York Show 2017

john new

• RMweb Gold

Minor change made by the Racecourse for the arrangements for the Disabled Toilets/Baby Changing this year on the 1st Floor Mezzanine as they have fitted a RADAR scheme lock.  If you haven't the necessary RADAR key we have one at the Information Stand. 

Nowt like a bit of constructive criticism!  

You might just as well have said, "what's the point of railway modelling." You may not derive any pleasure from viewing that particular model but others obviously do or it would not have got an invite to York.

Silly statement.

P

You might want to have look at the track plan of Duncan's Mine before you condemn RANGERS altogether. :D

• RMweb Premium

Always an enjoyable show.

Good day today and nice to see some old friends too before the long drive home to Somerset.

Think I spent a record low on two packs of LMS goodies off the Parkside stand and a bit of brass off Eileens. Bonus.

And the fish and chips up in the restaurant were not half bad either.

Only downside is having to endure the 11 year old's taste in music for the past 4 hours.
  • Like 4

Time to get back to serious stuff, I think I saw the finest piece of modelling I've ever seen today, and there wasn't a train in sight.

If Carlsberg built layouts, it would be called O'Connell St. This is more than a model, its an artistic masterpiece and fully warranted the half hour plus I spent in front of it, after I'd finally managed to find a space. I'd seen it before but impressed though I was with it at the NEC, it looked even more impressive in the slightly more refined setting of York and though I'd said it before, it really was worth the ticket price on its own.

The rest of the show was also very impressive, York in recent years has raised the bar and this year pushed it higher still and for anyone hesitating about a trip, make the effort, even if it is just to catch O'Connell St.

PS, Duncans Mine wasn't half bad either...

Edited by RANGERS
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Re Duncan's Mine. Why the criticism of a simple track plan layout a new to the hobby person might feel like emulating? Not everyone has the space for a Gresley Beat or O'Connel St and if everything was that size/quality we would get limited new blood to the hobby. Can't comment on build quality as not had time yet to get around the Show from the stands I'm running so not physically seen it.

Edited by john new

Re Duncan's Mine. Why the criticism of a simple track plan layout a new to the hobby person might feel like emulating? Not everyone has the space for a Gresley Beat or O'Connel St and if everything was that size/quality we would get limited new blood to the hobby. Can't comment on build quality as not had time yet to get around the Show from the stands I'm running so not physically seen it.

What criticism?

What criticism?

See what I mean about smiley's and emoticons. As much as I dislike them, their use in your instance would have indicated you intended your comment to be humorous as opposed to a criticism.

Or was it a criticism?

P

I think some people need to loosen up.......The initial comment from Rangers was not criticism merely a witty reflection on Steves layout.....And I can't see any criticism of Steve layout from Rangers or indeed any other source John....one observation, and I have made this known to some members of the organiising team, is the lack of micro layouts present apart from the small Highland Railway shed- something I know from experience does capture the imagination of some of the public..........

Disgusting of Market Harborough

See what I mean about smiley's and emoticons. As much as I dislike them, their use in your instance would have indicated you intended your comment to be humorous as opposed to a criticism.

Or was it a criticism?

I don't think it's a requiremenf to laugh (use a smiley) at ones own humourous comments. Is it?

Whatever way it is meant there will always be some who miss the point either way (as here) and an emoticon rarely clarifies things so all understand. Such is life. Sometimes its best to shrug and move on rather than labour a point.

G

The 'Whatpub' website has ninteen pages of pubs in York.....imagine being a CAMRA member and having to survey that lot each year for the GBG!

Pete

The perfect job? ;) almost too good to be true......!

PS - I hope everyone who can make it enjoys the show (as well as the beer!)

Edited by south_tyne

If it helps, I didn't see it as a criticism with or without smileys.

steve

Thanks for confirming that Steve, needless to say there was never any intent to criticise, just merely making a point.

Have a great show, hope the layout runs as well as it did yesterday and hope to catch up with you at some point.

For the benefit of those who weren't at York yesterday, Duncans Mine is a charming exercise in small layout design, nicely modelled with some fine stock and ran faultlessly, worth making a point of searching it out at a show near you. ;)

Thanks for confirming that Steve, needless to say there was never any intent to criticise, just merely making a point.

Have a great show, hope the layout runs as well as it did yesterday and hope to catch up with you at some point.

For the benefit of those who weren't at York yesterday, Duncans Mine is a charming exercise in small layout design, nicely modelled with some fine stock and ran faultlessly, worth making a point of searching it out at a show near you. ;)

Point taken.