Upcoming O gauge sale - End of the line at Marsh Lane

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Rich

More photos of that A2 when you get time please. Looks a good model. Whose was it?

Paul R

As Paul, and a couple of others on PMs, have requested a few more pics of the A2, I've had 10 minutes with the big DSLR and done some proper pictures.  It will be better when the layout is built and there are decent surroundings to photograph things in, but for now these work quite well.  For anyone whose new to the thread, these are taken on my ballasted test track.  The loco, purchased from Steamline, is entirely scratch built - the builder must have had an amazing skill.  Fitted with American-style pickups and a big Bulmer motor, its currently DC only ... and is likely to stay that way for a while, as I haven't even looked at taking the body off and how easy it is to fit a DCC decoder as yet! 

While an Aberdeen Ferryhill loco is out of area for the North East, this was one I just couldn't resist! Hope you enjoy the photos, I need to learn how to do photo stacking or whatever its called, to improve the depth of field on modelling shots!

Rich

DSC_9732.jpg

DSC_9733.jpg

DSC_9734.jpg

DSC_9741.jpg

DSC_9757.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Made a substantial bit of progress with the shed tonight. The fourth wall structure was completed - it still needs internal and external brickwork adding, but with the main structure now complete, it gave the opportunity for to put the shed together for a dry run and see if i'd actually been able to transform what was in my mind to reality!  I'm happy to say, I have!  Still a long way to go.  

The external brickwork for all four sides is now complete, just needs attaching, the internal brickwork has been cut out for all sides, i just need to decide how to colour/weather it (if anyone has any views or comments, please shout! Once thats decided they can be dealt with an fitted, and I think the core shed can then be permanently glued together and the roof trusses properly installed.  Remaining work will focus on the floor, which will be brickwork (well, paviours) as discussed earlier in the thread - but whether that is paper or DAS modelling clay remains. I have found a brass stamp for doing such things in DAS, which may be useful, and the pits, then finally the roof.

Now i know the building is coming together as planned, i'm also proposing to start work on the first of the baseboards over the next couple of weeks, so as they say, this is where things should get really interesting!  Thanks to everyone for their continued support and comments.

Apologies for all the clutter in the background!

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

And finally, just one looking through the doors! 

IMG_0207.jpg

EDIT: In case anyone is wondering the very poorly painted white window surrounds won't be seen on the finished version, once the internal brick work is in place.  I noticed while test fitting that at a couple of angles, the brown MDF may show for a fraction of a mm, so decided to give the windows a white surround to deal with it.  That should, I hope solve any such problems.

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Yes too true!  However, my original idea of mounting this on a three foot long by 18 inch wide board that could be used on the big loft layout or on the portable one will still work tho, so that's the main thing!  Still pondering over the internal colour scheme, and no views or opinions from anyone, so I'm a little stumped with what do to!  Its difficult to trace internal photos of sheds .. presumably because of the camera equipment of the time and the darkness of the sheds!

Rich

Could I make a plea?

Please blacken the coupling on your lovely loco!

You'll be so pleased when you have! Nice though the Premier couplings are, brass doesn't do it justice

Best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Haha do you know Simon, I'd not actually noticed that - but now you've said something, every time I look it sticks out like a sore thumb!!! Yes the hook and coupling are definitely going to have to be blackened before long!

Thanks for the tip!

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

Yes too true!  However, my original idea of mounting this on a three foot long by 18 inch wide board that could be used on the big loft layout or on the portable one will still work tho, so that's the main thing!  Still pondering over the internal colour scheme, and no views or opinions from anyone, so I'm a little stumped with what do to!  Its difficult to trace internal photos of sheds .. presumably because of the camera equipment of the time and the darkness of the sheds!

Rich

I have the two Wild Swan Great Eastern engine shed volumes upstairs. I will have a look and report back

Paul.R

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul,

That would be great. I have the Book Law Great Northern sheds Vol 3 Lancashire & Yorkshire book but can only find one decent interior in there, which is Bradford Hammerton Street. That seems to be top 2/3rds White and bottom 1/3 black, but it was 1979!

Can't think a former steam shed would have been white!

Rich

Rich

Happy to help!

There are a couple of ways of doing it - quick & dirty is a permanent black felt tip pen. Alternative is a touch of paint, but this can clog, and make it difficult to couple, and wears off (not likely to be a problem on the front of a Pacific!). Better way is to file the corners off the hook to make it more realistic in shape, clean it thoroughly with Shiny Sinks or Viakal, then rinse, degrease and wash in metal black (Birchwood Casey brass black) and rinse. You can then heat the links to red & drop in oil, they'll blacken nicely. And to save yourself grief, get a fine pair of pliers and crush the last two threads on the screw to stop it ever coming off.

All the best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Not much modelling done today, but have managed to get 20 minutes late this evening.  With decisions on the internal brickwork still to be made, i've moved on to start work no the pits.  In the pictures of the shed above in Post 78, the observant will have noticed to rectangles cut out of the base, for where the pits will go.  These are being built separately then will be glued in place, but I'm also thinking of putting some form of plastic 'L' down the sides (out of site) to give a bigger surface for the glue to stick to - one side of the L going to the base of the shed, the other side to the side of the pit wall.  Obviously the final baseboard will have a suitable cut out as well.

Tonights work, while not the most interesting, consisted of putting the pit steps together.  When I got York ModelMaking to cut all of the parts out, for some very odd reason (for which I now don't have the foggiest idea why!) the main part of the step was created from 3x3mm MDF, while the actual part where your foot would go, I added in 2mm perspex!  I know - don't ask!  However, as its all going to be sprayed black before positioning in the pit, i doubt it will matter.  I've only done small size pics, but for those who like to see how things have come together, this is how the steps were done!

The sides are 2mm MDF, with 3mmx3mm MDF square spacers

IMG_3554.jpg IMG_3556.jpg

The steps and top of the steps are then added, and the final shot is the first of four completed step units, sat on the base on the pit, with one of the walls propped up against it.

IMG_3557.jpgIMG_3564.jpg

I think, on hindsight, the top piece of perspex will be removed, as that will be flush with the base of the shed.

Rich

• Like 3

Hello Rich

My memory of various steam loco sheds was that the interior was whitewashed down to about four feet or so from floor level, and then black below that. Treat that four feet mark with a bit of caution though, it could be higher or lower - as always, photographic evidence is what you need.

John

Rich

Had a look last night but would you believe it there are very few shots showng the interior.

I did find a picture of Wisbech shed which appears to have been rendered inside and it had jus been whitewashed from top to bottom. The other shed was Ongar where it was whitewashed brick down to the bottom of the windows and then black to floor which is in line with wha John posted above

I hope that helps

Paul R

• RMweb Gold

My memory of various steam loco sheds was that the interior was whitewashed down to about four feet or so from floor level, and then black below that. Treat that four feet mark with a bit of caution though, it could be higher or lower - as always, photographic evidence is what you need.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for that, that matches the picture from Bradford Hammerton St Shed that I found.

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Had a look last night but would you believe it there are very few shots showng the interior.

I did find a picture of Wisbech shed which appears to have been rendered inside and it had jus been whitewashed from top to bottom. The other shed was Ongar where it was whitewashed brick down to the bottom of the windows and then black to floor which is in line with wha John posted above

Paul R

Hi Paul,

Thanks mate. That helps and as you said, matches John's thoughts.  If only we had digital camera's in the 1950s and 1960s! I'll go with white for the main wall, and black for the bottom four foot of it I think. I'm thinking about dry brushing some charcoal about on the White to represent smoke and grime?

Rich

Edited by MarshLane

Hi Paul,

Thanks mate. That helps and as you said, matches John's thoughts.  If only we had digital camera's in the 1950s and 1960s! I'll go with white for the main wall, and black for the bottom four foot of it I think. I'm thinking about dry brushing some charcoal about on the White to represent smoke and grime?

Rich

Rich

Yes, of course the white did not stay spotless for very long! Despite the windows, loco sheds tended to be dim places at best, so of course a white interior helped to bounce the available light around a bit. But then it was quickly found that the lower part of the walls got disgustingly filthy very quickly, and a black "plinth" smartened things up no end, or at least made the grime less obvious. One of the sheds I remember vividly was the old roundhouse at Laira, which I and my school-friend RWP used to explore without anyone bothering us at all in the early 1960s. This was an amazing gloomy temple to the last days of steam, often with a "Castle" or two parked by the table - and out the back were still all the wheel-turning lathes, drill-presses and heavy lifting kit which must have been there since Churchward's day. There were wheels, buffers, springs and brake blocks, number-plates and piles of stuff which had been untouched for years. One day we were there by the coal stage and the crew of an un-rebuilt Bulleid asked us up onto the footplate, then proudly demonstrated the electric lights for the cab instruments and the treadle-operated steam powered fire doors to us. This culminated in a ride up and down the yard when we were invited to try the controls of this mighty beast (under close supervision, of course). I think that the enginemen then were boys at heart themselves, and knowing the end was near for steam, wanted to share their passion with us before it was too late. Then at last, tired but happy, we would cycle back to North Road and home for tea via the Kingsbridge Branch. 

John

Edited by John R Smith
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Thanks. Fascinating story - I love hearing these tales from the shed yard! Hope you enjoyed your drive of the Bulleid. Perhaps Marsh Lane will have an 'enthusiastic' shed foreman in the front office ;)

Depot bashes were something I rarely did as a youngster, not really sure why. I do remember asking to go round Frodingham Depot one day in the late 1980s, I would have been 10 or 11, and the foreman in a very gruff voice said "well as you came and asked so politely son ok, stay out the shed ... And be gone in 20 minutes!" I could have stayed for hours lol! Didn't tho. Remember that day like it was yesterday!

Rich

• Like 2

Rich

Yes, of course the white did not stay spotless for very long! Despite the windows, loco sheds tended to be dim places at best, so of course a white interior helped to bounce the available light around a bit. But then it was quickly found that the lower part of the walls got disgustingly filthy very quickly, and a black "plinth" smartened things up no end, or at least made the grime less obvious. One of the sheds I remember vividly was the old roundhouse at Laira, which I and my school-friend RWP used to explore without anyone bothering us at all in the early 1960s. This was an amazing gloomy temple to the last days of steam, often with a "Castle" or two parked by the table - and out the back were still all the wheel-turning lathes, drill-presses and heavy lifting kit which must have been there since Churchward's day. There were wheels, buffers, springs and brake blocks, number-plates and piles of stuff which had been untouched for years. One day we were there by the coal stage and the crew of an un-rebuilt Bulleid asked us up onto the footplate, then proudly demonstrated the electric lights for the cab instruments and the treadle-operated steam powered fire doors to us. This culminated in a ride up and down the yard when we were invited to try the controls of this mighty beast (under close supervision, of course). I think that the enginemen then were boys at heart themselves, and knowing the end was near for steam, wanted to share their passion with us before it was too late. Then at last, tired but happy, we would cycle back to North Road and home for tea via the Kingsbridge Branch. 

John

Great story John, I wish I had witnessed some Steam first hand, I lived in Plymouth until I was 4 but never got into Railways until I was 27, the Blue period of 1977 so missed all the best that BR had to offer, all I can do now is try to replicate what I see in Magazines.

• RMweb Gold

Same here Andy. I love the B&R video series, if you've never seen any, look them up on the web - there's over 120 volumes covering all the country and they are a fascinating insight into the past! The Telerail Modern Memories series is good for the 1970s/1980s too!!

Not much progress tonight. Another set of Pit Steps built, so one pair is now complete. Hoping to do the other pair tomorrow then I can start putting the pits together properly. Done a test black paint on some scrap Plastikard tonight to see how the paint works and also if the masking tape I've got can give a clean edge!!

Oh and masked the shed doors off ready for painting black. I got some warning yellow from the GOG Doncaster event so once the black has dried that will be the next task. Nothing worth doing any pics of tonight, but hopefully next few days should get interesting!

Got the track delivery from C&L tomorrow so Marsh Lane should hopefully gain its first hand made track shortly! Another learning curve approaches :)

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

Have you looked at Steve Fay's work on here? Or perhaps this thread too:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94913-newton-grove-19f/page-1

Just a thought that it may help or inspire!!

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

I've seen Steve Fay's piece on Ranleigh Bridge and Severn Tunnel that's he's doing ... And following both with interest! But not seen that link ... Having said that I'll go and read with interest, looks good ... But don't think it's Steve's project!

Mind you, next to a large logo 37, you really can't be a grimy work stained WD or 8F can you!!! ;)

Cheers mate

Rich

Great story John, I wish I had witnessed some Steam first hand, I lived in Plymouth until I was 4 but never got into Railways until I was 27, the Blue period of 1977 so missed all the best that BR had to offer, all I can do now is try to replicate what I see in Magazines.

Andy

The nice part about my account is that it all really did happen (which you would hardly believe these days) and times like that you don't forget, even though it was all well over fifty years ago now. I think why we were able to just wander around Laira in particular was because the Shedmaster and other officials were all very busy getting the new diesel depot up and running, so they had more or less forgotten about the steam sheds. The drivers and firemen never bothered us, in fact once they realised you were genuinely interested they often went out of their way to explain things. On more than one occasion I have been invited to "have a go" on the footplate, and of course what they did (which was very sweet) was that they pointed to the regulator or brake or whatever and when you grabbed it they would gently put their hand over yours and just guide it. So you felt perfectly safe, and you were. The Bulleids had a really horrible stiff pull-out regulator which in fact you had to be very careful with, otherwise colossal wheelslip would result!

When steam came to an end down here (and it was relatively early, January 1965 for Cornwall) many footplatemen retired early or found jobs outside the railway rather than transfer to diesels.

John

• Like 2