Upcoming O gauge sale - End of the line at Marsh Lane

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich, Good to have you back mate, hope things start to improve now that were into a New Year.

Andy.

Sorry too hear of your plight but I'm glad that you are on the road to recovery and I concur with Andy P's statement.... Glad to have you back.... :locomotive:

Jim/Andy,

Thanks guys - its appreciated.  I didnt put the post on for this reason, just to update people on why it had gone quiet really, but the kind comments and encouragement, do help - so thank you.  I see I have much catching up to do with Andy's threads what with Seven Mill, Dore End, Bala Town ... and more than a few minutes has passed so there could be another one now too!

The emoji at the end made me chuckle, thanks Jim!

Rich 

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

i stripped my Heljan GUV. 4 screws, dead easy. glazing is just normal press fit

Thanks. I’ve removed the two bogies and four screws, but the body is locked solid! Have a missed something or does it just need gentle encouragement? I presume the body is both sides, both ends and the roof? Nothing odd like the ends are part of the chassis or something?

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick general update, the first rails are now down on my shed layout, still got to attempt the points, but I am waiting for a free afternoon when I am in the right frame of mind to start them!

Also made some decisions about the big layout, I am going to do an Andy P and have a complete change from where I was thinking. Not sure if I am in clearer or more fogged mindset now, so I may come to regret it! Let’s hope not. I do feel a bit more settled with the changes, and ideas now - it’s taken me long enough. So will hopefully get the fiddle Yard laid during February, then onto the scenic boards. Once i’ve got some visible progress and its well underway, i’ll set up a new thread for the layout, and either draw this one to a close, or keep this just as a workbench thread. I’m more inclined towards the latter, as there is so much useful info here from the past couple of years.

The one thing I forgot to mention last time was that a friend has some 1950s style, black and white ‘Marsh Lane’ road name boards made for me for Christmas! Bless him, so Marsh Lane will become a street on the new layout!

Apologies for another update that is minus pictures, but hopefully this year will see progress on the layouts and some repainting and detailing work on going.

Rich

Just a quick general update, the first rails are now down on my shed layout, still got to attempt the points, but I am waiting for a free afternoon when I am in the right frame of mind to start them!

Also made some decisions about the big layout, I am going to do an Andy P and have a complete change from where I was thinking. Not sure if I am in clearer or more fogged mindset now, so I may come to regret it! Let’s hope not. I do feel a bit more settled with the changes, and ideas now - it’s taken me long enough. So will hopefully get the fiddle Yard laid during February, then onto the scenic boards. Once i’ve got some visible progress and its well underway, i’ll set up a new thread for the layout, and either draw this one to a close, or keep this just as a workbench thread. I’m more inclined towards the latter, as there is so much useful info here from the past couple of years.

The one thing I forgot to mention last time was that a friend has some 1950s style, black and white ‘Marsh Lane’ road name boards made for me for Christmas! Bless him, so Marsh Lane will become a street on the new layout!

Apologies for another update that is minus pictures, but hopefully this year will see progress on the layouts and some repainting and detailing work on going.

Rich

Hi Rich, can you define, = I am going to do an Andy P and have a complete change from where I was thinking.  Sounds interesting mate. :O  :no: 

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich, can you define, =

I am going to do an Andy P and have a complete change from where I was thinking.

Sounds interesting mate. :O

:no:

Haha! One of those I’ll go down this route, then change a bit, then change another bit, then change the lot kind of weeks! No criticsm intended Andy, your style of layout design with SMS and Bala Town showed my confuddeled mind that changes, and big changes not just small tweaks, are part of the design process :)

More specifically, let’s just say my parents 40th birthday present swayed my line of thought given how much entertainment that Minerva tank has so far given on what is currently a very short couple of metre lengths!

Rich

• Like 2

Haha! One of those I’ll go down this route, then change a bit, then change another bit, then change the lot kind of weeks! No criticsm intended Andy, your style of layout design with SMS and Bala Town showed my confuddeled mind that changes, and big changes not just small tweaks, are part of the design process :)

More specifically, let’s just say my parents 40th birthday present swayed my line of thought given how much entertainment that Minerva tank has so far given on what is currently a very short couple of metre lengths!

Rich

I did once try doing a prototype, BITTON, failed miserably, :O  and so now I nail down a bit of track, trying, then re try, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, if you don't try, you don't know.

All the very best mate.

AND enjoy. :sungum:

Hy Rich if you do start a new thread build don't forget to add a tell tale here so I will be able to find it.

Good luck with the new project.  And because you liked the choo choo emoji so much here's 3 more. :yahoo:   :locomotive:  :jester:

Best

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hy Rich if you do start a new thread build don't forget to add a tell tale here so I will be able to find it.

Good luck with the new project.  And because you liked the choo choo emoji so much here's 3 more. :yahoo:   :locomotive:  :jester:

Best

Lol!  I certainly will ... and i'll add it into my signature, so that its easily discoverable!

As some may have guessed from the above comment to Andy, im moving the time period back to the late 1950s/early 1960s ... operating potential and enjoyment, but also a chance to do lots of building construction and scenery, which I never used to enjoy, but this past 12-18 months have really got in to, especially with being able to do CAD design now, I feel that I can actually achieve what I want to.  So much so, I am actively considering buying a laser cutting for thin < 2mm plastics, ply and MDF - the bank manager doesn't seem that happy at that decision tho!  Im thinking for 7mm modelling, a cutter that can accept A3 sized sheets is probably big enough.  A2 would be useful at times, but the jump in size and cost, for me, im not sure is worth it.

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I had such high hopes for progressing with trackwork on the depot today, but that all went pair shaped before I even woke up!  Unfortunately, while turning over in his sleep, my father managed to trap a nerve in the bottom of his back, resulting being startled out of a deep sleep at 03:50 by a call from my mother, requesting help!  So having been up since 4am, I was not in the right mind set, still Dad's back (which is not back to normal by any means) does seem to be improving this afternoon, which is good news.  So maybe next week on the track front!

I commented that I have decided to move the time period for my O gauge back to the late 1950s/60s, something that has been a big decision, given the reasonable collection of mostly 1980s locos and rolling stock that I have accumulated over the past 10-12 years, some of which have been professionally repainted as I never had the courage to attempt to repaint or detail a £500 model! However, I am start to feel more adventurous this past few months, and having made the decision I was faced with selling a sizeable amount of stock that was in the wrong liveries.

Instead, I've decided to start with a small (hopefully) achievable project and start do some repaints and detailing. I have a 10-coach Heljan Mk1 rake, and yes I know there is the argument for the shape of the body shells, but they look decent to me. Hence the first one, a Royal Mail red-liveried Mk1 has entered the workshops (my comical name for the kitchen table) for repaint and improvement.

IMG_9391.jpg.41f667f741f783efaac9c3267af436de.jpg

Current plan is a five-point approach:
1) Strip the vehicle down to its bare sections, and undertake a repaint into all over Maroon, using Fox lining transfers, with Railtec numbering and detailing transfers. Finally weather the chassis.
2) The bogies are to be changed to Easybuild ones to allow better running, and fit with pick-ups.  This will also be a test to see how they run on the proposed gradients.
3) The awkward screw couplings will be replaced. Im unsure at the moment whether to go Kadee, or look at the AJ Coupings, which look far better, but im not sure if they are suitable to 7mm.
4) Internally, paint the guards area. Fit something resembling the normal cages - im sure I've seen an etched brass detailing kit somewhere.
5) Fit lighting to the guards compartment, fit a oil tail lamp, and wire back to a small function only decoder.

That is the grand plan! I only get a day or so each week to work on things, so progress is unlikely to be quick, added to which it needs to be warmer to deal with the respray anyway, so those five tasks may well get dealt with in a different order! If all goes to plan, then I'll move onto the next BG which will be outcropped in Crimson & Cream. If anyone has any thoughts or advice please do shout and let me know! All help and advice is gratefully appreciated.

Starting on the overhaul process
So the first task was to start stripping the coach down. Bogies have come off and then it took some working out about how to disassemble the coach! A quick call to Howes revealed that the Heljan roofs are held on with five plastic clips that just 'pop' off with a little encouragement. This they did, but removing the body shell from the chassis has proved more troublesome.

IMG_9389.jpg.190c835079fb456b07d37390e0bda78c.jpg

I spoke with a friend of mine who has an involvement with Heljan, who looked things up and advised that the Mk1 ends and chassis are all one unit, with the roof and bodysides being separate. That confirmed the worst suspicions that the sides are actually glued to the ends, I suspect with a quick 'blast' from a hot glue gun. 

IMG_9388.jpg.34ce3850c59770151f6478a1f2306033.jpg

Having had an attempt with a screwdriver and knife, I decided that the glue was not going to come away easily, so it looks like I may need to invest in some form of glue remover. I have found some liquid superglue remover, which attacks and breaks down the glue, so I that may be an option.

Getting the whole thing back together again afterwards could be another interesting job, possibly aided by Araldite!

I have also removed the bogies and small screws underneath to release the coupling boxes at either end.

IMG_9394.jpg.34535250e9d0cc77c4fa6daa568e432b.jpg

IMG_9393.jpg.8fbb20eaa6ac48950c07a8b3f5d50e8b.jpg

So having made a decent start, I am at at stop now until I can work out how to get the sides off!

Rich

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

34 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Well I had such high hopes for progressing with trackwork on the depot today, but that all went pair shaped before I even woke up!  Unfortunately, while turning over in his sleep, my father managed to trap a nerve in the bottom of his back, resulting being startled out of a deep sleep at 03:50 by a call from my mother, requesting help!  So having been up since 4am, I was not in the right mind set, still Dad's back (which is not back to normal by any means) does seem to be improving this afternoon, which is good news.  So maybe next week on the track front!

I commented that I have decided to move the time period for my O gauge back to the late 1950s/60s, something that has been a big decision, given the reasonable collection of mostly 1980s locos and rolling stock that I have accumulated over the past 10-12 years, some of which have been professionally repainted as I never had the courage to attempt to repaint or detail a £500 model! However, I am start to feel more adventurous this past few months, and having made the decision I was faced with selling a sizeable amount of stock that was in the wrong liveries.

Instead, I've decided to start with a small (hopefully) achievable project and start do some repaints and detailing. I have a 10-coach Heljan Mk1 rake, and yes I know there is the argument for the shape of the body shells, but they look decent to me. Hence the first one, a Royal Mail red-liveried Mk1 has entered the workshops (my comical name for the kitchen table) for repaint and improvement.

IMG_9391.jpg.41f667f741f783efaac9c3267af436de.jpg

Current plan is a five-point approach:
1) Strip the vehicle down to its bare sections, and undertake a repaint into all over Maroon, using Fox lining transfers, with Railtec numbering and detailing transfers. Finally weather the chassis.
2) The bogies are to be changed to Easybuild ones to allow better running, and fit with pick-ups.  This will also be a test to see how they run on the proposed gradients.
3) The awkward screw couplings will be replaced. Im unsure at the moment whether to go Kadee, or look at the AJ Coupings, which look far better, but im not sure if they are suitable to 7mm.
4) Internally, paint the guards area. Fit something resembling the normal cages - im sure I've seen an etched brass detailing kit somewhere.
5) Fit lighting to the guards compartment, fit a oil tail lamp, and wire back to a small function only decoder.

That is the grand plan! I only get a day or so each week to work on things, so progress is unlikely to be quick, added to which it needs to be warmer to deal with the respray anyway, so those five tasks may well get dealt with in a different order! If all goes to plan, then I'll move onto the next BG which will be outcropped in Crimson & Cream. If anyone has any thoughts or advice please do shout and let me know! All help and advice is gratefully appreciated.

Starting on the overhaul process
So the first task was to start stripping the coach down. Bogies have come off and then it took some working out about how to disassemble the coach! A quick call to Howes revealed that the Heljan roofs are held on with five plastic clips that just 'pop' off with a little encouragement. This they did, but removing the body shell from the chassis has proved more troublesome.

IMG_9389.jpg.190c835079fb456b07d37390e0bda78c.jpg

I spoke with a friend of mine who has an involvement with Heljan, who looked things up and advised that the Mk1 ends and chassis are all one unit, with the roof and bodysides being separate. That confirmed the worst suspicions that the sides are actually glued to the ends, I suspect with a quick 'blast' from a hot glue gun. 

IMG_9388.jpg.34ce3850c59770151f6478a1f2306033.jpg

Having had an attempt with a screwdriver and knife, I decided that the glue was not going to come away easily, so it looks like I may need to invest in some form of glue remover. I have found some liquid superglue remover, which attacks and breaks down the glue, so I that may be an option.

Getting the whole thing back together again afterwards could be another interesting job, possibly aided by Araldite!

I have also removed the bogies and small screws underneath to release the coupling boxes at either end.

IMG_9394.jpg.34535250e9d0cc77c4fa6daa568e432b.jpg

IMG_9393.jpg.8fbb20eaa6ac48950c07a8b3f5d50e8b.jpg

So having made a decent start, I am at at stop now until I can work out how to get the sides off!

Rich

Sounds like more than a major project mate, I look forward to seeing the results Rich.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Have you tried popping it in the freezer to make the glue brittle? I did that to my Dapol B Set and was quite easy to ease the glazing off afterwards.

Ooh, no. Never thought of that, thanks! The windows need to come out too, so I’ll go put it beside the sausages!! Daft question, but how long did you leave it in there?

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Simond said:

Long enough, or a bit longer... 

:)

(couple of hours should do, I think.)

best

simon

Haha Thanks Simon - I love giving that kind of answer. "Well how far is it?" "Oh" says my response, "not far, between here and there!!"

Thanks, Its been in the deep freeze for about an hour and half.  I have just checked, and the ends have now come apart, with a little persuasion, but I have now discovered that the bodysides are glued in several places along the length of the vehicle as well!  Still, all of the windows are now out, so its back next to the sausages for another 40 mins or so, and then I'll have another bash!  Hopefully if that works, the two sides can go in a baking tray that I have (erm, shall we just say) acquired .... and each can then soak in IPA overnight.  

My plan is to progress it as far as I can, before needing to wait for the warmer weather for spraying.

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I have hit a snag in one sense, and moved on a big way in another!!  A further 40 minutes for the BG in the freeze resulted in the three 'blobs' of glue securing the bodyside to each end all coming free.  However, I have now discovered that rather than the bottom of the bodysides being clipped or just sliding off they are glued too!  Three hours in the freezer hasn't budged it at all, and I think that continued "persuasion" to split the bodysides from the chassis is going to end up in something snapping.

So I have a body shell that now has no windows, no roof, no interior in it and no bogies - its about as stripped down as I can get it.  Tomorrow's task will now be to soak it in IPA.  What I have also realised is that Heljan has made the Royal Mail BG out of a red plastic, there's very little paint on it, so the IPA will only be needed to get rid of the screen printed black windows, TOPS lettering, double yellow lines and silver paint on the door handles.

I suspect the door hinges however will succumb to being lost under the primer, so I am now on the look out for the following detailing parts, if anyone can point me in the right direction:

- Internal BG detailing - wire cages, guards area detailing

- External door handles/door hinges, end footsteps, vacuum pipes.

EDIT: A couple of people have suggested Easybuild for the various detailing bits, so will be speaking to them on Monday.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
Additional info.

• RMweb Gold

Quick update

I have decided to leave the bodysides attached to the chassis.  It was not wanting to move in anyway at all, so will simply mask off the sides and under frame when I paint it. Spoken with Shawn at Easybuild and the various door handles, rubber stops, grab handles and door hinges  that Shawn provides in lost wax and etched brass will be on their way shortly, so things are moving forward a little bit :)

Rich

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Evening guys,

Well I was rather hoping that I might have been able to get the BG in primer this last weekend, but given the wetness of the weather it wasn't going to be. A question for those of you, who know better than me.  Is it better to sit the body in IPA to remove the various paint and transfers BEFORE adding the detailing bits, or after? I am assuming before so that it doesn't attack any glue?

This Saturday just gone was a good day for me so with nobody else in the house, I dedicated to do something positive and move Marsh Lane Depot on a bit.  Those of you that follow my ramblings may recall that I lifted the layout that I have commonly called my test bed back in November, sited the depot building that was made in 2017, and was waiting track laying.  Well things moved on a fair way, most of the sleepers went down on Saturday (I do enjoy working with wood!) and part of the pointwork as well.  Back in March last year, I purchased some 3' lengths of rail from Slaters, as it was cheaper than C&L.   They offer both steel and Nickel Silver, I selected the latter (as confirmed by the invoice) and I have only just realised that they sent steel! Doh!  Ah well, it will all work the same once its laid, painted and weathered.  

IMG_9422.jpg.525517e1028424ffae6656e3b82abead.jpg

I have still to work out how to operate the points - my plan was servos, but this layout is down one side of my study, and the positioning means there is no way to get underneath it to fit motors or servos.  Originally I had Tortoise motors moving oversized cranks and rods which worked well, but was too visible.  Going to have to look at it again I think, I am wondering if 7mm rods and cranks could be made operational?

So a small amount of progress.  I think I should have the place to myself again on Thursday, so with any luck we may observe the first movements in about three years on the Depot by the end of the day! 

Hopefully things will plod on a bit quicker, if feel like I am moving forward slowly, still a strong mix of bad and good days, but that's they way this goes.  Thanks to rmWeb I am not going completely out of my mind at home - what do you mean have I got any proof of that???? :)

Rich

IMG_9426.jpg.7e471277ee5d5b164d3e68ad853e1240.jpg

IMG_9427.jpg.a500fac2a471cdbe9b28274e42588d41.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Evening Rich

Looking good..... Get that track down so the peak and the shunter can stretch their legs plus you will enjoy it as well. :)

Jim

Edited by jcarta
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Evening Rich

Looking good..... Get that track down so the peak and the shunter can stretch their legs plus you will enjoy it as well. :)

Jim

Thanks Jim,

Thats the plan!  Peak has been here for what 12 months since they came out ... hasn't turned a wheel yet! The 08s, 25, 31, 37s, 40,  47s and the 60s also are complaining that their wheels are aching through lack of use ... I hear a mumbling of horns! That reminds me, the large logo 47 has a split gear that needs changing - just need to find out where I put the spares now. I know I put them somewhere safe.....

Rich

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm really sorry to hear this, I looked forward to seeing this completed one day, but alas it's not to be.

Anyone thinking of purchasing, I can attest to Rich being  a standup guy who can be trusted completely, I know this from personal experience (having had some HO stuff a couple of years back,) and the prices will be fair I am sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/08/2019 at 00:05, MarshLane said:

Evening all,

Well an enforced change around in my home office because of some health issues (albeit minor ones) means that the shed layout I have been working on has to be removed and broken up.  Despite spending a couple of weeks trying to come up with alternatives so it can remain, I cannot. Therefore it is the end of the line on this.

Regretfully,  but realistically there is going to be no where else in the house to operate an O gauge layout in the coming few years.  I have always wanted to portray a main line feel and unfortunately its just unachievable.  I have a plan for moving forward but it will be in the smaller scales, not O gauge, therefore I have taken the difficult decision to sell the majority of the O gauge collection.  It should be with somebody who can get some enjoyment out of it, rather than sat in boxes.  

I will post a complete list of what is for sale in the coming weeks, but as an overview, there is a Dapol Lionheart 64xx Pannier, Dapol 08s, as well as Heljan 20s, 25, 31, 37s, 40, 45, 47s and 60 - mostly BR blue or large logo liveries.  There is a Dapol four-coach BR maroon B set, nine Heljan Mk1s (various types in blue & grey), OAA/VAA wagons, Cargowagons, some two-axle freight wagons, Marcway and Peco points and Peco metre-length.  Some locos are DCC sound fitted, others are pure DC, most have been numbered/professionally weathered, some have been professionally repainted. For those who build their own track, there is also plain rail (steel), C&L sleepers, chairs (plain line and switch) and ex-JLTRT, now MM1, fishplates.    I am keeping a couple of locos for display

The purpose of this post is to say if anyone wishes to express any serious early interest (your not committing yourself!)  in any of the above, please do PM me, I can provide further details and we can talk further.  With all enquiries, I will work on a first come, first served basis.

Its is a shame and the end of a chapter for me, but a case of being realistic.  Can I take this opportunity to thank all on the 7mm forum for your help and support over the years (you know who you are) and the encouragement I have been shown.  I'll still be taking part in rmWeb of course, but in a different section.

Rich

Hi Rich, I don't know how I missed this original post almost a Month ago. I know when we last spoke on the phone things were looking difficult, but I hadn't realised it was to this extent. I wish you well with whatever you do next.

I have to admit, I'm getting a lot of fun out of my New Mills project, but that may need to go quite soon. I, like you do like the BIG Locos, and at least with 4mm you can portray a Main Line feel in a relatively small area.

I do hope your Health issues are under control and that at least your in a position to do some Modelling, even if it isn't in your first choice scale.

All the best mate, and ring me if you feel you want a chat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/08/2019 at 09:00, Andrew P said:

Hi Rich, I don't know how I missed this original post almost a Month ago. I know when we last spoke on the phone things were looking difficult, but I hadn't realised it was to this extent. I wish you well with whatever you do next.

I have to admit, I'm getting a lot of fun out of my New Mills project, but that may need to go quite soon. I, like you do like the BIG Locos, and at least with 4mm you can portray a Main Line feel in a relatively small area.

I do hope your Health issues are under control and that at least your in a position to do some Modelling, even if it isn't in your first choice scale.

All the best mate, and ring me if you feel you want a chat.

Hi Andy,

Sorry forgot replying sooner.  A plan is coming together for what comes next ... the signature gives the game away!  Big change, but im feeling more comfortable with it slowly.  Not as bigger change as your facing however!  Health issues are all under control now, and the change around in the home office by getting rid of the O gauge layout, as difficult as it was, is already making a difference.  I'll give you a call soon and catch up - promise!!

Rich

• Friendly/supportive 1