'bus.

I haven't driven a car in Bath for many years but if I was driving to the event I would have found the good Capn's advice very helpful.  Larkrail is a great little show and well worth attending as it's both a nice venue and full of some top notch modelling and modelling advice as well as a chance to meet folk we might only see occasionally or who otherwise only exist as pixels on here.  So apart from the potential of crowds developing or all the Capn's sarnies getting scoffed before I get to the head of the queue my past experience suggests it's well worth making the effort to get there however you do it and you'll enjoy it and have good day.

It is not a solution for everyone, but I have always walked out from the station,

it is about 1.8 miles, and it takes about 40 minutes, I vary the route each time for a 'refreshment' stop,

cheers

• RMweb Premium

It is not a solution for everyone, but I have always walked out from the station,

it is about 1.8 miles, and it takes about 40 minutes, I vary the route each time for a 'refreshment' stop,

cheers

and as mentioned up thread, it's a lovely walk to the venue along the Kennet & Avon canal (if the weather's good).

It's the route I always take from Combe Down avoiding the centre.

post-1328-0-15884400-1466428533_thumb.jpg

PS: and you get to do some Gricing en route!

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

and as mentioned up thread, it's a lovely walk to the venue along the Kennet & Avon canal (if the weather's good).

It's the route I always take from Combe Down avoiding the centre.

attachicon.gifLarkRail Canal Walk.jpg

PS: and you get to do some Gricing en route!

A jolly good point old chap, well flagged up!

By the time of Larkrail all of the towpath and associated footpaths will have been beautifully tarmaced, undergrowth cleared, and helpful fences and handrails erected wherever beneficial.

It was the least I could do.....

Edited by Not Jeremy

Regards

Why comment if you are not or have no intention of attending

• RMweb Premium

Go on then...

Here's a map of the good Captain's description of the route form the M4 / A46.  Be aware of the one way system as you get closer to the venue (not shown for the sake of sanity clarity).

post-1328-0-94560500-1466505568.jpg

another 'fun packed day at work' production

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 2

Go on then...

Here's a map of the good Captain's description of the route form the M4 / A46.  Be aware of the one way system as you get closer to the venue (not shown for the sake of sanity clarity).

attachicon.gif LarkRail From M4.jpg[/

Can't seem to find the bicycle lane on the good Captains map ?

Seems I'll probably have to start out next Monday in order to get there before it closes !

post-20303-0-78930700-1466794788.jpeg

Cy Clip

• Like 2