Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Stone Age Double Slip

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian, that's great to know, worth a wander through from Stover park next time we're out there! Our kids enjoyed tracing the upper part of the tramway on the moor so I hope there will be some interest at 'the other end'.

Thanks to all the Stover Canal restoration group too!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

During the construction of a new streetcar line, the following was unearthed under the main street of Waterloo, Ontario. This is the remains of a corduroy road constructed (originally) about 200 years ago. Corduroy roads were made from tree trunks laid crosswise. A poem started "Bumpety bump goes the corduroy road." This bit was laid across a bog or swamp.

After being displayed for several weeks (and delaying construction) the logs were removed and sold, very quickly, for souvenirs.

post-6938-0-78316200-1464229979.jpg

• Like 7

Not completely off-topic (but just about) I can remember horse drawn carts running in iron tracks in the granite sets on the hills around Glasgow, although I presume this was more about reducing friction than providing guidance. Probably quite common practice throughout the UK.

During the construction of a new streetcar line, the following was unearthed under the main street of Waterloo, Ontario. This is the remains of a corduroy road constructed (originally) about 200 years ago. Corduroy roads were made from tree trunks laid crosswise. A poem started "Bumpety bump goes the corduroy road." This bit was laid across a bog or swamp.

After being displayed for several weeks (and delaying construction) the logs were removed and sold, very quickly, for souvenirs.

attachicon.gifCordRd_4613.jpg

Somewhat older (pre-Roman) examples of log 'roads' have been found in East Anglia.

• Like 1

Not completely off-topic (but just about) I can remember horse drawn carts running in iron tracks in the granite sets on the hills around Glasgow, although I presume this was more about reducing friction than providing guidance. Probably quite common practice throughout the UK.

Hi Andy

I've not heard of this before so maybe not so common. A distinction has been made between complete guided transport systems such as railways  and individual  guidance elements to assist conventional vehicles in particular spots

Hi Andy

I've not heard of this before so maybe not so common. A distinction has been made between complete guided transport systems such as railways  and individual  guidance elements to assist conventional vehicles in particular spots

Hi David,

Now I'm beginning to wonder if my mind is playing tricks on me   :)

I did quite a bit of googling and I can't find any evidence of the iron tracks although I did find an example of long granite insets in Leith for the same purpose. As I recall, the iron versions were of similar width with flanges on both sides. The running surface was perhaps an inch below the level of the granite setts.

The location I (think I) remember was on the north-east side of Glasgow. We were probably coming from Stirling and heading home to Paisley. This would have been mid to late 50's.

Andy

This is the remains of a corduroy road constructed (originally) about 200 years ago. Corduroy roads were made from tree trunks laid crosswise.

War of 1812 perhaps?

There are many references to engineers building corduroy roads to move armies through the wilds of North America from colonial times through the Civil war. There are references to them by Sherman army in the tidelands of Georgia and South Carolina.

They were still used during the second world war to traverse permafrost in building what would become the ALCAN highway.

• RMweb Premium

Not the war. This was built by a mill owner who had his mill on one side of a bog and there were a lot of farmers down south. The creek that fed the bog has now disappeared in the downtown area.

Much of the area was settled by Mennonites who had migrated from Pennsylvania.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...