Talywain Big Arch Shed - NCB 1970ish OO: now under new ownership

Talywain has today been sold to a new home. Happily I know the purchaser well so will hopefully still be able to see, and perhaps help run it at shows around the North West; I was quite sad to see it go but needs must as I have ideas for other projects and a lack of space, that common problem!

The new owner is a member of this Parish so if he starts a new thread I will link it here, though obviously if he wished, he could continue this one.

My thanks to everyone who has contributed to, or liked this thread.

Martyn.

I am pleased to say Talywain safely arrived in its new home and is up and running. I am intending to keep it on the exhibition circuit so you will more than likely see it at an exhibition near you in the near future. 

The next exhibition it is appearing at is the Rainhill MRC Annual Model Rail Show on 2nd and 3rd March 2019. Where it was due to attend this year but unfortunately due to the unfortunate cancellation was not exhibited. 

I am in the process of building up the fleet of industrial locos ready for its outing, but may have to reduce the height of the layout as I am considerably shorter than Martyn. 

If you need any more information please let me know. Thanks for everything Martyn.

Regards, 

Alastair.

Edited by bearspaw77

I am pleased to say Talywain safely arrived in its new home and is up and running. I am intending to keep it on the exhibition circuit so you will more than likely see it at an exhibition near you in the near future.

The next exhibition it is appearing at is the Rainhill MRC Annual Model Rail Show on 2nd and 3rd March 2019. Where it was due to attend this year but unfortunately due to the unfortunate cancellation was not exhibited.

I am in the process of building up the fleet of industrial locos ready for its outing, but may have to reduce the height of the layout as I am considerably shorter than Martyn.

If you need any more information please let me know. Thanks for everything Martyn.

Regards,

Alastair.

Thanks for the update Alastair, my locos and stock are always on standby should you wish to use them at shows too. Will be nice to see the layout again, looks like I will need to sort something else for your show!

Regards,

Martyn.

I've just come across this thread looking for something slightly different, but enjoyed it as I have some memories of Talywain in the early 1970s.  Unfortunately I missed the Blaenserchan line but have one or two images that I thought you might find helpful.

The first (5410) is a (slightly shaky) view inside the workshop at the rear of the shed.  It was unusual even then to find so much dereliction yet with tools and equipment lying around.

The second (5412) shows derelict wagons at the rear of the wagon repair shop with evidence of kilns from the long-closed British Iron Works behind.

The third (7524) shows the engine shed with ISLWYN visible and the terraced housing of British behind.  Only the row just visible on the extreme left is still standing today.  As I recall, by the time of these photos, ISLWYN was the only working engine (just) and the only work was shunting the landsale yard.

The final one (7520) shows ILLTYD in the shed showing one reason why there are few photos inside the shed - it was rather dark and what light there was came in the wrong direction.

All the photos date from 9th July 1974.

Hope you enjoy these!

Regards,

David Beilby

post-7357-0-34365500-1533660753.jpg

post-7357-0-39989300-1533661425.jpg

post-7357-0-21012900-1533661938.jpg

post-7357-0-04787900-1533662750.jpg

• Like 10

I've just come across this thread looking for something slightly different, but enjoyed it as I have some memories of Talywain in the early 1970s. Unfortunately I missed the Blaenserchan line but have one or two images that I thought you might find helpful.

The first (5410) is a (slightly shaky) view inside the workshop at the rear of the shed. It was unusual even then to find so much dereliction yet with tools and equipment lying around.

The second (5412) shows derelict wagons at the rear of the wagon repair shop with evidence of kilns from the long-closed British Iron Works behind.

The third (7524) shows the engine shed with ISLWYN visible and the terraced housing of British behind. Only the row just visible on the extreme left is still standing today. As I recall, by the time of these photos, ISLWYN was the only working engine (just) and the only work was shunting the landsale yard.

The final one (7520) shows ILLTYD in the shed showing one reason why there are few photos inside the shed - it was rather dark and what light there was came in the wrong direction.

All the photos date from 9th July 1974.

Hope you enjoy these!

Regards,

David Beilby

Hi David,

thanks for your comments.

Wow, what fantastic photos, many thanks for sharing them. First time I've seen a photo of the workshop interior, looks to be a impressive lathe across the end of the shed. Looking at the disorganised state of the place and the date I wonder if the workshop was still used when the photos were taken?

Illtyd presumably had steamed its last too. Such a shame it and Islwyn were cut up on site.

Thanks once again,

Martyn.

• 1 year later...

I too have only just come across this topic, having not had time for a while to visit the forum - I seem to have a little more time available at the moment though...

This looks like a great model and brought back some memories of when I visited the area in 1969 and 1970. Great photos of the prototype as well, it was a very interesting and fascinating place.

Below are a few photos that might add a little to what has gone before. The images are "clickable" and will take you to the photo on my site with full captions. 

GMP_Slide3952_UID37_Abersychan_Talywain_

Shot on the line at the point it crossed over the "Big Arch", looking north.

GMP_Slide3953_NCBLocoShed_Talywain_xx086

Loco shed at "Big Arch" Talywain.

GMP_Slide3956_NCB7754_Talywain_xx0869-L.

Ex-GWR 0-6-0PT No. 7754 with a train of empty wagons for Blaenserchan Colliery.

GMP_Slide3957_NCB7754_Talywain_xx0869-L.

GMP_Slide3962_NCB7754_Talywain_xx0869-L.

7754 returning from Blaenserchan with a loaded train at the summit of the line.

GMP_Slide3963_NCB7754_Talywain_xx0869-L.

GMP_Slide3970_NCB7754_Talywain_xx0869-L.

7754 taking water at the servicing point halfway up the hill.

GMP_Slide5313_NCBPassengerVans_Talywain_

Some of the vans converted for passenger use.

GMP_Slide5314_Rover2000_NCBTalywain_xx07

I had borrowed my father's car to get to Talywain on this occasion!

GMP_Slide5315_GV_NCBTalywain_xx0770-L.jp

The "Big Arch" itself and a foreground building that doesn't seem to appear on the model.

I hope that's of some interest.

Regards, Geoff

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Dampflok said:

I too have only just come across this topic, having not had time for a while to visit the forum - I seem to have a little more time available at the moment though...

This looks like a great model and brought back some memories of when I visited the area in 1969 and 1970. Great photos of the prototype as well, it was a very interesting and fascinating place.

Below are a few photos that might add a little to what has gone before. The images are "clickable" and will take you to the photo on my site with full captions. 

GMP_Slide3952_UID37_Abersychan_Talywain_

Shot on the line at the point it crossed over the "Big Arch", looking north.

GMP_Slide3953_NCBLocoShed_Talywain_xx086

Loco shed at "Big Arch" Talywain.

GMP_Slide3956_NCB7754_Talywain_xx0869-L.

GMP_Slide3957_NCB7754_Talywain_xx0869-L.

GMP_Slide3962_NCB7754_Talywain_xx0869-L.

GMP_Slide3963_NCB7754_Talywain_xx0869-L.

GMP_Slide3970_NCB7754_Talywain_xx0869-L.

7754 taking water at the servicing point halfway up the hill.

GMP_Slide5313_NCBPassengerVans_Talywain_

Some of the vans converted for passenger use.

GMP_Slide5314_Rover2000_NCBTalywain_xx07

I had borrowed my father's car to get to Talywain on this occasion!

GMP_Slide5315_GV_NCBTalywain_xx0770-L.jp

The "Big Arch" itself and a foreground building that doesn't seem to appear on the model.

I hope that's of some interest.

Regards, Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Many thanks for sharing your superb photos, wish I had discovered them before building the layout! 

As regards the servicing point halfway up the hill, was this where the line switched back to go up to Blaenserchan colliery? I think I spotted a makeshift water supply there in another photo. Or was it near the junction for the BR interchange sidings?

Also the small outbuilding which you correctly identify as not being modelled was left out due to space considerations,  plus only finding a distant photo which didn't show it well at the time.

Probably the best photo of the Vans converted for miners to ride in, that I have seen too; they look to have not been used for a while in the photo, but in good condition in what looks like the NCB Black colour of the time.

Thanks again,

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69

Great bit of film there, simon47603 - it certainly brought back some memories for me - though sadly, I never got to Mardy or Mountain Ash...

To go back to Martyn's post, the servicing point on the line towards Blaenserchan was on the almost straight stretch of track above where the line curved through almost 180° - if the link below works:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=51.72753&lon=-3.07673&layers=6&right=BingHyb

it would have been about at the point on the 6" to the mile scale map on the left where the "e" on the end of 'King's Parade' is situated - it shows some sort of footpath or track from the shed area below to a crossing of the railway up towards 'Queen's Parade'. In the picture with the Rover 2000 in the foreground, the small building on the extreme right of the picture, with the red roof below the trees would about mark the position of the servicing point - quite why it was situated there I don't know!

Returning to the film above, here's a shot of "Nora" at Blaenavon and a useful prototype for an old wagon you might not be sure of what to do with!

GMP_Slide3983_NCBNora_Blaenavon_xx0869-L

"Nora" seemed to be somewhat "incontinent", dropping red hot coals from the ashpan wherever she went - this is noticeable in the film as well!

And one from Graig Merthyr:

GMP_Slide4018_NCBAusterity_GraigMerthyr_

This line was another that ran a "Paddy" train using converted vans until quite late in its existence.

Regards, Geoff

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Dampflok said:

Great bit of film there, simon47603 - it certainly brought back some memories for me - though sadly, I never got to Mardy or Mountain Ash...

To go back to Martyn's post, the servicing point on the line towards Blaenserchan was on the almost straight stretch of track above where the line curved through almost 180° - if the link below works:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=51.72753&lon=-3.07673&layers=6&right=BingHyb

it would have been about at the point on the 6" to the mile scale map on the left where the "e" on the end of 'King's Parade' is situated - it shows some sort of footpath or track from the shed area below to a crossing of the railway up towards 'Queen's Parade'. In the picture with the Rover 2000 in the foreground, the small building on the extreme right of the picture, with the red roof below the trees would about mark the position of the servicing point - quite why it was situated there I don't know!

Returning to the film above, here's a shot of "Nora" at Blaenavon and a useful prototype for an old wagon you might not be sure of what to do with!

GMP_Slide3983_NCBNora_Blaenavon_xx0869-L

"Nora" seemed to be somewhat "incontinent", dropping red hot coals from the ashpan wherever she went - this is noticeable in the film as well!

And one from Graig Merthyr:

GMP_Slide4018_NCBAusterity_GraigMerthyr_

This line was another that ran a "Paddy" train using converted vans until quite late in its existence.

Regards, Geoff

Thanks Geoff, very informative, I never knew there was a servicing point at that location.

There was at least one abandoned 16T steel mineral which had derailed on a sharp curve on the gradient down from Blaenserchan (allegedly after youths had released a handbrake and it ran away, derailing in spectacular fashion); I believe due to the location it couldn't be salvaged so was left to rot.

Martyn.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...