Talywain Big Arch Shed - NCB 1970ish OO: now under new ownership

This is a 5'x1' shunting layout I am building portraying the NCB loco shed at Talywain (South Wales). Inspiration from the wonderful colour images here: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/irishswissernie/sets/72157626693205137/

The shed served Blaenserchan colliery, Talywain Landsale yard and also the BR Exchange Sidings also at Talywain, as well as the wagon repair shed next to the shed (not being modelled due to space, other than maybe a low relief wall along the backscene).

I had been given the baseboard, the track being mainly recovered from a previous layout. I hope to capture something of the run down, grimy atmosphere that is evident in the linked photos. Progress so far:post-28743-0-93310700-1463582064.jpg

The loco stud so far; "Islwyn" is a Barclay 0-6-0 saddle tank that was based at the shed. Body scratchbuilt, on Electrotren Taff Vale chassis. 7754 was also based here around 1970, and is an elderly repainted Mainline model. No.14 standing over the ashpit is a freelance loco converted from an even older Hornby J83!

post-28743-0-21734400-1463582409.jpg

post-28743-0-52237300-1463582473.jpg

The loco shed itself is made from Wills sheets and needs much detailing yet. Forgive the glossy black ground features, they had just been given a preliminary undercoat!

post-28743-0-93763800-1463582656.jpgpost-28743-0-77892000-1463582682.jpg

At the other end of the layout is the "Big Arch" of the name, namely the short tunnel through the embankment of the main BR Pontypool-Blaenavon (iirc) line. the large arch was needed for the access road which also ran through the tunnel to the sidings on the opposite side. When complete it will be possible to look through the tunnel toward the shed.

post-28743-0-54397600-1463583023.jpgpost-28743-0-62099800-1463583104.jpg

Finally, for now, a couple more shots of Islwyn, I was quite pleased how this turned out. I will probably add a DJ Models Austerity, most likely the Mountain Ash version, although Talywain had its own called "Ebbw"; allegedly the wheels were so worn it could only be used for working around the shed area!

More will be added as work progresses.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 17

Nice to see someone taking this up as a layout idea = I had toyed with it myself but never got further than daydreaming about it. Good work - the embankment should make for a useful backdrop.

Adam

Nice to see someone taking this up as a layout idea = I had toyed with it myself but never got further than daydreaming about it. Good work - the embankment should make for a useful backdrop.

Adam

Thanks Adam, yes its quite a high embankment which cuts across the tunnel at about 45 degrees, I'm hoping not to make the backscene so high that it overpowers the fairly small and narrow layout. The other issue will be where the yard line curves through the backscene and trying to disguise the ensuing hole. . . . ! Food for thought anyway. :-)

• 1 month later...

Not done much on the layout as rolling stock and Crinan have taken precedence, however today I picked up a cheap and tatty, but nice running, Dapol J94 at Colwyn MRC's exhibition in Llandudno:

post-28743-0-36881100-1469297159.jpg

If that is a serial number on the box it is indeed a very early one. It will be stripped down, receive a standard chimney and be refinished as "EBBW", one of the Talywain stud, whose wheels were allegedly so worn it could only work in the confines of the yard area. The "interesting" livery will be a challenge as shown on the cover of Irwell's book here: https://www.irwellpress.com/acatalog/SOUTH-WALES-COVER.jpg

May take a while this one!

• 1 month later...

Not a lot of progress on the layout, though a tentative start has been made on painting the backscene using photos of the real place as a guide. Nowadays I would usually go for a photographic backscene, and still may if I'm not happy with the final result.

The Dapol J94 cheapie has become local loco "Ebbw", which was based at Big Arch Shed along with "Islwyn" and 7754. Sadly "Islwyn" and "Ebbw" were both scrapped here in the early-mid 70s after the line closed. A few photos taken today:

post-28743-0-63720000-1474296071.jpgpost-28743-0-06916500-1474296110.jpgpost-28743-0-59408000-1474296287.jpgpost-28743-0-37294400-1474296306.jpg

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Looking good. The Welsh Colliery's do provide some fascinating views for modellers, and with employing some former GWR Panniers as well, some variety for the loco fleet.

Like the stone setts, they look great.

Rich

Looking good. The Welsh Colliery's do provide some fascinating views for modellers, and with employing some former GWR Panniers as well, some variety for the loco fleet.

Like the stone setts, they look great.

Rich

Thanks Rich, being barely bigger than a micro layout it will suffice for moving locos and a few wagons about, would be nice to have had more width to allow the adjacent NCB wagon repair sheds to be included for increased playability, but its a case of working with the available space. At least I should be able to start getting some greenery down soon, once the control panel is sorted! :-)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martyn,

Yes know what you mean! My idea for a small three road industrial yard has kind of grown since i first designed it ... I need to stop or it will need a Hall at the NEC to itself!!

How's your control panel coming on?

Rich

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Martyn,

Yes know what you mean! My idea for a small three road industrial yard has kind of grown since i first designed it ... I need to stop or it will need a Hall at the NEC to itself!!

How's your control panel coming on?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Sorry, only just picked up your reply! Yes I think we all could use "a little more space" sometimes! I'm having to bite the bullet and keep this project minimal, effectively its a test track for my growing fleet of Industrial & other shunting locos, with the ability to test the "Crinan" fleet too if need be (as that resides at my local Model Railway Club.

The control panel is fittingly simple and today has had the last 2 switches fitted (centre off SPDT's for the shed isolating sections). Track power will be from an old Gaugemaster Single Track with "Brake simulator" panel version which has been in a drawer for years, though I may add in a socket for a Handheld Feedback controller via a DPDT switch too.

post-28743-0-92300200-1476197907.jpgpost-28743-0-26458700-1476197927.jpg

Not quite in the same league as Marsh Lane Depot I'm afraid, your locos really do look the business!

Martyn.

Bit more work done, having now completed the wiring (finally), today I have tackled the front facia boards which needed doing before I can start the scenic "greenery".

post-28743-0-66343400-1476198325.jpgpost-28743-0-91565100-1476198350.jpgpost-28743-0-26242200-1476198375.jpgpost-28743-0-42188300-1476198393.jpg

Also a chance to test fit the low relief Wagon Works shed which is built up from Wills Arched Windows and corrugated sheets, and has had a base coat of car primer applied. More relief would have been preferable but I'm stuck with the space available. The keen eyed will notice the semi-circular profile smoke outlet on the loco shed roof; I had been looking for something to replicate this feature and a card tube was found to be ideal, it formerly held sparklers! Cut down each side the thickness of the tube means it keeps its shape and the plastic end stoppers are used with a notch to accomodate the apex of the roof. It will be covered either with strips of masking tape or, less likely, thin plasticard, prior to painting.

Not had chance to do any further work on the backscene, it won't be so garish when finished!

Martyn.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

Sorry, only just picked up your reply! Yes I think we all could use "a little more space" sometimes! I'm having to bite the bullet and keep this project minimal, effectively its a test track for my growing fleet of Industrial & other shunting locos, with the ability to test the "Crinan" fleet too if need be (as that resides at my local Model Railway Club.

The control panel is fittingly simple and today has had the last 2 switches fitted (centre off SPDT's for the shed isolating sections). Track power will be from an old Gaugemaster Single Track with "Brake simulator" panel version which has been in a drawer for years, though I may add in a socket for a Handheld Feedback controller via a DPDT switch too.

IMG_20161011_154126.jpg IMG_20161011_154134.jpg

Not quite in the same league as Marsh Lane Depot I'm afraid, your locos really do look the business!

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

Thanks. I've been very lucky this year being able to built the fleet up a little bit. But I like the way your shed is progressing, stating to get that industrial fleet to it and I have a soft spot for J94s and the Bagnall 0-6-0STs .... but I must resist! Too much BR a blue due out the next 12 months!

Like what you've done with the control panel. I often find simple is the best and easiest .. usually after I've overly complicated something!

Rich

Hi Martyn,

Thanks. I've been very lucky this year being able to built the fleet up a little bit. But I like the way your shed is progressing, stating to get that industrial fleet to it and I have a soft spot for J94s and the Bagnall 0-6-0STs .... but I must resist! Too much BR a blue due out the next 12 months!

Like what you've done with the control panel. I often find simple is the best and easiest .. usually after I've overly complicated something!

Rich

Cheers Rich, like your good self I usually model diesels, used to be 80s but that was when it was almost still the "current scene"! Crinan is set c.1970 so have green and blue Scottish Type 1 & 2's for that. "Big Arch Shed" is also set around the same time so wagons at least are common apart from a few NCB internal users which I have yet to tackle. The shed was steam to the end c.1974; I have 3 of the 5 used there in latter years viz 7754, "EBBW" and "Islwyn", there was another J94, also AB 0-6-0st "Illtyd" which was Islwyn"s brother so may add these at some point. Visitors likely to include an old Kingdom Kits AB 0-4-0st and from Crinan, Hornby Sentinel 4w dh "Crinan Distillery no.2" and Heljan class 05 in use under "Special Modellers License rule no.1"!!!!

I like this. Where did you get the transfers for the locomotives from?

They were made on my PC and printed off on Crafty Computer Co transfer film, there is a bit more info on my workbench thread (see signature bar below). Basically you set the background to suit the loco colour as near as possible, and choose the appropriate font colour/style/size etc, print them on white or clear transfer film and then spray varnish to seal them. They need to be applied at the painting stage (over white paint if using clear film), then retouched around the lettering before varnishing the whole loco. Weathering helps mask any slight colour difference between the transfer background and the paint. I do chevron striping by the same method.

HTH,

Martyn.

• 2 weeks later...

A start has been made on applying the greenery at last. A basic gunge mix of variously coloured cheap scatter and PVA with a little water added, was applied before using a variety of static grasses applied by hand, then a final cover of more static grass applied using a Noch puffer bottle. The short section of track over the "arch" will be tackled next (seen in brown undercoat).

post-28743-0-53982700-1477522707.jpgpost-28743-0-34164100-1477522724.jpg

The low relief shed has now had windows added (glazing still to be fitted) and exterior painting completed. The loco shed concrete floor (plasticard) is largely finished too. The small hut, being tested for position, is based on that glimpsed in various photos of the shed and is a bit small, but as this area is significantly compressed, compromise was needed.

post-28743-0-90412000-1477524227.jpg

If ready the layout may feature at Prestatyn Show (3rd December, see link in signature for more info), watch this space.

• Like 3

Layout is progressing well, almost at the "extra detailing" stage, main work now involves completing the loco shed and interior and immediate surroundings.

Some photos taken outside in fading light whilst waiting for some paint to dry.

post-28743-0-61909100-1478017047.jpgpost-28743-0-54111900-1478017061.jpgpost-28743-0-81633500-1478017102.jpgpost-28743-0-18678600-1478017119.jpgpost-28743-0-76188800-1478017139.jpgpost-28743-0-53518500-1478017151.jpg

NB the class 05 on the "main line" is on loan from Crinan. . . !

The layout will make its Exhibition debut at Wrexham Toy and Hobbies Show next Saturday 5th November, come and say hi if you're in the area. Appropriate it should be in a former coal mining area!

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

One of the final jobs prior to Saturdays debut outing was to fit the safety fence around the "Big Arch". This was achieved using some etched brass stanchions aimed at the model boat community, picked up a few months ago with this in mind. Holes were drilled at regular intervals in the wall capping and posts down one wall fixed in place with 5 minute epoxy. 3 lengths of Steel 0.5mm piano wire were then bent to shape for the top corner and fed one at a time through the posts. All the posts on the other "axis" were then fed onto the 3 wires before themselves being epoxied into their holes. Rather fiddly but I feel it looks the part after a quick coat of grime.

post-28743-0-40785200-1478203483.jpgpost-28743-0-90511000-1478203497.jpg

Found time to test run some locos, hence 7754 and a Barclay 0-4-0ST made an appearance. Neither have run for a while and need maintainance, 7754 being sluggish and the Barclay (Kingdom Kits loco I built about 20 years ago) having always had a slight binding or gear meshing issue, and quite noisy as well as the paintwork needing some attention, although given its P4 profile wheels (all I could get in the correct size at the time) it doesn't derail which surprised me!

post-28743-0-99427900-1478204131.jpgpost-28743-0-00191300-1478204148.jpg

• Like 11

That's a nice little layout and is capturing the feel of the place quite well. A sister to Islwyn is under restoration at Blaenavon in the form of Llantarnam Abbey which also spent time at Big Arch IIRC. One day the railway will return to Big Arch when the Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway extend further southwards down the valley.