Murphy's Models 'Air Cons' (Mk2d/e) - BR Versions.

jonathan452

Hi,

I've the EGV in orange with black roof and no IR / IE markings on it.

I think that the orange roof would have been before the black roof version looking at a few pics so that is def IR as well. from looking at a few of the sites from the below the black roof goes back to at least 03. IR was from 87 onwards.

google.ie and search "irish rail coaches fotopic" gives you plenty of sites to brownse for details

The EGV in IE livery with the orange roof will be the same shade of orange as the black roofed version so it won't look out of place having some orange roofed IE liveried coaches running with the black roofed ones and anyway they were so filthy it was hard to tell the difference as I don't think they ever saw the inside of a wash plant. 5605 had an orange roof in 2006 and I don't think it was overhauled before it was withdrawn from traffic. IR will be a darker shade of orange.

Richard,

Its always good to see the Irish model rail scene developing, it wasnt all that long ago that there was nought availible in rtr!

Whats the position on NIR mk2s?

m0rris

NIR Mk 2s were old BR ones that were modified. They were of several different designs, none of which are the same as the IE Mk2D/E

NIR Mk 2s were old BR ones that were modified. They were of several different designs, none of which are the same as the IE Mk2D/E

Almost correct, the first 8 they bought in 1970 were made new for NIR including 547 the bar/diner now with the RPSI. All the others were second hand ex BR Western Region and 8 former Gatwick Express vehicles. Some of them have returned to the UK for further use

• RMweb Premium

Here's some shots taken of some of the AC Mk2s on a Sligo train at Connolly station on August 25th/26th 2003. The window frames on the coaches were a mix of normal flush rivet style and pop rivets. Also, for Jim, here's a shot of two different heights (or should that be depths) of droplights.

Regards

Chris I.

post-3196-098085300 1291241667_thumb.jpg

post-3196-062314900 1291241683_thumb.jpg

post-3196-093799100 1291241694_thumb.jpg

post-3196-096875700 1291241708_thumb.jpg

Also, for Jim, here's a shot of two different heights (or should that be depths) of droplights.

Regards

Chris I.

Particularly interesting.

From what I recall in the pictures of the initial pre production samples on the Murphy's Models website (NOTE these pictures now removed) it looked as if the shallower type of droplight had been used.

Therefore subject to the correct underframe (m/a) details and larger size roof hatches etc (interchangeable mouldings) could a potential BR version for the FO and TSO therefore be a Mk2f?

This type would be the most useful as it was the most numerous of the air cons, had the widest geographical spread, longest lifespan (particularly in front rank service), and the greatest livery variations.

The existing Hornby (ex Airfix/Mainline/Dapol) Mk2d despite its age is of of a sufficiently acceptable standard to complement the above. Particularly useful for ECML formations 1973-79.

On an IRRS tour of Inchicore Works in 2002 the guide told us that IE had obtained doors from the UK to replace doors that were beyond repair due to corrosion. It wasn't unusual to see a coach with a shallow and deeper drop light in a rake.

Richard,

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived