Cumbrian coast

Marc d

Hi I'm planning on travelling from Preston to barrow in Furness on bank holiday Monday and was just wondering can you hear the 37 thrashing from inside the carriage? Never been on a loco hauled train before so a new experience

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I went on the 10:04 Preston to barrow yesterday, 37401. Sounded awesome, sat in the first coach both windows down. The fumes didn't really come in to be honest

Glad you enjoyed it.

I did this trip last August from Carlisle to Preston with 2 37s, top and tailed. Think it was last day they actually used 2 locos,  Think they now use 1 37 and DBSO.   Tremendous!  Locos were 37401 (like your run Marc D) and 37402.

By coincidence, just done similar run from Norwich to Gt Yarmouth and back last Saturday, with 2 DRS 37s. Again, great sound!   Locos were 37405 and 37419.

Yeah one loco and dbso. Going again in my summer shutdown 2 weeks off. Might do the whole trip from Preston to Carlisle this time though. Shame it's a dmu from barrow back to Preston

• RMweb Premium

Yeah one loco and dbso. Going again in my summer shutdown 2 weeks off. Might do the whole trip from Preston to Carlisle this time though. Shame it's a dmu from barrow back to Preston

You can buy a round robin ticket which takes you all the way round the coast and back via Shap (or the other way round). You can hop on and off too, giving you the chance to sample both loco hauled rakes, have a ride on the Ratty or a pint of real ale.

• RMweb Gold

You can buy a round robin ticket which takes you all the way round the coast and back via Shap (or the other way round). You can hop on and off too, giving you the chance to sample both loco hauled rakes, have a ride on the Ratty or a pint of real ale.

Hmmm sounds tempting now the weather is nicer.  Wonder what I can fit in on a day trip from London!

Cheers, Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Went from Lancaster to barrow on Saturday on 37423 and unfortunately the first coach was out of use. Sat at the front of the second coach and I could still hear it thrashing clearly. Was packed at Lancaster when it arrived, lots of people taking photos. Planning another trip from Preston to Carlisle end of July when I'm on my summer shutdown in work with the Mrs, thinking catching the 10:04 from Preston to barrow and the 11:40 to Carlisle and stay the night at a hotel then catch the 8:42 from Carlisle to barrow the following morning. Bit early to catch the 5:15 to Preston unfortunately

Archived