Upcoming O gauge sale - End of the line at Marsh Lane

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Pete,

Thats really useful advice - Given your comments, I think I'll take a look at Shapeways!  See how I get on with dealing with the CAD sides first though!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Well after a week that sounds something like the title of a film "670 miles, 4 days, one wedding, one funeral, and a photographic day" I'm back to doing a bit of modelling!!  I'll reveal more soon, but rather than say what I'm doing, then the weekend go to pot and not actually achieve it, I'll stay quiet!

As I half predicted today didn't quite go according to plan!  However, one unexpected upside was the ability to move the Metrocar CAD on a fair way.  Now I'm new to CAD, still very much learning the ropes, thanks to a good mate of mine, but I've taken the cab shell that you all saw in a printed version earlier in the week, and have started adding the bodyshell.  Thought you might be interested to see some of the CAD work...

post-16721-0-76162200-1503772736_thumb.png

post-16721-0-00135800-1503772743_thumb.png

post-16721-0-33328900-1503772748_thumb.png

Its coming slowly, but I always said this project wasn't one to be rushed.

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

A bit more progress with the Metrocar CAD - which is moving quicker now I'm doing it myself!  Given this is the first thing I've ever designed in CAD, I'm very pleased with how its working!

post-16721-0-56689200-1504037903_thumb.png

post-16721-0-83262200-1504037911_thumb.png

post-16721-0-63440900-1504037921_thumb.png

post-16721-0-55710200-1504037933_thumb.png

More views on the thread on the CAD section if anyone wants to take a look, click here!

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rich,

Cracking job! Not my era or interest, but your CAD work looks very good. Shows what can be achieved, I hope the next steps - turning it into a model - work well too!

Best

Simon

Thanks for the kind comments Simon!  Im really getting to grips with the CAD software now. I've spent some time today sorting out the new centre cab bodyshell for my Fowler 0-4-0DM shunter.  Some of you may recall (earlier this year) I mentioned I had plans to follow Chris Klein's example on creating a centre cab version of the Fowler Diesel (mentioned here, and an example of the real thing is here.).  Well I drew up some 2D drawings, which Phil at Intentio very kindly played around with some initial cuts, however for a variety of reasons, mainly time, I haven't made much progress with it.  

Given my new found ability to use CAD software, I thought it was about time to pick it up and get it finished and sorted, so have been working on it today - from a blank sheet at 2pm, Im quite pleased with it ....

post-16721-0-18054100-1504306641_thumb.png

post-16721-0-87023000-1504306647_thumb.png

post-16721-0-24245200-1504306652_thumb.png

post-16721-0-45555600-1504306659_thumb.png

Still work to do on it, and detail to add - but its looking quite good.  Im thinking of having this 3D printed before the Metrocar, to get some experience of the plastics and how it all works - also to see what detail can be printed, and what is too fine to print.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Finished the Fowler Centre Cab this afternoon, trying to hide my disappointment at not getting to Telford this year!  Eager to find out whats next from Minerva!

Here's the finished CADs for the Fowler Centre Cab however, it should fit on the Ixion Fowler Chassis ok, if I've got my measurements right.  If anyone notices any missing bits, please shout.  Its not an exact copy of the one pictured in the previous post, but really close to it - close enough for me! Next job is to get one produced and try it!

post-16721-0-89090700-1504367749_thumb.png

post-16721-0-72763700-1504367756_thumb.png

post-16721-0-89755000-1504367762_thumb.png

post-16721-0-22989500-1504367769_thumb.png

Rich

• Like 2

Finished the Fowler Centre Cab this afternoon, trying to hide my disappointment at not getting to Telford this year!  Eager to find out whats next from Minerva!

Here's the finished CADs for the Fowler Centre Cab however, it should fit on the Ixion Fowler Chassis ok, if I've got my measurements right.  If anyone notices any missing bits, please shout.  Its not an exact copy of the one pictured in the previous post, but really close to it - close enough for me! Next job is to get one produced and try it!

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-09-02 at 16.47.03.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-09-02 at 16.47.12.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-09-02 at 16.47.20.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-09-02 at 16.47.50.png

Rich

That looks superb, Rich, it's going to make an impressive little loco ! 

Only thing I would suggest ( and I have no experience of 3D CAD or 3D Printing) is that the smaller details such as airhorns and handles/handrails, and possibly, the exhaust stack and buffers, may be a problem to the print process.  If I was building this myself, I would prefer these be left off the finished print and let me fit them myself from brass wire, etc or the infinite range of parts commercially available for detailing. May even be able to scavenge some of these parts from the original model.

Are you planning to have the body and footplate printed as a single piece ? Might be an idea to print body and footplate as separate parts - would make getting into the cab for detailing and painting a lot easier !

Metrocar looks good too ! You're really getting the hang of this CAD malarkey !  I was looking on Shapeways the other day at G scale stuff, and noticed that some of the kits on there for the larger scales ( 0 gauge and upwards) can be really expensive, presumably due to the machine time and volume of plastic used - just a note of caution ! Some of the LGB sized loco kits were several hundred pounds !

Best of luck with them both, looking forward (whichever way is 'forward' ! ) to the centre cab being finished !

Like what Andi said!.

I`m sure there would be a few poeple out there that would like one of those for themselves Rich,nice job....

Brian.

Edited by Tove

• RMweb Gold

Only thing I would suggest ( and I have no experience of 3D CAD or 3D Printing) is that the smaller details such as airhorns and handles/handrails, and possibly, the exhaust stack and buffers, may be a problem to the print process.  If I was building this myself, I would prefer these be left off the finished print and let me fit them myself from brass wire, etc or the infinite range of parts commercially available for detailing. May even be able to scavenge some of these parts from the original model.

Are you planning to have the body and footplate printed as a single piece ? Might be an idea to print body and footplate as separate parts - would make getting into the cab for detailing and painting a lot easier !

Metrocar looks good too ! You're really getting the hang of this CAD malarkey !  I was looking on Shapeways the other day at G scale stuff, and noticed that some of the kits on there for the larger scales ( 0 gauge and upwards) can be really expensive, presumably due to the machine time and volume of plastic used - just a note of caution ! Some of the LGB sized loco kits were several hundred pounds !

Best of luck with them both, looking forward (whichever way is 'forward' ! ) to the centre cab being finished !

Thanks Andi,

Thats a valid point, and one I had thought about - I'm sure there are better air horns etc, than I'm able to draw!  The buffers are purely on for my reference, and my intention is to replace them with sprung versions, so the buffer head and shaft won't be on the actual print.  I'd left handrails and the air horns on to see how 3D printing copes with detail.  I've never 3D printed anything before, so this is very much a one step forward, two steps back process!  I decided rather than keep doing different and getting the detailing a bit finer and smaller each time, I'd go the extreme of 'in an ideal world' and see how it comes out, then I know for future reference, what is feasible and what isn't.  But yes, overall I think your comment about adding them separately would be the best if I were to do a second print.

I do like your thought about printing the chassis plate and bodyshell separately to allow access to the cab, not thought of that one!  One issue with this loco is that because im using the Ixion Fowler Chassis, that was designed for a cab at one end, the motor is centrally mounted, so there is no way of getting around the fact that it comes into the cab area - but im happy to live with that for this project.  The point of saying this is that there isn't much room in there anyway!  Although having said that, I need to find a way of adding the flush glazing etc, once the print has been done.

Have to say im really enjoying the CAD process, and im very fortunate in having a mate teaching me who has worked with CAD software for 20 odd years and hasn't yet got tired of a "HEELLLLLLLPP!!" phone call lol!  Although in all honesty, there's only been a couple of those!! All of this of course is the build up to starting work on the big Di8 bogie diesel model, although that will likely end up as a a brass sheet rather than 3D print on cost grounds.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Like what Andi said!.

I sure there would be a few poeple out there that would like one of those for themselves Rich,nice job....

Brian.

Thanks Brian!

Our posts crossed I think!  You never know ... the odd one or two might even appear on eBay ;)

Rich

Thanks Brian!

Our posts crossed I think!  You never know ... the odd one or two might even appear on eBay ;)

Rich

That`s a good idea,it could help to cover some of your development cost`s.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

If you are going to use Shapeways for printing, you could market it through their website ......

Hi Andy,

Yes thats a thought.  I've just run it through the pre-flight checks on their website, and as suspected the handrails and horn fail because of thickness, but they are easy to remove.  Interestingly the entire frame and box has come up at about £82 for printing, which considering its size, in O gauge, and the amount of detail on their, I thought was quite good.  I am, however, giving some thought to acquiring a 3D printer now ;)

Rich

Hi Andy,

Yes thats a thought.  I've just run it through the pre-flight checks on their website, and as suspected the handrails and horn fail because of thickness, but they are easy to remove.  Interestingly the entire frame and box has come up at about £82 for printing, which considering its size, in O gauge, and the amount of detail on their, I thought was quite good.  I am, however, giving some thought to acquiring a 3D printer now ;)

Rich

I nearly bought one a couple of years ago - there was one for sale in a local second-hand shop for £200 - but, I backed down as I couldn't see a printer that cheap being of much use to me at the time !

The horns and other details are not a problem in the CAD software so long as you can draw at high resolution, it's the limitations of the printing process that cause most of the issues with detail due to the resolution of the printer. Generally speaking, from what I have been able to glean from 'tinterweb, if buying your own printer, the more they cost the better the resolution, and therefore, the less tidying up will be required on the final form. From what I have seen recently, there are some really good 'hobbyist' 3D printers around now, but, they may not be big enough to do your centre cab loco in one shot. You may need to split it into 'panels' or at least 'modules' (chassis/footplate/frame, front bonnet, rear bonnet, cab, etc).

There are a number of sellers on eBay selling 3D printed kits for locos and rolling stock, in various gauges, might be worth a look to see what is available and what the printed, unfinished items are looking like.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy,

Thats useful information. I've been looking around and there is one on eBay at the moment, which looking at YouTube and the web seems to have good reviews, but im the same as you, one for £250 somehow I doubt that it can be great.  A couple of YouTube videos show that upgrading the ink nossle and changing the bed to glass gives a dramatic improvement in the print quality, but it does seem a little Heath Robinson so to speak!  Really need to read up before I do anything else.

While I'm on, can anyone help that has used, or has some Slaters plunger pick-ups?  My plan is to fit pick-ups to the bogie of my Metrocar, which is likely to be powered from the OHL, with the rails acting as a common return.  I want to get the positioning holes on the 3D bogie model, but I cannot find any dimensions anywhere.  I've 'borrowed' the attached picture from Jim McGowen's website (apologies to him, if it causes any offence please let me know) because it was the only way I could describe the measurements I want easily!

post-16721-0-28310400-1504434725.jpg

Basically I need to know what size hole is needed in the frames and what the minimum distance is from the wheel back to the frame?  Can anyone help?

Rich

Edited by MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

While I'm on, can anyone help that has used, or has some Slaters plunger pick-ups?  My plan is to fit pick-ups to the bogie of my Metrocar, which is likely to be powered from the OHL, with the rails acting as a common return.  I want to get the positioning holes on the 3D bogie model, but I cannot find any dimensions anywhere.  I've 'borrowed' the attached picture from Jim McGowen's website (apologies to him, if it causes any offence please let me know) because it was the only way I could describe the measurements I want easily!

attachicon.gifpickup components photo.jpg

Basically I need to know what size hole is needed in the frames and what the minimum distance is from the wheel back to the frame?  Can anyone help?

Rich

Guys,

Can anyone help with the above?

Ta

Rich

Guys,

Can anyone help with the above?

Ta

Rich

Rich the Dia for slater plungers hole is 3.9mm and 27mm to make sure they are in constant contact with the tires on the wheels at all times under all conditions.

Those dimensions are before you fit the pickups.

Edited by Pete Harvey

• RMweb Gold

Rich the Dia for slater plungers hole is 3.9mm and 27mm to make sure they are in constant contact with the tires on the wheels at all times under all conditions.

Those dimensions are before you fit the pickups.

Pete,

Your a star - many thanks.

Rich

before you buy a printer, speak to Alan Buttler of Modelu.  I'm sure he can provide some relevant info as he has one.

best

Simon

Thanks Simon.  Whether I'll actually buy one or not is another matter! But they certainly do look good.  Thanks for the thought about Alan Buttler.

Rich

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well the first delivery from Shapeways arrived this morning.  One trailing bogie, one motor bogie with motor harness, and a couple of other things that were purely testbeds really, but that I did with the aim of seeing how far you could push this 3D printing!

Firstly a look at the bogies, this is the trailing bogie. Apologies, these are just taken on the iPhone under a fluorescent light.

post-16721-0-23500500-1507155023_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-55795100-1507155028_thumb.jpg

The motor bogie is the same basic design, but without the top pivot and including the engine mounting block instead.

post-16721-0-73101600-1507155032_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-59624400-1507155037_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-86551400-1507155042_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-45705400-1507155050_thumb.jpg

All in all I think they have worked very well. Very impressed that the brake block detail survived and worked ok too.  Next task is to acquire some slaters axles and wheels to fit into them and give them a manual test run!  If that works, then the crown and pinion will be added, the motor fitted in the cradle and that test run.  If that all works ok, then I'll move to having the full vehicle printed.  Also need to get these sprayed up and see how they look.

To really get a feel for 3D and what was and was not viable, I also came up with the design for an OHL mast in 7mm.  I know these can be very bespoke to the location, but really as a starting point, I'm quite pleased.   Its not right, the rods and the 'H' are too thick, they need skimming down a bit, but the insulator has worked quite well.  The two pieces of wire that link the diagonal to the horizontal arm were done as 0.7mm plastic, and are too brittle, if I printed any more they need to be removed, replaced by small holes in the plastic so that proper wire or thin rod could be added, but it goes to show just what can be done.  I doubt they'll replace my original thought of plastic 'H' shape and welding rod tho!

post-16721-0-76348500-1507155000_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-94399700-1507155007_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-88620000-1507155012_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-64805900-1507155018_thumb.jpg

Rich

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well I thought it was about time I provided an update, although in all honesty it’s not going to be a long or in-depth one!

Things are moving forward slowly. Proposals for the larger garage area have hit a snag involving neighbours, which I’m trying to resolve, but it’s looking 50/50 on the outcome at present. So I’ve decided to push things along with my photo diorama and test track, so moves are underway, very slowly as work and family life seem to be taking 110% of time at the moment. If I could go without sleep I might get some modelling done!!! So more on infrastructure to follow anon.

I’ve recently acquired a kit-built TPO vehicle, courtesy of Chris Stafford, which at first I thought might have been an impulse buy for the wrong reasons and I was going to sell it on, but on hindsight decided to hold on to it. Needs couplings and corridor connections adding (I’m sure I’ve seen some concertina card ones somewhere - anyone any ideas?) but other than that is a very nice addition to the parcels stock.

I’ve decided I really need to learn weathering, so may take the plunge on a cheap wagon to practice on! However, in the short term, my ‘Peak’ And Railfreight Red Stripe 37 have been dispatched to my mate in Sheffield for numbering and weathering, along with a couple of minor upgrades, and I’m hoping that the two Class 20s will gain Paul Chetter Sound chips shortly. One of the 20s is currently fitted with a Loksound chip with SWD sounds, that will be removed (it’s in perfect condition, I just prefer the Zimo chips) so if anyone wants an ESU Loksound XL chip, pm me with an offer! All reasonable and sensible offers considered!! It could be reblown by anyone that does sounds for ESU of course.

The next Class 47 in the fleet (I’ve acquired four now!) is also going for repaint into a livery that I’ve rarely seen modelled, so more on that when it arrives back after Christmas!

I’ve also completed a review of what is going to be disposed off, that includes a Bachmann Brass DCC Sound fitted 08, a Dapol DC Green liveried 08 - a change of plans means I really don’t need six 08s! Two/three should be enough. One of my Dapol blue 08s has already been renumbered and sold to a mate. A couple of wagon models, including a Lionheart four-wheeled tank are also being evicated. Think they are on the G0G Sales site already but will seek to move them on soon.

Still progressing with the Tyne & Wear Metro CAD, more on the dedicated thread (see signature) when I get chance.

Hopefully another update in a couple of weeks, when hopefully trackwork and layout plans will feature. An advance to Martin of Templot fame for his help!!

Cheerio for now!

Rich

post-16721-0-69647800-1508881827_thumb.jpeg

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 5