The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Jock67B's Cancer Ward (Cancer Support and Discussion Thread)

Andrew P

Thank you all so much for your supportive comments and PMs. It means a lot.

Still in shock about the whole thing - it's very surreal, as though I'm a writer writing this stuff.

Think I may try for a second opinion, or at least ask if they can put a camera on a tube into my stomach and find out about the blockage from the inside rather than the scan.

The plan appears to be that I return home sometime next week to be delivered palliative care by the district nursing team. As I'm unable to process food, the sentence is to be starved to death - which I don't consider particularly humane. Goodness know how agitated (and emaciated) I'll be in a few weeks. So I wonder about the main blockage...

Meantime

• Friendly/supportive 8

I can think of nothing to say which hasn't already been said, a blow that only someone who has been dealt it could ever fully come to terms with.

Our hopes and prayers are with you that a second opinion may deliver a brighter outcome. With that prospect there is always hope.

• RMweb Premium

A friend of my parents lived for more than 30 years after losing most of his stomach and bowel. He was badly shot up at Arnhem and it was the German medics and doctors who saved his life. He did have to stay on a special diet for the rest of his life and strictly no alcohol.

A former flatmate, now well into his 60s, lost a kidney last year. He very nearly felt well enough to travel from Harrogate to Sherborne for a reunion a week later. You may well be surprised at how quickly you buck up, too. I do hope so.

One of my 'secret' targets is a trip to Model Rail at the SECC next month ;)

Angus

• RMweb Premium

Good to hear from you Mal

Please be assured of our thoughts, prayers and best wishes for yourself and Gabe. 

Adopting a positive mental attitude as you are showing here is the best way to be. 

With our best wishes. Rick & Sharon

• Like 5
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

As others have said we are totally numb, especially after the hope from Basingstoke last year, and pleased that you are continuing  to plan the move to make it easier for Gabe. Thinking of you both in our prayers.

Peter

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mal, it’s not often that I’m lost for words, but I am at the moment. 

Thoughts with you and Gabe. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Mal, I salute your bravery and hope that if I was ever in the same situation I could face it like you.

I wish I could offer Scotland the best of luck in their remaining 6 Nations matches but that would be a step too far mate!  :)

Thinking of you and Gabe,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mal, I was only just able to backread a bit on this thread, possibly because the big C has taken people from my own family in the past couple of years and I couldn’t easily summon the courage as a result. It’s definitely not lack of interest, which I feel I need to emphasise...

I wish I could say anything of real meaning, but I have to admit I am completely lost for words (and, yes, gutted, if you want to call it that), given the course of events since December. Whatever‘ll happen, I’m sending thoughts your way and to your family, and shall be hoping that you will not face any suffering.

Got something in my eye now...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4