Knowle Wagon Works

TTTE

CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK - Sorry

I'm pleased to announce the availability of my brass bearing tool suitable for 4mm modellers, following approval from the moderators.

The tool allows easy and accurate fitment of any 2mm brass bearing in RTR stock. Due to its design it is suitable for OO, EM and P4 gauges.

The 8mm hex body allows ample clearance between the W-irons and the chassis.

It is supplied complete and ready to use with simple instructions.

They are priced at £13.00 plus £1.50 p&p (Royal Mail)

Regards, Tom

post-23858-0-65733100-1463083148.jpg

post-23858-0-03769300-1463083164.jpg

Edited by TTTE
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks to those that have enquired about this tool.

After a successful weekend at Expo EM, the EM Gauge Society are stocking as part of their members trade supplies.

Still available directly from me also.

Regards, Tom

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Tom,

I'd like to get one of your brass bearing tools.  I did send a PM but I wonder if you got it, as I have had no reply.

Let me know how I can pay you (online transfer, Paypal?) and I'll get the payment to you.

Thanks,

Pete

Forgive my ignorance but what is it and how do you use it?

It's a tool for reaming out the axle boxes so you can fit brass bearings.  For me, I want to use it to replace the plastic wheelsets on old stock with metal ones to a more modern profile that run in proper bearings.

As for how you use it - if I can get hold of one then I shall be able to read the instructions!

Has anybody on here been able to buy one?

I've had no response from Tom to PM or post on here, although his profile indicates he was last active on 14th August.

His original post says he is sorting out a website, but no URL is given and I can't find anything on Google search.

The EM society list it, but the entry says "no stock".

Seems a great idea, if only it was obtainable.

Regards,

Pete

It's a tool for reaming out the axle boxes so you can fit brass bearings.  For me, I want to use it to replace the plastic wheelsets on old stock with metal ones to a more modern profile that run in proper bearings.

As for how you use it - if I can get hold of one then I shall be able to read the instructions!

Has anybody on here been able to buy one?

I've had no response from Tom to PM or post on here, although his profile indicates he was last active on 14th August.

His original post says he is sorting out a website, but no URL is given and I can't find anything on Google search.

The EM society list it, but the entry says "no stock".

Seems a great idea, if only it was obtainable.

Regards,

Pete

E-mail Tom directly: tomsilsbury72@gmail.com

He responded to me quickly this week and posted my order 1st Class within 24 hours.

Excellent service. (No connection other than as a satisfied customer).

Apologies for not responding on here. I did check on here after I had been a way for a month on holiday but there were no PM's - strange as they are all there now. I think i've responded to all enquiries via email, but if I've missed you, please email me and I'll answer straight away.

As stated, the easiest and quickest way to contact me is through the email address above. Everyone who has placed an order has had them dispatched within 24 hours.

PayPal is the easiest form of payment though a bank transfer or cheque is fine too.

If you are sending a cheque, please make it payable to Tom Silsbury.

I did an initial run of 200 and over half have gone already.

The EM Gauge Society did take a number of them from me at ExpoEM though they have not been in touch to re-order. I'll contact them to see if they are going to.

Regards, Tom

Edited by TTTE

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

post-23858-0-86533600-1521191403.jpg

I have just completed another batch of these tools if anyone is interested. Modified slightly to allow more clearance as shown for Bachmann Mk1 bogies.

Please contact me directly

tomsilsbury72@gmail.com 

Tools are £13.00 plus £1.50 postage to UK.

Will happily post worldwide - please email for postage costs.

Regards, Tom

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I bought one of these a while ago, but never got around to using it.

Today I thought I would have a go, and I'm struggling a bit.

This may well be because I have long ago lost the instructions and any other bits that came with it.

The drill that is supplied in the tool is about 1.75mm (measured with digital calipers).  So not surprisingly a 2mm bearing will not fit in the hole it reams out.  As far as I can see, the tool would not take a larger drill (or am I wrong?)

So how should I use it to fit a 2mm bearing?

Also - what is the required size of the allen key to adjust the drill position? (yes - I lost that too :-( )

Thanks,

Pete

Hi Pete,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble using the tool.

If you pm or email (as above) me your address, I'll email you over the instructions and drop another allen key in the post to you.

I've only ever used the same supplier for the drill bits and just measured one up in my digital calipers which measures up at 1.98mm - did a couple to make sure and they are all the same. Happy to include another drill bit with the allen key just in case it was a rouge one.

Regards, Tom

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

I got the jig last week and I have already done 15 mk1 coaches. Very impressed with the tool and a lot of my club members have been impressed with the out come to.

My black 5s can now run with 10 on the back with no problems all wheels are free and no bind on them.

I will see you at Fareham in October.

Mark Towers

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for your kind offer to send the instructions, allen key and another drill bit.

I'm very happy to pay for what it costs and postage, it's my fault I lost the instructions and allen key!

I have emailed you my postal address.

I have managed to ream out the axleboxes on a few old coaches so that the pinpont axles will go in and run in the plastic.  The tool worked well for that, and they run better than the old plastic wheels, but putting proper brass bearings in would be preferable and will give even better running.  I'll have a go at that as soon as I get those bits from you.

Big thanks!

Regards,

Pete

Edited by PeteB

As promised I said I would do some step by step pics so here they are

1: removing the bogies and wheels

2: cleaning the pin point on the axles ( little bit of plastic on them )

3: uising the jig set it so the bearing is the same length as the drill bit

4: slowly screw the drill bolt until it is flush on the side

5: push the bearing in the hole and apply a bit of pressure

6: replace the wheels and try to push it along the track ( mine went around 16ft )

7: repeat on the other bogies

8: put bogies back on coach and test

9: make a brew and enjoy

post-12366-0-94659000-1534200669_thumb.jpeg

post-12366-0-39858100-1534200682_thumb.jpeg

post-12366-0-50199100-1534200699_thumb.jpeg

post-12366-0-82291800-1534200713_thumb.jpeg

post-12366-0-34428400-1534200725_thumb.jpeg

post-12366-0-02823400-1534200741_thumb.jpeg

post-12366-0-54123400-1534200754_thumb.jpeg

post-12366-0-97373800-1534200768_thumb.jpeg

post-12366-0-58429700-1534200783_thumb.jpeg

post-12366-0-45317100-1534200923_thumb.jpeg

post-12366-0-18854400-1534200966_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Guy,

The tool is designed so you can adjust the length of the drill bit to suit the type of brass bearing you are using by means of the two small grub screws that hold the drill bit.

Not sure if you have one of my tools, but they do come with an instruction sheet on how to use it which covers how to set up the drill bit.

Essentially, you need to measure both the depth of the brass bearing you wish to use, and the available depth of plastic on the back of the axle box you're drilling in to.

Providing there is enough depth on the axle box, the drill bit can be set to the required bearing depth and the tool is designed so that the face of the drill end acts as a natural stop to stop you drilling all the way through.

That's step 3

As for step 4, the tool is adjusted using the screw thread to the required width so it just puts pressure on the surface you are drilling into. As you turn the tool it will cut into the plastic and become loose between the W irons. A simple half turn of the two halves of the tool will extend the length of it via the screw thread and it will become tight again.

It's really very simple to use and has taken me longer to type this than it would have to do a wagon.

Hope that answers your question, but if not, please ask again and I'll see if I can clarify it for you.

Regards, Tom