York Show 2017

john new

Excellent show.

I did have a word with the catering management about one silly issue-

Teas and coffees were being sold un-milked in cups with lids.  You placed the cup on your tray with your food, paid for it and went off to a trolley where you added the milk and sugar etc to taste- 

EXCEPT that it needs both hands to remove the lid from the cup and there was nowhere to rest your tray while you did so.  

The lady manager put her hand to her head and said "We put lids on the cups for safety.  I'll get something sorted" - the latter when I questioned how safe it was for someone to lose control of a tray and spill their dinner over the person standing next to them....

The rest of the show (within the control of the York club) appeared to be excellently managed- and layouts and demonstrations were of a high calibre>

Les

Pempoul has at least one more show, at Lille the weekend after next...we're there with Mers les Bains as well flying the flag for the UK,

Peter

Its my understanding ( direct from Maggie) that Pempouls last show is at Railex.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I just wanted to say thanks to the organisers on behalf of Revolution Trains for another great show. Our spot on the Floor 2 mezzanine is a very pleasant location - with a lovely view over the racecourse and plenty of light - and this year was at no time too hot!

The catering was also among the best I have seen at a show; the large 3rd floor cafe has a wide selection with plenty of seating and exceptionally generous portions.

Cheers

Ben A.

Regarding Gresley Beat & Pempoul I stand corrected. Another example of the accuracy of the Railway Modelling Grapevine.

Gordon said that Pempoul was definitely being retired after York, also hopefully to go in the museum.

EDIT - sorry Persephone, I hadn't read your post.  At least we agree!

Edited by 5050

• RMweb Gold

S

Excellent show.

Teas and coffees were being sold un-milked in cups with lids.  You placed the cup on your tray with your food, paid for it and went off to a trolley where you added the milk and sugar etc to taste- 

EXCEPT that it needs both hands to remove the lid from the cup and there was nowhere to rest your tray while you did so.  

The lady manager put her hand to her head and said "We put lids on the cups for safety.  I'll get something sorted" - the latter when I questioned how safe it was for someone to lose control of a tray and spill their dinner over the person standing next to them....

The rest of the show (within the control of the York club) appeared to be excellently managed- and layouts and demonstrations were of a high calibre>

Les

Sadly too often this happens with Risk Assessments and changed policies. (1) Identify risk/problem or other issue, provide solution. (2) Overlooking that application of said solution creates another issue. 

There was an additional, third, ticket issuing position for the first hour on Saturday. And although upsetting a few people being cash only speeds everything up.

Its the first year I've done a proper stint on the door, an interesting experience (and b...dy cold!). I always thought it was elderly ladies whom didn't expect to pay for their shopping in the queue at M&S, but I've now learned it is a trait with many men as well not making any advance preparation to pay!

Paul

Sorry about the cold Paul. I think I left the doors on 'open' for too long. Should have put them onto 'auto'!

Will try harder next year.

Peter

The Model Railway Society of Ireland enjoyed our visit to York with O'Connell Street and look forward to returning again some time

Good to have you there. Glad that you enjoyed your visit.

Peter

Excellent show.

Les

Well at least you found the refreshments!

I kept visiting layouts and traders under signs for various closed catering facilities, steadily building up an appetite as a result, but failed to stumble across the canteen!  

• RMweb Gold

Well at least you found the refreshments!

I kept visiting layouts and traders under signs for various closed catering facilities, steadily building up an appetite as a result, but failed to stumble across the canteen!  

Me too.

Eventually, my aching feet told my brain to ask a steward where the refreshments were.

Sad thing is, when he told me "3rd floor, accessible via the lift only" I remembered doing this exact same thing last time I visited!

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

We used the Tannoy less this year to announce where the refreshments are located as some people find the announcements annoying; others then fail to find the cafe! (Classic Catch 22!) Personal observation, the Restaurant's own signing inside the lifts and, by the lift doors, doesn't help much in that they use such a bland colour scheme that even when you know where they are their visibility isn't great.

However, over the weekend the show team collectively agreed where extra temporary YMRS signage for the restaurant/seating area can be placed to supplement theirs without either (a) narrowing gangways or (b) clashing with the Racecourse requirement NOT to tape/blue tack anything onto the walls and pillars.

Problem therefore hopefully will be minimised next year.

PS Location of the Restaurant is also given in the Show Guide in several places, we do try! (Just checked my copy - Welcome page, P8, P21, Centre Page, p37, p40, p48 and P57)

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We used the Tannoy less this year to announce where the refreshments are located as some people find the announcements annoying;

Whilst mentioning the Tannoy. There were a couple of bizarre call outs we had to do this year, the oddest one? Probably the one trying to let a driver know they'd left their car engine running and the window down so should go back to it ASAP without at the same time alerting any potential car thieves in the building that there was a dead easy car-jack available! Didn't hear it had got knicked so hopefully a satisfactory outcome to that one. Good year too for reuniting the lost property that got handed in.

Edited by john new
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As usual we had an excellent weekend at York even if I was running out of voice by the end! I was very pleased with the amount of interest one of the smallest layouts at the show generated particularly when displayed alongside a demonstration. A combination which works well and we will be repeating at Railex Aylesbury.

A big thanks also to Mal and the rest of the team. As usual we were very well looked after, hope to be back next year.

Jerry

Whilst mentioning the Tannoy. There were a couple of bizarre call outs we had to do this year, the oddest one? Probably the one trying to let a driver know they'd left their car engine running and the window down so should go back to it ASAP without at the same time alerting any potential car thieves in the building that there was a dead easy car-jack available! Didn't hear it had got knicked so hopefully a satisfactory outcome to that one. Good year too for reuniting the lost property that got handed in.

So THAT'S what that odd announcement was about! :>)

Bill

• Like 1

I'm late into this topic, but also wanted to thank the crew that puts on the York Show for all their efforts and for another very successful show. It is one only two UK shows that Rapido currently attends and a personal favorite. The location and view from the mezzanine can't be beat!

Bill

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

As it has gone midnight the Advance Ticket Box Office has now opened for 2018 Show tickets as promised.  Hopefully everything is working  OK. Layouts list for 2018 also went up live a few days ago too.

As it has gone midnight the Advance Ticket Box Office has now opened for 2018 Show tickets as promised.  Hopefully everything is working  OK. Layouts list for 2018 also went up live a few days ago too.

PayPal working fine, looking forward to it already.