BRM JUNE + DVD

Having downloaded the latest issue I'm pleased to see Mikkels excellent work being showcased. Well deserved and thank you BRM for doing so :)

G

• Administrators

Hi all,

Welcome to the June issue of BRM. This issue is available to download as a Digital Edition NOW and will go on-sale in shops on Thursday (May 26th). You can also purchase the magazine from our website now!

Remember, the cheapest way to enjoy BRM is to subscribe. Click here to see a very, very special subscription offer!

Click here to see some preview articles from this month's magazine!

Below is a run-down of what you’ll find in this month’s magazine and FREE DVD!

The BRM Team

post-14186-0-41126200-1464011746_thumb.jpg

FREE DVD for every reader

Layout Focus: Northwick – 1950s on the S&D

We show you how to cap your speed with DCC

Handbuilt locomotives of John Webb

The June 2016 issue is packed with great layouts, modelling ideas and projects to inspire you. Here's what you'll find in this month’s magazine:

Britain’s Best Layouts

Walford Town (BR Eastern Region 80s) – EM gauge

Slipper Boy – diorama inspired by a genuine court case from the early-1900s

Rockvilla Goods (BR Scottish Region 1970s) – OO gauge

NEW! BRM Trackplan Archive!

Our new monthly series, offering a range of Trackplans for you to cut-out-and-keep. This month you’ll find:

Croydon North Street – OO gauge

Welton Down – 2mm FS

Addiston South – EM gauge

PRACTICAL BRM

Detail a Heljan Class 33/1

How to… couple incompatible DMUs

How to… build a narrow gauge diesel

Fit a Faller’s Car System

Building an S scale wagon

How to… prepare and paint a brass kit

GOODS INWARDS – PRODUCT NEWS/REVIEWS        

RTR Models: Who’s doing what in 2016/17?

Bachmann Stratford NSE Class 47

Graham Farish Southern PMV

Bachmann Anchor-Mounted Oil Tanks

Sig-naTrak ‘Ace’ Controller

Book Reviews

PLUS

Network Southeast: A brief history

Event Diary

Tail Lamp

I'll be interested to see what sort of reaction Mikkel's 'Slipper Boy' article will get. It's undoubtedly excellent modelling, very atmospheric, well posed and photographed to tell a story. What it isn't is a narrative of how a model was built and only the final image in the 'Fact or Fiction' panel gives the game away about how much is achieved in a small area. I love it but what will the readership think?

Thank you to Mikkel for allowing us to feature the story!

• RMweb Gold

I'll be interested to see what sort of reaction Mikkel's 'Slipper Boy' article will get. It's undoubtedly excellent modelling, very atmospheric, well posed and photographed to tell a story. What it isn't is a narrative of how a model was built and only the final image in the 'Fact or Fiction' panel gives the game away about how much is achieved in a small area. I love it but what will the readership think?

Thank you to Mikkel for allowing us to feature the story!

I enjoyed reading it in the printed version - definitely a different sort of approach and a lovely twist at the end.  Helped of course by Mikkel's excellent modelling which added to the believability.

• RMweb Gold

Who or what is a slipper boy?

Google is your friend - just google 'slipper boy for horsedrawn carts'.  Basically a  slipper is a cast iron 'shoe' which goes under the cart wheel to stop it rotating on steep gradients.

Can be quite an unnerving experience riding on a cart being braked by slippers because they can lose grip on some surfaces and the cart then carries on pushing the horses down the hill so they work harder to keep ahead of it and instead of the slippers slowing it the opposite happens.

• Administrators

Nobody else has commented on the poorer paper quality. Is this part of the inexorable move to on-line publishing?

Ed

That's because it hasn't changed... in fact, I had a major advertiser ask if the paper quality had improved. The cover paper doesn't have a gloss finish but it is the same paper stock, a move made to give the magazine a classier feel and to differentiate it from the rest.

I've just read 'Tail lamp' in the new BRM and I'm delighted, I agree with every word and it needed saying.

John Smith and I exhibit a lot with a number of different layouts in different scales, both UK and European, but one thing is always the same; they are low enough for children to see comfortably (not to mention people in wheelchairs). Layouts such as 'Fencehouses' are magnificent, but I'm 6' 2" and I can't see it properly....that isn't going to inspire many children if all they can see is the curtain. Putting layouts as high as that is pure arrogance; it's saying look at us, aren't we clever and stuff you the paying public. I've seen one small HO Austrian layout where the operator has to stand on a box - what chance have the public got?!

We also operate from the front, and using Lenz 100 DCC controllers it is possible to pass the handheld controller to child and let them have a go, even if it's just to blow the whistle on a loco. The buttons on the controller are large enough for quite young children to cope with and as it's a small and easily understood unit we often have visiting children actually operating the layout within a very short time. In my experience they are always sensible, respectful but also excited and inspired, just as I was when I used to visit Central Hall exhibitions in the 1960's. The parents love it too, though it might cost them the price of a train set before long! 

My other pet hate is layouts displaying signs saying 'do not touch'. I refuse to use them even when exhibitions include them in the pack....I'd prefer a sign that says 'please do touch'. Children learn by touching, they need to touch the river to find out if it's wet. We have never had any damage caused by this, not once, and the message it gives out is positive rather than negative. Ours is a tactile hobby; have you never run your fingers over your static grass? I have, and it does not harm.

Children need to be encouraged; they need to be able to see the layouts, and ideally to do more than just stand and look at them. They have paid to come into an exhibition, they are there to be entertained and should not be looked down on or seen as a nuisance. Children behave badly if they are bored - if they are engaged and involved there won't be any problems. 

Peter

I've just read 'Tail lamp' in the new BRM and I'm delighted, I agree with every word and it needed saying.

John Smith and I exhibit a lot with a number of different layouts in different scales, both UK and European, but one thing is always the same; they are low enough for children to see comfortably (not to mention people in wheelchairs). Layouts such as 'Fencehouses' are magnificent, but I'm 6' 2" and I can't see it properly....that isn't going to inspire many children if all they can see is the curtain. Putting layouts as high as that is pure arrogance; it's saying look at us, aren't we clever and stuff you the paying public. I've seen one small HO Austrian layout where the operator has to stand on a box - what chance have the public got?!

We also operate from the front, and using Lenz 100 DCC controllers it is possible to pass the handheld controller to child and let them have a go, even if it's just to blow the whistle on a loco. The buttons on the controller are large enough for quite young children to cope with and as it's a small and easily understood unit we often have visiting children actually operating the layout within a very short time. In my experience they are always sensible, respectful but also excited and inspired, just as I was when I used to visit Central Hall exhibitions in the 1960's. The parents love it too, though it might cost them the price of a train set before long! 

My other pet hate is layouts displaying signs saying 'do not touch'. I refuse to use them even when exhibitions include them in the pack....I'd prefer a sign that says 'please do touch'. Children learn by touching, they need to touch the river to find out if it's wet. We have never had any damage caused by this, not once, and the message it gives out is positive rather than negative. Ours is a tactile hobby; have you never run your fingers over your static grass? I have, and it does not harm.

Children need to be encouraged; they need to be able to see the layouts, and ideally to do more than just stand and look at them. They have paid to come into an exhibition, they are there to be entertained and should not be looked down on or seen as a nuisance. Children behave badly if they are bored - if they are engaged and involved there won't be any problems. 

Peter

My experience of exhibitions is quite different. At shows with 'high' layouts children aren't usually left to look at curtains but various solutions, provided either by the exhibitor or show organiser in the way of raised platforms, hop-ups and periscopes, allow those of smaller stature to see.

With regards to touching I have exhibited layouts without any signs requesting 'please don't touch' (and still don't use them) but have ended up with damage caused by grasping small hands and also the removal of vehicles and stock while it was running. Having spent ages actually building and making the models I don't really want to encourage people, who are unlikely to understand their fragility, fiddling with them (although perhaps if it's a layout that just features ready-to-run stock and ready-to-plonk scenics it might be a different matter).

Also I do tend to find that often, but not all, layouts that are operated from the front the operator tends to get in the way of viewing. At one show there was a layout with the operator seated and facing the layout so that a large section of it was obscured by the back of his head, and that also meant he wasn't interacting with the public.

Finally I doubt, with a prolapsed disc, arthritic knees and artificial hips, I could last a few minutes bending over a low layout to rail stock and operate it let alone several hours of intensive exhibition operation.

So sorry, although I've not read the article mentioned, I don't think I could agree with it.

G.

I probably should have said that I stand at the end to operate unless I'm uncoupling something, but people are far more relaxed about chatting to me than when there is the barrier of the layout between me and the public. We're not exhibiting for our benefit, we're exhibitiing to entertain people who have paid to see us. 

Peter

I agree with Pete, I made a comment amongst a group of fellow modellers a while back about the height of layouts and got a response that people in wheelchairs could use a periscope to view high layouts, I consider such a move humiliating and degrading, it's bad enough to be wheelchair bound without having to resort to such devices.

John.

Here we go yet again on layout heights.

The height of my layouts is to suit me and my operators who are behind them all day, sometimes 2 or even 3 days. I do not want to end up with a bad back from playing trains thank you. 99% of people who look at a layout are only there for 5 minutes.

As for random touching, no thanks! Only under my supervision does anyone handle anything on my layout. Like G above, I have had things damaged and disappeared at shows.

I do let children operate at shows sometimes but on my terms.

steve

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Graham and Steve. The overwhelming majority of comments I get about the height of the layout are positive, why should 90% plus of people bend and stoop to get a descent view of the layout.

I take a periscope with me to shows and it is welcomed by children and those in wheelchairs. Again, far from being humiliating, comments have been 100% positive.

I too occasionally allow children to operate the layout but, like Steve it's on my terms and touching is certainly not encouraged by anybody.

As for the crass comment that those with a high layout are simply arrogant. Bob Jones who built Fencehouses is a good friend of mine. A quieter, nicer man you couldn't wish to meet. The notion that he is in any way arrogant because of the way he displays his layout is just nonsense. I have both watched and operated the layout and get an excellent view and I'm well under 6' so how you couldn't see it at 6'2" I don't know.

Incidentally, i have briefly read the article in question and I don't think it makes any mention of layout height. It's main focus is on engaging children which I do already.

Jerry

I agree with Pete, I made a comment amongst a group of fellow modellers a while back about the height of layouts and got a response that people in wheelchairs could use a periscope to view high layouts, I consider such a move humiliating and degrading, it's bad enough of be wheelchair bound without having to resort to such devices.

John.

But isn't it just as humiliating and degrading (and quite possibly arrogant) to expect probably 90% of viewers to have to stoop, contort themselves or scrabble about trying to kneel or get down on their haunches to get a decent view? Unfortunately there is no easy solution to layout height. And we've done that one to death before.

G

still not received my copy through the post yet :( quite a surprise given I've been a subscriber for many years

It definitely sounds as though it may have gone astray if you've not had it by now; give our subscriptions department a call on 01778 391180 and they can get you sorted.

Archived