York Show 2017

john new

the WW2 dock layout is Overlord by Chris Mead, one i would like to have seen

Cracking layout, not just railway but a lot of military modelling too. I'm not into steam but I could've spent hours taking in the detail.

Had a good day out at the show, I can only apologise for the excited toddler shrieking on the ground floor near Gresley Beat just after lunch. What can I say, he just really like the trains sometimes and I'm now partially deaf in one ear...

The picture on the nameboard for Towcester is a nice touch, hadn't noticed that before.

Plenty seats dotted about for those who needed a rest too.

We'll be back next year but with a toddler in his "terrible twos", will try and keep him on best behaviour!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid I missed the name on this O gauge high level layout. I seem to recall it is Stand 69. Thanks to Stivesnick, I now know that this layout is called The Back End.

post-7024-0-63416700-1492368253_thumb.jpg

post-7024-0-46664800-1492368322_thumb.jpg

post-7024-0-74416700-1492368824_thumb.jpg

post-7024-0-14380700-1492369008_thumb.jpg

post-7024-0-11360800-1492369056_thumb.jpg

post-7024-0-35437000-1492369089_thumb.jpg

Pempoul

post-7024-0-05601100-1492369121_thumb.jpg

post-7024-0-14243700-1492369143_thumb.jpg

post-7024-0-31220100-1492369169_thumb.jpg

post-7024-0-49910900-1492369187_thumb.jpg

post-7024-0-65797700-1492369213_thumb.jpg

More to follow............

Edited by 96701
  • Like 10

Very enjoyable 5 hours today and all I bought was some GW roof white and freight brown paint despite plenty of choice with the traders.

Nearly succumbed to an 03 in blue before remembering I model pre war now and I don't need another layout, then there was this green class 15 in 0 that looked rather nice but again despite cash burning a hole in my pants I resisted, but how much longer?

SLW wanting votes on a Scottish 24, choices choices.

Layoutswise, something for everyone, looks like the Gresleybeat team have been taking advantage of the many Hornby deals of late as well as an explosion of Atlantics which adds further to the whole model.

Sadly my N gauge mojo has definitely gone though I was enthralled by one N gauge layout Titheridge Junction which again proves the strength of N in the landscape.

Crioch had some wonderful models on it despite its minute size but my favourite on the day was Ludlow.

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Gold

I thought that there was a wonderful spread of models and traders. One of the best shows that I have been to. Please keep up the good work, this year's is an inspiration.

Oops. I forgot entirely to mention the demonstrators - also many and varied.

Edited by 96701
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Myself, son and Ray made the trip again from North Devon for a weekend in York and spent a very enjoyable day at the show on Saturday.

The selection of layouts was superb. Although we had seen a few layouts before, was good to see them again, Gresley Beat, Pempoul and Overlord to name three. Hard to choose any favourites out of all the layouts though.

As always a good selection of trade and able to buy want I needed. My son and Ray each buying themselves a loco.

Hope to get back next year and hopefully with a layout sometime in the future.....

• Like 2

The blue diesel layout in post 157 was called The Back End. It was one of the show's highlights for me.

On the journey home, thought about doing a N gauge version - but you could never get the same atmosphere - its the big growling locos and massive wagons that make this layout work so well.

Nick

Firstly id to say a big thankyou to the organisers , traders and exhibitors for once again putting on a good show. 

the quality of the layouts were all superb and a inspiration to us all. 

i usually go every year on the saturday. 

the only observation i would make is that the queues didnt seem as long as previous years. But by dinner time the show had filled up nicely . 

• RMweb Gold

Firstly id to say a big thankyou to the organisers , traders and exhibitors for once again putting on a good show. 

the quality of the layouts were all superb and a inspiration to us all. 

i usually go every year on the saturday. 

the only observation i would make is that the queues didnt seem as long as previous years. But by dinner time the show had filled up nicely . 

Advance tickets were up (allowed in earlier), may account for the 10am queues looking shorter.

Great show as always.

I'm always transfixed by the Gresley Beat, no matter how many times I've seen it now. It feels as though I'm watching actual history. I suppose that makes it a successful work of art as well as an exemplary railway layout. I always walk away feeling uplifted by the experience. 

post-7153-0-36483000-1492440950_thumb.jpg

post-7153-0-87700400-1492443063_thumb.jpg

(I don't usually take a lot of pictures, but I do wish I had have taken a few more now)

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Like 8