Upcoming O gauge sale - End of the line at Marsh Lane

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Glad to hear you got you issues sorted Rich.  Does Chris have an interthingy page?  I think I found a Facebook link.

John

Hi John,

Not sure he has a webpage, but defiantly on Facebook as N E Models, or North East Models I think. Not really into Facebook!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Glad to see you got a replacement Peak. They are a lovely  model. You had me a bit worried that mine might turn up in bits but it arrived all in one piece although It's in bits now. lol  I need to sort some headcode dots for mine too.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Rich,

Glad to see you got a replacement Peak. They are a lovely  model. You had me a bit worried that mine might turn up in bits but it arrived all in one piece although It's in bits now. lol  I need to sort some headcode dots for mine too.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Precision Labels do correct size head code dots (and alpha numerics), and they are on transparent film too, so will show the light through correctly.

Sorry for the hijack Rich

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Precision Labels do correct size head code dots (and alpha numerics), and they are on transparent film too, so will show the light through correctly.

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty,

I might try and make up some myself first it will save me a few quid. 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

Jinty ;)

No problems at all mate :)

Useful information as mine is heading down that way with dots! :)

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Tyne & Wear Metrocar Update

Well things are progressing (slowly) on several fronts, despite my quietness on here!  Here are the almost finished CADs for the front cab end of the T&W Metro car I'm building. I'd welcome any comments/feedback from people - in case you've spotted anything I've missed!

post-16721-0-93574000-1497277055.jpg

post-16721-0-48355500-1497277066_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-04499100-1497277076.jpg

Trying to get the look right with all the angles has been somewhat difficult, especially with only photos to work from!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 2

Rich,

Apologies if you've been there, but you might want to try GIMP software. Martin Wynne shows off its capabilities in manipulating photos to get useable plans on his Templot website - perhaps worth a look before you commit to anything expensive.

Best

Simon

If you're working on flat surfaces, then playing with a drawing program to correct for converging parallel lines will more or less wok, except the foreshortening requires even more guesswork or solving of quadratic equations. You can get it to look good enough, however. Errors increase if you know fewer dimensions, or photo is less 'straight on'. Working with more 3d shapes/curves, non straight lines/whatever, is far more complex, especially if you only have a couple of photos, taken with an unknown camera lens, scanned in from an old book , etc. However, once you've spent a few weeks producing the finished model, folk will soon tell you what doesn't look right.

Ain't that the truth...

Martin talked about having "everything on a plane", this is clearly necessary for the transformations to work, butgiven the rather slab-sided style of Rich's prototype, I suspect he can get some secular dimensions/proportions by using the quadratic-equations-hidden-inside features of Gimp.

Best

Simon

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Apologies for the lack of updates lately - life and a week in North Wales on holiday, seems to keep getting in the way of modelling time.  Hopefully I'm back to being able to do a few bits and pieces again, he says adding this at 11.30pm at night!

First plan is to finish the goods brake van off, and paint it, then finish the brass kit!  A couple of people mentioned, when we were last talking the brake van, that the side joins just need a little bit of filler to finish off, where the sides hadn't quite gone together right.  What filler do people use?

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Oh, I forgot to mention, the chap that has done the CAD design for the Metrocar cab end, has done a test 3D print of it on his home printer.  As he said the rough finish is down to the limitations of his printer, but I think it looks quite good overall.  Still a few details to tweak yet, but not far off I don't think.

While I've got the sides roughly designed for laser cutting in wood, I'm now wondering, given a bit of experience with this brass kit, of putting the bodysides and roof through the CAD process as well and having them done in etched brass.  I may have asked this before (apologies if so) but has anyone any recommendations for companies to use to do the etching, or any tips on the process?

post-16721-0-47552500-1500503928_thumb.jpg

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

I did mention this earlier, but it may have got missed with my double update!  A couple of people mentioned, when we were last talking the brake van, that the side joins just need a little bit of filler to finish off, where the sides hadn't quite gone together right.  What filler do people use?

post-16721-0-22648000-1500814052_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Afternoon all,

I did mention this earlier, but it may have got missed with my double update!  A couple of people mentioned, when we were last talking the brake van, that the side joins just need a little bit of filler to finish off, where the sides hadn't quite gone together right.  What filler do people use?

Hi Rich,

I use Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty (BD44), but I did used to use Knifing Stopper that car body repair people use. it is very fine, cellulose based and goes off in about an hour (it's also a lot cheaper that modelling fillers), it is ok for small filling jobs like the tiny gaps you're on about.

Jinty ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Well a little bit of movement, and there should be some news to post over the weekend!  However, if anyone has a few minutes and you've not seen it, head over to the UK Standard Gauge Industrial modelling of this forum, and have a look at the O Gauge Moving Coal thread, even if your not into industrial locos/settings, or steam operations, the whole layout is so inspirational, well thought out and superbly modelled, it deserves to be seen by everyone!  No connection other than as a fascinated admirer of the layout.

Truly remarkable for its method of operation, detailing and individual aspects of loading and unloading coal.  Every time my mojo takes a hit, I go take a look at that!

Rich

I`ve read through those post`s many a time,and it is a superb layout.

But what i like the most about is the miniature engineering involved,and there are some very impressive metal working skill`s on show there.

Are you going in a different direction now,given you`ve got the NER NS1 kit on the go?.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian,

Yes I'd agree entirely - superb in so many ways, and to me, very inspirational.

No still heading in the same direction, just work and family life has gone ballistic the past two or three months, so nothing has really happened.  Although the garage is now about 35% cleared out, so it is moving that way slowly!  Actually, writing this has just jogged my memory about locos and emailing you! Sorry, it had totally slipped my mind!  I'll ping you an email over.

The NER NS1 kit is coming together slowly, big learning process for me, being the first brass kit I've ever done, but it was a kit I just fancied doing. If I can get it to work and look right, then it will get used on my small test boards, or placed in a display cabinet (if its good enough!) as pride of place for the first thing I've ever built out of brass!!!  

The garage plans hit a stumbling block a couple of months back, which I'll not go into, its too long, but suffice to say I thought that was going to be a non-starter, but I think we may finally have found a way round it, subject to no complaints.  Hopefully if that goes ahead as planned, the only slight change I've made to it is to include two fiddle yards - one for the 1980s and one for the 1960s, which will allow me to run it with Eastern Region steam at times too (my other fascination!) and means I can run my A2 once its DCC fitted!

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well my rail delivery failed to turn up yesterday or this morning, so plans to get some track down haven't worked! But some progress has been made that will be revealed in the fullness of time! On that topic, if anyone is a wizz at Templot, I'm struggling to create a scissor crossover with a pair of double slips at one end ... any offers of help would be welcomed!

On a separate note, I've decided to sell one of my Dapol 08s - having rather crazily acquired four of them, one of the blue one (08202) is going .. looking for the same as I paid £179, it's pure DC, but easy to fit with DCC and would highly recommend Paul Chetter's sounds to anyone. I'll leave it a few days before I put it on eBay, but if anyone wants it, PM me, first come, first served!

Hope that might help somebody!

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well after a week that sounds something like the title of a film "670 miles, 4 days, one wedding, one funeral, and a photographic day" I'm back to doing a bit of modelling!!  I'll reveal more soon, but rather than say what I'm doing, then the weekend go to pot and not actually achieve it, I'll stay quiet!

However, on a positive note, you may recall that the CAD drawings for the cab end of my Tyne & Wear Metrocar were completed a couple of weeks back, I received a very low quality 3D proof through the post this morning and I have to say I'm impressed. It captures the shape and essence of the Metrocars perfectly to me - comments are welcome, but if negative, please offer advice as to why and whats wrong!!  Attached is quite a cruel close up, but I'm impressed with the level of detail.

post-16721-0-30218000-1503589378_thumb.jpg

This was printed on a home 3D printer by a friend of the chap that has done the CAD drawings for me, and was more to intrigue on his part to see what it came out like :) But I'm very pleased, I think a proper high quality print will look superb.  I've been researching and iMaterialise seems to be the preferred option these days, any thoughts, suggests or comments from anyone, either on the shape or who to print it with?

As my own knowledge of cad drawing is progressing quite well and I'm learning the Fusion360 package, I'm rather inclined to transfer my 2D drawings for what were going to be MDF sides into 3D and have the sides and roof 3D printed!

Rich

• Like 2

Hi Rich

Although this is not my area of modelling, and I'm certainly not familiar with the prototype, I must say the level of detail appears to be very good for a home quality sample.

Regards, Deano.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich

Although this is not my area of modelling, and I'm certainly not familiar with the prototype, I must say the level of detail appears to be very good for a home quality sample.

Regards, Deano.

Thanks Deano,

Yes that was my opinion. It's the first thing I've ever had 3D printed, so don't have anything to judge against other than expectations! But I was certainly pleased with it. Hopefully a higher quality print will provide a smoother finish.

Rich

Well after a week that sounds something like the title of a film "670 miles, 4 days, one wedding, one funeral, and a photographic day" I'm back to doing a bit of modelling!!  I'll reveal more soon, but rather than say what I'm doing, then the weekend go to pot and not actually achieve it, I'll stay quiet!

However, on a positive note, you may recall that the CAD drawings for the cab end of my Tyne & Wear Metrocar were completed a couple of weeks back, I received a very low quality 3D proof through the post this morning and I have to say I'm impressed. It captures the shape and essence of the Metrocars perfectly to me - comments are welcome, but if negative, please offer advice as to why and whats wrong!!  Attached is quite a cruel close up, but I'm impressed with the level of detail.

attachicon.gifIMG_6173.jpg

This was printed on a home 3D printer by a friend of the chap that has done the CAD drawings for me, and was more to intrigue on his part to see what it came out like :) But I'm very pleased, I think a proper high quality print will look superb.  I've been researching and iMaterialise seems to be the preferred option these days, any thoughts, suggests or comments from anyone, either on the shape or who to print it with?

As my own knowledge of cad drawing is progressing quite well and I'm learning the Fusion360 package, I'm rather inclined to transfer my 2D drawings for what were going to be MDF sides into 3D and have the sides and roof 3D printed!

Rich

Rich

I have tried iMaterialise and been ver disapointed with there general sevice and there printing service of the items I have had printed buy them they were all as bad if not worse a finish as you have had.

All of my masters for kits or parts for brass or resin casting are printed buy Shapeways and there quality is excerlent with only minimum cleaning up needed before going to casting a lot of them using the same 3D models without alteration that were sent to iMaterialise.

I would say try Shapeways for a better finished master rather than iMaterialise.