York Show 2017

john new

Now I'm home it's thanks time:

1. The organisation for the invite in the first place and the weekend.

2. Jean (Mrs steve1) for her help in setting up on Friday and all day support on Saturday.

3. Colin from ERFG for operating assistance yesterday.

4. 31A Steve for assistance today and the other stand-ins that allowed me to eat and get about a bit.

5. All the members of the public for taking an interest in the layout.

6. All those who expressed an interest in inviting the layout to other shows.

7. Jean again for the pie and a pint dinner when I got home!

steve

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I love this show.

(Although I would love it more if I could ever remember how to find the catering!)

Excellent layouts, demonstrations, trade stands and people. (I got some very useful books for my next project.)

This is one of my favourite shows. Plus, as I came over Standedge with TPExpress, not only did I take advantage of the £10 upgrade but also got some nice diversionary miles in as we went from Leeds to York via Castleford.   :)

Some pics...

post-12815-0-33820200-1492461622_thumb.jpg

post-12815-0-17853000-1492461633_thumb.jpg

post-12815-0-93740300-1492461645_thumb.jpg

Kev.

(My feet hurt...)

• Like 4

A quality show yet again this year when I attended today (Easter Monday) with a big thank you from myself to all the organisers, traders, catering staff and exhibitors who had given up there Easter Bank Holiday to bring along some great layouts from all corners of the country for putting on a great event full of uplifting modelling inspiration and what made the day very much better for both me and my Dad is that Wednesday won away to QPR!

Sam

Edited by sammyboy

(My feet hurt...)

Theres a way to cut down the foot work at York - arrive, take lift to top floor - visit café and or wc as required, then work your way down to the floors. Need drink etc - lift back to top floor then repeat having a second look at some and a first look at those you missed first time, repeat as applicable :sungum:  

• Like 2

Super show, I visited today for the first time in many years and the quality of layouts was second to none, it was not overcrowded and I managed to get to see everything I wanted to. Also managed to pick up some bits and pieces for various projects too.

My thanks to the Organisers, Exhibitors and Traders for an enjoyable day.

Edit to add a few phone-cam photos:

Bachmann 00-9 Class 10-12

post-28743-0-41643100-1492465472_thumb.jpg

Gresley Beat

post-28743-0-96392300-1492465511_thumb.jpg

Buxton TMD:

post-28743-0-63287400-1492465554_thumb.jpg

And the legendary Pempoul:

post-28743-0-55134000-1492466641_thumb.jpg

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 9

Enjoued Are 1st York show & after driving down to south wales Arriving 11.45PM What a long day & i am now ready for Bed Roll on next years show

Off to CRASH OUT

I know that feeling! Came Down for the day from Helensburgh. Great show with so many great layouts

Hello

John and I had a great weekend with Towcester, it was good to see so many people watching the layout and seeming to enjoy it.  Special thanks to our celebrity guest operators Mick Bryan and Dave Tailby for their invaluable help and an even bigger thank-you to the team who organised it for putting on an excellent show and for inviting us. We look forward to returning next year with Georgemas Junction. Time now for a lie down in the dark room.

Cheers

George

Thanks to all those that helped organise and run the Show over the weekend.  Without you it would not exist!  Thanks to those who brought their train sets model railway layouts to the Show plus the demonstrators, traders and perhaps especially all those of you who visited the Show. Seems like most of you found it OK. Sorry to those who did not find the catering on the third floor of the venue. Always worth a visit as there is plenty of seating and good food!  We will try to get some more and larger direction signs to the catering area next year.

Work has started on the 56th Show to be held over Easter 2018; 31st March, 1st April ​and 2nd April! Advance tickets will be on sale from early October and details will appear on the York Show website as they become available.

Peter

• Like 1

Thanks to all involved for a great show! I really enjoyed my day out and the highlight for me was the storage box for Crioch and the layout infrastructure. Although I liked the layout too :D Thanks to the owner spending time "show and telling" about it's construction. There were some really good inspirational layouts both large and small and Pempoul is in my top ten layouts. Looking forward to next year though not wishing time away..

I'd like to thank everyone involved with organising this show. It's been a personal favourite ( and I've been every year for the past 10 shows). So much so I visited both Saturday and most of Monday afternoon battling through bank holiday traffic to and from Scarborough.

Personally I really enjoyed The Gresley beat and spent most of Monday taking pics and videos of the layout, as someone stated it's like watching history in the making.

I also pre-ordered a dyno coach from rails of Sheffield and picked up some reference books for a future project.

But once again well done to everyone involved with this years show and I look forward to next year.

Edited by jamie.dunn
  • Like 1

Thanks to all involved for a great show! I really enjoyed my day out and the highlight for me was the storage box for Crioch and the layout infrastructure. Although I liked the layout too :D Thanks to the owner spending time "show and telling" about it's construction. There were some really good inspirational layouts both large and small and Pempoul is in my top ten layouts. Looking forward to next year though not wishing time away..

I'll second that. The owner/builder of Crioch (sorry, didn't get his name) was a true gent, and I enjoyed our chat, especially when he gave me a sneaky peek inside his stock box. All those lovely kit built HR locos, wonderful stuff.

• Like 1

Firstly id to say a big thankyou to the organisers , traders and exhibitors for once again putting on a good show. 

the quality of the layouts were all superb and a inspiration to us all. 

i usually go every year on the saturday. 

the only observation i would make is that the queues didnt seem as long as previous years. But by dinner time the show had filled up nicely . 

There was an additional, third, ticket issuing position for the first hour on Saturday. And although upsetting a few people being cash only speeds everything up.

Its the first year I've done a proper stint on the door, an interesting experience (and b...dy cold!). I always thought it was elderly ladies whom didn't expect to pay for their shopping in the queue at M&S, but I've now learned it is a trait with many men as well not making any advance preparation to pay!

Paul

I'll second that. The owner/builder of Crioch (sorry, didn't get his name) was a true gent, and I enjoyed our chat, especially when he gave me a sneaky peek inside his stock box. All those lovely kit built HR locos, wonderful stuff.

Dr Peter Fletcher, as you say a true gent. 

Thanks to all those that helped organise and run the Show over the weekend.  Without you it would not exist!  Thanks to those who brought their train sets model railway layouts to the Show plus the demonstrators, traders and perhaps especially all those of you who visited the Show. Seems like most of you found it OK. Sorry to those who did not find the catering on the third floor of the venue. Always worth a visit as there is plenty of seating and good food!  We will try to get some more and larger direction signs to the catering area next year.

Work has started on the 56th Show to be held over Easter 2018; 31st March, 1st April ​and 2nd April! Advance tickets will be on sale from early October and details will appear on the York Show website as they become available.

Peter

Interesting you should mention the catering, I was in the queue behind a disabled gent on Saturday and was impressed by the attention the staff gave him, carrying his tray through the servery to the checkout, making sure he had everything he needed and then helping him to a nearby table and sitting him down. Full marks to them and worth a mention to the team there.

• Like 2

A good day out for myself, my good lady and my father.

Great selection of layouts, glad to see lots of small layouts too, got some useful trackplan ideas for my projects. My wife was enthralled by the O Gauge sound equipped Deltic - although it is larger than the space I have for a layout (dodged an expensive bullet there!)

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately I missed the show this year due to the arrival on Good Friday of our Cocker Spaniel Puppy "Molly". We have been without a dog for 6 six years àfter losing our 14 Year old Cocker Spaniel "Rosie" as shown in my avatar.

Looks like I missed a good show.

The 'Eaton Gomery' team would also like to add our thanks to Mal and the York Organising Team, it was as many have already said a most enjoyable weekend. As this was Eaton Gomery's final exhibition it seemed a perfect fitting that it should be at York, finishing as it were on a high. I believe it was also 'The Gresley Beat' and 'Pempoul's' last outing also, surly that is no coincidence.  

However, to any future prospective exhibitors a word of warning. Take the advice of the organisers who suggested that those exhibitors accommodated at the Wheatlands Lodge Hotel should use the school car park. We ignored this sound suggestion and chose instead to park on the tree lined road in front of the Hotel, it being we thought a more convenient option. Little did we know that the said trees where the roosting haunts of a particular breed of pigeon. This is a Yorkshire mutant stain that shares it's genes with a cow, cement mixer and a tube of super glue. Now we have pigeons in Lancashire and their droppings are easily removed with a hosepipe and a sponge. Not so this variant, it took me a full morning of hand washing and a trip to the car wash to remove a solid crusted layer of rock hard excrement. This substance has a super material quality that if a research programme is undertaken at the University could yield untold benefits to mankind, be they medical, industrial or technological. I have since found out that the figureheads on whaling ships leaving Whitby were carved from this material and that it was also used on many of the public buildings in North Yorkshire if they ran out of stone.

I hasten to add that this predicament was totally my own fault as I failed to take notice of the organisers and as our own Wigan Exhibition Manager commented this is not a rare occurrence. Apparently I'm now the living embodiment of this trait and it is something of which I will be frequently reminded.

Edited by Eaton

Thanks for another great Easter. It says I'm the Treasurer in the Show Guide; like so many of the 'crew' I'm there on the Thursday putting out the tables and marking out (2 teams this year!). Personally, I've always enjoyed seeing the layouts arrive; some in the backs of cars with exposed telegraph poles & signals (!) and others, (Pempoul for instance) beautifully packed in protective boxes.

Another point I hope the 'punters' notice is that we put the Traders in the same spot year on year, so they don't need to ask where to set up etc..

Saluti

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for another great Easter. It says I'm the Treasurer in the Show Guide; like so many of the 'crew' I'm there on the Thursday putting out the tables and marking out (2 teams this year!). Personally, I've always enjoyed seeing the layouts arrive; some in the backs of cars with exposed telegraph poles & signals (!) and others, (Pempoul for instance) beautifully packed in protective boxes.

Another point I hope the 'punters' notice is that we put the Traders in the same spot year on year, so they don't need to ask where to set up etc..

Saluti

John

Nice to see you again Mr Treasurer. Keep on with that there layout, and your assistant will probably drag me back in next year.