Model shop in High Wycombe - late 1970s / early 1980s

Jim Martin

As I've mentioned before in various threads, I grew up in High Wycombe in the 1970s. In my boyhood I was an avid (and fairly indiscriminate, in terms of subject) builder of plastic kits. I bought most of my kits at Keen's Model Shop, upstairs in the Octagon shopping centre. I also bought a fair few at a newsagent in the little arcade on Brindley Avenue, which was on the way home from school when I was in juniors. Recently, I was thinking about this and I remembered buying quite a lot of stuff at another shop which I'd pretty much forgotten about until now. I remember buying Japanese ship kits, Minitanks vehicles (?  these were smaller than 1:76 - possibly 1:86 and all moulded in dark green plastic) and also white metal wargames figures there. As I recall, this was somewhere on Oxford Road, probably between the end of the flyover and Bellfield Road (this area has changed out of all recognition since I lived there - I left in 1982; Arch Way and Glenisters Road didn't exist at all and the main road towards Hughenden ran down Frogmore and Temple End). Does anyone remember the name of this shop and whereabouts it was?

Jim

Keens in the Octagon was after the original shop was burnt out in the early to mid 1970s - before the Octagon the shop was in Bridge Street, actually a two up / two down with a bay window.  On one side was another converted house that was a newsagent at the time...  on the other side was a church.

I believe that the model/toy shop which you recall in the Oxford Road was Childs...  later the business expanded to open a second shop near to the Station...  before the entire business moved to the Desborough Road.

Childs certainly rings a bell. Wasn't that the shop at the lights at the bottom of Crendon Street, though? I know there was a toyshop there on the corner of Easton Street that got smashed up a couple of times by lorries failing to stop at the bottom of the hill.

I certainly don't remember Keen's being anywhere other than in the Octagon, although I doubt that I'd have been interested in it until about 1974 at the earliest.

Jim

Childs certainly rings a bell. Wasn't that the shop at the lights at the bottom of Crendon Street, though?

Not to my knowledge.

The shop which was at the bottom of the hill was a bit of everything mechanical...  and had a large, multi-draw, chest of Meccano from which one could buy any part which was in the current range.

Childs certainly rings a bell. 

The Child's shop along the Oxford Road was two shops side-by-side and with a walkway between the shops at the rear.  Next door or so was a cycle shop with the slogan "Bill Hoar for bikes".

The Child's shop along the Oxford Road was two shops side-by-side and with a walkway between the shops at the rear.  Next door or so was a cycle shop with the slogan "Bill Hoar for bikes".

That's definitely the one that I was thinking of! The entrance on the left was for the model section: counter on the left, then glass cases holding wargames figures and rows of those tiny model conifers that don't look like any tree in Christendom; kits on shelves to the right. The right-hand entrance led to "other stuff" that I don't remember having any interest in: maybe craft things or dolls. The walkway was right at the back of the right-hand section, but the left-hand shop extended further back. I don't remember what they sold in that part of the shop.

Many thanks!

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

So what happened to Keens after the owners moved to the Octagon?

It was upstairs in the walkway from the actual Octagon bit itself (at the back of Murrays') towards the Guildhall. The first shop along there was Percy Prior's Music Shop - which seems to still have been in business recently enough that it had a website, but the domain name's up for grabs - and Keens was next door. I think that Chelsea Girl was at the Guildhall end of the arcade on the ground floor. The only other business that I can actually place along there was the White Horse Buttery, where you could sit on orange vinyl seats and eat toast and drink (I guess, at that time) orange squash.

As far as I recall, Keens was still in business there when I left Wycombe in 1982. My mother moved to Berkhamsted in about 1986: I didn't go back to Wycombe for about ten years after that and never to the Octagon, so I don't know what happened to the shop, I'm afraid. While writing this, I've just found something called Remember When Wycombe on Facebook. I might ask my wife to go on to it so that I can have a look - I don't have a Facebook account - but I assume that there'll be a price to pay for all the times I've made fun of her enthusiasm for the Ormskirk Bygone Times site!

Jim

Keens in the Octagon was after the original shop was burnt out in the early to mid 1970s - before the Octagon the shop was in Bridge Street, actually a two up / two down with a bay window.  On one side was another converted house that was a newsagent at the time...  on the other side was a church.

I believe that the model/toy shop which you recall in the Oxford Road was Childs...  later the business expanded to open a second shop near to the Station...  before the entire business moved to the Desborough Road.

Keens and Childs were my 2 boyhood shops, but I do remember one on Frogmoor that I went to very occasionally.

Indeed I helped out in Child's on Desborough road on Saturdays in the late 80's.

Childs were ultimately responsible for getting me into Model railways via my dad of course.

Anybody remember 'Mick Keen' of QPR fame? Keens was to do with that family and very nice people they were / are too.

Cheers

Dave

The first shop along there was Percy Prior's Music Shop - which seems to still have been in business recently enough that it had a website, but the domain name's up for grabs - and Keens was next door.

Not quite...  Keens had two shops on the upstairs gallery.  The shop nearest to Percy Prior's was for handcrafts such as basketry whilst the other shop was two doors towards the Pepper Pot and that was the model shop.

Keens and Childs were my 2 boyhood shops, but I do remember one on Frogmoor that I went to very occasionally.

Indeed I helped out in Child's on Desborough road on Saturdays in the late 80's.

Childs were ultimately responsible for getting me into Model railways via my dad of course.

Anybody remember 'Mick Keen' of QPR fame? Keens was to do with that family and very nice people they were / are too.

Cheers

Dave

Whoa! You're another Wycombe to Liverpool transplant? I suspect that we're a fairly exclusive club, given population trends and all.

Jim

Hi,

Sadly, there are no model shops in Wycombe anymore, I managed to grow up with the last model shop in Wycombe which was opposite the B&Q on London Road, which must of closed nearly 10 years ago I should think. I also vaguely remember going to one in the upper level of the Octagon probably 15 years ago, but I can't remember what either of them was called. 

Now the nearest shop is Transport Treasures in Aylesbury, or the Alton Model Centre (well, nearest decent shop Dad and I know of).

Simon

Hi,

Sadly, there are no model shops in Wycombe anymore, I managed to grow up with the last model shop in Wycombe which was opposite the B&Q on London Road, which must of closed nearly 10 years ago I should think. I also vaguely remember going to one in the upper level of the Octagon probably 15 years ago, but I can't remember what either of them was called. 

Now the nearest shop is Transport Treasures in Aylesbury, or the Alton Model Centre (well, nearest decent shop Dad and I know of).

Simon

Presumably the one in the Octagon was Keen's. I don't know about the other one. I lived in Loudwater when we first moved to Wycombe, but we moved to out by Hughenden Park when I was 9 and I didn't spend much time at the eastern end of the town after that.

Jim

Whoa! You're another Wycombe to Liverpool transplant? I suspect that we're a fairly exclusive club, given population trends and all.

Jim

Yup, transplanted via a migrant life of Oxfordshire, Leicestershire, Cambridgeshire, Wales and now Merseyside,for my sins. Lol

Hi,

Simon

There used to be a shop in Bourne End, and a bike shop in Aylesbury that sold N gauge of all things.Slough used to have one by the station but that closed in the early 80's, but there was also a small one in Burnham, and a rather terrific one in a newsagents on the outskirts of Windsor (Maidenhead side) plus I remember one in Maidenhead too.

I remember a short lived one in HW around 2003, bottom floor of the octagon. I brought a new Bachmann 37 there.

what about MDR in cook ham ? Used them a few times.

I'm originally from Marlow

Bakers bikes / Toy shop in Aylesbury used to do model railways, that shut many years ago but remember it well old wooden floorboards the smell of rubber, and the models were at the back of the shop. Also had Beatties in the high street upstairs, now a Specsavers store...

Sadly not many model shops around Aylesbury or Wycombe, but do remember the shop around the back of Desborough brought a signal box from there as it had my surname on it haha, again long gone.

I remember a short lived one in HW around 2003, bottom floor of the octagon. I brought a new Bachmann 37 there.

what about MDR in cook ham ? Used them a few times.

I'm originally from Marlow

Not sure about MDR, I think it either closed or changed hands many years ago after the owner moved to Poland, I haven't seen any activity for years, so I should think it's closed.

Simon

Not sure about MDR, I think it either closed or changed hands many years ago after the owner moved to Poland, I haven't seen any activity for years, so I should think it's closed.

Simon

Hi,

MDR is still open and trading.

When Ian the owner moved to Poland he put a manager in place to run the shop.

It’s still worth a visit if you are in the area.

Gordon_D

Many many years go, probably late 60's early 70's I remember visiting a model shop on bridge street between Desborough road and Oxford road. I'm not sure if the name of it but it's been delisted many a year now as the car park has been there years.

I remember dad going to their closing down 'sale' and coming back with sacks (literally) of model railway stuff in all gauges.

There used to be a shop in Bourne End, and a bike shop in Aylesbury that sold N gauge of all things.Slough used to have one by the station but that closed in the early 80's, but there was also a small one in Burnham, and a rather terrific one in a newsagents on the outskirts of Windsor (Maidenhead side) plus I remember one in Maidenhead too.

Not forgetting that Wycombe had a Beatties at one time, next door to Murrays, iirc. I still have a plastic carrier bag from that store somewhere amongst my crap, (yes, I know, sad in the extreme, but it was a rather good carrier bag). Also, there was Jane Ann's in Marlow, just around the corner from Quoiting Square, (spelling ?), where the Wycombe to Marlow/Henley/Reading #27 double deckers paused awhile. I passed by both Childs and Jane Ann's at least twice a day to and from the Tech on Easton Street, when I lived at RAF Medmenham. And there was a very short lived shop at Hazelmere Crossroads, on the left coming from Wycombe, I can't recall the name now.

I'm sure Crownline, famous for their detailing kits, was the shop in Maidenhead. They either moved to or sold the business to someone from Cornwall. I bought a Bullied tender and a Queen Mary brake etched brass kits from Crownline when they were still in Maidenhead, in '85.

Childs was, at one time, on the corner of Queen Victoria Road and Easton Street, next to the rather magnificent Post Office and on the opposite corner to "mod wall", (that dates me), in front of the flower beds and library. So, as it was facing Crendon Street, it was not unknown for the odd lorry to end up in through the front of any shop on that corner.

You recalled Mike Keen in an earlier post and yes I remember him, but is he more likely to be related to MW Keen Photographic? I have no idea, so I'm asking. And were/are the Keen's of model shop fame related to the Keen's of photo shop fame? Again, no idea. I remember MW Keen Photographic being near The Angel in Pauls Row, but it's been decades since I was last in Wycombe, so it may be gone now. Keen's, the model shop was on Bridge Street before it moved to the Octagon, but I seem to recall there was a lengthy period in between the two events.

Is it safe to assume you are a Wycombe trained mould toolmaker/designer? And if so where? Vogue Moulds perhaps, they were just round the back of Childs when Childs were on Desborough Road, Baker Street iirc.

As a Wycombe boy in the 60's I recall that Keens were in Bridge Street before moving into the Octagon from where the owner retired and it closed down.

The shop on the corner of Easton St and Queen Victoria Rd was Davies

Childs were on Oxford road next to W G Hoar's Cycle Shop before it relocated to Desborough Rd opposite Isaac Lord's.

It later closed down and someone bought the title and reopened it in Park Parade Hazlemere where it still is today

Mike Keen was Captain of QPR when they won League Cup vs WBA at Wembley in the 60's. He wasn't connected to MW Keen photographers in Pauls Row (now an eatery). Mike ran the Sport & Ski shop next to what was the Bull pub for many years. He later moved to manage the Helly Hansen store at Bicester Village before passing a away suddenly a few years ago (RIP). His son Kevin was until very recently manager of Colchester United having been with West Ham United

As a Wycombe boy in the 60's I recall that Keens were in Bridge Street before moving into the Octagon from where the owner retired and it closed down.

The shop on the corner of Easton St and Queen Victoria Rd was Davies

Childs were on Oxford road next to W G Hoar's Cycle Shop before it relocated to Desborough Rd opposite Isaac Lord's.

It later closed down and someone bought the title and reopened it in Park Parade Hazlemere where it still is today

Mike Keen was Captain of QPR when they won League Cup vs WBA at Wembley in the 60's. He wasn't connected to MW Keen photographers in Pauls Row (now an eatery). Mike ran the Sport & Ski shop next to what was the Bull pub for many years. He later moved to manage the Helly Hansen store at Bicester Village before passing a away suddenly a few years ago (RIP). His son Kevin was until very recently manager of Colchester United having been with West Ham United

Yes, you are right and I stand corrected, Davis was the shop on the corner of Queen Victoria Road and Easton Street, old farts memory failing me.

Thanks for the info re: Mike Keen and sorry to hear of his passing, so young to. Did he not also own a shop with the Busby brothers in Wycombe? I'm guessing then that he was he not related to either Keen's the model shop or Keen's the photo shop, is that right?

Not forgetting that Wycombe had a Beatties at one time, next door to Murrays, iirc. I still have a plastic carrier bag from that store somewhere amongst my crap, (yes, I know, sad in the extreme, but it was a rather good carrier bag). Also, there was Jane Ann's in Marlow, just around the corner from Quoiting Square, (spelling ?), where the Wycombe to Marlow/Henley/Reading #27 double deckers paused awhile. I passed by both Childs and Jane Ann's at least twice a day to and from the Tech on Easton Street, when I lived at RAF Medmenham. And there was a very short lived shop at Hazelmere Crossroads, on the left coming from Wycombe, I can't recall the name now.

I'm sure Crownline, famous for their detailing kits, was the shop in Maidenhead. They either moved to or sold the business to someone from Cornwall. I bought a Bullied tender and a Queen Mary brake etched brass kits from Crownline when they were still in Maidenhead, in '85.

Childs was, at one time, on the corner of Queen Victoria Road and Easton Street, next to the rather magnificent Post Office and on the opposite corner to "mod wall", (that dates me), in front of the flower beds and library. So, as it was facing Crendon Street, it was not unknown for the odd lorry to end up in through the front of any shop on that corner.

You recalled Mike Keen in an earlier post and yes I remember him, but is he more likely to be related to MW Keen Photographic? I have no idea, so I'm asking. And were/are the Keen's of model shop fame related to the Keen's of photo shop fame? Again, no idea. I remember MW Keen Photographic being near The Angel in Pauls Row, but it's been decades since I was last in Wycombe, so it may be gone now. Keen's, the model shop was on Bridge Street before it moved to the Octagon, but I seem to recall there was a lengthy period in between the two events.

Is it safe to assume you are a Wycombe trained mould toolmaker/designer? And if so where? Vogue Moulds perhaps, they were just round the back of Childs when Childs were on Desborough Road, Baker Street iirc.

Dave & Shiela King moved from Maidenhead to near Truro ,Cornwall and are still going strong.Dave sold Crownline and the new owners made an appearance at St Albans show, but then disappeared without  trace.I believe there was an issue over the transfer of funds regarding the sale of the business

I remember Jane Ann's !

There was also bagatelle toys that did Hornby in Marlow.

I remember getting a class 29 when I was about 6-7.

Is the hardware store in Marlow still seeking model stuff downstairs ?

Archived