York Show 2017

john new

Just to make it very clear all Mike did was to get a local bus company, that did run a bus on Race days, to run the service over the York Show days. The Show had no control over when or if the bus actually ran.  This was fine until the number of visitors using the service declined to such an extent that the operating company could not cover its costs, and hence stopped running the service apart from the Saturday.

The problem we, the Show, has is that we do not generate enough income surplus to subsidies a bus service. We are looking at other ideas but as yet have not got very far, again because of the costs involved.

If we do come up with anything we will update the website and probably post on the forum.

Advance tickets are available via the website and they can be ordered using PayPal as well as the printable form.

Peter

I think you've proved the point of why there aren't any buses on Sunday and Monday, the show is much quieter so there aren't enough passengers to pay for it.

Edited by RANGERS

I think you've proved the point of why there aren't any buses on Sunday and Monday, the show is much quieter so there aren't enough passengers to pay for it.

I think the real reason is that visitors are coming by car rather than by public transport. Especially on the Sunday and Monday. The Show has always been quieter on the Sunday and Monday, and even on the Tuesday in the old days. I am also given to understand that the bus company in question is having problems getting drivers to work on the Bank Holiday Sunday and Monday; although I can't actually confirm this.

We will keep looking for alternatives.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Go for the Healthy option and walk as it will only take 15 minutes max!

But not so easy if you are laden with goodies purchased at the show.Last year,I arranged to pick up my SLW Class 24 from Phil Sutton at the show. Some of you will know it comes in a box inside which is a tin containing the loco.Marvellous packaging but not conducive to easy transportation.Tried unconvincingly to convince my wife when we met after the show at the station that it was a tin of biscuits.Not my best performance,I have to admit......

• RMweb Gold

Lateral thinking - Would it help if for visitors making the return run to the station we had a meeting point for potential ad-hoc taxi groups? Meet, ring a taxi, ride back as group of a four or five splitting fare costs between you? If a few say yes I will raise it at the next Committee meeting so we agree up front where to set it up with a sign/list of the local taxi company numbers.

Might be possible to set up a similar system for those arriving at York station. I would assume that there would be more than one visitor on each train so really just a meeting place somewhere on the station. Might need some help here as I don't think that I have ever used the station to get on or off a train although have changed trains on odd occasions.

As John says an item for any other business I think.

Peter

• Like 1

Might be possible to set up a similar system for those arriving at York station. I would assume that there would be more than one visitor on each train so really just a meeting place somewhere on the station. Might need some help here as I don't think that I have ever used the station to get on or off a train although have changed trains on odd occasions.

As John says an item for any other business I think.

Peter

Theres not a lot of road space at the front of York station and on a Saturday the concourse can be busy. By the signal just inside the main doors may be a suitable place for you all to meet.

Paul

York CC axed the Sunday service so their is no "normal" bus on the Sunday or Bank Holiday Monday to the Racecourse venue. On the Saturday their is a hourly bus (Arriva service 26) which leaves the Rail Station at 26 mins past the hour

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/globalassets/documents/yorkshire-services-documents/web-timetables/2017-01-09-26-excel.pdf

Edited by Butler Henderson

I wouldn't be concerned too much at the cost of a taxi--what I'd need is somewhere under cover with seating where I could wait for a taxi to come.

York is remarkably civilised. It has  an astounding fleet* of to hire hackney cabs and even more for private hire, try 365365 - they are less than 100m from the station, but the station usually has long queues of cabs.

Paul

* astounding - the southerner in me! I am unable to get over that 6 or 7 in 10 of the cars that pass me when I am walking from the club on a Friday night are private hire or taxi. And yes I am nerdy enough to count.

• RMweb Gold

Were missed off the list of traders

As web page states the list is still last year's until I update it with the content received this week as mentioned above. If we missed you last time apologies.

Layouts & Traders will be the current updates. Societies and Demonstrators still TBC/work in progress.

• RMweb Gold

Latest updates to the YMRS website now live. Traders, Layouts and Hints & Tips pages updated today.  Traders - I note several of you have not supplied me with a website, ebay or Facebook page link, any that I receive will be added but I haven't time to go looking!

Still to come the Society & Demonstrator lists for 2017 as they remain Work in Progress. As previously mentioned the Travel page will also be reviewed and link checked closer to the Show date for any changes since it was last revised and updated in October.

Traders are now on the site.  There will no doubt be further updates between now and Easter, so worth visiting at regular intervals. Advance tickets are available by using PayPal or the form from the website. Try to put the tickets in the post the day following the receipt of the order, sometimes it takes and extra day.

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Traders are now on the site.  There will no doubt be further updates between now and Easter, so worth visiting at regular intervals. Advance tickets are available by using PayPal or the form from the website. Try to put the tickets in the post the day following the receipt of the order, sometimes it takes and extra day.

Peter

Traders page given minor update tonight. One new trader added (Revolution Trains) and most of the previously missing links to the traders websites now added.

• 3 weeks later...

We can now confirm that a bus service, 197, will be operating between the York Railway Station and the York Racecourse on all three days of the Show.  Not yet got a timetable but will publish when received.

Peter

• Like 4

We can now confirm that a bus service, 197, will be operating between the York Railway Station and the York Racecourse on all three days of the Show.  Not yet got a timetable but will publish when received.

Peter

I'm sure many will be pleased to hear that news, note that concessionary passes aren't accepted on it though.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure many will be pleased to hear that news, note that concessionary passes aren't accepted on it though.

Valid point RANGERS re passes on the 197 but as a reminder there are also local service bus options (Saturday only) on which use of the concessionary passes should be available. Alternatively If you arrive at the station there is also the option for taxis - groups could taxi share one of the many York taxis serving the station rank . The latter will get you closer to the show entrance which would be a bonus if the weather is inclement.

I am just commencing the off-site editing of the show website with the bus news (as posted above) and also an update to the Societies and Demonstrator page with the details of invites as they currently stand. Not yet sure when that will be finished/uploaded but should be later today.

Edited by john new

Valid point RANGERS re passes on the 197 but as a reminder there are also local service bus options (Saturday only) on which use of the concessionary passes should be available. Alternatively If you arrive at the station there is also the option for taxis - groups could taxi share one of the many York taxis serving the station rank . The latter will get you closer to the show entrance which would be a bonus if the weather is inclement.

I am just commencing the off-site editing of the show website with the bus news (as posted above) and also an update to the Societies and Demonstrator page with the details of invites as they currently stand. Not yet sure when that will be finished/uploaded but should be later today.

It is of course up to individuals whether to catch the bus or travel there by other means but bear in mind the 197 is an event day service run on a commercial basis, if not enough people use it, the taxi may well be the only option next year and instead of extolling the virtues of arguably the best show in the country, we'll be filling this post with laments about the lack of a bus service!

• RMweb Gold

It is of course up to individuals whether to catch the bus or travel there by other means but bear in mind the 197 is an event day service run on a commercial basis, if not enough people use it, the taxi may well be the only option next year and instead of extolling the virtues of arguably the best show in the country, we'll be filling this post with laments about the lack of a bus service!

As a tall bloke who can't ride cross country trains these days anyway (because the seats are too close together to sit in if you have long legs) the bus debate has been for me, and I guess other tall people too, a distracting and pointless academic debate. Only my personal opinion, not an official comment on behalf of the show, but perhaps there has been too much debate about the ruddy buses already!

To get back to the show.

We have a fantastic line up of layouts, traders, societies and demonstrators in one of the UK's prime tourist locations. Add to that the 3-day bus link reinstated this year, the extensive free parking, easy access to the City by road and fantastic catering what more do you need. Book a ticket, roll up and enjoy the day.

Edited by john new

Don't forget that advance tickets can be purchased using PayPal via the York Show Website. While I do try to put the tickets in the next available post, it is not always possible.  People keep wanting my layout at Shows which means anything arriving on a Friday may not get handled until the following Monday at the very earliest. So please bear with me.  However if you have not received any tickets ordered after 15days please contact me either by PM on here or by the contact address on the York Show website.  I only need your name and Post code to check, but make sure I have a way of getting back to you.

Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...