Larkrail - Sat 16th July 2016 - Bath

Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

Another great day out. Many thanks to Lesley and Simon (and not forgetting 'you-know-who' in the kitchen...he even got to moan about Voyager lavatories again in the pub afterwards!)

A few phone snaps as a taster. More later.

'Laramie

post-6728-0-60844900-1468744460_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-69822600-1468744500_thumb.jpg

'Trerice'

post-6728-0-68534500-1468744599_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-65377400-1468744647_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-30819600-1468744697_thumb.jpg

'Bawdsey'

post-6728-0-08744200-1468744858_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-37228500-1468744928_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-73565900-1468744953_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

post-20303-0-88020700-1468745720.jpeg

post-20303-0-70971300-1468745733.jpeg

Other bookshops and pubs were available, but I didn't see the point in moving !

p.s. There's a really comfortable pink ? sofa to sit on in Simons shop :)

• Like 4

And to round my trip off upon arriving in Exeter St.Davids I managed to capture this just leaving...

One up I think on "that lot" from the Trainspotting Live mob ! LOL

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Excellent day out as ever with lots of RMweb friends on parade (although I missed some of course - maybe arrival 2 hours earlier would have helped?).  Some very, very nice railways on display as well with in one case the added spice of tales of life 'on the 'buses' (the layout was rather spiffing as well and deserves to be better known).

Regrettably Notwork Rail were doing their level best not to work and appeared to have (mechanised by reversible signalling) single line working in operation from Thingley Jcn to Wootton Bassett West - presumably the oft mentioned 'signalling problem' which was otherwise unexplained apart from a cancelled train with the following one to Lunnon grossly over passengerised and, of course, delayed by running bang road from Thingley thus totally trashing connections forwards (but allowing time to purchase a  pasty at Reading).  Quite why 12 track miles of railway should be placed out of use 'because of a (unexplained) signalling problem' when its control and train detection systems are only just out of their shiny wrappers remains a mystery known only to NR and not shared with those whose journeys were discommoded by their tardy rectification efforts - suitable comments have been made on NR's 'feedback' form.  

Also totally inexplicable was GWR's failure to indicate that the so called 'cancelled' train (among others on that timetable pattern) was actually running and diverted via Badminton - a useful piece of information which would have avoided the need to travel in discomfort accompanied by the racket of a party of 200 foreign 'students'  (and I can confirm they were foreign as some of them very clearly understood some very firmly spoken words in German and French which effectively meant 'shove off'  (however at least 30 of their number were left on the platform at Bath).  Sorry to introduce such a sour note regarding what was otherwise an excellent day.

Further to my previous comment, I didn't see or hear Sid James anywhere!

Probably because he was sitting down yapping to me for a goodly long time ! That's why I needed a beer ( several) after the show !!! LOL

• RMweb Premium

Yes, we managed not to argue about track gauges and everything.

I see'd you Tim but you never see'd me a bit like Railwells, when you were discussing roof tiles on the table next to me. I think Not Jeremy took a photo which will show Sid's true identity...

Edited by Tim Dubya

This fella?

That's the geezer. (Gadgee up here in the North East) Elegant sort of bloke topped off with his distinctive and individualised style. Must be the size of his dicky.

Looks like there was some interesting train sets. Next year maybe.

P

• Like 1

Hope your passport's up to date - this the south (and I'm not allowed to leave).

Probably not but my South Western forbears were experts in the smuggling trade. They're always usefull to have around when undertaking clandestine border crossings.

P

This was my first visit and I enjoyed it. There were lots'n'lots of RMwebbers and others to engage in conversation and all in all a thoroughly sociable day.  It was good to meet for the first time Andy Kirkham, Cornish Exile, Tim Dubya and BGman, plus others whose identity I did not decode.

Among the layouts I admired Trerice as oft times before and was sorry to learn that this may have been its farewell appearance.  A rare privilege was to view Bawdsey, built by Chris Matthewman and now in the care of Paul Marshall-Potter.  St Blazey shed in 2mm by John Greenwood was captivating and illustrated as clearly as anything else why I do not take N gauge seriously but 2mm very seriously indeed.  There are a lot of very clever and skilled people in the hobby but you knew that.

I didn't get to the bookshop or the pub.  Maybe next time.  Well done Simon and team.

Chris 

Edited by chrisf
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Didn't get to the bookshop? Dear oh dear that's part of the fun.

I was asked if I needed a bag and everything, fortunately I had my 'designer' Wild Swan bag still from Exeter a few weeks back. Fashions change so fast I could have been 'so last year' ;)

I was slightly alarmed to find the sofa had moved to the middle, I was nearly in danger of having to do a Tesco style hunt for my 'regular' products! ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

A belated thank you to all visitors to Larkrail and everyone who participated in any way in this year's event. Many thanks also to all of you who have made such kind comments about the day both here, directly, and in other places on the Interwotsit. Lesley and I enjoyed it very much and the pleasure and fun it seems to generate each year means a lot to both of us, together with the many people who help with the event every year. Dave Summers is a kitchen superstar, as is Tim Maddocks (Captain Kernow) whose company we cherish. It was great to have him back (and on absolutely top form) after a "year off" in 2015. On the door friends Mike and Frank managed the five bar gates and coped with having no show guides, no tickets and definitely no track plans - maybe next year.

Other friends also help a lot, notably Steve Cook and Dave Easto and this year John Farmer Re6/6 was a washing and cleaning up wonder at the end of the show.

I'm not brilliant at pictures, but here are a few of perhaps the more social side of the event.

Tim performing wonders with eggs in the kitchen:

post-19301-0-14450800-1468961771.jpg

I should also like to say thank you and welcome to a good number of RMwebbers who visited, including Arthur (of glorious Downfall P4 parody fame), Mike Romans (Stationmaster) and a good few more besides. I also had the pleasure of introducing Graham (BGman) to Tim Dubya (Yay) and managed to snap a group of RMweb irregulars later in the day, from left to right, John Farmer,Tim Dubya (just), Tim Maddocks,Graham and last but not least Chris Foren.

post-19301-0-14355900-1468962122.jpg

Here's another of my favourite exhibits and personalities, Alan Henham, with his delightful and clever carbon footprint recycling layout-ette.

post-19301-0-63728400-1468962404_thumb.jpg

And finally, for the moment at least, we were greatly privileged to be visited by Dick Dorton and his son Andy. Dick is a great friend of ours, one of the select few(!) who exhibited at the very first Camrail at Limpley Stoke Station back in 1996 and the creator of a beautiful 16mm scale model of Peter Barnfield's "Wellington Boot Tread Cutting Company".

Unfortunately Dick is not at all well but with Andy's help he made a great effort to visit the show on Saturday, and I had the great pleasure of showing him around the event. I was also very touched to become the custodian of the beautiful model pictured here that will from now onwards be taking pride of place in my shop window display.

post-19301-0-08157900-1468962883.jpg

So thank you again to everyone who came, but a particular thank you, and fare you both well, to  the especially estimable Mr Dick Dorton and his very fine son Andy.

Simon and Lesley Castens

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

.  A rare privilege was to view Bawdsey, built by Chris Matthewman and now in the care of Paul Marshall-Potter.

Chris 

Thanks Chris, its appearance was even rarer this time, the van breaking down twice southbound en route, both times on motorway sections, and did the same again northbound. Volkswagen last weekend proving to be as reliable as a Turkish general.

The show was excellent, I rarely do one day shows, but Larkrail really is worth the effort even allowing for a nearly 400 mile round day trip. I too found Trerice fascinating its one of those layouts that just captures the essence of 'railway modelling' for me as does Laramie. Larkrail for me, ticks all the boxes it crosses all scales and gauges, the layouts and displays and demo's are always excellent, and the atmosphere relaxed and convivial. Roll on next year!

• Like 4

...and hardy a checked shirt in sight. How refreshing.

Actually NO shirts, pockets, bags or passports were checked...... Now that was refreshing in this day and age :)

• RMweb Gold

Actually NO shirts, pockets, bags or passports were checked...... Now that was refreshing in this day and age :)

I trust that any bananas purchased at the show and exported outside of Somerset were declared at the relevant Customs post.

I trust that any bananas purchased at the show and exported outside of Somerset were declared at the relevant Customs post.

Is banana smuggling illegal in Zummerzet ? Mind you I did get a strange look from the bus driver on the way back to the station !

• RMweb Gold

I'm glad this year's event was a success - it's a great credit to all involved. I'd initially thought I couldn't make it due to scheduling clash, then it looked as if I could make it - and was going to arrive with PMP and Bawdsey - then (dangerously near the day!) I realised I'd made an almighty dates cock-up and was going to be unavailable after all. A great shame as this really is an unmissable chance to catch up with old friends, make some new ones, and take in some exquisite and varied modelling.