Upcoming O gauge sale - End of the line at Marsh Lane

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Work has progressed this afternoon on the construction of the new doors for the shed. The problem with modelling while convalescing is that you get tired so quickly, that nothing seems to get done, or that it takes you four times longer to do what you wanted!

One door is now complete, and the cladding is going into the framework for the second. I've also done another test piece of Plastikard, this time using Opulence Red paint from the Wilko range, with mortar provided by the same store's Mineral Grey colour scheme. Overall I'm quite happy - although I think the red needs longer to dry, before the grey is applied and wiped off.

Still at least there's progress, and I might bite the bullet tomorrow and paint the shed end!

post-16721-0-90914300-1463934380_thumb.jpeg

post-16721-0-22133200-1463934472_thumb.jpeg

post-16721-0-63437500-1463934487_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

Hmm you could have a point actually. I'm going to try and do the red painting of the brickwork for both ends and sides tomorrow, we'll see how it goes!

Can't come up with any other way of getting the 'between the bricks' effect on this plastikard.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon everyone,

Well the first pair of doors are now complete for the front of the shed, going to look at the side pairing next, the come back to the remaining front pair. I've also cut out the external brickwork for all four sides of the shed from sheets of Slaters' Plastikard, and these have now been painted into brick red so things are progressing well. I've decided to let these dry for a couple of days, before putting the grey wash over the top and wiping off.

Next task will be to make up one of the side skins. I'm using Rowmark cut white window frames from York Model Making for the building, and these are generally 1mm thick. With a 2mm thick Perspex glass behind, it will give a 3mm distance between the inner and outer skins - enough to thread electric wiring for the lights etc, down the body sides. I'm also hoping that such distance should give the prototypical style flat brick work along the bottom of the windows.

Once I'm happy with how the side skins have come together, then my plan is to complete the second long side, before dealing with the ends of the building. Next up will be the construction of the two pits and step work, which will probably going to be about as far as I can go then, before the O Gauge Guild exhibition at Doncaster, as I need to acquire the trackwork to run along the top of the pits, as well as that for the rest of the depot.

post-16721-0-46426900-1464022137_thumb.jpeg

post-16721-0-42852400-1464022151_thumb.jpeg

post-16721-0-97596700-1464022197_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

As this is my 100th post on rmWeb, I thought it really should mark the start of a topic on my new O gauge layout, so if anyone is interested, welcome aboard!

Now, as with most things that I seem to do, this one isn't simple, despite first impressions! It's actually a four phase plan, in an attempt to keep things manageable. I am fortunate to have a loft space available to me, that has held a less than complete OO gauge layout for nigh on 15 years. The advent of Heljan O gauge in ready-to-run format (yes I know some things have their faults and inaccuracies, but it works for me) actually made me realise that maybe 7mm would be possible. It wasn't the LNER Pacific's that i'd always envisaged, I do love A1s-A4s, not to mention 04s and WDs, but as a kid growing up in the 1980s in South Humberside, with the freight epicentre of Barnetby only 20 minutes from home, it did rekindle an interest in the BR blue/sectorisation period, which is where I am today! The whole journey started with a visit to Blackpool and a look at Tower Models - note to self, leave credit card at home in the future - as I walked in wondering about O gauge, and walked out with a Large Logo-liveried Heljan 37 under my arm!!

I converted to O about 5 years ago, and have concentrated on building the loco fleet, which is mostly, repainted, modified, weathered Heljan locos from the 20, 31, 37, 40, 47 and 60 classes, you may have guessed that puts me in the BR blue era, generally the early-late 1980s .. Although with a couple of exceptions. I'm not one who has the skills for kit-building rolling stock, although I'm going to attempt a PRMRP BDA wagon shortly, with the aim of building a rake and then maybe progressing onto a JLTRT loco kit, but let's take things steady for now!

For the past couple of years the locos have pottered up and down a 13' x 1.8' layout (well, ballasted test plank really), but having now decided to make a real effort, the loft space gives me a 21' x 11' area to really do something. The plan is to create a locomotive depot, and local five-siding Speedlink yard, supposedly on the edge of a fictional steelworks in the Yorkshire/Humberside border area. I've always had a fascination with steel traffic having been brought up close to Scunthorpe Steelworks.

However, I'm conscious that such a large layout (which breaks my normal rule of less is more, but the aim is to make it look busy) can become too overwhelming and affect the interest level, especially as it is a long term project. Hence the four phases ... My plan is to work on the depot area first, and to make the boards removable from the main layout, so they can be brought down to work on, or setup outside, maybe even form an exhibition layout the future, should anyone be interested. Phase one will be mainly a one board diorama type layout, an opportunity to try and get some realistic images of the locos and stock etc, a bit like the Swindon 'A' shop idea.

Phase two will expand this out into a working standalone layout, with the two or three main boards, being kind of modular, to allow them to be slotted into the loft layout for storage and normal operation there. Again, my idea is to allow the shed to be run and operated outside on sunny days, or over the winter downstairs should the loft be too cold! And should anyone fancy it at an exhibition, it will be self contained, with a dedicated traverser.

Phase three, moves the loft side of things on with work on laying the main lines and sidings, while Phase four (if it ever happens!) would extend the standalone layout by a couple of boards to create additional interest and some different photographic opportunities.

Inspiration for the whole thing comes from several layouts on rmWeb that has spurred me into doing things in recent years. Namely the Gauge 1, Worcester Road Shed) which is simply outstanding, the O Gauge Black Notley the OO gauge Waverley West and a long-time favourite Pengwynn Crossing

So that's the master plan - no timescale or timeframes, it's all as and when, and it's not likely to move at a fast rate, but it's a major milestone for me. Having relied on Peco track and Marcway points previously, I have taken the decision this time to bite the bullet and have a go at building my own track ... I'm expecting a number of derailments! I've also never seriously attempted scratch building structures or creating proper scenery before, so that's two new area's this will attempt, and another reason for splitting the project down into small initial chunks.

I'll get a track plan for Phase 1/2 and Phase 3 posted shortly. The first is already done, the latter is still be tweaked and sorted in Templot, for which I owe a huge amount of thanks to Martin Wynne for all is help, support, kindness and general assistance when I've 'c*cked it up' somewhere, or tried (and failed) to achieve the impossible :)

For those still reading, who haven't nodded off, realised they should be somewhere else, or simply got bored of my ramblings ... Thanks for staying :) and welcome along for the ride. I'd like to think this could become a good two-way forum with comments and ideas, criticisms as well if they're constructive, and some friendly banter and probably sarcasm on my part! Any questions, please feel free to ask! rmWeb has been a source of inspiration to me over recent months and I'm hoping I can provide something back into the community.

As they stay, stand clear of the doors.......

Rich

Hello Rich

Thank you for replying to my post.  Your link brought me here.  And your idea of using part of the loft layout as a stand alone layout is a great idea.  Much cheaper than building two layouts.  I purchased a DJH 03 diesel kit which was not cheap but compared to the Heljan locos.  When you add sound the price of O gauge locos is high.  I purchased a Ixion Fowler diesel shunter from a man on the EDM stand at the O gauge exhibition.  It was painted and had sound fitted by him.  Out came the credit card before I knew what I was doing.  I put on the test track and we started and stopped it loads of times just to hear the donkey engine, great fun.  Ken

• RMweb Gold

Hello Rich

Thank you for replying to my post.  Your link brought me here.  And your idea of using part of the loft layout as a stand alone layout is a great idea.  Much cheaper than building two layouts.  I purchased a DJH 03 diesel kit which was not cheap but compared to the Heljan locos.  When you add sound the price of O gauge locos is high.  I purchased a Ixion Fowler diesel shunter from a man on the EDM stand at the O gauge exhibition.  It was painted and had sound fitted by him.  Out came the credit card before I knew what I was doing.  I put on the test track and we started and stopped it loads of times just to hear the donkey engine, great fun.  Ken

Hi Ken,

Nice to have you along. Hopefully, I'm only a few weeks off the baseboards being started, from which point things will get more interesting to read!

As you say, multiple use layouts are much cheaper, but I also felt that doing it this was, I wasn't spending time on a small diorama board that would hardly be used. O gauge definitely is more expensive, but with the rising cost of OO gauge locos and wagons, along with their size, I personally feel it's better value for money than the smaller scales now. But everyone is different! I've experienced the credit card leaving wallet at sight of O gauge phenomena ... Can be very unsettling! You should have a nice little engine threw in the Ixion Fowler. So far, I've been able to resist that one ... But they are lovely models! I'll reply on your thread, but with the Fowler and an 03, you have the basis for a good industrial setting there.

Hope you continue to enjoy the thread...

Rich

• RMweb Gold

The side door frames have been built this morning, and panelled this afternoon, and look good. I'm giving some thought as to how I can include a small foreman's office into proceedings, having been inspired by Dave on Waverley West - his Haymarket offices are just superb.

The rolling stock fleet has grown slightly today. I came across a couple of weathered Lionheart Trains wagons on eBay last week, and remarkably was the only one to bid on them. Both arrived this morning, and I have to say I'm delighted with them. The mixed freight is now gaining a true mix variety. Having seen the Lionheart mineral now, I'm seriously into saving money to put a rake of them together. Tower Models have a deal on 12-wagons (unweathered) that work out cheaper than buying the kits!

Note to self: must get the front end buffer beam detail added to the D1577, looks very odd at the moment!

Rich

post-16721-0-46323500-1464093933_thumb.jpeg

post-16721-0-56055500-1464093948_thumb.jpeg

post-16721-0-25405900-1464093958_thumb.jpeg

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 9

Nice little Scottish scenario there with the 37 and 26 - perhaps a little engineers yard ;)

Can recommend 37043 ... That was my first O gauge purchase! A tower repaint, and still my pride and joy to this day! Walked in to Tower Models to find out a bit more about O gauge, and walked out with the wallet a lot lighter, a huge smile, and this under my arm!!! :)

Rich

Hi Rich,

Now that is a Beast you can't beat a ploughed up Scottish Tractor. 

The loco shed is looking good too.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Peter, must admit a Scottish tractor with ploughs in large logo is rather dishy!

Elsewhere, work on the shed is continuing, although I forgot to take some pictures today!  The grey 'mortar' fill on the red external brickwork has been added, and although not totally satisfied, I think once weathered it will look ok.  The window frames (which in my stupidity I forgot to order from York Modelmaking) have arrived today and really do look superb.  My plan for tomorrow is to build up one of the sides with the windows and inserts and see how things progress.  Overall, I'm very pleased with how its all coming together, although I'm itching to get on with some track laying!  Debs of this parish has advised that the 0-MF track gauges should be in shortly, so all is looking good for acquiring the C&L trackwork items at the forthcoming Doncaster show.  Is anyone else attending?

Pictures of the shed tomorrow, hopefully!

Has anyone tackled track laid in a concrete floor before - if so, any thoughts or suggestions for the best way of recreating it?  

Rich

EDIT: For autocorrected inaccurate spelling!

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

Rich

I did attempt concrete pn the crossing on Black Notley but I didnt like it. I used the lightweight filler you can get in DIY stores. Make sure you fit a check rail unless you are installing a pit!

Paul R

• RMweb Gold

Disrupted with family stuff today, so have only had an hour to spend on the shed construction. Painted the four sides of Plastikard brickwork a couple of days ago and went over it with the grey mortar yesterday, which was then wiped off. Overall it looked OK, but I wasn't totally happy so the two ends which had the grey added, have been washed over with red again! Hope to have another go tomorrow.

In other news, I've put together the first five Windows for one of the sides together and they look superb, especially the two open windows! Three out of the five have now been mounted on Perspex and laid over the inner skin. The window cut outs on both the inner and outer skin have been painted white to represent the internal framework, which has worked well. Pics now attached below.  The side doors and the internal side of the main doors are going to be covered in a Dark Oak wood stain I think, to give that 'oldy' style to the doors.  The exterior of the main doors will be painted in black and yellow stripes.

Can I also say thank you to everyone that has looked in, passed comment or given a rating. I find it quite remarkable that in the first seven days, this thread has had just over 1,000 views!

Rich

post-16721-0-49118200-1464375802_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-62089500-1464375803_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-71852200-1464375804_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-56898400-1464375805_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-85675700-1464375806_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-94382800-1464375810_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-02214400-1464375813_thumb.jpg

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Guys,

It occurred to me tonight, that i'd put into words my plans for the four phases of this layout, but have yet to put a graphic plan in place! I'll develop these over the coming weeks to show the full story, but the plan entitled 'Marsh Lane Depot' shows how the depot will develop when used as a standalone layout.  In essence, Boards 1 and 2, can be used standalone, or can be slotted into the main layout in the loft, and the track on the left hand edge of Board 2, will line up with the first of the permanent boards up there.

However, Boards 1 and 2 can be removed from the loft layout, and used with Boards 3 and 4, together with a traverser which I built last year, to allow the layout to be run individually either downstairs, or outside during the summer.  There is also the potential, as previously commented, for it to be exhibited in the years to come.  However, the main aim is to give me a small layout that I can operate at home, but that the work involved isn't lost on the main layout.  I do also have another cunning plan, which is way into the future, but forms the basis of a separate layout, potentially still set in the 1980s, but more of a view that it could be set in the late 1960s/early 1970s, on an industrial branch, and the layout represents on end of a yard, along with the locomotive shed.  The idea being that this basis could use the Ixion Hudswell Clarke, or Minerva Kerr Stuart designs in an industrial setting - to give variety in operations and modelling.  In this sense, only Board 1 would be reused, with boards 5,6 and 7 being a totally different design.  The attached plan of Marsh Lane Shed (below) shows how the shed area would fit into this proposal.  The tracks on Board 1 are laid in such a way, that the additional small shed (I thinking something akin to the loco facilities at High Peak Junction) could be included or not, depending on the period being modelled.

As always, comments are welcomed.

Rich

post-16721-0-57328000-1464384560_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-62072800-1464384569_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Things are moving forward on a couple of fronts.  The idea of a 1960s private railway setting, depicting the end of the yard, and loco shed, has moved forward a little - thanks to a tip-off from an rmWeb member, i've managed to acquire an Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST in black at a very good price (thanks John!) so the first locomotive for the private railway is 'en-route' or will be once the Bank Holiday weekend is over!  Its one of the black liveried examples, and will be weathered before appearing on the layout.  The more thought i give to things the more I like the idea of having two completely separate fleets - one a 1950s/1960s private industrial collection, and the other a 1980s BR blue/early sectorisation diesel fleet.  It provides variety and means that a number of different modelling techniques can be tried.

I've also discovered how images can be attached 'in-line' with the text, so i'll try and do things a little different on this post - feel free to pass comment on which you prefer!  For those avid readers (well the two that haven't fallen asleep yet!) you may recall that I had painted the Plastikard for the shed ends red, and then overpainted with grey, and that I was not 100% happy with the result.  Both got repainted red again, and then this afternoon, i've added a very watered down grey wash over the top, which was then wiped off quickly using kitchen paper, to just leave the grey mortar effect between the brickwork.  It seems to have worked a lot better, and i'm reasonably happy with the result. I need to find a way of trying to add a bit of weathering to the end result - anyone have any suggestions?

IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_3504.jpg

The final effect is a lot more even than before, and actually looks better on the photos than it does in real life!  Ignore the messy look within the window frames, thats just the masking tape protecting the MDF below.  So with those two ends having dried and come out ok, i shall attempt the same with the two long side pieces later in the week.

Elsewhere, the first of the shed sides has come together.  I decided early on to create a 'double-skin' for the walls of the shed, both to give the windows some depth, but also to allow wiring for the lighting to be hidden within the walls.  Hence there is an 'inner-skin' and an 'outer-skin' both of which have an internal (hidden) and external (visible) size.  The windows have been glazed and stuck to the internal side of the 'inner-skin', which has also had wooden supporting bars fitted, along with channels for the wiring.  There is also supporting woodwork around the side door, so that the wall is visible when the doors are open.  I've yet to decide if this should be a wooden door frame, or whether the brickwork of the wall should be visible?

IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3498.jpg

This afternoon, i've attached the roof support beam to the external side of the 'inner-skin' - this acts as a beam along the whole of the shed, on which the roof trusses will sit, and as such it has a cut-out for each truss.  Using a file, I've made a 3mm cut out in the inner-skin walls as well - ideally this should have been cut out when the MDF was cut by York Modelmaking (YMM), but yours truly forgot to add it onto the drawings!  But MDF is quite a soft material to work with, so it didn't take long.  The top picture of the previous two, also shows one of the one-piece roof trusses that YMM cut for me - their work really is superb and has saved me hours... along with being far more precise!  The pictures below show the roof beam on the inner-skin - once complete, this will be visible on the inside of the shed.  The second picture, shows a view looking along the inside of the shed, with one of the roof beams temporarily balanced during a test-fitting, purposely to take a photo!  The third picture, is just to show the design of the roof trusses.

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

Finally today, with all the windows having stuck, i've mated and glued, the south side 'inner-skin' to the south side 'outer-skin'.  The result, to me looks very pleasing and effective.  All that is left to add to this now is the inner and outer brickwork plastikard, and to position the side doors.  My thought was originally to position one shut and one part opened, but it has been suggested to me, that modelling them both open, or at least with the ability to be opened, would permit a number of photographic opportunities 'looking in to' the shed.  So further thought needs to be given to that one!  But this is how the 80% completed southern side of the shed building now looks, with the two skins now glued as one.

IMG_3502.jpg

Once the plastikard brickwork is added, and the third level of the window frames (visible top left in the above picture ) are added along with the curved stonework above the window, I think it should all look quite effective.

Cheers

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind comment Andy,

Have to say I'm pleased with how its coming, as its the first time i've attempted anything scratch built - never had the courage or optimism to think it would work!  So pleased with how this is coming together, although i'll be glad to get onto building some baseboards and running the odd train!  Taking the photograph looking down the semi-finished side with the first of the roof trusses temporarily placed, really made me feel like i'd achieved something, the depth to the windows was there, and i think with all the six trusses in place, it will hopefully look very realistic, which has been my aim all along!

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Barnaby,

Many thanks for your kind comments.  It may just be ramblings, but hopefully its interesting and of use to people!  I'm no expert tho, so somebody with far more experience may well say I'm doing it all backside about elbow!  Still it seems to be working :)  Glad to have you along and hope you enjoy the journey - please feel free to chip in with thoughts and comments whenever!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Some progress tonight, although no pictures to show. The 'inner-skin' and 'outer-skin' for both ends of the shed have been brought together, including windows in one end, while the second pair of doors for the entrance end have been completed.  I've also been round and painted all the window apertures white on both skins for the remaining side.  Hoping to complete that tomorrow evening - with some pictures with any luck.  The other task for tomorrow is to attempt the grey mortar covering for the shed side brickwork.  

Once thats all done, I'm hoping to get a trial fitment of all four sides together to check measurements etc.  The next task is to cut and fit the internal brickwork covering, which i think is going to be mainly white with a black band towards the  base, as i've seen a number of images showing old steam sheds in that style.  My thinking is to use some water colour black paint to add some stains and marks to the internal brickwork.  With the internal brickwork, cut, painted and marked/stained, as well as glued to the inside of the inner skins, i think the main shed structure should just about be read to come together and have the roof trusses added.  By that time the GOG event at Doncaster Dome on Saturday will no doubt be up on me, and attention will divert to track building - another area that i'm going to be tackling for the first time.   Plan is to acquire the necessary items for the straight track in the shed, and the various parts for the first point in the shed yard, which will i hopefully keep me busy for a few more nights!  Again, if anyone has any hints or tips, or can recommend any good topics on rmWeb to read with regards to 7mm track building, please shout out!

I decided to hold off building the pits for the shed, until i've got the trackwork down on the base, that way they don't end up being too wide.  One big question I have is what to do with the shed floor - should it be black, grey, concrete effect?  Can anyone offer any thoughts or comments, or even photographic evidence? Everyone's opinion is welcome, so don't hold back!!!

Picture update tomorrow, hopefully.

TTFN

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul,

Im wondering whether it would be best with a 'grey muck' concrete ... or whether in an original steam era shed, the floor would have been brickwork with a blackish/grey much :)

Something like ...

5120c6cb93096e3eca0617296fbc8f5c.jpg

From the Pinterest / Peter Loud website

1638059.jpg

From the Heritage Images website.

Note, i don't own the copyright to either of the above images - simply examples found on public websites, for the link to which has been included for reference.

But in both of those pictures, the floor looks to be be a black, mucky, oily, well used brickwork?

Rich

Rich

Brick for what you are building would probably be more effective. Later diesel depots would probably have had a concrete floor.

regards

Paul R

Edited by pwr

Hmmm, yes, but a word of warning is in order - these may not be bricks, but paviours, which are often a bit larger. And if they are ordinary bricks (or paviours) they will likely be laid flat, not with the edges facing as in a brick wall. So an ordinary brick sheet will perhaps not be correct.

P.S. Many 19th century industrial buildings had what is known as a "beaten earth" floor. This is composed of subsoil mixed with a little lime, beaten down and rolled flat. Over time this matures to a surprisingly hard and robust surface. And of course it absorbs spills of oil etc very well. Later buildings will have concrete floors so a lot depends on period.

John

Edited by John R Smith