Upcoming O gauge sale - End of the line at Marsh Lane

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Rich

If you buy the coaches, and you can live with a simple livery, why not have a go yourself?  Rattle can primers and rattle can topcoats are really not bad at all, Frog masking tape, lots of newspaper, and keep your fingers crossed.   If it doesn't work, an hour or two in the paint-stripper and you're back to square one, and if it does, transfers are available for most if not all variants.  If you want lining, well, then you're on your own!

But if the coaches cost X and you pay Y for the paint and transfers, and possibly Z for the interiors, lights, little people, etc, you might find that the Dapol & MTH 4-coach sets are attractively priced!  (I know the MTH offerings are LMS stock)

Regarding the layout - it's a cracking plan but there's one hell of a lot of it.  Might I suggest you work it in phases?  Get a single track down and running, ideally with all the points that it will need, so you don't have to lift it, and possibly with a "cut through" inside the scenic break to avoid going down into the FY - this will get you started so you have something running.  Otherwise, the mojo may head off on holiday, when you aren't...

watching with great interest

best

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Having a quick look at work, but thats a thought actually.  I may yet think about that one further for the coaches.

Yes agree entirely with your layout comments.  The fiddle yard all needs to be laid, wired up, tested and track circuits fitted before anything else can be done.  Once that is sorted then my plan is to get the 'Up Main' in so I can run things, followed by 'Up Goods' then the Down Main and Down Loop.  Next will be Platform 3, the two-way goods and yard headshunt, followed by the small yard, and finally the goods yard.  So all little steps that as each are achieved give a 'tick' in the box.  The points are minimal for the main line, only about 11 in total (if you remove the Goods yard from the equation for now), the bit I am not looking forward to are the double slips and scissor crossovers!  They may take some time and I think a practice before hand will be required!

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Having given a bit more thought to the layout while at work yesterday, I realised that if I stick with the 1980s period, then the bay platform becomes superfluous really - it was only included to hold an AutoCoach and Pannier/Autotank.  If I stay 1980s, then it can come out, potentially with the bay being modelled as having been removed.  That also means that the link into the bay from the Down Loop, which was a tightest curve anyway, could also be removed, making the signalling a bit simpler.  

Can anyone think of any locations where locomotives were stabled, just beyond the platforms in a couple of holding sidings.  I don't mean big depots like Bath Road adjacent to Temple Meads, but just simple couple of sidings and bufferstops, no fuel, no servicing shed?  Wondering if that may work as an alternative, accessed off the Down Loop?

Rich

• Like 1

Can anyone think of any locations where locomotives were stabled, just beyond the platforms in a couple of holding sidings.  I don't mean big depots like Bath Road adjacent to Temple Meads, but just simple couple of sidings and bufferstops, no fuel, no servicing shed?  Wondering if that may work as an alternative, accessed off the Down Loop?

Rich

Newport Godfrey Road, Pantyffynnon - https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?location=Pantyffynnon&img=B-93-05

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys,

Ian, Pantyffynnon and Newport are both good examples thanks for that. Having photographed locos on Newport in the old days, I should perhaps have thought about that one!!

Guide bridge stabiling point far right
https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/locomotives/47/hA105E3F1
And the stabiling point
https://flic.kr/p/91WPBZ

Brian

Brian, thanks  - again Guide Bridge is another good example. Will have to have a look at all of those and see if anything similar can be created in the space available.

Rich

• Like 1

Afternoon all,

Having given a bit more thought to the layout while at work yesterday, I realised that if I stick with the 1980s period, then the bay platform becomes superfluous really - it was only included to hold an AutoCoach and Pannier/Autotank.  If I stay 1980s, then it can come out, potentially with the bay being modelled as having been removed.  That also means that the link into the bay from the Down Loop, which was a tightest curve anyway, could also be removed, making the signalling a bit simpler.  

Rich

That's my idea with Seven Mill Sidings, the Station is the other side of the bridge / Fiddle Yard. Nice idea.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy,

I'll make sure I don't copy what your doing :) Interestingly that shot of Guide Bridge Depot on Flickr that Brian linked to is part of a fascinating group called 'BR 1980s Depots, Works and Stabling Points'. https://www.flickr.com/groups/3180088@N21/

That has also thrown up Cockshute Sidings at Stoke-on-Trent as another similar style location.

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Rich.

I refer to your post of yesterday describing your latest track plan and, in particular, to the tightness of some of the curves you are considering - all in relation to Dingham couplings.  

I don't think we talked about how they fared on curves, other than to say coupling/uncoupling on curves is not very successful (if at all).  I have also found that on my layout - where the minimum curve is 6' - the Dinghams between a bogie coach and a long engine do tend to strain.  I think this is because of the overhang on the Mark 1s and a longer loco such as the Class 50.  I've had no derailments, but occasionally I've noticed a bit of a tilt in a coach.  In theory this could be overcome by having the couplings pivot sideways.  Shorter wheelbase vehicles would, I feel, be less likely to have the problem.

The manufacturer did not recommend springs and split pins as the couplings work best when they are fixed in the buffer beam, although the shank of the hook is fitted with a number of holes which seem to be designed for split pins.  However, he did recognise there were times when modellers may wish to use them.  He did supply springs but I've just seen on his website (here:  http://www.dingham.co.uk/) that from January 2018 he can no longer supply them.  I'm pretty sure that some could be found if you searched on the internet, though.

So, I'd suggest you should test some on some of your sharper curves just to make sure they do meet your needs on tight radii and before you get too advanced with your layout building.

HTH.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver

Hi Rich. Eastleigh station has the loco stabling point next to the station. Also Carlisle off the end of the platform at the South end of the station.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich.

I refer to your post of yesterday describing your latest track plan and, in particular, to the tightness of some of the curves you are considering - all in relation to Dingham couplings.  

I don't think we talked about how they fared on curves, other than to say coupling/uncoupling on curves is not very successful (if at all).  I have also found that on my layout - where the minimum curve is 6' - the Dinghams between a bogie coach and a long engine do tend to strain.  I think this is because of the overhang on the Mark 1s and a longer loco such as the Class 50.  I've had no derailments, but occasionally I've noticed a bit of a tilt in a coach.  In theory this could be overcome by having the couplings pivot sideways.  Shorter wheelbase vehicles would, I feel, be less likely to have the problem.

Rod

Hi Rod,

Thanks for that.  The tightness of curves is the one problem with the space I have.  I'll take a look at that. 

He does say on the website "Properly adjusted couplers on 4-wheel wagons will couple and uncouple readily on curves of 4ft 6in radius or less." The only curves where vehicles would be coupled/uncoupled will be in Platform 3 and the two-way goods at the back of the station, or the Down Loop/Up Goods at the bottom of the above plan, so I think all should be ok, as all of those are at just 4' 6" if not more.  but once the fiddle yard is down, I'll get a couple of wagons converted and see what happens.  Thanks for the thought.

Hi Rich. Eastleigh station has the loco stabling point next to the station. Also Carlisle off the end of the platform at the South end of the station.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Oh course - you know your mind goes blank when your sat thinking.  Should have remembered those two!

I am thinking that a couple of sidings, possible 3' long and capable of holding two 18" long locos, behind the station, accessed off the Down Loop would probably be the answer to the problem.  Bit of a shuffle to and from the yard but relatively easy to access.

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Rod,

Thanks for that.  The tightness of curves is the one problem with the space I have.  I'll take a look at that. 

He does say on the website "Properly adjusted couplers on 4-wheel wagons will couple and uncouple readily on curves of 4ft 6in radius or less." The only curves where vehicles would be coupled/uncoupled will be in Platform 3 and the two-way goods at the back of the station, or the Down Loop/Up Goods at the bottom of the above plan, so I think all should be ok, as all of those are at just 4' 6" if not more.  but once the fiddle yard is down, I'll get a couple of wagons converted and see what happens.  Thanks for the thought.

Hi Peter,

Oh course - you know your mind goes blank when your sat thinking.  Should have remembered those two!

I am thinking that a couple of sidings, possible 3' long and capable of holding two 18" long locos, behind the station, accessed off the Down Loop would probably be the answer to the problem.  Bit of a shuffle to and from the yard but relatively easy to access.

Rich

I think that would look good, Just thought of two more, Ipswich and Cambridge.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Hope everyone is well. Work has very kindly decided to give me a couple of days off ... read all annual leave has to be used before end of October! Our annual leave allowance runs November - October, so a few days off I am taking!

The upside is that I have some piece and quiet in the house. Having been reflecting on the layout plan for the loft I decided that I really needed some more practice pointbuilding before getting into the elaborate points of the above plan. Now some of you may remember from the dim and distant past that I do have a small O gauge layout (what I call my test track) down the side of my home office. It’s 13ft long, starts off 6” wide for 3ft, then goes to a foot wide for 7 feet and finally 2 ft wide for the last three feet. First laid over 7 years ago as a pure DCC, some faulty connections have meant that it hasn’t really been used this year.

So inspired by the ease and usability of the sector plate on AndyP’s new S&D layout (!) I’ve taken the decision to refurbish this first before starting the new layout, at least then the locos can have a run! It will be basically the same track layout as now, but with a new sector plate, hand built track instead of Peco and Marcway, the laser cut shed building that I built last year will be brough into use, and the track electronics will be wired in traditional DC style with independently controlled sections running through DPDT centre off switches to allow all or part of the layout to be operated on DCC. That way, those locos that are not DCC fitted yet can still be operated.

So this was the scene yesterday...

post-16721-0-16815400-1538687289_thumb.jpeg

First thing this morning we were at this stage

post-16721-0-16131200-1538687338_thumb.jpeg

... By lunchtime things looked a bit derelict ...

post-16721-0-09491200-1538687375_thumb.jpeg

.... But by this evening, the baseboards had been cleared of all ballast remains ...

post-16721-0-27324000-1538687506_thumb.jpeg

... and the laser cut shed is in a rough position

post-16721-0-93962300-1538687583_thumb.jpeg

Because of the pits under the shed, I am faced with two options. Either cut a hole in the original baseboards to allow the shed to sit flat and the pits to hang below, or sit the pits on the normal baseboard and then build a new trackbed about half an inch higher. I am thinking the latter option is best as it will allow the front two sidings to be slightly lower, and thereby breaking up the flatness of the layout.

Hopefully more progress to be made tomorrow.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a slow day today, but some progress, albeit not much! The Templot plan has been run off by my local printer. Still have the timber shoving to do on this, but this version will only be used for plain line construction and building positioning. This has shown that the positioning of the front two roads, at a lower level need to be moved to allow clearance of the shed building and to allow a concrete walkway to be built.

post-16721-0-26986200-1538764261_thumb.jpeg

The half-inch-high baseboard has been built to raise up the two roads to the fiddle Yard and the shed area to allow the pits to clear the original bottom baseboard.

post-16721-0-60608700-1538764402_thumb.jpeg

Sorry for the crap picture! Forgot to take it until after I’d laid the Templot plan down!

Also nice to see the old shed building lit again.

post-16721-0-28455700-1538764493_thumb.jpeg

Aim is to get the baseboards finished off tomorrow, with the cutout for shed building.

Rich

• Like 4

1980’s is the way to go. Steam will only drag you away from what I can tell you really want. Use the kettle money to buy 56’s.

Wolverhampton stabled locos opposite the station, Salisbury and Rugby parked locos in bay platforms, but you could always make a Pacer

Edited by 47606odin

• RMweb Gold

1980’s is the way to go. Steam will only drag you away from what I can tell you really want. Use the kettle money to buy 56’s.

Wolverhampton stabled locos opposite the station, Salisbury and Rugby parked locos in bay platforms, but you could always make a Pacer

Lol! Thanks Odin! The test layout, or Depot that is being rebuilt, has always been region indifferent, being very generic. So you may well see some Minerva, Dapol and/or Heljan steam locos on there soon! But diesels to strat with!

Hi Rich,

I like the new layout idea. The 3 way point should be fun to build. The shed looks great with the lights in the pit. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, this isn’t replacing the big layout in the loft, but I thought that seen as I had this test layout I may as well get some use out of it. It’s also provided an ideal opportunity to practice building pointwork before the main layout is started. Being down one side of the office it means that the O gauge can be used more frequently, as it is easy to simply switch on and run for 5 to 10 minutes then switch off and get on with some work!!

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Work has progressed today. Not much visibly, but quite a bit done.

The shed lights have been tested and the fault found, a dry shoulder joint being the problem. In addition the location of the pits Has been cut from the upper baseboard and the shed building now sits in correctly. The positioning of the front two roads has been adjusted now that I know where the shed comes to.

Tomorrow’s task is to cut part of the upper baseboard away to allow the feeder for these front two roads to slope down by half-an-inch to the lower baseboard level. The board has been marked ready for cutting, so hopefully that will get done, and the next baseboard riser will be built. Another day off on Monday, so with any luck some trackwork will go down, but then its back to work on Tuesday!

Today’s progress...

post-16721-0-14477300-1538853209_thumb.jpeg

post-16721-0-29931800-1538853227_thumb.jpeg

post-16721-0-46258600-1538853246_thumb.jpeg

Rich

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Actually got the computer back on the desk tonight, so this is the first of these posts to be written on a normal keyboard and not the iPad!  Productive day today, the second baseboard riser has been constructed and put in place, a 'wedge' has been removed from the previous one to allow the access line to the front two sidings to drop down in height, and a three-and-a-half foot long slope as been fitted.  

A bit lightweight on pictures, as I've concentrated on getting everything done, also the light level was dropping so they aren't the best, but this is where we stand this evening...

post-16721-0-91193600-1538947454_thumb.jpg

This shows the wedge shape that has been cut out of the first baseboard riser- this one being 14 inches wide at the far end, by 6 foot long -  (these just lift the trackbed up half-an-inch) to allow the pits in the shed building to clear the original baseboard.  The board in the foreground is around 4-5" inches wide and will contain the pointwork that gives access to the front two sidings.  The gradual drop to the original baseboard level is clearly visible.

post-16721-0-79570100-1538947461_thumb.jpg

Another view showing where the shed building will go, and the headhunt to the rear, along with the front sidings very loosely placed.  These are using Peco meter lengths and one of the original Marcway points.  The actual trackwork will all be hand-built, and the new point is a lot shallower angle!

post-16721-0-59963200-1538947494_thumb.jpg

Finally just a view showing how the first baseboard riser, links to the second.  There are two lines running from the sector plate to the shed, while a point will send a third line on to the front board, down the ramp to the stabling sidings.

Last day off tomorrow, so I am hoping to get the wiring sorted for both track power and lights to the shed building, and also to get the headshunt trackwork built (best laid plans!) so that the shed can then be put in position and it doesn't have to be moved again.  The rest of the trackwork can then be built around it over the coming weeks as and when time allows!

Rich

Looking good, Rich.  I do like the interior of the shed, particularly the lights in the pits.

Rod

Rod thanks for the comment.

I must say, the shed was totally scratch built with no plans just straight out of my head onto 2D drawings and laser cut.  Yes there are faults, and I've realised some things should have been done differently, but overall for my first scratch-built model I am really pleased with it, especially as its now being used!!  Need to find some way of slating the roof (by which I mean covering it!!).  I think York Modelmaking who did the laser cut for me, do some roofing options might look at that.

Rich

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well another day concludes, but a successful one. I cannot recall the last time I had four continuous days modelling and enjoyed it!

The day has been spent sorting out the electrics for the shed lighting and track feeds, with the net result that the first DC powered movements on the new shed took place tonight. All of the lighting is now operational, with the original wiring lengthened, ready to connect back to switches on the new control panel. The shed has been successfully located in its new home and does look good if I say so myself.

I didn’t get the length of track build but hopefully will later in the week. I am thinking that the length behind the shed may yet use Peco metre-length because of the difficulties in getting to it. But I am still a bit undecided. The track power was tested with both the 08 and the ‘Peak’, running off an old Gaugemaster controller.

Anyway, some pics to round off four enjoyable days! It’s a good job I am back at work tomorrow or I might be approaching AndyP in terms of layout building speed :) .... actually, no I had a head start, the main baseboards and framework were already built, and the shed was constructed, so it’s not as much as it seems!!!

post-16721-0-00770800-1539035795_thumb.jpeg

Gauging of the back headshunt road. Using a metre-length and Dapol 08 for testing.

post-16721-0-59388900-1539035873_thumb.jpeg

Wiring connections to the shed. The parcel tape may look a bit Heath Robinson, but it was just to secure the wires while they were past through the boards. All the connections have proper heatshink on them.

post-16721-0-82480000-1539035954_thumb.jpeg

Shed building in position with its first residents. The point at the front was just to allow testing if the track power.

post-16721-0-70723300-1539036001_thumb.jpeg

Confirmation that all the shed lights now work.

post-16721-0-75193300-1539036034_thumb.jpeg

Photographically I think this has potential, once the scenics are further on.

post-16721-0-18310500-1539036065_thumb.jpeg

One if the Yard lamps for the shed. I bought these ages ago off eBay, with delivery from China. The ladders are over scale and will need changing for etched brass versions, but they should look good in the shed yard.

Rich

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Finally had a bit more time to progress things tonight - the baseboards have been cleared of rubbing, the first part of the Templot plan is down, and sleepers for the plain line sections are glued in place.  I am thinking I'll get all the sleepers down and then start on the pointwork and finish up with the plain line sections.

post-16721-0-71346500-1541023775_thumb.jpg

Slow and steady as ever...  Have had a bit of a clear out tonight and put a couple of bits on ebay, including a Peco O gauge point and a pair of GJH Plant Rudd wagon kits (unbuilt) if anyone is interested....

Rich

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Well another few months have gone by with little progress, but I thought I should update things and show that the thread is still going.  Some may have noticed (or there again may not) that I have been absent from rmWeb for several weeks. I have struggled the past few months with a few health issues. However, good days and bad days as they say.  Definately in a better place now that a few months back, but it does make you realise that you treasure what and who is around you and that beyond all doubt, you make sure you enjoy the good days.

So moral of this story, is if somebody close to you seems out of sorts, struggling etc... take time to see how they are and talk to them - trust me, it can make the difference.

Depot Rebuild

Back to modelling, and the rebuild of the shed is coming on slowly.  I built the first of the new points before Christmas and decided it was an abysmal failure so after Christmas I stripped it down and put it to one side.  I will have another go over the coming couple of weeks.  Doing something that has a high chance of failure is not a good thing at the moment.

Heljan Mk1s

I have a Post Office red Heljan BG here, that I am thinking of repainting.  Has anyone reading this ever taken a Heljan Mk1 apart?  If so, is it easy or hard?  Can anyone tell me how easily (or not) the windows come out/go in?  Having seen how smooth and easy Rod's coaches (dmudriver) run on West Kirkby Town, then I think the bogies will be replaced by Easybuild ones at the same time, and I will likely take the opportunity to install Kadee couplings at the same time.

One more thing!

In other news, I turned 40 in December :)  I don't think that was part of the issue however!!  The upside was that my parents very kindly acquired a sound-fitted Minerva Pannier for me, as they wanted to give me something a bit special given the occasion.  It is currently standing in pride of place on the new depot, although awaiting number plates from Narrow Planet and people from ModelU as and when i get round to it, along with weathering or course - that may well involve a visit to North Wales and the skilled brush of Dave (aka Jinty!) 

In Hatton's 'Super Sale' I found a second-hand rake of four Lionheart suburban coaches at a significant discount.  On receiving them, it was very obvious that they had hardly been out of the box, and I suspect only then at Hattons to be photographed.  Super condition and run really well, so that was a lucky find.  I also took the opportunity of a discounted price to pick up a Dapol 6400 Class pannier, which will be fitted with one of Paul Chetter's sound projects, again when I get chance.

So things are moving forward, slowly and not as quick as I would like, but hey, we do what we can, when we can don't we. 

I should have added at the start I hope everyone had a good Christmas and I wish you all an enjoyable and healthy New Year, filled with lots of modelling.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane

Hy Rich I'm in the throws of removing old boards and laying down some new ones for my next layout too.

Chin up, seems like you have a plan and are actively proceeding with it and one I'll continue to watch with interest.

Best

Edited by Barnaby

Hello all,

Well another few months have gone by with little progress, but I thought I should update things and show that the thread is still going.  Some may have noticed (or there again may not) that I have been absent from rmWeb for several weeks. I have struggled the past few months to be honest for a variety of reasons, one of which being that I have been diagnosed with depression.  Stress and lack of sleep apparently is a big issue with it all, and I have probably not helped myself by having been somebody who didn't talk particularly easily and thought you just dealt with everything in life and work, and got on with it, I am starting to realise that is not always the case.  Thankfully, I am not classed as severe, there are those out there that suffer far far worse than me. However, good days and bad days as they say ... if you hadn't guessed, I am on a good day today - although it has taken me an hour to write this.  Definately in a better place now that a few months back, but it does make you realise that you treasure what and who is around you and that beyond all doubt, you make sure you enjoy the good days.

So moral of this story, is if somebody close to you seems out of sorts, struggling etc... take time to see how they are and talk to them - trust me, it can make the difference.

Depot Rebuild

Back to modelling, and the rebuild of the shed is coming on slowly.  I built the first of the new points before Christmas and decided it was an abysmal failure so after Christmas I stripped it down and put it to one side.  I will have another go over the coming couple of weeks.  Doing something that has a high chance of failure is not a good thing at the moment.

Heljan Mk1s

I have a Post Office red Heljan BG here, that I am thinking of repainting.  Has anyone reading this ever taken a Heljan Mk1 apart?  If so, is it easy or hard?  Can anyone tell me how easily (or not) the windows come out/go in?  Having seen how smooth and easy Rod's coaches (dmudriver) run on West Kirkby Town, then I think the bogies will be replaced by Easybuild ones at the same time, and I will likely take the opportunity to install Kadee couplings at the same time.

One more thing!

In other news, I turned 40 in December :)  I don't think that was part of the depression issue however!!  The upside was that my parents very kindly acquired a sound-fitted Minerva Pannier for me, as they wanted to give me something a bit special given the occasion.  It is currently standing in pride of place on the new depot, although awaiting number plates from Narrow Planet and people from ModelU as and when i get round to it, along with weathering or course - that may well involve a visit to North Wales and the skilled brush of Dave (aka Jinty!) 

In Hatton's 'Super Sale' I found a second-hand rake of four Lionheart suburban coaches at a significant discount.  On receiving them, it was very obvious that they had hardly been out of the box, and I suspect only then at Hattons to be photographed.  Super condition and run really well, so that was a lucky find.  I also took the opportunity of a discounted price to pick up a Dapol 6400 Class pannier, which will be fitted with one of Paul Chetter's sound projects, again when I get chance.

So things are moving forward, slowly and not as quick as I would like, but hey, we do what we can, when we can don't we. 

I should have added at the start I hope everyone had a good Christmas and I wish you all an enjoyable and healthy New Year, filled with lots of modelling.

Rich

i stripped my Heljan GUV. 4 screws, dead easy. glazing is just normal press fit

Edited by 47606odin

• RMweb Gold

Hey Rich I'm in the throws of removing old boards and laying down some new ones for my next layout too.

Chin up, seems like you have a plan and are actively proceeding with it and one I'll continue to watch with interest.

Thanks Barnaby.  Good to have you along!

i stripped my Heljan GUV. 4 screws, dead easy. glazing is just normal press fit

Thats great to hear!  Thank you ... I do so more research on the repaint idea then, a chance to use my airbrush.

Rich

• Like 1